Question re date Singapore Paquebot 'British Fleet Mail – 9' cancel?

Stampboards has 1000s of regular readers who WILL take the time to help out even with the most basic question. If you are new to stamps - or taking up the hobby after a long break, there is a lot to learn. PLEASE do not be shy in asking the simplest of questions .. members here will be delighted to help you with the answers!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Dustyhoard
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Question re date Singapore Paquebot 'British Fleet Mail – 9' cancel?

Post by Dustyhoard »

So I've aquired a postcard of the Tai Pai Floating Restaurant in Hong Kong and it has what seem to be some interesting cancels on the back.
“British Fleet Mail – 9” & Singapore
“British Fleet Mail – 9” & Singapore
It's hard to read the date but I think it must be 1967 not 1957 as there are many near identical postcards on Ebay from the late 60s not the 50s, and in any case I collect postcards and this feels more like a late 60s than a late 50s card. It's too colourful and shiny for earlier.

However the only references to a "British Fleet Mail 9” cancel I can find online are from the 50s and one suggests it could have been posted on board HMS Glory which was decommissioned in 1957 and scrapped in 1961. So I'm a little confused. It can't be from HMS Glory, surely. Is there somewhere I can find out what “British Fleet Mail – 9” means?

Here's the front of the card.
Tai Pai Floating Restaurant
Tai Pai Floating Restaurant
Last edited by Global Admin on 07 Apr 2024 16:49, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Expanded extremely vague heading, to make more sense to members
Kainnikanada
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Pacquebot “British Fleet Mail – 9”?

Post by Kainnikanada »

Dustyhoard,

Definitely '67' as seen in these enhanced enlargements.
PC-HONGKONG-5b face -01.03 dustyhoard adj.jpg
PC-HONGKONG-5b face -01.05 dustyhoard adj.jpg
Time to quit. Was told what I should collect.
Dustyhoard

Re: Pacquebot “British Fleet Mail – 9”?

Post by Dustyhoard »

Thanks, yeah. I think I've solved the issue more or less. I have a few old books/catalogues but not one with lots of postmarks, but I found a volume of Collect British postmarks on archive.org, and that suggests the number references the naval port, not a ship. So according to that number 9 refers to "Australia, UK, Hong Kong". In that case I can only imagine it was posted at a naval base in Hong Kong because of the message. The fellow writes that he had dinner at the restaurant pictured on the postcard which is located in Hong Kong!

Return to “NO question is too basic or silly - you ask - we WILL help you with it!”