monty .. congrats .... well done with your guesses, and Moderators Roly and Margo have both double checked the guesses, and you squeezed in ahead of Lakatoi4!MargoZ wrote:Thanks to Roly for this- I have double checked and by my mathematics, Monty is indeed our winner (9 numbers off to Lakatoi's 15). All entries were valid up to my 'Cut-off' post so well and truly posted prior to that.RolyRJ wrote:Monty Friday Feb 20, 2009 9:57:56 with 52246 if the time qualifys.
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=0&t=10705&p=450106&hilit=52246#p450106" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lakatoi 4 Tuesday Feb 10, 2009 1:56:00 with 52270 time does qualify.
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=0&t=10705&p=437875&hilit=52270#p437875" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Any other input? Otherwise we will declare Monty the winner tomorrow.
Please contact me with your mailing addresse .. they are all yours!
Since we are rapidly closing in on 500,000 posts (that's a half of million folks), I thought a fitting way to help approach such a HUGE milestone for https://www.stampboards.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; would be to have a competition with a pretty AMAZING prize.
Following on from Lakatoi4's similar promo from a year back, where members were asked to guess how many on paper stamps MargoZ was counting in the pile below, we came up with an even HARDER one for 2009!
So rather then list them up for sale here at a few $100 and induce a feeding frenzy among members, I'd thought I'd kick off 2009 with a giveaway from me, as a personal "thank you" to all our members for their ongoing support of stampboards.
Every stamp collector's dream ... a BED full of stamps! (Many more photos below)
These are NOT just all common letter rate stamps. Looking though it I saw all kinds of better stamps in there - from all over the place. From Queen Victoria issues onwards.
The number of stamps here will be massive .... to WIN you need to guess closer than anyone else, HOW many there are here! And OK it will NOT be anything remotely like a "million" stamps - that much is very obvious and is a term of speech - but boy there really are a LOT of stamps here!
Remember the ON-PAPER from the April 2008 competition was approx 70% paper and 30% stamp in volume. These are all OFF paper. Where the number of stamps even in 100 grams is HEAPS, and there are kilos of weight here. One hint - there are MANY, MANY times more stamps in here than the last promo.
We spread the carton out on a Queen sized bed as you can see, and even then they are MANY stamps deep in places .. often an inch or so deep.
1. The VERY many 1000s of stamps in the photos below have been carefully counted by moderator MargoZ. The exact number of stamps counted has been emailed to senior member GJ50 (President of the Australian Philatelic Federation) who has agreed to a strict vow of secrecy until the competition closes.
2. For obvious reasons we cannot tell you the WEIGHT of this lot - although clearly, it is several kilos - a wine carton full. One hint - there are MANY, MANY times more stamps in here than the last promo.
3. At 9pm, Friday, February 20th AEDST (Sydney time) the competition will be deemed closed. Any number posted on the competition thread after that point will be void. All members are eligible to post.
4. As soon as practical after that time, GJ50 will post the winning number of stamps in the competition thread (this may not be immediate though, depending on the time of day or night the actual post is made - so please be patient.) Or if Margoz or Glen Stephens are up and about, they'll post the number, and ask GJ50 to verify it later on.
5. Neither MargoZ, GJ50, nor Glen Stephens will be eligible to enter the competition.
6. The winner of this competition will be the first to post the exact number of stamps shown in the photos here.
7. Should there be more than one exact number posted, the earliest post with the exact number will win.
8. If the exact number is not posted, then the closest number either above or below the exact number will win.
9. In the event that there is a tie with rule 8, then rule 7 will be used to decide a winner. i.e. if the actual number of stamps is 32675 and member "A" guesses 32671 on Feb 3, and Member "B" guess 32679 on Feb 9 ... despite them bot being only 4 numbers off, Member "A" wins - being first to post from the 2 members.
10. Members may have as MANY guesses as they wish. You can post 50 guesses in a row of 50 posts if you wish. You can post commentary as well in your post, as long as there is a guess number in there somewhere! 8)
11. Members do not need to post in any order. i.e. one member can guess at 10021, and the next member can guess at 19205 and the next member at 14368. That is fine ... the powerful search function on https://www.stampboards.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; will AFTER the close time, determine who got the exact number, or the closest number to it. If you really think there are about 40,000 stamps here for instance, you can cover a lot of numbers either side if you wish, via many separate posts.
12. However only ONE number guess per post. If you want to pick 25 numbers you need to make 25 posts etc, so our winner checking will be quick and easy. NO edits are permitted - if you make an error, make a new post - any post showing an edit code is Disqualified. Do NOT use commas or spaces on ANY GUESS so that checking the winner will be easy via the search facility. If your guess is 25,037 or 25 037 you MUST enter it as 25027 - OK?
13. The prize is all the stamps you see in these photos below. I'll mail these Registered, post free anywhere in Australia. If an overseas winner prevails, we split the shipping cost - OK, as this box is rather heavy.
14. This competition is meant to be FUN, and a test of your stamp guessing skills. All current members may enter, and you can make as many posts as you wish. One competition last year saw a "clever" young USA member set up a automated "posting bot" which was of course cheating, and not in the spirit of the game - or this board. His number actually won, but as he was suspended once Admin had determined this cheating, the next closest member's guess was the winner. The old adage "Cheats Never Prosper" was proven most prophetic in this case.
15. The judge's (i.e. Glen Stephens) decision is absolutely final. 8)
https://tinyurl.com/baayy3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;