Is eBay a great and safe place to buy and sell stamps?

A venue to discuss unusual and interesting items being offered. Report and discuss fakes, forgeries, scammers and con-men. Also fee discussion, and low listing fee promos etc. Discuss feedback. Great items for sale. New policies ..... whatever YOU want!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Rigs
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Re: Is eBay a great and safe place to buy and sell stamps?

Post by Rigs »

steevh wrote: 15 Aug 2022 21:15
Rigs wrote: 15 Aug 2022 20:24
steevh wrote: 15 Aug 2022 17:47
Are you suggesting that this album is 'manufactured' in some way? To me it just looks like an ordinary old Lincoln album, with a decent collection in it.
Yes I am certainly suspicious that it is.

Mostly because I have followed the sales of this seller for several months, and week in week out he/she has two or three albums of this vintage full to the brim with old stamps.

That’s all the seller offers.

I mean, how many unfettered albums of this vintage are there in Melbourne, or Australia, for that matter?

I would suggest there is a busy production line utilising empty, or near empty, albums at play here.

Much more effective way to shift spacefillers.

Because the end result is well worth the effort for a retiree looking for extra cash.

And, at the end of the day, they aren’t committing a crime, nowhere does it say ‘sold as found’ or some such.
Filling an entire album with stamps is a very time-consuming process -- just the lick and stick part, even without all the necessary sorting involved.

I think a more probable method would be to buy genuine old albums, strip out the small percentage of valuable stamps (for sale elsewhere), and then replenish it with spacefillers. Starting from scratch would be just too much bother.
Yep.

Either way, certainly not the ‘aura’ implied by the pics.

I.e. ‘Grandpa’s old album which we found in an old chest sitting in the attic untouched for 70 years’ :lol:
Rockyman44
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by Rockyman44 »

If you ever were to buy such an album, could you not tell which was the case from the hinges used?

Brand new hinges on most or all of the stamps would indicate the album had been recently filled from scratch, mostly old hinges suggests most of the contents have been mounted there for a long time....
Last edited by Rockyman44 on 15 Aug 2022 21:51, edited 1 time in total.
Collecting worldwide used stamps 1918 - 2000, geology & fossils on stamps
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

Rockyman44 wrote: 15 Aug 2022 21:49 If you ever were to buy such an album, could you not tell which was the case from the hinges used?

Brand new hinges on most or all of the stamps would indicate the album had been filled from scratch, mostly old hinges suggests most of the contents have been mounted there for a long time....
Totally agree, and something I conjectured several posts above.
Rockyman44

Post by Rockyman44 »

Still not tempted by any of these eBay album offerings illustrated here, the quality looks pretty poor!
ViccyVFU
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by ViccyVFU »

steevh wrote: 15 Aug 2022 21:15 I think a more probable method would be to buy genuine old albums, strip out the small percentage of valuable stamps (for sale elsewhere), and then replenish it with spacefillers. Starting from scratch would be just too much bother.

Yes, this person is a "select pick, and infiller".

Look at a recent purchase of theirs, from Jerwood Philatelics ....

vic.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Worldwide-Mainly-used-collection- ... 3983742612

That's just one of the "several similar purchases" in the last six months.

This could either be a "zero cost" collector, or the more sinister "grandads treasures" kind of trader.

Either way, the resale items are "stuffed to the gunnels" with low value and damaged stamps.

Hinges are not a great indicator of age.

First up, the 60% starting position "will all have the right hinges".

hinges.jpg

... being a mix of old selvedge, cut down hinges, and proper old ones.

The rest would either be new old stock, cut down modern, or re-glued originals (seriously!!)
(Very hard to distinguish, and remember, you have the album in your hand, and any damage means its not returnable).

It is, labour wise, expensive to stick stamps in albums, which is presumably why they have "tarted it, to such completeness", so that it will also appeal "outside the traditional collector market".

norvic

Post by norvic »

I’ve still got a tin of 60/70 year old hinges of the large type. They would be very useful to this seller!
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock before Royal Mail burn them all, singles, booklets, booklet panes, regionals - lists here: or email/DM your general needs and I'll let you know whether it's worth sending a wants list.
ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

norvic wrote: 15 Aug 2022 22:33 I’ve still got a tin of 60/70 year old hinges of the large type. They would be very useful to this seller!
Yes, and no.

If the purchasers have not noticed the "enormous divots" and "stains",
I'm fairly sure they won't be "flipping each one over, to check the hinges"!! :mrgreen:

Rigs

Post by Rigs »

Just one more example listing from this seller (4759sonia), if I may.

Noting two prominent roos that look as bright and fresh as the day they were printed?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/175382796789
2022-08-16 13_05_14-OLD STRAND STAMP ALBUM_ BIG WORLD COLLECTION -1540 USED STAMPS..jpg
2022-08-16 12_58_33-OLD STRAND STAMP ALBUM_ BIG WORLD COLLECTION -1540 USED STAMPS.jpg
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Rigs wrote: 16 Aug 2022 14:08 .

Noting two prominent roos that look as bright and fresh as the day they were printed?

Sigh. :roll:

Well sorry to deflate the usual Bunny Mania for obsessively seeking ''Treasure where there is only trash'', this clearly remade up old album with ring-ins deliberately added, like the defective 5d Brown roo and the 2 fake high values, are all just that - BUNNY MAGNETS.

Anyone with a grain of philatelic knowledge (that means millions of ebay Bunnies do not qualify) realise immediately that these are from the 1972 ANPEX sheet below.

Send me a few bucks Rigs, and you can have them AND a 5/- Bridge. :!: :!: All are 'superb CTO' as you can see. I'll hinge them all to an old album page if you prefer - no extra cost.

Capture.JPG

Which brings us conveniently once again to this thread heading -

''Is eBay a great and safe place to buy and sell stamps?''

Report this spiv please, to protect the Army of clueless ebay Bunnies from themselves. :!:

It is a never ending and thankless task sadly. :evil: :evil: :roll:
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
fletches1
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by fletches1 »

This is where the 2 roos come from
1972 ANPEX sheet
1972 ANPEX sheet

(Glen beat me by a minute!!) :lol:
Stamp Collecting does not have to be Expensive to be Fun ! - .
Stamp Mall over 80,000 items in my Online Store !! on 128 bit encrypted SSL Secure Server.
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Yes Moron City in there for sure Steve.

Norm reported on these being honestly described and ID'd as replicas and the brain dead ebay cretins STILL bid them up over $US100 the pair = $A140 - plus shipping. :evil:

fromdownunder wrote: 25 Jul 2007 10:58
I am happy that this thread was started, as it gives me a chance to post this:

Described in both the header, and the detailed description as a facsimile, this 2 Pound Roo from the ANPEX Miniature sheet has 10 bidders, and is currently $US51.00 plus postage with 8 hours to go!

Norm
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

Global Administrator wrote: 16 Aug 2022 14:19
Report this spiv please, to protect the Army of clueless ebay Bunnies from themselves. :!:

Yes, all cunningly presented to create the illusion of untouched, or 'sold as found'.

But there is no claim made in the listing that is reportable?

(As if eBay would care anyway, giving the 'production line' of profitable sales over the last few months that I have observed - why would they? :lol:)
ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

Seems like a fairly reasonable buy at AU$50, its a lot of stamps .....

1540_stamps.jpg

Not all brilliant, for sure, but a varied selection, with some interesting postmarks.
Ideal for a modeller / crafter, or someone who "just wants a book full, as an xmas present".

If you were reporting all album listings ... where would you stop?....

jerwood.jpg

Fifty bucks for half as many stamps, and a lot more modern ... (but hey, PTS !!)

What needs to be discouraged is "dumb buyers"....
but that like trying to ban the ice cream salesman on a hot day "because a pack of 4 ice creams are cheaper at the supermarket".

I don't see any deception in 4759sonia's listings.
Sure, I'd like sharper pictures, but I think it's only pandering to a need in the market, like so many others (and, maybe creating an excellent collection along the way).

Perhaps ban dumb bidders? That's not my call, its their brass, and I'm hoping "post purchase regret" will modify their "stupidity" (but somehow, I doubt it :D ).

If you can't beat them, join them ..... AU$50 for 1500 old world stamps "is a lot cheaper than Etsy".

Rigs

Post by Rigs »

ViccyVFU wrote: 16 Aug 2022 19:36
Seems like a fairly reasonable buy at AU$50, its a lot of stamps .....

I don't see any deception in 4759sonia's listings.

Yes, fair enough, but it will fetch a lot more than $50, mostly because of those two ‘high value’ roos discreetly placed on the first page to rope in the bunnies.
In that regard it is a little deceptive I feel, however I agree with you, as I posted earlier, that the seller has committed no crime.

Just set a trap for dumb bidders …

And in terms of value, the examples you show are set prices, not auctions.
steevh

Post by steevh »

Also, whatever you might suspect about someone peddling 'spiced up' albums, suggesting they are deliberately defrauding people is libelous.

Although I have seen enough not to bid on these items myself, I certainly haven't seen enough that would justify a court case, or even reporting the seller to eBay.

Even those £1 and £2 Roos -- they're not fakes, just facsimiles produced by a stamp exhibition committee, rather artfully placed.

Hopefully some of the bunnies will join Stampboards and become enlightened.
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

steevh wrote: 16 Aug 2022 19:56 , or even reporting the seller to eBay.
If you wish to dispute the Sherriff in this regard, who advocated such an action earlier, go for it.

:lol:
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

steevh wrote: 16 Aug 2022 19:56
Also, whatever you might suspect about someone peddling 'spiced up' albums, suggesting they are deliberately defrauding people is libelous.

Only if untrue.

Clearly here it is DELIBERATE TEXTBOOK FRAUD by ebay shonk seller 4759sonia. Planted solely to sucker in drooling at the mouth clueless brainless ebay Bunnies. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I'll let you know when the Supreme Court Defamation Summons hits my desk. Don't hold your breath, as it is TRUE. :!:

Indeed, I'll give you 1000 to 1 odds, that will NOT occur - how much are you betting? Easy money it looks like to me.

My record of beating Bookies in the past few years has been stellar, even if I say so myself. Made many $1000s on Biden, and on our recent Federal rout here - neither of them pollster favourites. :)

As outlined elsewhere here, even your hopeless rabble of future non-leaders will make me certain beer money. Liz Truss is right now a 1.06 near unbackable favourite, not the 1.72 when I first saw the certainty, that unless she is hit by a meteor, she must win. I added several others bets in the 1.4 and 1.5 regions as she firmed up. 'Money For Nothing' as Dire Straits once sang. :lol:

Capture.JPG
blue-within-blue
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by blue-within-blue »

Should we give Sonia the benefit of the doubt for this blatant "salting" of the old album? Hmm....

Let's see how/whether she responds to my not very subtle message :

"Your listing is misleading by omission, and violates Ebay selling rules. The £1 and £2 "roos" shown in your 2nd photo are replicas, taken from the 1972 ANPEX exhibition sheet. The postmarks are unmistakeable (photo).

The Ebay rules for selling stamps are clear ; all replicas/forgeries MUST be clearly identified in your description.

"Whoever" added these replicas to the album, in order to make the buyer think it is more valuable than it really is, has committed a serious criminal offence - it is fraud, and the buyer would be entitled to notify the Police. If this is how you bought it, you were conned and I recommend asking for your money back.
"

ROB
The Pom
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by The Pom »

"Whoever" added these replicas to the album, in order to make the buyer think it is more valuable than it really is, has committed a serious criminal offence
And therein lies the problem - proving knowledge/intent/who actually added the stamps. Someone has done a naughty, but try proving who it was.

To gain a conviction for the offence of fraud by false representation, the prosecution must prove the defendant made a false representation, dishonestly, knowing the representation was or might be untrue or misleading with an intent to make a gain for themselves or cause loss to another or expose another to a risk of loss.
If the seller bought the collection with the ANPEX Roos in situ, and genuinely has no clue they're not the real thing, then..........

Glen said:
Clearly here it is DELIBERATE TEXTBOOK FRAUD by ebay shonk seller 4759sonia. Planted solely to sucker in drooling at the mouth clueless brainless ebay Bunnies.
I would be inclined to suggest that until someone can provide pictures of the page as purchased by the seller, with different stamps in place, the phrase "DELIBERATE TEXTBOOK FRAUD by someone" might be more accurate.
Always on the lookout for Australian pre decimal First Day Covers.
steevh

Post by steevh »

I'm curious to see what happens when someone tries complaining to eBay about the listing -- specifically the presence of the two dodgy Roos.
blue-within-blue

" And therein lies the problem - proving knowledge/intent/who actually added the stamps. Someone has done a naughty, but try proving who it was. "

Agreed - but I'm counting on her not realising that. My wording was deliberately intended to worry her ; I wasn't particularly bothered about strict legal precision.

ROB
rehautala

Post by rehautala »

But now that you have informed the seller, if the sale continues without her updating the listing with the "replica" information would make her complicit in any case.

Of course, the seller could claim they never got your message.
blue-within-blue

Another blatant forgery on sale, allegedly part of the "Lionel A Faulconberg" collection. Anyone heard of him? If he existed, he couldn't tell a Spiro Post Paid forgery from the real thing :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204067079973
Ebay Mauritius forgery.jpg
ROB
Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

steevh wrote: 17 Aug 2022 06:31 I'm curious to see what happens when someone tries complaining to eBay about the listing -- specifically the presence of the two dodgy Roos.

Well have YOU reported it? Why in this word is there this assumption 'others' need to do all the leg work on all issues? :evil: :evil: :roll:

Small Picture Thinking collectors of course are too thick to realise that EVERY fake like these passed off to Bunnies, diminishes the value of THEIR stamps, going forward. If FakeBay is forced to take action (they clearly have no financial interest to do so) it helps keep the hobby more stable.

Rob just had THREE FakeBay accounts wiped this week in the UK, for also selling fake £2 roos printed on copy paper it looks like, and 'salted' into collection lots. :roll:

PEOPLE POWER - reporting these scum takes only a minute to do - and it DOES work at ridding these ScamBay sharks - AND keep trust in the hobby far higher.

blue-within-blue wrote: 09 Aug 2022 23:37

Looks like new seller ID jaer-313 could be another incarnation of this Aberdeen-based scammer. His items on sale show exactly the same pattern of high-priced computer-printed counterfeits plus a few worthless genuine stamps to make him look like a legitimate seller and rack up bogus feedbacks via shill sales. He already has feedback from ID per_4955 for selling a worthless common stamp for several pounds.

What do the Aussie experts think of this one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195275678106

ROB
blue-within-blue wrote: 11 Aug 2022 05:38
Swift action for once by Ebay after I reported his threat. Two accounts just NARU'd :

As for how much these scammers make, flipping burgers wouldn't come close. I just added up the sold items on the 4 accounts which appear to be linked. From mid-May to early August, it totals over £8000 of sales. And there are probably more IDs we haven't yet spotted. Certainly worth the minor threat of prosecution, and the inconvenience of occasionally having to set up a new Ebay account.

I have alerted the local police, but not sure if there is a clear enough threat for them to do anything? Best hope is probably a visit from the Trading Standards team.

ROB
steevh

Post by steevh »

The seller has now updated the item description to add the information that the Roos are replicas.
blue-within-blue

Yes, she added a big red message at the end of her text ; although it would have been better to cancel and re-list, because the person who already bid, did so based on the previous incomplete description.

This is what Sonia sent in reply to me;
"Hi, I did not make a statement that there were a one & two pound stamps in the collection so it would sell at a higher price. I wasn’t aware that you had to declare all the replicas and fake stamps in an album!
I’ll add in the description that those two stamps are replicas.
Thank you. Regards
"

That, of course, is the difference between actively misleading, and misleading by omission - which is what the scammers are relying on to save them from a negative feedback or Ebay return when selling "salted" joblots like this. Perhaps it will make her think twice next time.

ROB
steevh

Post by steevh »

Maybe Sonia could just copy Sothebys and offer all such lots 'as is'.

As Is
Almost all property for sale at auction is offered “as is,” meaning that the property is sold with all existing faults and imperfections.

https://www.sothebysinstitute.com/news-and-events/news/aucti ... erfections.
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

4759s0nia wrote:
I wasn’t aware that you had to declare all the replicas and fake stamps in an album!
:lol:
andy66
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by andy66 »

The Pom wrote: 17 Aug 2022 06:24

And therein lies the problem - proving knowledge/intent/who actually added the stamps. Someone has done a naughty, but try proving who it was.

To gain a conviction for the offence of fraud by false representation, the prosecution must prove the defendant made a false representation, dishonestly, knowing the representation was or might be untrue or misleading with an intent to make a gain for themselves or cause loss to another or expose another to a risk of loss.
If the seller bought the collection with the ANPEX Roos in situ, and genuinely has no clue they're not the real thing, then..........

I don't know in your country, but in my country a seller is always responsible for what he sells. If you keep the 'I didn't know' excuse for real, then anyone can sell anything to everyone else .... just in case a problem arises you come out aloud with 'I didn't know' :D

There is a way to avoid problems for those who 'do not know how to buy' but know how to sell: simply put in the headline of the listing 'NOT GUARANTEED AS GENUINE' in capital letters. Nothing more and nothing less...

Andrea
Andy66
Friuli - Italy
blue-within-blue

The selling rules on Ebay are not the same as a normal auction-house. Auctioneers are able to disclaim almost all responsibility for their lots, although they usually offer a refund for anything which they catalogue as genuine but is later expertised as a deliberate forgery. Otherwise, they disclaim all of the usual consumer protection laws, because they are not the seller ; merely the agent of the seller.

On Ebay, things are rather different ; they put the onus firmly on the seller. The selling rules are reasonably clear, with minor variations between countries. The seller must provide complete and accurate details (selling practices policy). and must be sure their items are genuine before listing them. If the seller cannot verify that an item is authentic, it can't be listed (counterfeit item policy). Separately in the Stamps policy, counterfeits are forbidden (this seems to mean current stamps usable as postage) and for older replicas/forgeries the seller must state clearly that the item is a replica/forgery in their title and description. In Germany, they kept the requirement to indelibly MARK the item as a replica, which Ebay US and UK dropped a few years ago.

Clearly, there has to be a little leeway when dealing with a job-lot or album stuffed with hundreds of stamps. Many sellers disclaim authenticity on such sales, which strictly is bending the rules ; but I'm sure both Ebay and buyers give a little leeway here - if the lot doesn't seem to be mis-sold. We accept that it's unreasonable to expect sellers to authenticate every single item as genuine.

That leeway is what the scammers are exploiting with their "salted" albums. Deliberately inserting replica or forgery high-value items to make the album seem more valuable is certainly stepping beyond what Ebay and buyers would accept as reasonable leeway. But i agree that it would be a hard case to prove. Fortunately, these days Ebay does seem to favour buyers, if they make a "not as described" claim.

ROB
steevh

Post by steevh »

Just hypothetically, as the listing has now been amended:

A buyer (eg. Rigs) could have bought this album from Sonia and then filed a claim later citing the two Roos as faked, and as the main reason for purchase.

I'm sure eBay would rule in the buyer's favour, in which case he would get a full refund, and also with a good chance of being able to keep the stamps -- depending on how much trouble Sonia would be prepared to go to to get the album back.
blue-within-blue

From my experience of several test purchases over the past few months, the Ebay returns system now seems mostly automated. On my recent purchase from the Aberdeen scammer, as soon as I pushed the "Return this item" button I got a link to print a free return postage label. In past years you had to wait for the seller to accept the return, or wait several days for Ebay to step in if the seller didn't co-operate. The Ebay system also has automatic tracking checks - as soon as the Post Office scanned it, it was shown as sent on My Ebay, without me needing to log the tracking number.

In view of this ease of return/refund, I would like to take this opportunity to encourage any volunteers to make a few cheap test purchases of forged items from George Nassar's current selling IDs - oceanbluestamps , globbaladmin , and g-stephensstamps (!) . It's long overdue that we shut him down, and now that Ebay requires him to use an actual bank account instead of PayPal, it will be MUCH harder for him to replace those IDs.

ROB
The Pom

Post by The Pom »

andy66 wrote: 17 Aug 2022 22:58
The Pom wrote: 17 Aug 2022 06:24

I don't know in your country, but in my country a seller is always responsible for what he sells. If you keep the 'I didn't know' excuse for real, then anyone can sell anything to everyone else .... just in case a problem arises you come out aloud with 'I didn't know' :D

There is a way to avoid problems for those who 'do not know how to buy' but know how to sell: simply put in the headline of the listing 'NOT GUARANTEED AS GENUINE' in capital letters. Nothing more and nothing less...

Andrea
Being responsible for what you sell, and fraud, are two different things.

For it to be fraud, you have to prove knowledge/intent.

Similarly, many of us in the UK will have unknowingly made purchases using fake £1 coins. Does that mean we should be obliged to have every £1 coin that passes through our hands authenticated?

And no, I don't mean that it excuses salting collections, but no honest seller of old albums should be expected to be able to spot every fake ever produced for every country.
andy66

Post by andy66 »

The Pom wrote: 19 Aug 2022 07:26

Being responsible for what you sell, and fraud, are two different things.

For it to be fraud, you have to prove knowledge/intent.

Similarly, many of us in the UK will have unknowingly made purchases using fake £1 coins. Does that mean we should be obliged to have every £1 coin that passes through our hands authenticated?

And no, I don't mean that it excuses salting collections, but no honest seller of old albums should be expected to be able to spot every fake ever produced for every country.
Of course we don't need a fraud indictment to close a listing or an account. Do you think in this case the seller is honest? And you don't need to check every single stamp in an album, but just those 5 or 10 'high value' stamps if present. You can't or don't want to do that? It's ok, but, as I wrote, you must write capital letters 'NOT GUARANTEED AS GENUINE'. That's more than enough to rise the antennae of prospective buyers...

Andrea
Andy66
Friuli - Italy
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

As a follow up to the discussion of this listing, the album just fetched $345.
Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

Those 2 Roos are "weeds" from the Adelaide souvenir sheet some years ago. They can be picked up for about a fiver.
Edit, sorry, didn't read back far enough already noted!

Roo weeds.JPG

Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"
steevh

Post by steevh »

So the album made A$345.

Maybe the buyer was impressed with Sonia's honesty, going the extra mile to point out that the Roos were fake.
steevh

Post by steevh »

Sonia has now re-listed the item, but the £1&£2 Roos have gone, replaced with other stamps.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185545050651
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

steevh wrote: 20 Aug 2022 17:36 Sonia has now re-listed the item, but the £1&£2 Roos have gone, replaced with other stamps.

Well, you would have to relist surely if your own shill bid won it?

$345 not enough after the roo replicas exposed and ruined the original listing :lol:
blue-within-blue

Probably not a shill winning bid ; the bidder list shows that the winner had made the top TWO bids, which a shiller would not do, as it would increase the chances of winning your own item.

In a follow-up message to me, Sonia said :
"As soon as you advised me I did write in big capital letters that they were replicas. At the end of the auction I’ll inform the buyer again and if they want I’ll cancel the order and relist it without those 2 stamps.
Thanks for the advice!
"

I suspect probably that happened and the winner chose not to proceed.

ROB
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

blue-within-blue wrote: 20 Aug 2022 20:36
Probably not a shill winning bid ; the bidder list shows that the winner had made the top TWO bids, which a shiller would not do, as it would increase the chances of winning your own item.

In a follow-up message to me, Sonia said :
"As soon as you advised me I did write in big capital letters that they were replicas. At the end of the auction I’ll inform the buyer again and if they want I’ll cancel the order and relist it without those 2 stamps.
Thanks for the advice!
"

I suspect probably that happened and the winner chose not to proceed.

ROB
Fair enough.

What is troubling for me is that ok, the stamps were removed, but then replaced.

How many other empty spaces were filled in the original listing?

In this regard, in principle, It is deceptive.

The omission of ‘I have this old album for sale, for which I have refilled to an extent, to make it look full to the brim’.

The omission of such information only serves to amplify the perception that it is an unfettered piece.

Which is shonky.
steevh

Post by steevh »

steevh wrote: 20 Aug 2022 17:36 Sonia has now re-listed the item, but the £1&£2 Roos have gone, replaced with other stamps.

The 'new and improved' album sold for A$124.
Rockyman44

Post by Rockyman44 »

steevh wrote: 25 Aug 2022 18:50

The 'new and improved' album sold for A$124.
Seems like a pretty high price at over £72 + postage, for a fairly average album of mostly common stamps. The only items of interest for me were some of the Japan, where I spotted a few better items. I’ve highlighted them here, the 1894 5s blue Silver Wedding & the 1900 3s red Prince’s wedding look suspicious to me.
Japan stamp album page
Japan stamp album page
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

Rockyman44 wrote: 25 Aug 2022 20:07
the 1894 5s blue Silver Wedding & the 1900 3s red Prince’s wedding look suspicious to me.
Very bright and ‘facsimile’ fresh, like much of this seller’s stock.

:roll:
Rockyman44

Post by Rockyman44 »

That’s what I thought too! :D
The Pom

Post by The Pom »

A few rather fresh looking examples on this China page too. I have no idea if they have any value if genuine, but they stick out like a sore thumb...
china.jpg
Rockyman44

Post by Rockyman44 »

Are you referring to these 3 stamps which have quite a fresh white paper appearance?
China stamps album page
China stamps album page
I think they’re OK, they were issued on paper like that, whiter than that used for the older Junk and Dragon issues etc.

I can’t see anything of particular value on the page, but even this could fetch a few quid on eBay if sold separately....
The Pom

Post by The Pom »

Yes, those 3, plus the orange soldiers & flags to the left of the red stamp you've circled.

Stamps overlapping (on top) the stamps on both sides of them also smack of later additions...

Return to “All Online Stamp Auction related discussion and overview”