How About Catawiki (now "LAST DODO"!!) for buying stamps?

A venue to discuss unusual and interesting items being offered. Report and discuss fakes, forgeries, scammers and con-men. Also fee discussion, and low listing fee promos etc. Discuss feedback. Great items for sale. New policies ..... whatever YOU want!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Cosmophilatelist
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

How About Catawiki (now "LAST DODO"!!) for buying stamps?

Post by Cosmophilatelist »

Hi,

Browsing the internet I came across the online auction site Catawiki (http://www.catawiki.com).

The site is very well done and the lots offered there look very good.

The site has some very interesting features that differ from other online auction sites like Ebay and Delcampe:

1. The company employs professional auctioneers and experts in their respective fields to vet and curate what goes up on sale. The idea, of course, is to validate what items are put on sale and provide greater peace of mind for buyers.

2. Sellers are advised on how to price items.

3. They charge a commission of 12.5 per cent excluding VAT to the seller and 7.5 per cent excluding VAT to the buyer. So in total, the commission is 20 per cent on everything auctioned.

4. They allow only auction items with an expected revenue of at least 75 euro.

Has someone here in Stampboards sold or bought in the Catawiki?

How was your experience working with them?

Best wishes,

André

aethelwulf
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: How About Catawiki?

Post by aethelwulf »

1. Never heard of them.

2. Looking at the stamp category, there's no organization--for example,

Lot 1 China French Post Offices collection
Lot 2 Poland sheetlets collection
Lot 3 Austria 1933 WIPA mint
Lot 4 group of 54 '24k gold' stamp replicas

And it goes on like that, a random assortment of material.

3. It seems there's no way to search. In the stamp category, on the left-hand side is a bar of links for all the other totally different categories--paintings, jewellery, computer games...but where's the list of Stamps sub-divided by country/topic?
Collecting Mongolia; Thailand; Indo-China; Mourning Covers; OHMS.

mbg1248
I was online for Post Number 6 MILLION!

Post by mbg1248 »

There is a [Search this auction] box at the top-right under the auctioneer's picture. It isn't very efficient, but at least you can search for a specific country.

jkrabbenbos

Post by jkrabbenbos »

I did once buy something via Catawiki, although not stamps. And the experience was good. Only PostNL screwed up so I had to contact the seller, which helped me and everything was ok in the end.

If I remember well they started out as a kind of collection management site where you could add your collection and they started with the Netherlands only. Later on the auctions came in place and it became an international site. And still mainly Western Europe as the target. Currently their business model is based on the online auctions.

On the stamps they have weekly auctions of material with different topics, most of them based on country (Netherlands, France, Belgium, World Wide). Indeed difficult to search, but as far as I have seen there are no more than approx. 150 lots per auction.
Kind regards,
Jan
Collecting: Netherlands, pre-decimal New Zealand, Canada
Special interest areas: Canada Admirals, NZ Adsons, Antarctica, E.H. Shackleton

gugusg
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by gugusg »

For the french stamps, there seems to be an expert that is blind;

A lot of error and bad quality stamps sold as very good stamps ...

Avoid this site is the only advise I could give to you :)
My blog with my French General Colonie Collection : http://phila-colgen.blogspot.fr/

Stewie1980
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by Stewie1980 »

When I first heard of Catawiki they were mostly in the old comics business. They started with stamps and presented the site as an online catalogue.

I visited it a few years ago. The so called online stamp catalogue was a complete mess. The catalogue only lists what all the members listed. Very incomplete and with many different (in quality) images. From blurry scans to fuzzy cell phone pics.

I visited the so called online catalogue again a few months ago. Still a big mess.

jkrabbenbos

Post by jkrabbenbos »

I received an email today that the owners of Catawiki are going to split the collector site from the auction site. It will be named LastDodo (https://www.lastdodo.com).

The owners want to update the experience and push the use of the site they started 12 years ago.

They also want to add the possibility for stores in the near future according to their email, and add a proper revenue model so the site can exist forever.

From the new front page:
LastDodo is the continuation of the Catawiki catalogue and the collectors’ platform.

They have a special place in our hearts because they’re what we began Catawiki with, twelve years ago. We’d like to give them a new lease of life. The first step is that we’re going to freshen up the look & feel of the site.
Kind regards,
Jan

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: How About Catawiki for buying stamps?

Post by Global Administrator »

I thought HIPSTAMPS was the absolutely dumbest name to choose to try and make an impression, and enter this hobby.

However, LastDodo just topped them. :D

Who dreams up these insane names? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, in fairness took a look and saw this Amateur Hour pointless mess -

https://www.lastdodo.com/catalog/stamps/countries-regions-territories/164083-australia-aus

Their image of the Pound Roo is a crude fake on unwatermarked cardboard, that sells for a couple of dollars here - here, they list it at $1000s.

Bye Bye DODO .. a superb name choice. :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is a Kangaroo rarity stamp, according to the LastDodo stamp geniuses
This is a Kangaroo rarity stamp, according to the LastDodo stamp geniuses
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Stewie1980

Post by Stewie1980 »

'Catawiki' is good name for an online catalogue. They should have continued with this name and given their auction site a new name.

The name 'Lastdodo' is a complete joke. No one in the world would link this name to a catalogue.

Just now I took a quick look again 5 years after my previous post in this thread. Their catalogue is still a complete mess. Many "catalogue values" are ridiculously overinflated. And they list many illegal "stamps" with not one word or warning about their status.

andy66
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by andy66 »

Global Administrator wrote:
02 Jul 2020 18:14
I thought HIPSTAMPS was the absolutely dumbest name to choose to try and make an impression, and enter this hobby.

However, LastDodo just topped them. :D

Who dreams up these insane names? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, in fairness took a look and saw this Amateur Hour pointless mess -

https://www.lastdodo.com/catalog/stamps/countries-regions-territories/164083-australia-aus

Their image of the Pound Roo is a crude fake on unwatermarked cardboard, that sells for a couple of dollars here - here, they list it at $1000s.

Bye Bye DODO .. a superb name choice. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I really know almost nothing about Australian stamps, but this one is ridiculous! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Andy66
Friuli - Italy

aerogi
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by aerogi »

I have been able to buy a few good lots from there, mostly accumulation in stockbooks.

I have also sold a few items (mostly rather big messy lots and accumulation), some of them went much higher I could have expected if I'd sell on Ebay for example.

So my experiences are mostly positive.

The good thing, unlike Ebay you can submit all your pictures. In Ebay you have to link them to an external source.

Only listings that will get at least 75 euro will be accepted.

Fees, both for seller and buyer are rather huge.

Orpheas
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member

Re: How About Catawiki (now LAST DODO!!) for buying stamps?

Post by Orpheas »

LastDodo? Dodo?

As in the bird that is famous for going extinct?

Yes, that sounds like a perfect name for a business that expects to go bankrupt very soon. :?

jkrabbenbos

Re: How About Catawiki (now "LAST DODO"!!) for buying stamps?

Post by jkrabbenbos »

The following is copied from the email I received and is in Dutch. I will give the translation below:
De naam LastDodo
Sinds hun vermeende uitsterving in de 17e eeuw blijft de dodo de fantasie prikkelen. Dodo-botjes zijn begeerde verzamelobjecten. De bekende verzamelaar Boudewijn Büch had er een, naast een grote collectie met andere dodo-objecten. Nu is er een laatste dodo opgestaan: de ultieme droom voor een verzamelaar!
The translation
The name LastDodo

Since the extinction in the 17th century the dodo keeps triggering phantasy. The dodo-bones are collectors items sought-after. The well-known collector Boudewijn Büch had one, next to a large collection of other dodo objects. Now a last dodo has risen: the ultimate dream for a collector!

Boudewijn Büch was in The Netherlands well-known for his books, travels, tv and theatre programs, often with far away small islands as the subject. Next to his dodo collection he had also a huge stamp collection about island states. Unfortunately there is no English wiki page, but the Dutch version:

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boudewijn_Büch.
Kind regards,
Jan

Return to “All Online Stamp Auction related discussion and overview”