Revenue Stamp Collectors - Colnect Seeks Your Help!

We all have and handle these from time to time. "Back of book", Revenues, "Cinderellas", duty stamps and all kinds of other stamp like labels. Discuss them all HERE!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

DJCMH
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Revenue Stamp Collectors - Colnect Seeks Your Help!

Post by DJCMH »

Hello all revenue stamp collectors.

As many of you know, for the past almost four years I have been the coordinator/editor of the Stamps catalogue on the Colnect website. One of the focuses that I have worked on with Colnect is to expand our coverage of Revenue stamps in the Colnect catalogue. As collectors of revenues well know, information on revenue stamps is very scattered among published works, websites and articles. There has not been one single global catalogue for revenue stamps since the Forbin catalogue, last published in 1914.

Colnect is a community-based catalogue. That means all our listings are based on contributions by individual contributors. This is of course the "Wiki" principle used by Wikipedia for the construction of their encyclopedia. Over the past couple years there have been several contributors to Colnect who focus on revenue stamps, so that as of early January 2022 we have developed a nice base listing of over 20000 different listings from 275 different administrations.

The current listing of all items can be seen here at : https://colnect.com/en/stamps/countries/emission/19o29-Postal_Fiscal-OR-Revenue

This is of course only a tiny fraction of what really exists globally in terms of revenue stamps, and this is the purpose of my post here. I am seeking the assistance of any revenue collectors who would be willing to work with me to help create a new generation global revenue catalogue that can truly become a one-stop reference point for all those interested in revenue stamps in their immense variety and diversity.

One of the main reasons for the lack of interest in revenue stamp collecting in many parts of the world is, I believe, simply a lack of easily accessible information regarding these stamps. With Colnect, I hope to be able to change that and help bring more collectors into the revenue stamp collecting field, either as an addition to collecting postage stamps or as a primary collecting focus in its own right.

If you have any interest in helping to build up the revenue stamp database we are creating at Colnect please feel free to contact me either here or on Colnect itself (my username is the same on both platforms).

Gene (DJCMH)
Coordinator of the Stamps Catalogue at Colnect
APS #173088 Stamp Catalog Coordinator for Colnect Online Catalogue https://colnect.com/en/stamps
johnrcrow
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Revenue Collectors - Colnect Seeks Your Help!

Post by johnrcrow »

Any clues as to what would be needed as help?

I assume we send scans of our revenues with as many details as possible for inclusion in database?

I add the link to my thread to illustrate just how many stamps are being considered even by me.

I also note that for French fiscals there is an excellent catalog that ideally lists the stamps in some order of issue and with good detailed notes.

I see the Colnect examples, so far, are rather scattered and not so easy for one to assess exactly where they figure as to sets and years.

I always support the pursuance of interest in all stamps including revenues.

So I have approximately 400 French revenues and many German revenues as well as odds and sods for many countries.

What do you need?

Thread

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=94045&hilit=revenue

Here are a couple of pages to show extent.
tasset.png
I can see that individual stamps from this can be sent.

TF Early greens copy.png
Here is an almost complete set and would it not be be better shown as such (?)

Just asking.

Maybe Colnect can add links to suitable threads in Stampboards?

John
kuikka

Post by kuikka »

I can provide number of scans, if that is needed.
vijaysingh
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by vijaysingh »

Hi,

As John said, it would be good if you can specify your requirements.

I can also send some scans of Indian Revenue stamps if that is what you require.

Regards
Vijay
Jon E
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by Jon E »

I can provide images for quite a few UK revenues if required.

Took quick look at Colnect, one facility I couldn't find is how to see groups of items as they'd appear in a catalogue e.g.

1917-1921, Perf 14, 1d, 2d, 3d, 6d, 9d, 1s, 2s5, £1
1921-1922, Perf 15, 1d, 2d, 6d, 10s

I can see how, for example, I could select 1d and then see variations of 1d, which is useful but collections tend to be grouped more like above. I have a growing collection of India revenues and there's no lists anywhere (I believe they'll be in a Barefoot catalogue but they seem to be printed on Unobtanium).

Also is there a clear way to differentiate errors from normals, for example is an inverted watermark an error ? Depends on the stamp. Actually, this is something that really hacks me off with the SG catalogues, for example on some GB definitives sideways watermarks come from a coil whilst others only come about via errors. And on some values there is even sideways-inverted, issued deliberately in coils used in trials so they aren't errors.

TTFN,
Jon
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step
johnrcrow

Post by johnrcrow »

Then we have plate flaws!

John
DJCMH

Post by DJCMH »

Thanks for the replies - let me try to answer your questions

what do we need - basically any revenue stamp that we don't currently have in the database can be added.

Basically the way the Colnect catalogue works for revenues (and all stamps) is that we list items singly by stamp. The stamps are then "united" as a set using the Series field to group the stamps together. So in Jon E's examples the single stamps would each have their own separate listing and then be grouped together as a single series to show the members of the "set" they belong to.

Errors are handled in a similar way - the error stamp is submitted, with clear information in the description to explain what makes it an error if the difference is not due to a specific technical field (like say imperforate vs perforated - which can be seen by comparing listings). The normal stamp and its errors and varieties (like perforation changes) are joined together via the use of a "variant" link

Note that with revenue stamps many contributors to Colnect for what we list have been "flying blind" based on what information they can glean from the internet, so for many countries listings the current information provided, especially on dates, may not be entirely accurate. If you have access to information that can correct errors in the listings we do currently have, you can suggest corrections using the "Improve our catalogue" feature - a dialogue box at the bottom of each stamp's main listing page.

We currently support two catalogues for revenues - Forbin and Barefoot. But for other countries where we do not have a specific catalogue we support, what we now recommend is that submissions made include a reference note in the description field providing a citation from a source that can be used for further reference for collectors. We create a Colnect "catalogue code" for these items so that it has a unique ID in the catalogue. It is hoped in the future we will be able to add more regional catalogues to the database as supported catalogues, but that depends on having catalogue editors who have access to those catalogues to make them "officially supported."

To submit items to the catalogue one does have to register as a member of Colnect (free subscription). Once a member, you can begin submitting items.
Submission of items for the catalogue is handled through our online interface : https://nif.colnect.com/new/stamps

and there is a detailed guide on how to complete the form at : https://colnect.com/en/collectors/wiki/title=Stamp_Catalog_Contribution_Guidelines

And of course if you have questions, just post message here or send me a PM here or via Colnect and I will get back to you with as much help/advice as I can.
APS #173088 Stamp Catalog Coordinator for Colnect Online Catalogue https://colnect.com/en/stamps
johnrcrow

Post by johnrcrow »

Amazed. Such detail and convolutions of tasks.

I just galloped through the guidelines.

These indeed are an absolute in breaking down descriptions of all aspects of stamps.

https://colnect.com/en/collectors/wiki/title=Stamp_Catalog_Contribution_Guidelines

My 400 French revenues and loads of German revenues and other various revenues now seem a massive task if they are to be introduced following these guidelines.

The Yvert catalogue for the French lot is succinct and offers such details, but would need a major sorting for each stamp, lots of cross referencing, for your worthy Colnect cause.

Reading the guidelines coupled with the post third shot Covid vaccination pains, made me quite giddy.

I will ponder more and maybe attempt a few inserts.

A severe learning curve I feel. Am I or we up to this?

John
DJCMH

Post by DJCMH »

John

If you want to try a couple submissions I can give feedback when I go to process. Note that while the guidelines seem very detailed, the reality most contributors find is that after a few submissions the process becomes quite routine.

Also not every field is technically required to be filled out, only the ones that are in bold on the NIfiller form are required for technical data (including color at the bottom)

Also if you are doing a set and the main technical points are the same, you can enter one, then hit copy for the other stamps and just change those fields that are different for the other members of the set (like face value or color).

ETA - An NIfiller can list up to 30 items in one submission before needing to start a new NIfiller.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

johnrcrow wrote: 07 Jan 2022 19:51
Maybe Colnect can add links to suitable threads in Stampboards?

What a good idea. :idea:

In the meantime folks add any scans you have here, Google does index us here heavily, and it may well attract collectors searching for revenue stamps. That is what we do here. :mrgreen:
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!
johnrcrow

Re: Revenue Stamp Collectors - Colnect Seeks Your Help!

Post by johnrcrow »

Hi Glen.

Since you ideally arranged for scans to be inserted directly, I am sure this encouraged and should encourage, more input. Certainly it made my ´inserting` easier!

To others ... It is as easy, no third party and accepts good quality sized scans.

I am aware that the bots do a pretty good job and regularly see Stampboards entries highlighted at the top of the Web tree (s). Unfortunately too many of mine! Getting excited about an entry only to find it is yours is a bummer (disappointment then).

Am I to assume that adding the captions at the base of the inserts increases the chances of Bot recognition? Always nags me. Maybe it is in ´rules?`

I always try and get in the ´Postage stamps of xxx`and hope this also increases chances of recognition.

As to the Colnect... I wish there could be cross referencing built into attempts at cataloguing stamps.

For example, I have submitted many flaws to World Stamps Project and these are a good source of stamp identification. They are building their database, as is Colnect.

https://worldstampsproject.org

I realise this is not an easy task.

Anyway, well done everyone trying to increase awareness in stamp collecting world.

Plodding on and seeking aspirin now.

John
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

johnrcrow wrote: 08 Jan 2022 18:48 Hi Glen.

Since you ideally arranged for scans to be inserted directly, I am sure this encouraged and should encourage, more input. Certainly it made my ´inserting` easier!

To others ... It is as easy, no third party and accepts good quality sized scans.

Am I to assume that adding the captions at the base of the inserts increases the chances of Bot recognition? Always nags me. Maybe it is in ´rules?`

I always try and get in the ´Postage stamps of xxx`and hope this also increases chances of recognition.
John - yes adding captions to EVERY image is essential for all members to do if they can, and adding the word 'stamp' is smart, despite how corny and silly that might seem, as the Google spiders cannot tell if they are STAMPS otherwise. :)

Our next software update is seeing Yuriy in New York write new back-end code that ensures EVERY caption gets google indexed. :mrgreen:

Tasmania 1900 £1 green and gold 'Tablet' Queen Victoria REVENUE stamp mint
Tasmania 1900 £1 green and gold 'Tablet' Queen Victoria REVENUE stamp mint
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!
Jon E

Post by Jon E »

DJCMH wrote: 08 Jan 2022 12:56 Errors are handled in a similar way - the error stamp is submitted, with clear information in the description to explain what makes it an error if the difference is not due to a specific technical field (like say imperforate vs perforated - which can be seen by comparing listings). The normal stamp and its errors and varieties (like perforation changes) are joined together via the use of a "variant" link
Thanks Gene. OK, maybe there is just info missing, though it would be useful to clearly differentiate errors - if someone has a stamp in their hand (tweezers!) they are going to be particularly interested if it is an error (Kerching $$$), but when someone is building a collection and want to know whats in the set then by default you (well, me anyway!) want to ignore errors.
Quite normal (left), production error (right)
Quite normal (left), production error (right)
For example the stamp on the left is inverted watermark because it comes from a booklet - all quite normal. The one on the right exists only because of a production error.

I have a lot of GB revenues and would like to contribute, but time is not my friend, but lets see - or maybe someone can assist ? I do have fair few non-GB revenues as well but in general have next to no info on them.

TTFN,
Jon
DJCMH

Post by DJCMH »

Jon E wrote: 08 Jan 2022 21:29
Thanks Gene. OK, maybe there is just info missing, though it would be useful to clearly differentiate errors - if someone has a stamp in their hand (tweezers!) they are going to be particularly interested if it is an error (Kerching $$$), but when someone is building a collection and want to know whats in the set then by default you (well, me anyway!) want to ignore errors.

For example the stamp on the left is inverted watermark because it comes from a booklet - all quite normal. The one on the right exists only because of a production error.

I have a lot of GB revenues and would like to contribute, but time is not my friend, but lets see - or maybe someone can assist ? I do have fair few non-GB revenues as well but in general have next to no info on them.

TTFN,
Jon
One important thing about Colnect is that we do not include any valuation information - Colnect was originally designed as a website for collectors to trade collectibles like for like, provide a reference for identification of collectibles, and allow collectors to maintain inventories of their collectibles (Colnect has over 40 different collectible categories, everything from Stamps and Coins to Paper Napkins and Teabags). So in that sense we do not really include information whether say an inverted watermark was done intentionally or is an error, we simply note that the stamp has an inverted watermark.
Jon E

Post by Jon E »

DJCMH wrote: 09 Jan 2022 01:31 One important thing about Colnect is that we do not include any valuation information - Colnect was originally designed as a website for collectors to trade collectibles like for like, provide a reference for identification of collectibles, and allow collectors to maintain inventories of their collectibles (Colnect has over 40 different collectible categories, everything from Stamps and Coins to Paper Napkins and Teabags). So in that sense we do not really include information whether say an inverted watermark was done intentionally or is an error, we simply note that the stamp has an inverted watermark.
Hmmm, maybe I shouldn't have mentioned value :) What I was trying to illustrate is two different use cases. If someone started a collection of GB KGV for example, how would they know whats in the various sets ? For trading, identification of errors isn't so important, but if Colnect did include that information then it'd also be a catalogue that would even be one up on standard printed catalogues.

TTFN,
Jon
johnrcrow

Post by johnrcrow »

Rarity should be considered in that it affects the likelihood of ever owning a particular example.

Rarity is usually reflected in catalogue CV. Not easy to assess but I suppose a scale of letters (R, RR etc, ) or symbols can be used to reflect relative expected pricing. Or scarce, rare, extremely rare.

I can see why you steer clear of this.

Most Revenues are not established as rarities but a few are and some members may have examples. How about the Tasmania example shown above?

John
RevRed+
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by RevRed+ »

So, we're looking for examples, like these?

Irish Revenue Stamps.
Irish Revenue Stamps.

Red.
DJCMH

Post by DJCMH »

RevRed+ wrote: 09 Jan 2022 08:46

So, we're looking for examples, like these?

Yes. Currently for Ireland Revenues Colnect has all of 2 items that have been contributed by users of the catalogue in the past... https://colnect.com/en/stamps/years/country/104-Ireland/emission/29-Revenue

And that is another point to remember about Colnect, everything listed is based on a user contributing the stamp or at least the data about a stamp to the catalogue database - there are no "staff" working to permanently add items. Again it's the wiki principle of user contributions to create a reference guide, so it all hinges on what contributors want to contribute.
DJCMH

Post by DJCMH »

johnrcrow wrote: 09 Jan 2022 04:46 Rarity should be considered in that it affects the likelihood of ever owning a particular example.

Rarity is usually reflected in catalogue CV. Not easy to assess but I suppose a scale of letters (R, RR etc, ) or symbols can be used to reflect relative expected pricing. Or scarce, rare, extremely rare.

I can see why you steer clear of this.

Most Revenues are not established as rarities but a few are and some members may have examples. How about the Tasmania example shown above?

John
Colnect does have a "rough guide" to rarity - in each listing there is a percent score listed - the higher the % the lower the number of people who have or want the item in their personal collections.
johnrcrow

Post by johnrcrow »

I did wonder about that % score.

Confused too.

So a high % reflects whether people do not have the stamp, whilst also reflecting lack of need to own?

I would think the people without a rare stamp would want it.

Again rarity not really being considered as it is not ´flagged.

If deemed rare than the % scores might alter?

Also how is the % calculated?

mm.

John
RevRed+

Post by RevRed+ »

Pakistan.

Revenue Stamp Pakistan.
Revenue Stamp Pakistan.

Red.
ernelopez
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by ernelopez »

Hi!

I think this is a very very very difficult task. There are way more revenue stamps than postal stamps...

For instance, estimations on diferent revenue stamps from Argentina, are 100000-150000... Every province and town has its own stamps valid in some cases for only one year... Buenos Aires city series from 1915 are from $0.01 to $10000 (more than 100 values).

There are partial catalogues: the catalogue from Buenos Aires province 1944-70 includes more than 700 diferent stamps.

The province of Santa Fe is the one with more stamps issued... The one listed as Comision de fomento in your site is part of a double-stamp from this province (maybe the other part indicating the name of a town).

Best regards
Ernesto
HalfpennyYellow
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by HalfpennyYellow »

This is a commendable task and I think Colnect has the potential to become the go-to worldwide catalogue for revenue stamps in the future. It is already useful as it lists some revenues which are not recorded anywhere else.

There's still a long way to go, and it is definitely no easy task, but I believe that if enough collectors are willing to share their knowledge Colnect can be built up into an excellent resource for revenues, just as it already is for postage stamps and many other collectables.

One thing I dislike is how revenue stamps are split off into separate countries ("Aden: Revenue Stamps") while postal fiscals are not - this has resulted in many sets (where some denominations were valid for postage while others were valid for fiscal use only) being split up between two 'countries' (look at Bolivia, New Zealand, Orange Free State, Zululand etc).

If it were up to me, revenues would just be part of a country's main listing - anyone who is not interested in them can just choose to ignore them through the "Emission" function.

DJCMH wrote: 07 Jan 2022 16:44 The current listing of all items can be seen here at : https://colnect.com/en/stamps/countries/emission/19o29-Postal_Fiscal-OR-Revenue
Gene - actually you can also include "Hunting Permit" stamps as they are also revenues: https://colnect.com/en/stamps/countries/emission/19o29o30

ernelopez wrote: 10 Jan 2022 03:08 I think this is a very very very difficult task. There are way more revenue stamps than postal stamps...

For instance, estimations on diferent revenue stamps from Argentina, are 100000-150000... Every province and town has its own stamps valid in some cases for only one year... Buenos Aires city series from 1915 are from $0.01 to $10000 (more than 100 values).
Ernesto - you are right that there's a massive amount of revenue stamps out there. For some countries there are indeed many more revenues than postage stamps (other examples apart from Argentina include India, Pakistan, Italy, the USA etc - if you count all the state/provincial/municipal issues) but there are also others for which the opposite is true.

This is especially the case for countries where subdivisions and municipalities never issued their own stamps. For example, I believe Malta has only issued approximately 300 revenue stamps (152 of which are already on Colnect) while it has more than 2000 postage stamps. In addition, many countries have stopped issuing revenues now so in most cases there isn't a massive amount of new issues to keep up with - apart from hunting permit stamps and excise stamps for cigarettes, alcohol etc which seem to be on the rise at the moment.

It is indeed a difficult task but that's not a reason to give up! I strongly encourage anyone who can help to contribute to this catalogue. :D
Collecting worldwide revenue and postage stamps - focusing on Malta, British Commonwealth and revenues in general
ernelopez

Post by ernelopez »

HalfpennyYellow wrote: 10 Jan 2022 07:14 This is a commendable task and I think Colnect has the potential to become the go-to worldwide catalogue for revenue stamps in the future. It is already useful as it lists some revenues which are not recorded anywhere else.

It is indeed a difficult task but that's not a reason to give up! I strongly encourage anyone who can help to contribute to this catalogue. :D
But... If the task is make a catalogue of ww revenues, there are previous catalogues to use as startpoints. I dont see the point of uploading few scans of loose stamps... Maybe someone could just upload all the stamps listed in Forbin, first... Then the stamps listed in newest catalogues, etc.

Regards
Ernesto
kuikka

Post by kuikka »

Forbin shows only a fraction of stamps listed there. And they are not in readily useable form. Forbin is a great source of information, but not for images.

Another thing. Who is that someone, who would do it?
johnrcrow

Post by johnrcrow »

A few more comments.

Obviously Colnect is up and running and apparently attracting input.

Well done for that.

My main worry about Colnect and other platforms that call for input in a random way and that I cannot identify what group of stamp collectors it favours?

The input is mainly subject to collectors stock.

Collectors have catalogues, otherwise they would not know what they have, or need.

So, ´serious`collectors have the knowledge gleaned from one or more tomes.

Less seasoned collectors, with an odd stamp or two, have to identify the stamp in the detail required by Colnect and then we are back to catalogues in the main.

Basically, what is the target audience for Colnect?

One cannot rely, as a serious collector, on the, more or less, incomplete entries.

I am supposing that Colnect is trying to get all the world´s revenues listed, as a golden aim, but we are then back to others point about catalogues already having a large amount of information, certainly as detailed starter material.

Re-inventing or maybe re-sorting catalogued information seems to be what is happening via Colnect.

John
HalfpennyYellow

Post by HalfpennyYellow »

I agree with what's been stated above that it's much more beneficial to add more or less 'complete' listings from existing resources rather than adding individual stamps one by one.

However, any missing stamp which is added is beneficial - one added stamp might invite someone else to add the rest of the set later on.

johnrcrow wrote: 10 Jan 2022 08:08 Collectors have catalogues, otherwise they would not know what they have, or need.

One cannot rely, as a serious collector, on the, more or less, incomplete entries.
The "problem" with revenues is that for many countries there are no catalogues which are 100% complete anyway - so it's difficult to know what's out there (and it's almost impossible to build a complete collection of any country). As revenue stamps were unpopular for much of the 20th century, there weren't many collectors who took note of the stamps at the time when they were issued, creating a massive lacuna of unrecorded stamps.

Realistically speaking, Colnect will never be a complete catalogue of revenues. But neither is Forbin complete for the pre-1915 era, nor are most other revenue catalogues that have been published. For example, Barefoot is very useful for the countries it covers, but the catalogues are still very much a 'work in progress', and many newly-discovered stamps are added for each new edition. Another useful website, Revenue Reverend by Andrew McClellan of the Revenue Society, lists and illustrates many stamps which are not (yet) listed in Barefoot - but the listings it has are likewise incomplete even though it is probably one of the best online resources that currently exist.

Colnect has the potential to compile information from many existing sources, with the added benefit of allowing any new discoveries to be listed as well "in real time" as they are found.

Gene - perhaps you could contact the Revenue Society as there might be members there who are knowledgeable on this subject and might be willing to contribute?
Collecting worldwide revenue and postage stamps - focusing on Malta, British Commonwealth and revenues in general
DJCMH

Post by DJCMH »

johnrcrow wrote: 10 Jan 2022 08:08 A few more comments.

Obviously Colnect is up and running and apparently attracting input.

Well done for that.

My main worry about Colnect and other platforms that call for input in a random way and that I cannot identify what group of stamp collectors it favours?

The input is mainly subject to collectors stock.

Collectors have catalogues, otherwise they would not know what they have, or need.

So, ´serious`collectors have the knowledge gleaned from one or more tomes.

Less seasoned collectors, with an odd stamp or two, have to identify the stamp in the detail required by Colnect and then we are back to catalogues in the main.

I am supposing that Colnect is trying to get all the world´s revenues listed, as a golden aim, but we are then back to others point about catalogues already having a large amount of information, certainly as detailed starter material.

Re-inventing or maybe re-sorting catalogued information seems to be what is happening via Colnect.

John
It is important to keep in mind here that Colnect is a work in progress - even the main postage stamp listings are missing even basic listings of say, post-1990 commemoratives, for many countries outside say Europe/North America. Since all listings are based on voluntary contributions of information from collectors, contributors in general contribute items which they collect (though there are collectors who are helping to "fill the gaps" in a more systematic way - myself included), this means that "more popular" countries are more complete than less-popular areas of the world. But in the end the principle here is building the catalogue "one stamp at a time" until in the end, sometime in the future, a "complete" catalogue is created.

The end goal, as I see it, is to provide an online resource that gathers all the collective information about philately developed over the past 150+ years and synthesize it into a cohesive whole. This is not something that will be accomplished overnight. Colnect's stamp catalogue has been around since 2008, and there are still many years/decades of work ahead. But as they say "Rome wasn't built in a day" and while at present there is still a large amount of missing information that "serious" collectors might find problematic to using Colnect at present, each day more and more missing pieces are added and eventually the jigsaw puzzle will become a completed illustration (and if there were more of these "serious" collectors willing to help contribute, the complete picture might be finished faster.)

In the end there are, as I see it, three levels to this process (this focuses on postage stamps)

Level 1 - the basic bread and butter stamp listings from the big 4 catalogues - Michel, Scott, Gibbons and Yvert. For postage stamps Colnect is, in my estimate, between 80% and 100% complete on this first focus, depending on the postal administration in question. The process began in 2008, and continues today and will likely continue for several years.

Level 2 - integrating varietal information contained in specialized catalogues and regional-national catalogues other than the big 4 - this process has run concurrently as the first focus for some countries, while has not been started for others.

Level 3 - integrating information from non-catalogue sources such as monographs, specialist literature, journal aricles and the like. A long-term goal that will not be undertaken until much of the level 2 work is completed.

When it comes to revenues the process is somewhat similar, with the caveat that Revenue stamps have few level-one resources (Forbin, Barefoot) and more Level 2 resources (national revenue catalogues). And since revenue stamps were much less popular in the 20th century among collectors, their addition to the Colnect catalogue has been much more haphazard, and as such only a tiny fraction of revenue stamps that exist have so far been added by contributors.

Hence my appeal to Revenue Collectors on here who would be interested in helping develop a "Global revenue catalogue for the 21st Century" at Colnect. It will not be a quick process to be certain - just adding all that Forbin and Barefoot cover will be a huge challenge. But the ultimate goal of gathering all the collective information contained in Forbin, Barefoot, various national catalogues and research into one online resource that all collectors can access with a mouse click is, I think, something that will greatly aid in furthering interest in revenue stamp collecting moving forward.
Who is the target audience for Colnect - in my mind there are several audiences that Colnect's stamp catalogue attracts for various uses - there is no single target audience

1) The collector looking for partners to trade stamps with - this was the original reason Colnect was established (at first for phonecard collectors, and later expanding to other collectibles including Stamps).
2) The generalist collector trying to identify a specific stamp and either not having catalogues accessible, or not wanting to haul a hard-copy catalogue off a shelf, flip pages, and search to find the stamp. Colnect has added a quite good image recognition element to the catalogue that allows users to upload an image of a stamp and then see what matches.
3) Inventory - Colnect is an excellent way to develop inventories of what you have and what you want for a collection. Once you create your inventory, you can easily download all or part of it in excel format.
4) Collectors who purchase internationally - this is one of the reasons I joined Colnect in the first place. By collating the data from the four main catalogues (and many national specialized catalogues) together, Colnect provides an excellent "translator" for those collectors who would be interested in purchasing material from retailers in other countries - but do not know which Michel or Yvert number is the equivalent to the Gibbons or Scott number they are seeking.
5) Collectors interested in varieties - for far too long global philately has been split along national/regional lines - most general collectors collect "by their national catalogue" blissfully unaware of what information is contained in other regional catalogues as regards to varieties and such. By synthesizing the information in all the major catalogues into one place, collectors become aware of stamps or varieties of stamps that their own national catalogues do not even mention.
To summarize - the main problem is that currently this information for revenue stamps, even more than for postage stamps - is dispersed and, for many collectors, difficult if not impossible to obtain. The goal is to gather all of this information into one accessible online resource that anyone with access to the internet can use as a reference guide. It is not a goal that will be achieved overnight, but it is one that, for the future development of philately as a whole and revenue philately in particular, will be beneficial for future generations of collectors. In the end as the the digitalization of information continues and younger generations live more of their life interconnected to the internet, the risk of information that is primarily stored in hard-copy only being either increasingly inaccessible to the public or lost completely grows.

ETA - another point. As we have seen, catalogue publishers have not embraced digitalization whole-heartedly. The relative success or lack thereof for the big 4 postage stamp publishers moving to digital platforms has been discussed elsewhere, but where this become a major issue is in smaller publishers or regional/specialized catalogues, and this includes revenues. Barefoot, for example, does not to my knowledge, make digital versions of its catalogues. Will there be Barefoot catalogues in some form say 20 years from now? Will there be Stanley Gibbons catalogues 20 years from now? Hard-copy versions might survive in the secondary market, but they will become increasingly difficult to acquire, and likely at costs beyond the means of many collectors. By gathering the information in a centralized digital resource, my hope is that all the knowledge of these catalogues can be preserved for future generations in an easily accessible format all future collectors can use.
kuikka

Post by kuikka »

Gene,

Especially for revenue stamps, where the information may not even be in any books, I would recommend that Colnect would have some kind of developer area, where it would be possible to enter partial information and ammend partial information provided by others. There people could enter images without information or could provide catalogue information of stamps not provided yet.

Important part of that would be the possibility to include contact information. It should work somewhat similar way as on Stampboards, where I can send message to you without knowing your address. That would allow people to ask some more details about (especially) the images provided.

Also, another thing is that if Colnect intends to go into specialized catalogue domain, there needs to be a possibility to have multiple images connected to single entry. That would allow details to be included, which is necessary on specialized level.
DJCMH

Post by DJCMH »

kuikka wrote: 10 Jan 2022 17:46 Gene,

Especially for revenue stamps, where the information may not even be in any books, I would recommend that Colnect would have some kind of developer area, where it would be possible to enter partial information and ammend partial information provided by others. There people could enter images without information or could provide catalogue information of stamps not provided yet.

Important part of that would be the possibility to include contact information. It should work somewhat similar way as on Stampboards, where I can send message to you without knowing your address. That would allow people to ask some more details about (especially) the images provided.

Also, another thing is that if Colnect intends to go into specialized catalogue domain, there needs to be a possibility to have multiple images connected to single entry. That would allow details to be included, which is necessary on specialized level.
For submissons, we require only very basic information - country, approximate date of issue, currency unit, a catalogue code (which if there is no catalogue, will use a "Colnect Code" which consist of country code, year of issue and a number after, like say JP 1925-01 if it is the first stamp of 1925 to be added for Japan, a name for the stamp (something that says what the design is - Coat of Arms for example) and color. Any additional information is helpful but not required. A note in the description to provide further reference can be added for information on a specific catalogue that we don't currently support. And information can be added/edited later as needed once the stamp is in the catalogue.

As for contact information - anyone can send me private messages either on here or on Colnect (I have same username there). We also have forums on Colnect where threads can be started asking for help in identification of items so it would not be difficult at all to start revenue discussion threads on the forums there similar to what we do here on stampboards. https://colnect.com/en/forum/viewforum!f=43 is the link to the stamp forums on Colnect.

As for images - every listing has two image slots - the second image is used to illustrate details, show watermarks, anything necessary to help in idenfication of a specific variety compared to similar-design stamps.
johnrcrow

Post by johnrcrow »

What a comprehensive answer to my queries DJCMH.

Work in progress indeed.

I will attempt input. Hope it sorts out a few niches.

John
ernelopez

Post by ernelopez »

DJCMH wrote: 10 Jan 2022 18:20

For submissons, we require only very basic information - country, approximate date of issue, currency unit, a catalogue code (which if there is no catalogue, will use a "Colnect Code" which consist of country code, year of issue and a number after, like say JP 1925-01 if it is the first stamp of 1925 to be added for Japan, a name for the stamp (something that says what the design is - Coat of Arms for example) and color. Any additional information is helpful but not required. A note in the description to provide further reference can be added for information on a specific catalogue that we don't currently support. And information can be added/edited later as needed once the stamp is in the catalogue.
Hi

As a revenue collector, I must say that the year of issue is not a basic information... To know the year, it is needed a lot of material for study. I only know ranges for certain stamps. In my own catalogations (in progress) I dont even include the year.

Also the numbering is a messy thing, because you never know when new items will appear.

Here, two examples, from Santa Cruz (1950s-1969) and Buenos Aires province (1944-1970, only the 0.05, third issue).
Screenshot_20220110-084939~2.png
Screenshot_20220110-085039~2.png
Just note what a mess is Buenos Aires! Three different designs (there are two more for other values), 78 diferent series letters/numbers, four colours for control number, four types of control number, perforations... I do not put numbers, for it is not useful. The columns indicate the four possible colour of control number.

I dont want to be negative, but I think this kind of work is really hard. I only could started the catalogation with previous works, lot of material, collaboration with another two specialised collectors. I really dont know how the database would be better for your task, what fields will be better, etc. I hope to be wrong and the online catalogue grows in quantity and level of infornation.

Regards
johnrcrow

Post by johnrcrow »

Vivid details of the complications inherent in Revenues ernelopez.

Maybe there is a slot that can be created where sturdies like yours can be included en masse?

A well researched, collection area?

A great deal of information should be available from more serious collectors and having a collection area (detailed) would show others the stamps, without the necessity of making individual entries.

Having the data already scanned and assembled is a bonus, but dealing with regurgitating individual stamps for the sake of the database is not appealing.

Or is this possibility already in Colnect?

I am struggling with first attempt at an entry into Colnect and find it frustrating that mandatory fields are not so easy to fill.

I will get help I am sure but so far not an easy start.

John
DJCMH

Post by DJCMH »

johnrcrow wrote: 10 Jan 2022 23:51

I am struggling with first attempt at an entry into Colnect and find it frustrating that mandatory fields are not so easy to fill.

I will get help I am sure but so far not an easy start.

John
what issues are you having John trying to fill the NIFiller?
Last edited by DJCMH on 11 Jan 2022 00:00, edited 1 time in total.
DJCMH

Post by DJCMH »

ernelopez wrote: 10 Jan 2022 23:24
I dont want to be negative, but I think this kind of work is really hard. I only could started the catalogation with previous works, lot of material, collaboration with another two specialised collectors. I really dont know how the database would be better for your task, what fields will be better, etc. I hope to be wrong and the online catalogue grows in quantity and level of infornation.

Regards
It is truly a "labor of love" to be sure and unforutunately there isn't really any way to do "bulk" data dumps that I know of. Hence why after 14+ years of contributions from volunteers the catalogue is where it is at today. In the end it really is all up to how much time and work a volunteer wishes to contribute. Colnect does provide free premium membership to those who do contribute heavily to the development of the catalogue, but in the end the time commitment is quite a challenge for many.

For example I've spent the past four hours working on updating information on the 1998 postal issues of Malaysia - adding information from the ISC Tan Malaysia catalouge, missing items listed in Michel, adding printer and designer information. Personally I find it relaxing, but I just might be weird that way :lol:
johnrcrow

Post by johnrcrow »

Will get back soon after I try more.

Does one good to muddle through sometimes. Also it will get easier.... :idea:

I am sorry for all the flack.

The work of others is to be applauded.

John

Return to “Cinderellas etc - all the stamps that are NOT regular postage stamp related”