Should I buy the missing USA Commemorative Stamps for the Yearbooks?

Stampboards has 1000s of regular readers who WILL take the time to help out even with the most basic question. If you are new to stamps - or taking up the hobby after a long break, there is a lot to learn. PLEASE do not be shy in asking the simplest of questions .. members here will be delighted to help you with the answers!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

newstampdude
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Should I buy the missing USA Commemorative Stamps for the Yearbooks?

Post by newstampdude »

I have been sorting out my father's stamp collection and he had the US Commemorative Stamp stamp yearbooks from 1990 to 2017 (no 2000 or 2015 yearbook). In some books some stamps are missing. My goal is to sell the stamp collection, but I wonder to sell it if would make sense to fill in the holes.

- should I buy the missing stamps for the current book I have? It should not cost much, but I need to learn the matting technique which I am sure I can figure out.

- should I buy the 2000 and 2015 yearbooks to complete the set ?

CommemStampBooks.png
Last edited by Global Admin on 12 Sep 2023 10:37, edited 1 time in total.
stallzer
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Should I buy the missing USA Commemorative Stamp stamp yearbooks?

Post by stallzer »

Why bother? The chances of someone looking for a complete collection of 15 years is slim to none.

I'd piece meal them one year at a time for collectors looking to fill gaps.

Prices will vary upon your selling platform. Ive seen unopened 2013 Stamp yearbooks going for $85-$100 USD.

That's for a complete unopened book. Detract value from that if opened or missing pieces.
"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car."
Brit-Col
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Re: Should I buy the missing USA Commemorative Stamps for the Yearbooks?

Post by Brit-Col »

I’ve seen yearbooks from the 80s and 90s and early 2000s go for as little as $15 or $20. It all depends on the buyers. Sometimes you can’t give stuff away and other times someone is willing to pay more than you expected.

To directly answer the question, you’re very unlikely to improve the selling prices enough (or at all) to justify buying missing stamps or books.

BC
Good judgment is gained from experience. Experience is gained from poor judgment.
InTheGreatKhansTent
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by InTheGreatKhansTent »

If it were me, if they were missing stamps, I would go and see which stamps are a little higher in value and try to see them separately. Maybe that Johnny Cash one, from 1996 may be of interest to fans and such.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

It depends on whether you cost your time at $100 an hour like a dealer, or less than zero an hour, like many collectors. :)

The full books, sell them 'as is' and the part books, total up the face, and offer the contents at 60% face for discount postage.

Move on.

images.jpg
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
newstampdude

Post by newstampdude »

Thanks so much for the feedback. So there are about 6 Commem stamps and some normal use stamps to fill in these albums. Maybe I am a completeness freak and also thinking they may sell easier, I might buy those stamps and mat them. The investment is likely no more than 20 dollars.
gavin-h
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by gavin-h »

newstampdude wrote: 12 Sep 2023 22:03 Thanks so much for the feedback. So there are about 6 Commem stamps and some normal use stamps to fill in these albums. Maybe I am a completeness freak and also thinking they may sell easier, I might buy those stamps and mat them. The investment is likely no more than 20 dollars.

I'd act on Glen's advice. He's been a professional stamp dealer for many decades and knows what he's talking about, especially regarding how you value your time. :idea:

You spend $20 on the stamps, spend an hour adding them to the relevant books, describe and photo all the books individually and then get maybe a couple of bucks more than you would selling them as "incompletes".

Personally, if I was going to spend time on them, I'd spend it on removing ALL the stamps from ALL the books, lot them up in units of $100 face value, take one random picture, offer them at "$100 face for $60, contents may not be exactly as image", and throw the empty books in the trash. You'll get your 60% return, the buyer will pay less in postage and the job will be done and off your desk in much quicker time.

Take the cash and move on. :!:

Sorry to be blunt, but the market for modern mint stamps does not take account of sentimentality, only price. :idea:
stallzer

Post by stallzer »

What else is in the boxes?
"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car."
David Smitham

Post by David Smitham »

With NZ year books: they are impossible to do much without stripping the stamps out for postage.

Re the skeletons - I have donated them to local primary schools for their teachers to use. These contain stories about the stamps - birds, flowers etc., which the children can cut up for a project. This way there is some residual use for the skeletons and it also saves you from having to otherwise dispose of them.

David.
David Smitham
Royalpex 2025 NZ National stamp exhibition, 7-9 March, Palmerston North, NZ.
Deprotinator
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by Deprotinator »

I like David’s idea! Donate the books so that future young stamp collectors can start their own journeys.

Maybe I’m naïve but I question you guys’ rationale on the 60% face value suggestion. Most of the OP’s modern stamps are Forever stamps meaning they should be worth at least the current price to mail one first class letter. All other stamps also should be worth their face values just for postage purposes. The Scott catalog which most US collectors rely on gives most of the modern US stamps a catalog value of 2x face value. I know the real life marketplace doesn’t care about that, but most collectors looking for something specific wouldn’t find it crazy to see it listed for 2x face value, and would consider it a bargain if lower. So why not try to sell each set of stamps at 1.3 FV? Or just use them to mail your Christmas cards?
GB 789
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by GB 789 »

Deprotinator wrote: 21 Jan 2024 20:32 I like David’s idea! Donate the books so that future young stamp collectors can start their own journeys.

Maybe I’m naïve but I question you guys’ rationale on the 60% face value suggestion. Most of the OP’s modern stamps are Forever stamps meaning they should be worth at least the current price to mail one first class letter. All other stamps also should be worth their face values just for postage purposes. The Scott catalog which most US collectors rely on gives most of the modern US stamps a catalog value of 2x face value. I know the real life marketplace doesn’t care about that, but most collectors looking for something specific wouldn’t find it crazy to see it listed for 2x face value, and would consider it a bargain if lower. So why not try to sell each set of stamps at 1.3 FV? Or just use them to mail your Christmas cards?
Well yes if you only have a few mint stamps then of course most people would just use them on their own mail at full face.

I think the ‘60% of face value’ you refer too is when someone has a large amount of this sort of thing and has no real way of using up the postage themselves so sell it too a dealer.

Ultimately that dealer will sell this as discount postage say at 80% and would need to make a profit so buying at 60% is fair.

There is no way you’d find any buyers at ‘1.3 x face value’ for common items of which millions existed - it just won’t happen these days unless the stamps you’re selling has a particular scarcity value in itself.
gavin-h

Post by gavin-h »

Deprotinator wrote: 21 Jan 2024 20:32
Maybe I’m naïve but I question you guys’ rationale on the 60% face value suggestion. Most of the OP’s modern stamps are Forever stamps meaning they should be worth at least the current price to mail one first class letter.
"Should be" just doesn't take account of market forces.

The "market force" isn't Aunt Mary who wants a couple of stamps to send cards to her nieces and nephews and would pay face value at a corner shop or post office. She's always done that, always will, has never even thought that she could buy stamps through dealers' websites or ebay at a discount, and even if she could she wouldn't want to buy in bulk.

The "market force" is those stamp dealers who have knowledge and experience and handle these - very common and plentiful - stamps and trade in hundreds and thousands week in, week out. And also have to take a living wage, sundry expenses and a contribution to the tax office out of their calculation. :idea:

That "market force" has decided that today's going rate is 60%. It might decide tomorrow's rate is 55% or 65%. Therefore the choice is whether to cash in now at 60% or gamble on tomorrow or the next day, week month.

The other choice, of course, would be to actively search out all those Aunt Marys and try to sell them your stamps at face value or close to it. But to do that would value your labo(u)r at a tiny fraction of minimum wage and exclude operating expenses such as transport.

Return to “NO question is too basic or silly - you ask - we WILL help you with it!”