WANTED - reference literature on Australian Postal Stationery

Others might have what you need -- be specific .. you never know what is out there! But be CERTAIN you have turned "ON" your email access in your account settings, or no-one will be able to contact you. You NEVER know what members of this board have for sale. Do ASK for what you are looking for!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

stampmad
Founder Member Joined April 2007

WANTED - reference literature on Australian Postal Stationery

Post by stampmad »

Wanted ... Any literature pertaining to Australian Pre-Decimal postal stationery particularly registration envelopes.

I am looking for philatelic bulletin articles or magazine articles that would explain things that the standard catalogue may not.

Also if you have some pre-decimal registration envelopes for sale, I will be happy to have a look at them.

Thank you...Marius
Last edited by Global Administrator on 08 Jun 2022 19:40, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Expanded totally vague and lazy 3 word heading, to make some sense to members
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Australian Postal Stationery

Post by Global Administrator »

Marius -- you cannot go further than this - the 'Bible'' - 484 massive full colour pages - :lol:

I sell 30 or 40 a year.

Glen

ACSC "Postal Stationery" Catalogue - 484 pages, all in colour: Including Australian Territories, Latest Edition which updates the first edition of nine years back, incorporating a number of corrections and new discoveries. In particular, the Postal Cards up to 1936 have been extensively revised, and there are many additions to the listing of Lettercards. The decimal Stationery produced by the Note Printing Branch is included for the first time. All prices have been fully updated. In full colour, 484 x large A4 heavily illustrated pages, perfect bound. If you only buy one catalogue each decade, whether you are a dealer or a collector, or Auction, you MUST have this. Detailed review here - www.tinyurl.com/GlenAP2018 - The most common innocuous looking thing on your desk might be valued at ten times the purchase price of this catalogue! I kid you not. Maybe 25 times.

There are HUNDREDS of items in here listed at between $5,000 and $15,000 EACH. EVERY item is illustrated in colour (reduced in size of course) - a GODSEND for many of the earlier Registration envelopes etc. (Only about 4 pieces in the entire book, they were unable to get copies of to scan!) Very coolly, all down the outer spine is colour coded to go to Wrappers - go right to the BLUE tagged edges. For postcards go to PURPLE tags etc. A breeze to use quickly, as I need to do each day.

I HATED using the initial huge ring binder edition as time went on, as the printer punched the holes way too small in my view. Making finding any given section an annoying juggling act, risking damaging and tearing all earlier pages each time. This one is a BREEZE to use. For instance ALL the “View” Lettercards are now all illustrated and priced SEPARATELY - some 170 different! Some of these are worth a fortune, and dealers and collectors without this book have not got a CLUE as to what is scarce, and what is not. You will easily pay for this book with the first vaguely scarce view you pick up on ebay etc.

There are all the Aerograms illustrated - many quite valuable, all the wide range of Military material, WW2 Food Parcel labels (one is cat $10,000, and another $7,500!), and even all the myriad of different views on the initial 1911 “Coronation" set. All priced separately. The highest price in here I saw was $15,000 for a KGV low face value reply card, that I bet a lot of overseas (even local!) sellers would price at $20 retail and cross their fingers! It is huge - near 500 large A4 pages, on quality grade paper, in full colour - all proudly printed and produced here in Sydney Australia.

Edited by Dr. Geoff Kellow, the usual super high standard of original research work and fine attention to detail has taken place here. Geoff told me much of his original research on numbers printed of the early issues has never been published before the ACSC did these. Not only Australia is covered, but the “Territories” and that includes all the “Formular” Aerograms and airletters etc for the Territories. And all the Papua early issues, and GRI material, and PNG and Cocos and Christmas Islands etc. This is all listed and priced. www.tinyurl.com/ACSC-PSTAT - Heaps more pix are here of contents etc are on that link - $A240 (Stock 782DV)
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
stampmad

Re: WANTED - reference literature on Australian Postal Stationery

Post by stampmad »

Thank you Glen but I already have a well used copy of that....I am after some of the journal articles which may go into more depth..I am hoping to get an exhibit together over the next 12 months or so...Marius
prtnz17
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by prtnz17 »

Marius

Two other sources are the Postal Stationery Collector, the Journal of the Postal Stationery Society of Australia, and the Posthorn that was published up until sometime in the 1980s. This was a publication from one of the philatelic organisations in South Australia I think, maybe someone else can help with the publisher. The problem with the Posthorn is that it hasn't been digitised and you would need to find a library, i.e. RPSV or Philas, where they may have a copy. The Posthorn was the predecessor the the PSC.

But as Glen says the ACSC is the best source to start with, and the new version is brilliant. I have been collecting and exhibiting Australian embossed postal stationery for a couple of years now and that is still the best source, except for research that I have done myself.

Hope this helps

Peter
stampmad

Post by stampmad »

Thank you Peter
jeneralist

Post by jeneralist »

I have found a couple of older magazine articles:

"Early Australian Postal Stationery" by David Plummer
The Australian Stamp Monthly May 1985
Includes discussion on design, engraver Reading, manufacture and embossing of envelopes.

"Australian Registered Letter Envelopes (Based on a Society display 17 July 2008)" by Mark Diserio
Includes production figures, some further references, illustrations

They may be too general in nature, but if you do not already have them, let me know if you are interested in either or both articles.
Jeneralist
stampmad

Post by stampmad »

Thank you...I am interested in those...Please text me on 0410366685 to arrange collection or postage.....Regards, Marius
jeneralist

Post by jeneralist »

I have sent a text
Jeneralist

Return to “WANTED by members - Stamps or FDC or Accessories or images etc.”