My Olympic Stamps Catalogue - 4 volumes of it - FREE for Downloading

There are some superb and incredibly useful reference books, and catalogues out there. And tools to measure perforations or paper thickness or LED magnifiers etc Please add your new discoveries - and recommendations to this forum. As in all forums, you can post photos of your favourites and recommendations.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

vicaf60
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

My Olympic Stamps Catalogue - 4 volumes of it - FREE for Downloading

Post by vicaf60 »

For those interested in in the Olympic theme in all its aspects - Olympic and Paralympic Games, Youth Olympics, IOC and NOCs - 4 volumes of my Olympic catalogue (Australia/Oceania, Europe (in 2 parts), North America and South America) are ready and available for free downloading:

http://www.stampsportal.ru/katalogi-olimpiady-proshloe-i-nastoyashhee/

The catalogues are in Russian, however, pictures of all stamps and sheets are presented, together with a cross-reference tables of stamp numbers to 4 world catalogues: Yvert, Michel, Scott and SG.

At the end of each volume is a reference list of all Olympians mentioned in the catalogue.

Any comments and additions are welcomed. :)
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: My Olympic Stamps Catalogue - 4 volumes of it - FREE for Downloading

Post by Global Admin »

A lot of work there - well done. :)

As you fully realise EVERY new thread MUST have an image of some kind -

kat-1980-1-3.jpg

google translate does a pretty good job -

Catalogs "Olympics: past and present"

From the author

This catalog makes another attempt to summarize the huge volume of postage stamps issued around the world on the theme “Olympic Games”. Similar catalogs already exist in different languages, and the author used them whenever possible in preparing this directory catalogue. The main difference from its predecessors is a different, expanded approach to the Olympic theme. Already published thematic catalogs are for the most part limited in the selection of material to formal features - the presence of Olympic symbols on stamps (Olympic rings, emblems of specific Olympic Games, identifying text).

In the catalog-reference book presented to the attention of the collector-reader, an attempt is made to expand the previous catalogs by including material that has attracted more and more interest in recent decades among Olympic-themed philatelists - issues that are not formally related to the Olympic (and in other cases, generally to sports) topic, but representing people and events directly related to the Olympics - images of specific Olympic athletes, Olympic sports facilities, monuments to Olympians, etc. Through the joint efforts of philatelists in different countries, a large amount of information has already been accumulated, partly summarized in individual publications and on specialized Internet sites, partly scattered across various philatelic and general publications.

The directory catalog also includes issues related to Olympic ceremonies, primarily the official opening and closing of the Olympic Games, which were not previously included in catalogs on Olympic topics (although they were used in individual exhibition exhibits dedicated to specific Olympic Games), as well as art competitions included in the program of the Olympic Games in 1912-1948, and holders of the Olympic Order. At the same time, the topic of Olympic art competitions and holders of the Olympic Order at the time of preparation of the directory catalog was not fully developed, so there may be omissions in the lists of awardees.

The reference catalog includes all postal issues known to the author at the time of its submission to the “virtual press”, with the image of specific Olympic athletes, regardless of what age they are depicted on postage stamps and blocks. Issues dedicated to the presidents and members of the IOC and NOC, as well as persons holding specific positions in the Organizing Committees of specific Olympic Games, were included in full, if such information was known to the compiler.

The material in the directory catalog is organized on a geographical basis (by continents and countries), the description is by country in chronological order. Each country uses its own numbering, and in the number an indication of the country is given using a two-letter Latin code, similar to the code of the corresponding country on the Internet, and a serial number. For special issue forms (postal blocks, small sheets) included as separate units, the corresponding issue form code is indicated after the country code (B - postal block, S - small sheet, LB - luxury block). Stamps in blocks and sheets are numbered in Latin lowercase letters.

Perforated releases, which have no other differences from the main release except perforation, are indicated only in the description of the series and do not have separate numbering. As illustrations, we used both materials from the author’s collection and scans taken from open online sources - online auctions (Delcampe, ebay, meshok) and philatelic forums. Images are not shown to the same scale.

To facilitate the use of the directory catalog, after each issue there is a table with cross-references to the numbering of the world's main catalogs.

At the end of each volume there is a list of names of athletes and figures of the Olympic movement mentioned in the catalog, with a brief description of the connection with the Olympic theme. Taking into account the possibility of discrepancies in the translation of individual surnames into Russian, the list is given in the order of the English alphabet for persons from countries using letters other than Cyrillic, and in the order of the Russian alphabet for persons from countries with Cyrillic letters. In the description of postal issues, athletes depicted on stamps who did not participate in the Olympic Games are highlighted in red, where they are indicated for completeness of the description.

This catalog is not a commercial publication and is intended for free distribution in pdf format among a wide range of philatelists interested in Olympic topics.

The author understands perfectly well that the topic discussed in the directory catalog is vast and can be more or less fully disclosed only through the joint efforts of many collectors, each of whom will contribute their own bit of knowledge. Therefore, I would be grateful for any comments on the contents of the directory catalog, as well as additions to the existing passes, especially regarding the decoding of numerous issues of sports stamps. Contact address: vicaf60 [ att] mail.ru

Author-compiler Viktor Evgenievich Afanasyev, Minsk (Belarus)
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

Thank you for translating the Preface to the catalogues, Glen.

Sorry for not having uploaded pictures - here are cover pages of 2 volumes with sample pages (the picture above is from a different catalogue, on 1980 Moscow Olympics, it's not mine, and it's not available for downloading)

Australia_1.jpg
Australia_2.jpg
South America_1.jpg
South America_2.jpg
Philexx
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by Philexx »

Congratulations Victor. A mighty piece of work that is extremely useful to all Olympics collectors.
Join the Stampboards Monthly Cover Exchanges
Bill H UK
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by Bill H UK »

Beautifully designed - hugely impressive piece of work. Respect!
Collecting mint British Empire / Colonial up to the 1960s, Bridlington & East Yorkshire postal history, and wacky postcards.
Clapas
I was online for post number TEN MILLION!
I was online for post number TEN MILLION!

Post by Clapas »

Congratulations on this immense and high quality work Victor ;)
Thank you very much for sharing this with all collectors. ;) ;)

Thierry
All the FDCs around the world that you can send to me at my address by post : writers, Greek or Roman mythology, and sailboats, voiliers, boats contact me by e mail thclapas(at)proton(dot)me thank you
Belti
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Belti »

Well done for this piece of work and thanks a lot for sharing with other collectors.
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer. Bruce Lee
Jose Paulo
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by Jose Paulo »

Victor,

Your work is excellent.

Congratulations.
José Paulo
I Collect: Bridges theme / Hotel Advertising Covers and Envelopes
vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

Many thanks for your high appreciation, guys :)
DJCMH

Post by DJCMH »

Congratulations Victor your catalogue is absolutely amazing
APS #173088 Stamp Catalog Coordinator for Colnect Online Catalogue https://colnect.com/en/stamps
polisciguy2011

Post by polisciguy2011 »

Phenomenal work; well done! Many congratulations on publishing!
-- Zach --
Collecting Interests: Benelux, Scandinavia, German area, Sarawak, KGV Silver Jubilee, Italy, Spain, Israel, France/Colonies
pirano

Post by pirano »

VERY Nicely done, Victor. Looking forward to taking a closer look - and brushing up on my Cyrillic alphabet. :D
Collecting used postage and revenue stamps and covers worldwide. Find me on Colnect here: https://colnect.com/en/collectors/collector/BobRamsak
vicaf60

Post by vicaf60 »

Volumes 1 (Australia/Oceania) and 4 (Europe, both parts) have been updated to include 2023, and are availablefor downloading (the link above).

Return to “Knowledge really is POWER in this hobby! Catalogues, journals and reference books.”