Does anyone know who coined the term 'Cinderella' stamps?

We all have and handle these from time to time. "Back of book", Revenues, "Cinderellas", duty stamps and all kinds of other stamp like labels. Discuss them all HERE!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

FRV
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Does anyone know who coined the term 'Cinderella' stamps?

Post by FRV »

Does anyone know who coined the term 'cinderella'?

To me it sounds derogatory and I wonder if it was meant to be.

The term 'artistamps' – a conflation whose 'i' somehow undermines any sense of gravitas – to describe artists' stamps, isn't much better.

Many stamp collectors are dismissive of non-official stamps and much snobbery exists, obviously.

I can understand that when you see some of the artistic rubbish (IMO) that is produced under the term 'cinderella'.
_Eagle_scan_1.jpg
Although many official issues are also garbage, of course.

Any thoughts?

The rules here state "We insist on seeing IMAGE(S) in each new thread" so here's a stamp (designed by me) from Zombieland. It shouldn't be too hard to guess which country it's attempting to mock.
Supporting anti-war protest and Civil Rights in Russia.
ViccyVFU
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: What do you think about the term 'cinderella' to describe non-official stamps?

Post by ViccyVFU »

Its just an umbrella term for cinders .....

You know, "The stuff you would normally burn or shred, if you were not so busy" :mrgreen:

cinders.jpg

Perfectly collectable in their own right, but often "a pollutant, at the general level".

FRV

Re: Does anyone know who coined the term 'cinderella' stamps?

Post by FRV »

In other words, a derogatory term.

Wikipedia says: "Named after Cinderella, a folk-tale underdog heroine who was treated as inferior within her family. Cinderella stamps similarly were considered inferior to postage stamps."

I should add that the title of this thread has been changed, presumably by a moderator. I'm more interested in what people think of the term, than who coined it.

As cultural objects, both postage and non-postage stamps can be equally as interesting and revealing.
satsuma
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Post by satsuma »

Interestingly the Cinderella club specifically includes forgeries and fakes in the category.

To my mind, these belong in a separate group as their is an intent to defraud, both prior to and at the time of, their release onto the market.

Compare this with say, the Anpex 5/- harbour bridge stamp, which may now be used to gull the naive, but had a different purpose at the time of issue.

Also perhaps more thought could be given before considering the term derogatory.

One way of considering the Cinderella story is that it is about a gem hidden in the dross which could only be found by the discerning
ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

FRV wrote: 02 Aug 2022 23:05 Many stamp collectors are dismissive of non-official stamps and much snobbery exists, obviously.

It isn't really snobbery "to ignore the things you don't collect".
... Others might just call it "Focussed".

Wiki has a good primer, for people struggling with the term, as it covers many bases ....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinderella_stamp

Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

I don't find the name Cinderella the least bit derogatory. I like the name.

Far better than Non-Fungible Token.
:lol: :lol:
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, lighthouses, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !
Rigs
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Rigs »

Ubobo.R.O. wrote: 03 Aug 2022 12:38 I don't find the name Cinderella the least bit derogatory. I like the name.

Would agree with that!

Wonder whether it is some oblique derivation from the folk tale (Wikipedia):

"The word Cinderella has, by analogy, come to mean one whose attributes were unrecognized: one who unexpectedly achieves recognition or success after a period of obscurity and neglect."
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Ubobo.R.O. wrote: 03 Aug 2022 12:38 I don't find the name Cinderella the least bit derogatory. I like the name.

Ditto. :)

The term has been in use over a Century.

There are soon VERY cool Cinderella Stamps out there.

I often sell things into the $100s apiece region.

This tatty cover sold for $A380 after intense bidding for one reason - the DON BRADMAN Cinderella -

That is more than a 1932 5/- Mint Sydney Harbour Bridge stamp fetches. :lol: :lol: :lol:

These Bradman Cinderellas routinely get 3 figures even OFF cover -

Members interested should source this from a member here - 860 PAGES of them - at less than $US10 to buy - took him WEEKS of work to scan them all in. Covers Australasian and much WORLD material - info available nowhere else -

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?p=6466944

Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
FRV

Re: Does anyone know who coined the term 'Cinderella' stamps?

Post by FRV »

I guess being called Cinderella is better than being called Ugly Sister, after all.

And don't get me wrong, I'm very interested in non-postage stamps. There's no reason why some shouldn't be valuable!

I certainly wasn't aware that the term is so old. Any idea where it originated?
FRV

Post by FRV »

ViccyVFU wrote: 03 Aug 2022 12:08It isn't really snobbery "to ignore the things you don't collect".
Indeed, but let's be honest, some people are certainly snobbish about "fake" stamps. I use that word deliberately because that sums up some of the negative opinions I've come across. Opinions people are entitled to, of course!
ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

FRV wrote: 03 Aug 2022 22:53 I certainly wasn't aware that the term is so old. Any idea where it originated?
https://www.dictionary.com/e/cinderella-story/

FRV wrote: 03 Aug 2022 23:00 Indeed, but let's be honest, some people are certainly snobbish about "fake" stamps.

"That's not snobbish, that's just law abiding" :mrgreen:

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

FRV wrote: 03 Aug 2022 23:00

Indeed, but let's be honest, some people are certainly snobbish about "fake" stamps. I use that word deliberately because that sums up some of the negative opinions I've come across.

I've made a fortune selling fake stamps. Clearly described as fakes. No snobbery involved as they sell almost instantly.

I get $A6000 each for these. More than the genuines fetch. The cancel tells you everything, for those with good eyes. :lol:

Glen
Roo 2pd Sperati 1-17 ex Gray new type.jpg
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
FRV

Post by FRV »

Global Administrator wrote: 03 Aug 2022 23:46 I've made a fortune selling fake stamps. Clearly described as fakes.
I meant that I've heard the term 'fake' used to snobbishly denigrate non-postage stamps, not to describe counterfeits of official postage stamps.

I guess counterfeits exist in a grey area: are they postage or non-postage?

I've seen stamps that weren't mimicking actual stamps, but were mimicking a certain country's issues. No one would know they weren't official without referring to a catalogue.
FRV

Post by FRV »

ViccyVFU wrote: 03 Aug 2022 23:36 "That's not snobbish, that's just law abiding" :mrgreen:
I meant that I've heard the term 'fake' used to snobbishly denigrate non-postage stamps, not to describe counterfeits of official postage stamps.
capetriangle

Post by capetriangle »

To give a possible answer to the question, I always thought that the term emanated from the Williams Brothers.

Kindest regards

Richard Debney
drh
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by drh »

In the olden days designing home made stamp-shaped objects would have required lots of artistic skill, ingenuity and cultural knowledge however with such an array of free design apps and software available, anyone can knock up a witless or copycat cinderella in minutes, as the OP demonstrated.
FRV

Post by FRV »

drh wrote: 04 Aug 2022 01:18 In the olden days designing home made stamp-shaped objects would have required lots of artistic skill, ingenuity and cultural knowledge however with such an array of free design apps and software available, anyone can knock up a witless or copycat cinderella in minutes, as the OP demonstrated.
“Witless”, to you, presumably because the design satirises the Russian fascist regime (AKA Zombieland) you appear to so readily support.
FRV

Post by FRV »

capetriangle wrote: 04 Aug 2022 00:34 To give a possible answer to the question, I always thought that the term emanated from the Williams Brothers.

Kindest regards

Richard Debney
Thanks Richard. Here's a little bit more information about them for anyone who's interested.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L._N._and_M._Williams

I actually Googled "Williams Brothers stamps" and coincidentally came across these labels, which were similar to Green Shield Stamps and the like.

http://www.worldofcoins.eu/wiki/UK_Williams_Brothers_tokens
Attachments
Williams.png
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

s-l1600vvv.jpg
Cinderella stamps have been around for at least 125 years - these above were far better engraved, intaglio steel recess printed, than most 'official' postage stamps globally.

This society below was set up 120 years back. I am sure Cinderella type stamps were keenly embraced there. :!:

Fiscal_Philatelic_Society_advert.jpg
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

FRV wrote: 04 Aug 2022 02:04
I actually Googled "Williams Brothers stamps" and coincidentally came across these labels, which were similar to Green Shield Stamps and the like.

These have absolutely ZERO to do with the stamp brothers.

PLEASE learn how to add attachments inline correctly.
drh

Post by drh »

FRV wrote: 04 Aug 2022 01:55
“Witless”, to you, presumably because the design satirises the Russian fascist regime (AKA Zombieland) you appear to so readily support.
No, it's a bit sixth form common room.

NB to non English posters this means something one would see in a teenage student's sketchpad, railing at the man/system/fashist regime.

Back on topic, I have an envelope with cinderellas, including some lovely ones featuring ships and boats from a mysterious place.
FRV

Post by FRV »

Global Administrator wrote: 04 Aug 2022 02:27
FRV wrote: 04 Aug 2022 02:04

These have absolutely ZERO to do with the stamp brothers.

PLEASE learn how to add attachments inline correctly.
I never claimed the labels had anything to do with the Williams Brothers originally referred to.

I said I "coincidentally" came across some labels with the same name. Thanks.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

drh wrote: 04 Aug 2022 02:53

NB to non English posters this means something one would see in a teenage student's sketchpad, railing at the man/system/fashist regime.

Back on topic, I have an envelope with cinderellas, including some lovely ones featuring ships and boats from a mysterious place.

Quite skilled artwork to my eyes anyway .. I envy those who can produce that standard. :mrgreen:

FRV

Post by FRV »

drh wrote: 04 Aug 2022 02:53

There is a long artistic tradition of using montage, collage, the idea of mixing and remixing, etc, in order to convey a political message.

My design uses a combination of symbols (Nazi, Russian, Orwellian), with Russia’s pro-war Z insignia centre stage, to illustrate Russia’s descent into a fascist state. I think it’s reasonably succinctly done: college-level, at least, surely!

It is, as you know, a fundraising stamp, with funds raised going to support anti-war protest in Russia.

I personally don’t call that “railing at the man/system/fashist regime”, I call that trying to do something to help real people who are suffering repression for saying that they think the war in Ukraine is wrong.

I can only presume you support Russia’s invasion and bombing of Ukraine.

Apologies to everyone else if this is somewhat off-topic!
drh

Post by drh »

It's a little derivative though but the monotone works okay.

The fellow travellers of the Azov guys would have loved this old Russophobic, anti-semitic, anticommunist cinderella from the time of the big one.
JEWSh.png
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Yes, more Cinderellas that sell for $100s.

The Russian leader, then as now were both very nasty b*astards.

Joseph Stalin's head in place of KGV was pretty cheeky. :mrgreen:

Always keenly sought by GB collectors, Silver Jubilee stamp collectors, and collectors of WW2, Judaica and propaganda type material.

Glen

This German parody of the Great Britain 1935 ½d dark green Silver Jubilee stamp. Forgeries of the Silver Jubilee issue of 1935 were falsified at the Sachsenhausen concentration camp by order of Heinrich Himmler during the 2nd world war, has a bust of Stalin in place of King George VI, and misspelled English text "This war is a / Jewsh war" replacing "Silver Jubilee / Half Penny."

The dates have been altered to read 1939-1944 instead of 1910-1935. The Star of David and the hammer and sickle appear prominently in several places (3 times each). The parody is printed in sheets of 120 (10 x 12). There has always been a question about the misspelling of the word "Jewsh" and if this was an attempt by the Concentration Camp prisoners to embarrass their German masters.
drh

Post by drh »

I'm amazed that with their huge, highly educated population, the German government needed to get left-wing political prisoners in a camp to design this thing. Surely one of their devout nationalist artists would have jumped at the chance to design it.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

DRH - Perhaps send an email to the current head of the Third Reich - I am sure you have their direct contact details. I am sure they'll be interested in your personal views on what all others accept as ancient history.

CC Copy in your hero Valdimor Putin too .. he might award you a Bronze Star of the Motherland? :!:

Your pro Putin political leanings we have addressed before, and you know where that led. :roll:

Global Administrator wrote: 15 Mar 2022 01:29
stampboards, like near all of the civilised world, is condemning this unprovoked invasion of a sovereign country, and destroying large chunks of it, and bombing a hospital with pregnant women and new babies, and killing many totally innocent civilians etc.

drh can instead get his keyboard jollies back-slapping his Comrade Putin on Russian forums (until the internet gets closed there soon) but stampboards is not the place. There is no democracy whatever in Russia, so your comments are drivel, so go lecture your macho murdering hero instead about that, if you really have nothing else useful to do.

Meanwhile, my trusty can is at the ready. There is no 'democracy' here either, if I choose to use it. Go whine to Comrade Vladimir if I do. He is keenly interested in Human Rights and Democracy he says. :!:

Admin

norvic

Post by norvic »

FRV wrote: 04 Aug 2022 00:30
Global Administrator wrote: 03 Aug 2022 23:46 I've made a fortune selling fake stamps. Clearly described as fakes.

I guess counterfeits exist in a grey area: are they postage or non-postage?

I've seen stamps that weren't mimicking actual stamps, but were mimicking a certain country's issues. No one would know they weren't official without referring to a catalogue.
The term for these is bogus, rather than fake, or forged. You can't fake something which doesn't exist (he says, ducking!)
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock before Royal Mail burn them all, singles, booklets, booklet panes, regionals - lists here: or email/DM your general needs and I'll let you know whether it's worth sending a wants list.
capetriangle

Post by capetriangle »

Norvic
The term for these is bogus, rather than fake, or forged. You can't fake something which doesn't exist (he says, ducking!)
Surely the fakes that Glen was referring to were the Sperati Kangaroo £2 forgeries which are not in the least bogus.

Kindest regards

Richard
norvic

Post by norvic »

Richard, in my quote I bolded the para that I was answering.

Nothing to do with the Roos, but the stamps that aren’t mimicking actual stamps, ie bogus labels.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock before Royal Mail burn them all, singles, booklets, booklet panes, regionals - lists here: or email/DM your general needs and I'll let you know whether it's worth sending a wants list.
Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

drh wrote: 04 Aug 2022 02:53 Back on topic, I have an envelope with cinderellas, including some lovely ones featuring ships and boats from a mysterious place.
Time for show and tell.
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, lighthouses, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !
drh

Post by drh »

Ubobo.R.O. wrote: 04 Aug 2022 09:59
drh wrote: 04 Aug 2022 02:53 Back on topic, I have an envelope with cinderellas, including some lovely ones featuring ships and boats from a mysterious place.
Time for show and tell.
Will dig them out later today. 👍
drh

Post by drh »

Sheriff/Boss/Marshall/El President..... I'll put them on the original thread, yes?
Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

A good idea.

PS You forgot Our Glorious Leader. :lol: :lol:
FRV

Post by FRV »

norvic wrote: 04 Aug 2022 07:07 The term for these is bogus, rather than fake, or forged. You can't fake something which doesn't exist (he says, ducking!)
Aha, "bogus"! A whole lexicon to learn. Thanks for the clarification.
satsuma

Post by satsuma »

This must have been only for the well heeled!
A sub of 5/- per annum in 1902 must have excluded most.
capetriangle

Post by capetriangle »

norvic wrote: 04 Aug 2022 09:54 Richard, in my quote I bolded the para that I was answering.

Nothing to do with the Roos, but the stamps that aren’t mimicking actual stamps, ie bogus labels.
Ian, I missed that distinction, my apologies.

Kindest regards

Richard
norvic

Post by norvic »

No problem, bold doesn't show up that well. I should have used colour.
RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Origin of the term "Cinderella Stamp" — coined when and by whom?
capetriangle wrote: 04 Aug 2022 00:34 To give a possible answer to the question, I always thought that the term emanated from the Williams Brothers.

Kindest regards

Richard Debney
They would have been my starting point too!

1970: R.N & M. Williams
ISBN 0-434-86640-7
Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 10.14.59 pm.png
https://www.amazon.com.au/Cinderella-Stamps-Philatelic/dp/0434866407
So, that is a publication dated 1 Oct 1970 using the term "cinderella stamps".

1974: Bill Hornadge
Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 10.34.18 pm.png

1961: The Cinderella Philatelist
Crane, Ian D., Index to The Cinderella Philatelist, Volumes 1 to 25, 1961–1985, Issues 1 to 100,
and to The Private Post, the 8 issues, 1977–1985.
London: Published for The Cinderella Stamp Club
by L.N. Williams, 1987 128p.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinderella_stamp#
The Wikipedia article cited here does not explicitly discuss the philatelic origins of the use of the term "cinderella". There is no question that stamps which would eventually be described as "cinderella stamps" were being produced in the 19th Century. But when were they first called "cinderellas"?

1959: The Cinderella Stamp Club
The Cinderella Stamp Club was founded on 5 June 1959 in London, England, and is an association of philatelists, amateur and professional, whose interests lie in local stamps, telegraph stamps, railway stamps, revenue stamps, fiscals, forgeries, bogus and phantom issues, Christmas, Red Cross, TB and other charity seals, registration labels, advertisement and poster stamps and many other items - all of which are the
so-called "Cinderellas of Philately".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinderella_Stamp_Club
The Cinderella Stamp Club has published a series of numbered handbooks, currently up to Number 14.
Handbook Number 1 is
H.E. Tester, The Literature on Cinderella Philately, 1972.
Not every literature item listed in that book will have "cinderella" in its title, but it should be possible to find in that handbook the earliest known published reference which uses the term "cinderella stamp".

It would be excellent if a Stampboarder with access to Tester's book could find and share with us that "earliest known use" information! Thanks in anticipation :)

/RogerE :D
The Cinderella Stamp Club of Australasia (CSCA) was formed in 1984, and currently has about 110 members throughout Australia and New Zealand, and around the world.

Members' interests include Cinderellas of Australia, New Zealand and other countries.

The Club produces a journal, Cinderellas Australasia (*), and a number of monographs
— a list is available from the Secretary.
https://www.philas.net.au/cinderella-stamp-club
(*) The most recent journal is vol. 36, no. 1, April 2022 = Whole Number 104. It's an excellent publication, with much credit due to Editor Marilyn Gendek.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

RogerE wrote: 05 Aug 2022 01:20
1959: The Cinderella Stamp Club
The Cinderella Stamp Club was founded on 5 June 1959 in London, England, and is an association of philatelists, amateur and professional, whose interests lie in local stamps, telegraph stamps, railway stamps, revenue stamps, fiscals, forgeries, bogus and phantom issues, Christmas, Red Cross, TB and other charity seals, registration labels, advertisement and poster stamps and many other items - all of which are the
so-called "Cinderellas of Philately".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinderella_Stamp_Club

Well if this club in the UK was FOUNDED 63 years back, clearly the term 'Cinderella Stamps' was in wide and accepted use WELL before 63 years back. :lol:
capetriangle

Post by capetriangle »

Whilst my computer no longer receives Wikipedia, I believe the Cinderella Stamp Club was formed by the Williams Brothers with one of them being the editor of The Cinderella Philatelist.

Kindest regards

Richard
adam78

Post by adam78 »

capetriangle wrote: 05 Aug 2022 20:50 Whilst my computer no longer receives Wikipedia, I believe the Cinderella Stamp Club was formed by the Williams Brothers with one of them being the editor of The Cinderella Philatelist.

Kindest regards

Richard
According to the introduction to the Williams brothers' book Cinderella Stamps (1970)

"It was in 1959 that David W. Waters, a keen collectors of stamps excluded from the general catalogues, conceived the idea of forming a club for collectors with similar tastes. He wrote to about eighty philatelists whom he knew might be interested in the plan, and as a result the basis of The Cinderella Stamp Club was laid."

Sadly nowhere in their lengthy introduction do they date the term "Cinderella" or note who coined it. Perhaps it was Mr Waters.

Adam
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

capetriangle wrote: 05 Aug 2022 20:50
... my computer no longer receives Wikipedia

Post Of The Month Award. :)

Does your computer 'receive' stampboards by any chance Richard?

Or are you on the VIP paid subscription version? :mrgreen:
capetriangle

Post by capetriangle »

Global Administrator wrote: 06 Aug 2022 15:21
capetriangle wrote: 05 Aug 2022 20:50
... my computer no longer receives Wikipedia
Anytime I attempt to get into Wikipedia I get this:

en.wikipedia.org normally uses encryption to protect your information. When Chrome tried to connect to en.wikipedia.org this time, the website sent back unusual and incorrect credentials. This may happen when an attacker is trying to pretend to be en.wikipedia.org, or a Wi-Fi sign-in screen has interrupted the connection. Your information is still secure because Chrome stopped the connection before any data was exchanged.

You cannot visit en.wikipedia.org right now because the website uses HSTS. Network errors and attacks are usually temporary, so this page will probably work later.

Post Of The Month Award. :)

Does your computer 'receive' stampboards by any chance Richard?

Of course it does.

Or are you on the VIP paid subscription version? :mrgreen:

No, of course not.
My comments in red.

Kindest regards

Richard
capetriangle

Post by capetriangle »

Sadly nowhere in their lengthy introduction do they date the term "Cinderella" or note who coined it. Perhaps it was Mr Waters.
Perhaps the term was taken from the popular Walt Disney 1950 animated film.

Kindest regards

Richard Debney
adam78

Post by adam78 »

In his introduction to his 1997 publication A Bibliography of New Zealand Cinderellas, Dr Des Hurley notes "The team was coined by David W. Waters, an English philatelist, around the 1950s, to describe the scope of his colleciton of stamp-like but non-philatelic items."
CMJ
Rescued a MILLION Stampboard Images
Rescued a MILLION  Stampboard Images

Post by CMJ »

In the 21 November 1908 edition of Gibbons Stamp Weekly (as it was then) there is reference in a letter to a Telegraph stamp being a "Cinderella of Philately" so it would seem that the term was in colloquial usage even then.
Gibbons Stamp Weekly - 21 November 1908
Gibbons Stamp Weekly - 21 November 1908
The relevant paragraph is the first one on the right hand side.

RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Thanks CMJ for posting that Gibbons Stamp Weekly page containing this paragraph:

Excerpt from Letter to the editor, from Wilmot Corfield, Calcutta<br />Gibbons Stamp Weekly, 21 Nov 1908
Excerpt from Letter to the editor, from Wilmot Corfield, Calcutta
Gibbons Stamp Weekly, 21 Nov 1908
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?p=8964566&hilit=cinderella#p8964566
It's good to have a documented, dated source like that. Generalised assertions of opinion are no match for dated evidence. That said, evidence still has to be interpreted.

Currently, I am not quite confident that the paragraph in Wilmot Corfield's 1908 Letter to the Editor shows that the term "cinderella" was already in use as a philatelic category. The use of quotation marks around the phrase "Cinderella of Philately" could possibly mean either of the following:

(a) Others have been calling the telegraph stamp a "Cinderella of Philately", so I repeat that apt term.
or
(b) I would like to call the telegraph stamp a "Cinderella of Philately", as a metaphor referring to that overlooked beauty Cinderella in the familiar fairytale.

In other words:

Possibility (a) would imply current philatelic usage, in 1908, of the term "Cinderella" in reference to telegraph stamps (or more classes of stamps that were not postal). In that case, one would expect to find sporadic prior, contemporary, and subsequent published uses of the term.

Possibility (b) would imply that Corfield coined the phrase, in his Letter to the Editor, as a neat cultural reference in support of telegraph stamp collecting. In that case, one would not expect to see the term in prior publications, and would expect it to be used rarely by others in subsequent publications, since they would have to have seen Corfield's Letter to the Editor, appreciated the phrase, and presumably chose to use it in support of telegraph stamp collecting, or generalised its use to support collecting of other non-postal stamps.

Summary: I would like to see other contemporary published uses of "Cinderella", with philatelic reference, before concluding that it was in common or familiar use in 1908. One swallow does not a summer make.

/RogerE :D
FRV

Post by FRV »

CMJ wrote: 07 Aug 2022 19:47
Hats off for this post, and well spotted. While, as RogerE says, this is not unequivocal proof of wider usage and acceptance, it certainly dates a specific application of the term 'Cinderella' back to 1908, at least.

Return to “Cinderellas etc - all the stamps that are NOT regular postage stamp related”