WANTED: Belgium 1904 Maison Ed. Taymans 'FR DAMIEN' Cinderella Stamp

Others might have what you need -- be specific .. you never know what is out there! But be CERTAIN you have turned "ON" your email access in your account settings, or no-one will be able to contact you. You NEVER know what members of this board have for sale. Do ASK for what you are looking for!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Catweazle
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

WANTED: Belgium 1904 Maison Ed. Taymans 'FR DAMIEN' Cinderella Stamp

Post by Catweazle »

WANTED: Maison Ed. Taymans 'Fr Damien of Molokai' cinderella or private stamp, dated 1904 according to the design. Issued in Belgium, I think?
Wanted: Belgium 1904 Maison Ed. Taymans 'Fr Damien of Molokai' Cinderella / Private Stamp
Wanted: Belgium 1904 Maison Ed. Taymans 'Fr Damien of Molokai' Cinderella / Private Stamp
I saw this listed some years ago on Etsy, of all places. However, the seller never returned my replies and the listing disappeared off the site, unsold, within a few days. I continued to message the seller over the next few weeks, but still never had a reply. Never seen one since. Lucky I saved the listing photograph they provided at the time.

Worth a punt – have you got one, or seen one for sale anywhere? I'd like one for my collection. Or can you point me in the right direction somewhere?

Maison Ed. Taymans is an abbreviation of Maison-atelier d'Édouard Taymans, once situated in Rue des Champs Élysées in Belgium. This was a workshop founded by one Edouard Taymans – a coal merchant and charcoal maker who made his fortune by marketing a new type of stove.

The house was rebuilt in the Art Nouveau style in 1906 by Paul Hamesse. On the other side of a courtyard closed by a gate, a glazed gallery served as an exhibition for the sale of his heating appliances. It was built six years after the house, in 1912.

But why, then, the 1904 on the stamp? My understanding is that the building was in fact there before 1906 and that the Art Nouveau architect, Paul Hamesse, came along then and renovated the then current residence which had originally been built sometime during the nineteenth century.

Taymans requested that it be partially demolished, before being rebuilt by Hamesse, in a geometric Art Nouveau aesthetic, faithful to the work of Paul Hankar. Further details can be found on my 2022 post here: https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?p=8483543#p8483543

The French text reads: "Please do not forward this letter and find out if the addressee is no longer at the address."

More, I do not know. My guess is that this is a cinderella or, more likely, a private stamp issued for some type of local or internal mail.

Whatever it is, I want one!
Collecting Stamps & Postal History of Molokai | Polar Regions in WWII | Chatham Islands | Lord Howe Island | Greenland et hoc genus omne
joelk

Re: WANTED: Belgium 1904 Maison Ed. Taymans 'FR DAMIEN' Cinderella Stamp

Post by joelk »

I don’t know where you can find one but the translation of the french note is not correct.

Instead of ‘and find out’ it should say ‘and open it’.

The french text says ‘de l’ouvrir’ and not ‘decouvrir’.
Catweazle

Re: WANTED: Belgium 1904 Maison Ed. Taymans 'FR DAMIEN' Cinderella Stamp

Post by Catweazle »

Ah, I see. Thanks for the update! It's a funny sort of font but now that I read it a second time I see what you mean.

Well, the hunt continues... :idea:
Collecting Stamps & Postal History of Molokai | Polar Regions in WWII | Chatham Islands | Lord Howe Island | Greenland et hoc genus omne

Return to “WANTED by members - Stamps or FDC or Accessories or images etc.”