Australian Commonwealth Official CTO stamps discussion

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

GB 789
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Re: Australian Commonwealth Official CTO stamps discussion

Post by GB 789 »

GlenStephens wrote: 16 Nov 2021 23:05 The recent McCredie handbook listed masses of dates known of the Victoria .. mind-boggling array really. Often 10 or 20 or more cancel dates recorded on any given stamp!

The CTO sets of up to 2 quid KEVII seemed to be have been well bought up, as a lot are about. I always remove these 2 as cat value is decent on them, and sell off the rest for what they get. I mailed these 2 to Europe today.

Your run has no stamps of high cat themselves and is a total mish mash of part sets and duplicates, and many/most will have the deep brown gum I am sure without seeing them, that folks dislike.

A group like that I'd buy for 50 quid in a lot, as a guide.

Thank you that is a useful guide. I should have shown the reverse of the stamps too in my initial question so here they are.

It’s only really the 3d value with the brown gum you mention. The others either have white/clear gum or others have the gum removed. The 4/- value is pretty fresh too still with original gum.
Reverse of the stamps
Reverse of the stamps
The Pom
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by The Pom »

This is on ebay at the minute. I don't recollect ever seeing one of these with a full cancel as well as the usual half cancel, are many known?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294629511258

RooCTO.jpg
Always on the lookout for Australian pre decimal First Day Covers.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Unusual strike. Probably from top left of the pane where clerk started with a full face cds, and then remembered they were usually half and half. :)
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!
The Pom

Post by The Pom »

Sold for US $82 in the end.
Always on the lookout for Australian pre decimal First Day Covers.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

The usual result with clueless sellers. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!
satsuma
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by satsuma »

The clueless seller has made 300,000+ sales.
seller info
seller info
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Yep .. a trained chimp could have done the same as matthijs_philatelie - load up an image and hope.

You really must get out more.

He lists up everything with a low start and lets bidders and his own in house SHILL BIDDING team sort out the final price - several 100 posts on his dodgy activities here -

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?p=7471242#p7471242

Dispute or return anything with matthijs_philatelie and you are banned for life. Great business model.

The 5/- Roo offered by an intelligent seller with a relevant description, would have got double that.

E-Sherman wrote: 02 Oct 2021 05:01
burlingtonbob wrote: 01 Oct 2021 22:51 .
The biggest problem with matthijs_philatelie is that they have fake accounts to bid on their listings. Often they get 'stuck' with the lot and they will relist in 4-6 weeks later.

Ebay takes only limited action because they make so much money on this account. Occassionally ebay will limit the number of bids that any one account can make but then they just set up new fake accounts.

I have never been certain that Matthijs uses shill accounts but I would not be surprised. The limitation on bidding for new accounts, I believe, is a function of a setting used by the seller, not one imposed by eBay. I am one of the rabble of blocked bidders, caused when I asked about an expensive MNH set that arrived hinged.

That said, I have used my wife's account, my business account, and at least one other to continue bidding on hundreds of lots. Each gradually became blocked. Makes you wonder- when does this ingrate start reducing revenue due to his "rules?"

Someone mentioned that he is very childish, and I agree. He reminds me of the soup Nazi on the Seinfeld TV show. Not sure if that show ever made it Down Under. One false move, and it's "no soup for you!" Forever!
PerfinGuy
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!

Post by PerfinGuy »

The Pom wrote: 19 Dec 2021 23:59 This is on ebay at the minute. I don't recollect ever seeing one of these with a full cancel as well as the usual half cancel, are many known?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294629511258

That stamp is now in good hands. Mine! :D

And since it's one of a few I have, I am always open to exchange offers. I am looking for CTOs perforated OS (both Roos and KGV). Just though I would mention that...
Always happy to buy or exchange perfins (small lots, bulk lots, collections, covers - anything welcome!). PM me for details.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Matthijs did not ban you for bidding? :lol: :lol:

Added this up today .. a rare Boer War Charity stamp mint or postal used and have never had a CTO one!

And this was First Day Of Issue - even weirder.

JRKjigEcf.jpg
Lundy
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by Lundy »

Hi all,

Just adding a couple that I picked up at the weekend:

1913 Australia KGV engraved 1d CTO stamp SG17
Australia KGV engraved 1d CTO stamp
Australia KGV engraved 1d CTO stamp

1924 Australia KGV 4½d CTO Stamp SG81
Australia KGV 4½d CTO Stamp
Australia KGV 4½d CTO Stamp
Lundy :)
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Nice pick-ups Lundy. :lol:

Does anyone have a Victoria KEVII high value used for UPU distribution?

The Cancel on this is '28' for day, and Bendon shows a pix of '06' for year in his example. Does anyone have the MONTH of a stamp they have, or an image? McCredie sadly does not list these UPU CTO cancels.

Victoria 1902 KEVII £1, superb CTO UPU 'OS' Specimen: Sensational looking stamp. Really weirdly, this and same design £2 were the ONLY postage stamps from any state, to issue stamps depicting KEVII. QV died in 1901, yet until the Kangaroo stamps in 1913, these 2 were the only postage stamps to show KEVII - Q.Vic was depicted on every other State’s stamps. Today’s prices are ABSURD. With magnificent centering and perfs for these. The £1 small ‘OS’ Roo version of this value that replaced it is cat $15,000! This scarce perf 11, 1905 V Over Crown watermark (SG 407 without OS) ware CTO for UPU distribution each with a cds cancel of ‘XX 28 :06’ - see Bendon image page 70. (Do not confuse this with the rather common 'OS', CTO perf 12.4 version.)

Only 750 were ever made, in strips of 3 per UPU country, and near all are still in official PO Archives still. ACSC V126b, Cat $350 as a UPU Specimen – 18 years back – worth easily double that now. This is a fully Australian Commonwealth stamp - first issued 4 years after Federation. Better States stamps prices are going NUTS this year, see – www.tinyurl.com/GlenFeb19 so secure key examples NOW, before retail prices keep climbing. Show me another of these for sale GLOBALLY – you cannot. I am working on SG to add official PERFINS to each state, and when they do, hold onto your hats, as global demand will explode, and prices will go gangbusters, as the high values are RARE. SUPERB used, clean and fresh, and pristine flat CTO, totally free of the usual hinges and gook and gunk etc, and vibrant deep colour: $A425 (Stock 615BK)
GB 789

Post by GB 789 »

I came across this stamp posted by member Didge on another thread from 2009 (The Commonwealth period SA Long Toms - https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=12418)

It would appear there is no month code in the date stamp so perhaps that explains the dearth of information.
Missing month code in CTO cancel.
Missing month code in CTO cancel.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Excellent, that might well be the answer. 8-)

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”