Assistance with "German??" Fritz Schardt Cinderella

We all have and handle these from time to time. "Back of book", Revenues, "Cinderellas", duty stamps and all kinds of other stamp like labels. Discuss them all HERE!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

librarianc
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Assistance with "German??" Fritz Schardt Cinderella

Post by librarianc »

I found the following stamp in a recent estate and I have no clue what I am looking at.

Cinderella or Local or Philatelic Exhibition label?
5 Pfennig Fritz Schardt cinderella/local stamp
5 Pfennig Fritz Schardt cinderella/local stamp
The reverse has thin lines across it like an old school scribbler.

Can anyone identify this one - possibly with basic info like year, location and even approx. value?

Any assistance is appreciated.

John A
Armstrong'sStamps**http://www.armstrongsstamps.ca
Canada Errors, Freaks and Oddities (EFO) - Knowledge is Key.....Libraries work!
nigelc
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Re: Assistance with "German??" Fritz Schardt Cinderella

Post by nigelc »

Hi John,

Nice label! :)

Here's a German Wikipedia link that describes the society and has a few more example labels:

https://veikkos-archiv.com/index.php?title=Weltverband_Kosmopolit

Google Translate gives:

The world association Kosmopolit (from the ancient Greek kosmos (world) and polites (citizen)) was founded during the international conference of postcard collectors from July 22nd to 25th, 1897 in Nuremberg on the initiative of the publisher's owner Fritz Schardt.

During its heyday, the association had 15,000 members in Germany, who, like today's Postcrossing, responded to every postcard they received with a postcard sent.

As a club greeting, the postcards contained the word "Gutferngruß", probably because lower fees were charged for postcards with up to 5 words at the time.

The association members sent thousands of cards around the world, usually with the inscription “revenge card requested” or “return card desired” and often stamped with the emblem of the world association and the name and address of the collector.

The emblem of the world association was a globe wrapped around a banner with the inscription "Kosmopolit - Gut Fern Greetings".

The founding members were Berthold Peschke (Federal President), Johannes Späth (Deputy Federal President), Eduard Willner (Federal Representative), Carl Wilhelm Moll (Federal Secretary) and the founder Fritz Schardt (Honorary Chairman).

The main headquarters was at Färberstrasse 29 in Nuremberg.

The club was still active on October 24, 1920.

I think "revenge" above for "Revanche" is a misleading translation. I believe the idea is more like a rematch or return match in sport.
Nigel
librarianc

Re: Assistance with "German??" Fritz Schardt Cinderella

Post by librarianc »

Thank you Nigel. That is far more info than I originally had (or found).

I appreciate the time.

John A
Armstrong'sStamps**http://www.armstrongsstamps.ca
Canada Errors, Freaks and Oddities (EFO) - Knowledge is Key.....Libraries work!

Return to “Cinderellas etc - all the stamps that are NOT regular postage stamp related”