Will Royal Mail issue any Ashes commemorative stamps for 2023?

Stampboards has 1000s of regular readers who WILL take the time to help out even with the most basic question. If you are new to stamps - or taking up the hobby after a long break, there is a lot to learn. PLEASE do not be shy in asking the simplest of questions .. members here will be delighted to help you with the answers!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Rigs
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Re: Will Royal Mail issue any Ashes commemorative stamps for 2023?

Post by Rigs »

Rigs wrote: 29 Jul 2023 18:51
(Should Australia win the Ashes I have an overprint ready :lol: )
Australia should win this match comfortably requiring only 70 runs per remaining session.

Looks like an overprint needed after all.

Rigs

Post by Rigs »

Rigs wrote: 30 Jul 2023 04:36
Rigs wrote: 29 Jul 2023 18:51
(Should Australia win the Ashes I have an overprint ready :lol: )
Australia should win this match comfortably requiring only 70 runs per remaining session.

Looks like an overprint needed after all.

So far the Ozball approach has been as predicted = perfect by Warner and Khawaja.

No whingeing about the weather from the Clowns of Cricket for this test though :lol:

They will be praying for it later (let's see if ROOTed still wants to play til 10pm)!

Australia to resume the chase requiring 249 to WIN the Ashes outright, a comfortable 83 runs a session, with 10 wickets remaining ...

(And don't forget, there are six hand-crafted covers left (with 'Win' overprint in red :D ) if any would like one - see above posts.)
The Ashes 2023: Hand-crafted FDC
The Ashes 2023: Hand-crafted FDC
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

Sad Stokes and the Clowns of Cricket.

Dropping catches again.

You just can’t make this stuff up.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

This gung ho Stokes was all about celebrating the Steve Smith catch BEFORE he controlled it!

The Umpires took it away from him. He reveiwed and they took it away again. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Unless weather prevails, that dropped catch lost the test.

20 runs per wicket and we win. :idea:

Capture.JPG
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
fchd
I was online for post number TEN MILLION!

Post by fchd »

Maybe not, sherriff.

Four quick wickets, and now 282-7, Australia still need just over 100, England 3 wickets.

Going down to the wire again.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Oh well, the Ashes Urn will be sitting in its Qantas Business Class seat back here ... AGAIN!

Wow ..... seemed a lot closer than the scoreboard showed.

Well done England, and great to see Broad take the very last wicket on the last day of his career!

Worth sitting up to 4am to see it played out. :mrgreen:
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

Global Admin wrote: 01 Aug 2023 04:47 Oh well, the Ashes Urn will be sitting in its Qantas Business Class seat back here ... AGAIN!
Yes Ashes safely retained.

A shame the result skewed by rain delays and poor umpiring.

England effectively receiving a farcical three new balls and Australia being told 52 overs remaining when in fact only 47.

Really the result of the series would have been 3-2 to Australia, but that is cricket …

fchd

Post by fchd »

When did England get three new balls?

If you're talking about the final innings, there was a second, used, ball to replace a damaged ball, and they were entitled to take a further new ball but didn't do so. So just the one new ball.
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

fchd wrote: 01 Aug 2023 06:32 When did England get three new balls?

If you're talking about the final innings, there was a second, used, ball to replace a damaged ball, and they were entitled to take a further new ball but didn't do so. So just the one new ball.

Well, the second effectively a ‘new ball’ England were gifted late on day four by incompetent umpires ensured they didn’t require the third, did they?

Batting tactics are formed around the introduction of a new ball, especially in the overs leading up to it.

And suddenly Warner and Khawaja were left at the mercy of this ‘new ball’ first thing day five after their superb efforts the day before.

The clowns knew this, which is why Woakes was given it.

Woakes himself admitted as much in the speeches after.

A great shame, ballgate, giving the clowns an unfair advantage that spoiled the game.

lesbootman
I was *ALMOST* online for post number TEN MILLION!

Post by lesbootman »

Rigs wrote: 01 Aug 2023 08:11
fchd wrote: 01 Aug 2023 06:32 When did England get three new balls?

Well, the second effectively a ‘new ball’ England were gifted late on day four by incompetent umpires ensured they didn’t require the third, did they?

Batting tactics are formed around the introduction of a new ball, especially in the overs leading up to it.

And suddenly Warner and Khawaja were left at the mercy of this ‘new ball’ first thing day five after their superb efforts the day before.

The clowns knew this, which is why Woakes was given it.

Woakes himself admitted as much in the speeches after.

A great shame, ballgate, giving the clowns an unfair advantage that spoiled the game.

Admirable of you to accept defeat with such good grace :D
Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind!
satsuma

Post by satsuma »

Rigs wrote: 01 Aug 2023 08:11

Oh come on.

There will always be contestable decisions in top level sport.

Players at that level deal with it.

Australia only needed one batting strategy in their innings - stay in till close of play to win the series - and they couldn't do it.

The rest is history.

Be content with retaining the Ashes, instead of whinging and whining about could have beens and should have beens.

You rubbish the Poms for doing that!
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

And introducing the BODGY 'BALLGATE' BOFFINS to round things off.

(To replace POPE the DOPE for those following :ugeek:).

ICC's very own Blues Brothers of cricket.

Perhaps if they took their sunglasses off they would have noticed the shine?
Cinderella_1_Umpires.jpg
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

satsuma wrote: 01 Aug 2023 08:45
Australia only needed one batting strategy in their innings - stay in till close of play to win the series - and they couldn't do it.

If Australia batted until stumps they did not win the test unless they had 50 more runs. A draw would have given them a 2-1 series win.

To play for a draw they'd have needed to have that mindset about 2 hours earlier with 4 or 5 wickets in hand. And even so, dead balling for half a day is VERY tough! :lol:
satsuma

Post by satsuma »

Yes but Rigs was whinging about strategy being impacted at the beginning of the day.
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

satsuma wrote: 01 Aug 2023 15:24 Yes but Rigs was whinging about strategy being impacted at the beginning of the day.
No not whingeing, nor talking about strategy.

Do pay attention, for it is clear you have no understanding of the game.

The batting tactics for Khawaja and Warner at the beginning of day 5 would have been to accelerate the run rate in anticipation of rain affecting play later in the day.

Unfortunately they were robbed of this option by BODGY & DODGY the 'BALLGATE' umpire boffins the prior afternoon when they incompetently picked a virtually new ball in liue of an old ball that had been belted around all day.

Who knows what they could see behind those shades?

Certainly not the shine or lettering of a new ball :roll:

The wicketless bowling attack seized on this unexpected gift overnight and were able to exploit totally different conditions unfairly, otherwise the CLOWNS of CRICKET had no answer to a superb batting display ...

satsuma

Post by satsuma »

Are you trying to tell me that the batters were not aware the ball was different by the time they walked out that morning?

To win the series they didn't need to accelerate the run rate, they needed to avoid being dismissed.

If bad weather came it would help them do that.

You can't argue the team is the best in the game, if they don't know the series win is more important than winning the last game!

And it's more than a tad hypocritical to complain that the ball is a bit too shiny, after having previously being caught sandpapering a ball to achieve advantage.

At least Glen congratulated the Brits on the result, you're just wallowing in sour grapes.
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

satsuma wrote: 01 Aug 2023 17:16 Are you trying to tell me that the batters were not aware the ball was different by the time they walked out that morning?
https://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/nothing-else-in-the-bo ... ba6e57b03b

‘Nothing else in the box’: Khawaja questioned umpires’ ‘brand new’ ball change in Ashes finale

The final controversy from the Ashes has left players questioning the umpires after a staggering call was made that altered the game.

Australian opener Usman Khawaja has revealed he questioned umpires at The Oval twice about the ball change that decided the fifth Ashes Test and was told there was “nothing else” in the box of replacement balls for them to choose.

Umpires Kumar Dharmasena and Joel Wilson have come under fire for their day four move to change the ball that was out of shape after clattering into Khawaja’s helmet.

Australia was on track to chase down a mammoth target of 384 before the change, with just nine balls left on day four, turned the match on its head.

Former Australian captain Ricky Ponting was one of those fuming with rage throughout day five as the home team snared three early wickets with a ball that resembled a new one before going on to dismiss the Australians for 334 and snare the victory.

Khawaja said he spoke to the umpires on both day four and again on day five about the condition of the ball they picked out, raising the subject as soon as the new ball was bowled by Mark Wood.

“I walked straight up to Kumar and said straightaway, ‘That ball looks nothing like the one we were playing with. I can see writing on it’,” Khawaja told cricket.com.au after the match finished.

“It felt harder than any ball I‘ve faced in this Ashes series – and I’ve opened the batting against the new ball every single time.

“I said, ‘I don’t know what’s going on – you’ve gone from an old, reverse (swinging) ball to a brand new ball’.”

Khawaja questioned Dharmasena’s counterpart Joel Wilson on day five before he was dismissed, as the ball seamed and was swinging and making life hard for the Australians, and was surprised by is response.

“I asked Joel again today, ‘How are we using this ball right now? It’s so new’. And he said, ‘There was nothing else in the box’,” Khawaja said.

The umpires picked from a box containing at least a dozen balls.

Even English seamer Chris Woakes, who dismissed Khawaja, said the Australians “wouldn’t have been happy” with the ball change.

Khawaja said the umpires had made a match-defining mistake and it should be looked at further.

“Personally, I think if there’s nothing else in the box that can match the ball you have, you can’t really change it,” Khawaja said.

“It‘s a bit frustrating as a batting unit because we worked our backsides off for 36 overs and then they changed the ball.

Allanswood
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by Allanswood »

Why do you have 12 balls in various stages or wear but still perfectly usuable? To cover any situation that may arise after 10/20/30/40/50 overs of wear etc.

You can't tell me that there was no similar ball in the box (that should not be possible), otherwise... go and find one!
All the other balls...were even newer?

Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

F2W8HAWaYAAEUfs.jpg
ball2.jpg
Borisdog
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by Borisdog »

The ball change "rule" has always been contentious.

I'm not surprised at all that Joel Wilson was partially involved, the "Helen Keller" of the international panel.

There needs to be at least "some" oversight from the Batting captain to prevent this sort of clear advantage to the bowling side.

I can't recall, in 50 years of watching cricket, seeing a more obvious advantage handed to a bowling side by means of a ball change. And I said it to my wife at the time before they'd even bowled with it.

Glen's blind Nun could see the difference.
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

And off they go!

Handsome covers but I am biased :D

(And still some left if any would like one ...)
IMG_0697_Billings.jpg

IMG_0696_Rigs.jpg

IMG_0695_Stephens.jpg

IMG_0694_King.jpg

IMG_0693_Dell.jpg
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Some folks will do ANYTHING to try and get a Knighthood!!

You need to be a BRIT .. and have had 5 minutes of fame in soccer or tennis or athletics or cricket or golf or darts or curling or Morriss Dancing etc.

Well done - attractive cover -- some totally bemused flunkey at the Palace who graduated from Eton will no doubt sent a robo-generated gushing thanks. :lol: :lol: :lol:
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Global Admin wrote: 02 Aug 2023 17:50

You need to be a BRIT .. and have had 5 minutes of fame in soccer or tennis or athletics or cricket or golf or darts or curling or Morriss Dancing etc.

Well done - attractive cover -- some totally bemused flunkey at the Palace who graduated from Eton will no doubt sent a robo-generated gushing thanks. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't recall hearing about KC3 having shown any interest in stamps. Shame, I'm sure that that cover from a loyal subject like Rigs would gain automatic entry to the especially cherished section of the Royal collection.
Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind!
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

I hadn’t thought of that.

Here is the enclosed letter for posterity - what are my chances? 8-)
The Ashes 2023 letter to King Charles III
The Ashes 2023 letter to King Charles III
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Hysterical. :lol: :lol:

Well some flunkey will get the job of responding .. be a great addition to the collection, and retain the Buckingham Palace outer cover.
Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

That Terry Fellow thanks Mr Rigs for the cover he will receive. :D

A rare win for him over Miss Maggie Mailbox. :lol: :lol:
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, lighthouses, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !
norvic

Post by norvic »

Rigs wrote: 02 Aug 2023 18:32

It might have been an idea for the loyal subject to check the list of Royal Warrant holders.

Royal Mail is not on it as far as I can see: not really needed for a virtual monopoly supplier of postal services.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock see Modern GB Blog Also almost everything non-GB postal history & postcards I show here is for sale: DM for details.
Mystery Postcard Nos: 265, 290/1/3, 304, 310, 320/2/4/6-8, 331/7/8, 344/6, 353/8, 360/1/3
gavin-h
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by gavin-h »

Rigs wrote: 02 Aug 2023 18:32

Paul,

I know we don't always agree on these matters, but THAT has brought a smile to my face this (uncharacteristically sunny for a Pom summer) morning.

Thanks for that, congrats on retaining the Ashes and all the best to the Rigs clan!!!
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

Cheers Gazza :)

It was without doubt a gripping contest.

If by small miracle I do manage to receive a personal reply, I have a new thread topic already to go:

Covers received from my UK penpal, His Majesty King Charles III

lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

Rigs wrote: 07 Aug 2023 20:36 .

Cheers Gazza :)

It was without doubt a gripping contest.

If by small miracle I do manage to receive a personal reply, I have a new thread topic already to go:

Covers received from my UK penpal, His Majesty King Charles III

:lol:
Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Arrived on The Grassy Knoll today. Thankyou Sir Rigs.
Australia Retain The Ashes Commemorative Cover. 2023.
Australia Retain The Ashes Commemorative Cover. 2023.
AND INSIDE was
The Ashes 2023 Clowns of Cricket. Imperf Miniature Sheet.
The Ashes 2023 Clowns of Cricket. Imperf Miniature Sheet.
x 4.

Thankyou good sir. I will keep a lookout for the ULTRA RARE Australia Win The Ashes cover.
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, lighthouses, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

Ubobo.R.O. wrote: 08 Aug 2023 19:35 Thankyou good sir. I will keep a lookout for the ULTRA RARE Australia Win The Ashes cover.
Next issue for sure 8-)

‘Sir Rigs’ has a ring to it I think.
GlenStephens
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by GlenStephens »

Arrived safely today in Castlecrag - many thanks Rigs.
It managed to escape confiscation by random British employees of Australia Post.
Terry beat me to the punch with his scans. Great sheet - very clever!
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

GlenStephens wrote: 09 Aug 2023 19:16 Arrived safely today in Castlecrag - many thanks Rigs.
It managed to escape confiscation by random British employees of Australia Post.
Terry beat me to the punch with his scans. Great sheet - very clever!
Cheers - I shall have a word with His Majesty when I get the chance.

Australia Post employ any riffraff these days - ex RM etc.

Keep that cover safe, a modern day rarity for sure 8-)

gavin-h

Post by gavin-h »

Rigs wrote: 08 Aug 2023 20:01
‘Sir Rigs’ has a ring to it I think.
And it's only one letter away from being a palindrome :lol: :lol: :lol:
norvic

Post by norvic »

My cover arrived today, thank you.

My miniature sheet appears to be not only imperforate but without gum. A well-produced item; now I have to decide on a home for it.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock see Modern GB Blog Also almost everything non-GB postal history & postcards I show here is for sale: DM for details.
Mystery Postcard Nos: 265, 290/1/3, 304, 310, 320/2/4/6-8, 331/7/8, 344/6, 353/8, 360/1/3
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

norvic wrote: 15 Aug 2023 02:19 My cover arrived today, thank you.

My miniature sheet appears to be not only imperforate but without gum. A well-produced item; now I have to decide on a home for it.
Tremendous!

As you are now on the King Creek Press mailing list, do be on the lookout for a companion cover featuring a FIFA Women’s World Cup cachet that is currently planned for release post Sunday’s final.

Rigs

Post by Rigs »

Posted today: A late request from RevRed for a 2023 Ashes ‘Clowns of Cricket’ cinderella on hand-crafted cacheted cover (including enclosed miniature sheet) to Ireland:
2023 Ashes ‘Clowns of Cricket’ cinderella on cover paying $4.29 using domestic stamps to Ireland
2023 Ashes ‘Clowns of Cricket’ cinderella on cover paying $4.29 using domestic stamps to Ireland
A cinderella still in period, and timely, given the impending World Cup about to start!

And I note these sought-after covers are already fetching top dollar in dealer circles:
3F35D9FA-8BD8-476A-A7F3-E3B2200267FE.jpeg
(Update: Despite a round the clock vigil by the postbox, still no reply from His Majesty re acceptance into the Royal Collection :cry:).

RevRed+
GOLD Shooting Star Stampboards LEGEND!
GOLD Shooting Star Stampboards LEGEND!

Post by RevRed+ »

And the cover duly arrived safely. It's a beautifully thought out cover, that I am most pleased with.
Thank you Rigs! :D

Australian Cricket Cover.
Australian Cricket Cover.

Red.
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

RevRed+ wrote: 05 Nov 2023 00:47

And the cover duly arrived safely. It's a ok beautifully thought out cover, that I am most pleased with.
Thank you Rigs! :D

My pleasure.

Rather a stunning piece if I do say so myself.

And I think we can safely assume no RM commem issue for England’s performance at the World Cup.

Australia deliver the killer blow today I see.

(Bairstow’s golden duck = priceless!) :lol:

I shall write to His Majesry and inform him of the latest crisis to befall English sport …

norvic

Post by norvic »

Rigs wrote: 05 Nov 2023 05:04
Australia deliver the killer blow today I see.
If it hadn’t rained in Bangalore New Zealand would have saved them the problem, and disposed of three other sides at the same time.
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

Interesting admission by former England captain, Nasser Hussein, in the press today.

That poor England were mentally exhausted after the Ashes to compete in their disastrous World Cup outing.

But it prompts the question: Why weren't the Aussies mentally exhausted?

Given they are about to play a World Cup semifinal for a berth in the final, not doing too badly at all.

And retained the Ashes to boot.

Is it because English cricket amounts to an ingrained whingeing loser mentality?

I shall pose this question to His Majesty next we correspond - perhaps RM can issue a consolation commem to lift their spirits?

'Bazball' and all etc. ... :roll:
2023-11-16 08_07_45-Cricket World Cup 2023_ England ‘mentally exhausted’ by timing of Ashes.jpg
https://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/poor-old-england-legen ... b055a01588

‘Poor old England’: Legend roasted for bizarre excuse for World Cup shocker
Former captain Nasser Hussain has offered a bizarre excuse for England’s World Cup shocker that will have Aussie fans shaking their heads.

Former captain Nasser Hussain believes the timing of the ODI World Cup after the Ashes left England “physically and mentally exhausted”.

The Poms are licking their wounds after a disastrous World Cup campaign that saw the defending champions finish a lowly seventh and miss out on the semi-finals.

Watch every match of The ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup Live with no ad breaks in play on Kayo Sports. Join Kayo now and start streaming instantly >

England also suffered the indignity of sitting on the bottom of the 10-team table for some time and losing to teams including Afghanistan and Sri Lanka.

India will take on New Zealand in the first semi-final on Wednesday before Australia play South Africa in the other semi-final on Thursday for the a spot in the decider.

But plenty of questions are being asked about what went wrong for England, who have named a different looking squad for a white ball tour of the West Indies.

Hussain told the Daily Mail England’s World Cup campaign wasn’t helped by the tournament being held relatively soon after an intense Ashes series.

“It’s hard for England because of the timing of World Cups on the back of an Ashes series,” the former England captain said.

“There’s so much focus on the Ashes that come the end of it, you are mentally exhausted.

“You look at players like Chris Woakes and Mark Wood and both were mentally and physically exhausted. So it’s about planning across formats.”

England won the 2019 ODI World Cup before the Ashes was held later than usual in the English summer that year.

Hussain added it was important to have a “reset” between Test series and white ball campaigns.

“There was a white ball reset under (former captain Eoin) Morgan,” he said.

“Then there was a red ball reset under Stokes. Actually what we could do is have a reset across the board, which is what Indian cricket does really well.

“We need to give each format equal care and attention all the way through.

“It’s hard for England with the timing of a lot of these World Cup’s at the end of the summer so it’s about never taking your eye off any format because if you do, sides will go past you when you think that you’re okay.

“But that is not easy to do when you’ve got so many players playing all the time.”

Earlier in the tournament, Hussain said England’s players needed to take responsibility for the World Cup failure, adding that blaming cricket structures was a lame cop out.

norvic

Post by norvic »

That was more appropriate to the Long Room thread than one about stamps, albeit Cinderellas, but whatever floats your boat.

And it’s Hussain; when you have it there in the article there’s no excuse for mid-spelling.
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

norvic wrote: 16 Nov 2023 09:45 And it’s Hussain; when you have it there in the article there’s no excuse for mid-spelling.
Australia vs India in World Cup final.

Whichever way you spell it, no commems for the poor ‘mentally exhausted’ Englost/loser cricketers this year.

What will be the miserable excuse next time? :roll:

GB 789

Post by GB 789 »

Rigs wrote: 17 Nov 2023 04:08
norvic wrote: 16 Nov 2023 09:45 And it’s Hussain; when you have it there in the article there’s no excuse for mid-spelling.

Whichever way you spell it, no commems for the poor ‘mentally exhausted’ Englost/loser cricketers this year.

I’m not sure what ‘loser’ mentality you are referring to because you seem to have forgotten who won the last World Cup? ‘Losers’ don’t win world cups the last time I checked so if you describe us as that I’d love to see what you describe New Zealand, Pakistan, South Africa, The West Indies, etc etc as.

As a ‘true’ cricket fan I have enjoyed the cricket played by India, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa in this World Cup and they deserved those four top spots.

I just very much hope you will show the same grace should India defeat Australia in the final, particularly if it involves some debatable decisions.
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

GB 789 wrote: 17 Nov 2023 05:49
Rigs wrote: 17 Nov 2023 04:08

I’m not sure what ‘loser’ mentality you are referring to because you seem to have forgotten who won the last World Cup? ‘Losers’ don’t win world cups the last time I checked so if you describe us as that I’d love to see what you describe New Zealand, Pakistan, South Africa, The West Indies, etc etc as.

As a ‘true’ cricket fan I have enjoyed the cricket played by India, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa in this World Cup and they deserved those four top spots.

I just very much hope you will show the same grace should India defeat Australia in the final, particularly if it involves some debatable decisions.
Sincere apologies.

You are quite right, Englast are not losers - they beat Netherlands!!! :lol:

Well done to Rooted, Sad Stokes and co.

No pathetic 'mental exhaustion' excuses against that 'old enemy' - phew!

No doubt RM are flat chat rolling the presses to commemorate such a momentous World Cup achievement ...

(And btw Australia have won the World Cup five times, England a paltry once, so let's not get carried away.)
2023-11-17 09_13_27-world cup england netherlands - Google Search.jpg
norvic

Post by norvic »

Yaaaaawn. This is tedious. Best advice I can give to my compatriots is not to feed the beast.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

I’m not sure what ‘loser’ mentality you are referring to because you seem to have forgotten who won the last World Cup?
Sorry to bore Poms with actual FACTS, but Britain has won ICC ODI once in 50 years - (on home turf) - the same sorry record as their sad history in World Cup soccer. Brits still dream of those glory days - 60 years back! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The FACTS are, Australia stands as the most successful team in the ICC ODI World Cup, securing victory on 5 occasions (and one more coming this week!) and earning runner-up honors twice.

Following Australia, both India and West Indies have claimed the World Cup title twice each.

The most recent edition of the ICC ODI Men’s World Cup took place in 2019 in England and Wales, where the hosting country, England, clinched the title for the first time.

After 50 years of usual failure, Cricketing Minnows ENGLAND finally manage draw equal to Sri Lanka in wins!   Knighthoods all round.
After 50 years of usual failure, Cricketing Minnows ENGLAND finally manage draw equal to Sri Lanka in wins! Knighthoods all round.
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

norvic wrote: 17 Nov 2023 10:07 Yaaaaawn. This is tedious. Best advice I can give to my compatriots is not to feed the beast.
Feed the beast?

You started it - Leg theory back in the 30s.

Worse than Bazball :roll:

Anyway getting back on topic.

An overprint for RM to help lift the spirits of Englost cricket.

I had to go back a long way to the glory days.

(Forget His Majesty’s profile - he never wrote back - so preserve his mother’s profile).
England beat Netherlands overprint World Cup 2023
England beat Netherlands overprint World Cup 2023
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Global Admin wrote: 17 Nov 2023 19:19
I’m not sure what ‘loser’ mentality you are referring to because you seem to have forgotten who won the last World Cup?
Sorry to bore Poms with actual FACTS, but Britain has won ICC ODI once in 50 years - (on home turf) - the same sorry record as their sad history in World Cup soccer. Brits still dream of those glory days - 60 years back! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The FACTS are, Australia stands as the most successful team in the ICC ODI World Cup, securing victory on 5 occasions (and one more coming this week!) and earning runner-up honors twice.

Following Australia, both India and West Indies have claimed the World Cup title twice each.

The most recent edition of the ICC ODI Men’s World Cup took place in 2019 in England and Wales, where the hosting country, England, clinched the title for the first time.

I think Royal Mail should get cunning, and print 500 million stamps saying -

ENGLAND
LOSERS

They can then stock PO's whenever there is any global sporting contest . Soccer, cricket, darts, basketball, Morriss Dancing, caber tossing etc.

They'll get a ton of usage. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “NO question is too basic or silly - you ask - we WILL help you with it!”