Question on 2002 Toy Taxicab USA 37 cent stamp double transfer

Stampboards has 1000s of regular readers who WILL take the time to help out even with the most basic question. If you are new to stamps - or taking up the hobby after a long break, there is a lot to learn. PLEASE do not be shy in asking the simplest of questions .. members here will be delighted to help you with the answers!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Hinkle
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Question on 2002 Toy Taxicab USA 37 cent stamp double transfer

Post by Hinkle »

Hi, I know modern stamps aren't desirable, but can stamps likes this be any interest with errors. I've done much of research on this stamp, and only came up with double transfer.

I could be wrong, but hopefully someone can help me what would be the correct answer for this. Is something like this would be common, or rare. Just wanna be sure before i put it back in the pile.

Thank you :D
20240307_083418.jpg
20240307_080702.jpg
Last edited by Global Admin on 08 Mar 2024 05:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added paragraphs and spacing and “air” – always a superb idea on Bulletin Boards! Use the "PREVIEW" button folks. It is there for a GOOD reason.
AdmiralCollector
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Re: Question on 2002 toy taxicab usa 37 cent stamp double transfer

Post by AdmiralCollector »

Doubling on modern stamps is usually caused by the paper accidentally slipping against the printing plate as it goes through the press. If you look closely, this is a fairly common variety on many modern stamps. So your stamp does not have a double transfer on it.

Double transfers are varieties that are on the printing plate and so appear on every stamp printed from that plate. There are 2 types of double transfers:
- those that are found on stamps printed by line engraving (also sometimes called re-entries),
- those that are found on stamps printed by lithography (lithographic double transfer).
In both cases the defect happened while the plate (line engraving) or lithographic stone (lithography) was being made. For more information, see Fundamentals of Philately by L.N. Williams.
Line Engraving double transfer: Canada Scott #104, position 12LR35.
Line Engraving double transfer: Canada Scott #104, position 12LR35.
Line Engraving double transfer: Canada Scott #104, position 12LR35, detail.
Line Engraving double transfer: Canada Scott #104, position 12LR35, detail.
Lithographic double transfer: Bolivia Scott #49.
Lithographic double transfer: Bolivia Scott #49.
Lithographic double transfer: Bolivia Scott #49, detail.
Lithographic double transfer: Bolivia Scott #49, detail.
norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Question on 2002 Toy Taxicab USA 37 cent stamp double transfer

Post by norvic »

Whatever it looks like, the taxi stamp is almost certainly printed in four colours, black cyan magenta and yellow.

It only needs a slight mis-registration for doubling to occur. This shows on outlines of blocks of colour, such as the orange on the wheels, but is most noticeable on thin parts such as text.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock see Modern GB Blog Also almost everything non-GB postal history & postcards I show here is for sale: DM for details.
Mystery Postcard Nos: 265, 290/1/3, 304, 310, 320/2/4/6-8, 331/7/8, 344/6, 353/8, 360/1/3

Return to “NO question is too basic or silly - you ask - we WILL help you with it!”