Surprise single-location GB Gold Machin Horizon Label trial

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Surprise single-location GB Gold Machin Horizon Label trial

Post by norvic »

An unannounced new Horizon Label, bearing the Machin Head and with die-cut 'perforations', was trialled at the Branch Post Office at Camden High Street, in London, on Monday 8th June.

The new labels were printed by De La Rue, and were available only for the Special Delivery service, costing £4.95.

We understand that although exact quantities are not known the number of
labels available for the trial is not large. Branch staff on the day
explained there were only a limited quantity available as they were the
only trial office and a nationwide roll out would be dependant on the
results and a further printing of the label which would not necessarily be
the same.

Although this may not be regarded by some as a stamp, and may not be listed by mainstream catalogues, it is sure to be sought after by many collectors of Machin stamps and postal mechanisation speciaists. Unusually, for modern developments, examples will all be posted to UK addresses as the Special Delivery service is not available to international destinations.

As with all Horizon Labels it should not be available mint. Given the very few numbers and single-location this is likely to be strictly enforced. Some FDCs have been produced.

The label:

And the FDC:
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - Not looking at all threads. If you need an answer please quote my post so I get a notification, or boardmail direct. GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site

norvic

Re: Surprise single-location Gold Machin Horizon Label trial !!

Post by norvic »

I understand that only about 90 FDCs were prepared and another 200 approx ordinary items of Special Delivery mail sent with these labels on the first day.

One on eBay UK at http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=130311645830" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - Not looking at all threads. If you need an answer please quote my post so I get a notification, or boardmail direct. GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site

PeterS
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by PeterS »

Ian, I am guessing that the 200 'commercial' covers will turn out to be the scarcer item, on the basis that most will NOT be to collectors?
Peter
Hawthorn - AFL Premiers 1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015

PeterS

Post by PeterS »

Also, what is the likelihood of a general release of this same label in the future?
Peter
Hawthorn - AFL Premiers 1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015

norvic

Post by norvic »

@PeterS
You are correct, the 200 non-philatelic SD items will be much scarcer. On this basis one must assume that 200 is a normal number for this branch in a day -or at least a Monday!

Aside from first day use, commercial examples of the use of this label will be difficult to find. I would guess 95% or more of every day SD mail goes to people who are not interested in stamps. Some offices do clip mail for charities and some people would recognise this as an item to be so clipped, so they may turn up in kiloware in a few years.

Nationwide distribution will occur if this trial is successful. Whether the same design will be used or not is a different matter. I understand that there were several 'lab' versions before the decision was taken to use this one for this live trial.

postagelabelsuk
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by postagelabelsuk »

The Post Office have indicated that the last day of sale of the Horizon Gold Machin Head labels, currently being used at one branch (Camden High Street, London, NW1 ) will be 11th September 2009. No other branches will sell the label or any further extention will occur for the time being. Any further developments may utilise a different label to that used at Camden.

A reposting facility will be available for the last day only - All covers must reach Camden Town Crown office by next Friday (Absolutely no back dating will be possible) and payment to cover the Special Delivery rate of at least £4.95 must be made by Postal Order payable to 'Post Office Ltd' only.

Covers should be addressed to:
Branch manager
Camden Town Crown office
114-120 Camden High Street,
Camden
London, NW1 0RR
It may be necessary to restrict quantities if stock run low. RMSD Covers can only be sent to UK addresses.
UK ATM Philately-
THE Modern Collecting Alternative

Http://www.postagelabelsuk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Didge
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by Didge »

Folks,

I am sure these will be very sort after. Does anyone have any commercially used examples?

Tim

postagelabelsuk

Tim

It is very difficult to find commercially used examples as most are consigned to the bin. The best you can hope for is 'manufactured' examples , which have appeared on Ebay at a considerable premium over face~ most selling in the range £20~£40. Once the last day has passed and no further examples are available from Camden , I would expect the prices to rise further.

Brian
UK ATM Philately-

norvic

Post by norvic »

We still have some sent to commercial addresses, some with definitives paying part of the postage -
http://www.norphil.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2259" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

norvic

Re: Surprise single-location Gold Machin Horizon Label trial

Post by norvic »

As the trial of these labels ended yesterday and is not going to be extended immediately, PO Ltd arranged that last day covers could be produced. Here is one with the minimum value label of £0.01

Didge

Post by Didge »

Folks,

Any genuine commercials appeared?

Tim

postagelabelsuk

Tim

Not sure how you could distinguish between the 'comercial' covers Ian has produced for sale and others posted to business addresses.

My feeling is unless the sender advised the recipient that the item is "special" they will be thrown away. The chances of items posted to people other than collectors appearing are very slim- but then would that make them not 'genuine commercials' -however that is defined?

My advice would be if you want one, buy one now as they become rarer as time goes on- and who wants a 'gap' in their collection?

B
UK ATM Philately-

norvic

Post by norvic »

B, Tim -
there are examples which are not addressed to collectors or businesses, I have several. But they are not truly commercial in the sense that Tim asks, because I arranged for them to be sent to businesses. But on the website I have blurred the addresses. (Image too big to show here.)

Jack
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Re: Surprise single-location Gold

Post by Jack »

I would have thought that all of this is so well publicised that basically everything from it is philatelic unless clearly suggested otherwise. More interested in the other earlier labels where I have at least seen one person buying 'stamps' for his company.

norvic

Post by norvic »

Jack wrote:I would have thought that all of this is so well publicised that basically everything from it is philatelic unless clearly suggested otherwise. More interested in the other earlier labels where I have at least seen one person buying 'stamps' for his company.
Jack, I think you're right about what is currently on the market. But the Camden office was chosen particularly because it handled a high volume of Special Delivery post - even on day 1, there were about 200 regular items compared with about 110 philatelic FDCs, and there was no mass-media warning about that, just a few people new about it.

I'm hoping that what may happen is that some labels will appear in kiloware. People in offices do still tear off the stamps and put them in a carrier to pass on to charity periodically - and we only just reached 3 months on. I suspect after Christmas bagsful will be passed to Oxfam, RSPCA, Stamps for Evangelists, etc, and some may appear then.

Earlier labels are quite well covered on our website, though not completely up to date - https://www.norphil.co.uk/articles/horizon/labels.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not sure about your last point - are you referring to Post & Go, and Faststamps?

postagelabelsuk

It is now understood that the De La Rue printed 'Gold Machin' postage labels, previously trialed at 'Camden Town High Street Crown Office' will shortly return to use at Post Office Counters ~ This time, initially at least, the distribution of the labels will be restricted to Post Offices in Wales.

This means the overprint that will appear on the labels will be bilingual, giving rise to new varients - as there is currently two styles of overprint in use - one from the original Horizon-enabled Post Offices and the other thinner printing style of Branches that have been upgraded to 'Horizon Online'. A further complication is that some Branches in Wales produce a 'English' overprint.

Additionally, unlike the Camden trial, their use will not be restricted to 'Special Delivery' mail and all classes of mail that currently receives a Postage Label will be eligible for a new 'gold' label. This means that Airmail to Australia items will have gold labels affixed!

The distribution of the labels will commence from April 12th 2010 , giving a potential First Day of Issue of around the 13th April - but no official First Day facilities will be offered by Royal Mail or the Post Office. The labels are from a different print run than that used as Camden Town, but it remains to be see if there are any visual differences!

The distribution will be phased, meaning that branches will receive labels on different dates - there is no instruction to use them over the existing white labels so they will appear randomly.

UK ATM Philately-

postagelabelsuk

PS Has anyone ever found any of the original trial labels in any Kiloware?

Brian.
UK ATM Philately-

machin head
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!
I was online for our Birthday Number 3!

Re: Surprise single-location Gold Machin Horizon Label trial

Post by machin head »

One of these turned up in my post recently, will include it as a curio. :wink:

May 1840 - one of the greatest social revolutions in history!

postagelabelsuk

will include it as a curio
Just a curio? With a 'full' SG listing and more to follow- pictorials, different varieties and more machines..?

Its the future..

Brian
UK ATM Philately-

stampchris
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by stampchris »

postagelabelsuk wrote:Image
Is this an image of real Welsh Gold Horizon label? Appears to be imperforate.
Chris
Chris de Haer - Author of 'A Closer Look at Modern Australian Stamps' in Stamp News Australia.Online Shop Latest news on my blog

norvic

Re: Surprise single-location GB Gold Machin Horizon Label trial

Post by norvic »

That will be a test or mock-up and is not peeled from the backing paper. (I think.)

postagelabelsuk

Yes the image shown is of a label prior to it being peeled from its backing sheet. The 'perforations' are die cut into the backing sheet and can just be seen at the top of the image (Which is a mock up using the original images produced at Camden) - The labels just about to be issued may differ in some way- I dont know Ive not seen one of those yet..

Brian :)
UK ATM Philately-

stampchris

Re: Surprise single-location GB Go

Post by stampchris »

Thanks Brian. Have only ever seen these labels stuck on an envelope, hence why I thought the image was imperforate. Yes, I can see the perforations now I look at it more closely.

Does anybody have connections in Wales who could organise for a few to be sent to me in Australia? Would love to add one to my Camden trial examples, and know of two others who would love one. Please e-mail separately.

Chris
Chris de Haer - Author of 'A Closer Look at Modern Australian Stamps' in Stamp News Australia.Online Shop Latest news on my blog

norvic

Post by norvic »

As long as you don't want a first day, I can probably get one some time - or even persuade my wife to try next time she's over that way. Much depends on how quickly they get out there in a live situation.

skilo54

Re: Surprise single-location GB Gold Machin Horizon Label tr

Post by skilo54 »

Now This was really nice to see on a recent package I received!

Truly Awesome! I just noticed the words "Royal Mail" make up the contour lines of the Queens Bust! WOW! Very Impressive size as well!

This totally made up for some of the poor stamps I got on the inside of the pakage! :lol:

Have a Good One,

Skilo54

chippin
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by chippin »

I was lucky enough to receive one of these recently on a small parcel. Better than the nasty white ones at least.

and in close up..

The only ones posted so far seem to be out of Wales or London - my local post office certainly doesn't seem to be using them. Are they being rolled out nationwide or are they just being used in the bigger centres at present?

chippin

postagelabelsuk

chippin wrote:I was lucky enough to receive one of these recently on a small parcel. Better than the nasty white ones at least.

and in close up..

The only ones posted so far seem to be out of Wales or London - my local post office certainly doesn't seem to be using them. Are they being rolled out nationwide or are they just being used in the bigger centres at present?

chippin
Chippin

All Branches are no longer able to order plain white labels - so it depends on how many they have in stock and the volume of mail they process as to when they start using the gold ones..

Ive seen labels from Scotland, England and NI so far - a random distribution other then to Wales who all were sent some without having to order them.

Brian
UK ATM Philately-

norvic

Post by norvic »

Here's a bi-lingual one from Wales - images of international usage required, please!

bsward
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Post by bsward »

Usage of these is definitely increasing; was very nicely suprised by one of these in the post recently :D.

Ben

norvic

Post by norvic »

bsward wrote:Usage of these is definitely increasing; was very nicely suprised by one of these in the post recently :D.

Ben
Another PO branch not following the rules. Stamps used in part-payment where a label pays the balance should be cancelled with the counter date stamp. Advise the sender, and that way you might get some better vfu stamps next time.

What codes are on the definitives? (see https://norphil.blogspot.com/search/label/MA10)

bsward

Post by bsward »

MBIL top right and no date code as far as I can see.

Ben

hertsboy
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by hertsboy »

PeterS wrote:Ian, I am guessing that the 200 'commercial' covers will turn out to be the scarcer item, on the basis that most will NOT be to collectors?
Yipee! I got one on some mail to me the other day! Already stashed it away.

norvic

Post by norvic »

hertsboy wrote:
PeterS wrote:Ian, I am guessing that the 200 'commercial' covers will turn out to be the scarcer item, on the basis that most will NOT be to collectors?
Yipee! I got one on some mail to me the other day! Already stashed it away.
Calm down :!: :roll:
The 200 commercial covers referred to above were those which were sent from Camden on the first day of the one-office trial last year, and the comparison was with the actual dealer-inspired first day covers.

The current batch will be of interest especially to Machin collectors, as I have no doubt that the labels' design will be developed over the years and might include barcodes for some services, such as were trialled at Albemarle Street , London W1 in June 2004
This is a SD label which has the bar-code preprinted, and incorporating a white area for Horizon-type printing at the time of posting. I've never seen one actually used. This is from Brian's PostagelabelsUK blog.

PeterS

Post by PeterS »

Ian, have I made my fortune from the original cover I bought from you yet? Can I retire? Can I? :lol:
Peter

norvic

Post by norvic »

PeterS wrote:Ian, have I made my fortune from the original cover I bought from you yet? Can I retire? Can I? :lol:
I think you could probably double your money, which isn't too bad for 12months, but no fortunes yet 8)

postagelabelsuk

norvic wrote:
PeterS wrote:Ian, have I made my fortune from the original cover I bought from you yet? Can I retire? Can I? :lol:
I think you could probably double your money, which isn't too bad for 12months, but no fortunes yet 8)
Certainly hang on to it as rumor has it the 2nd print run may have 'improvments' due to certain operational issues with the first..

:)
UK ATM Philately-

skilo54

Post by skilo54 »

norvic wrote: - images of international usage required, please!
As requested :)

This wrinkly one is the second one of these I have received in the last week or so. It must have been a bumpy ride because the stamps inside were a little shaken up as well, a few stamps out of their spots but thankfully no damage :D

Can I ask what the "A" stands for?

Thanks,

Skilo54

norvic

Post by norvic »

A is for Airmail/

Other codes

2L 1L 2nd class letter, 1st class letter
2LL 1LL 2nd & 1st class Large Letter
2PK 1PK 2nd & 1st class Packet
BL, BLL, BPK - letter, Large Letter, Packet to British Forces addresses
SD - Special Delivery
SP - Standard Parcel

FP - Fully Paid
MOR - Mail Order Return

SU - Surface
A - Airmail
AX - Airsure

There are probably others: Brian can probably tell us about the more obscure ones!

Tony H

Post by Tony H »

postagelabelsuk wrote:Yes the image shown is of a label prior to it being peeled from its backing sheet. The 'perforations' are die cut into the backing sheet and can just be seen at the top of the image (Which is a mock up using the original images produced at Camden) - The labels just about to be issued may differ in some way- I dont know Ive not seen one of those yet..

Brian :)
Hi Guys this came on some mail today and is imperf but no postmark

I have not tried to soak this one not sure if it will.

Tony H
https://www.worldstamps.co.nz

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

You CAN'T soak it! Have a closer look at the design and the anti removal die cuts throughout the stamp.

PS - No need for a second postmark the stamp is a printed one.
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

norvic

Post by norvic »

They can be removed from paper, but probably best left as it is. Soaking in water is probably not the way, the orange-oil method (UK - Bettaware Sticky-stuff remover) will probably work but it isn't really worth the effort.

Incidentally I notice a lot of people putting the white labels on eBay now but these seem to be current use, using the Horizon Online system. It also seems that a lot have not been through the post (as with a lot of the gold labels).

Nobody's offering the 2002 versions though.

Kloster

Post by Kloster »

Have lured a lovely lady to give me thiese from the items she recives from Egnland, wool and other funny goods. will see if I can get a scan of what I've seen sofar :)

Mainly I see pereforated ones, but a imperf or 2 has been seen aswell.

Kloster

5tamper
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by 5tamper »

Hi Norvic, can you update the codes used for Horizon stamps. A couple not listed above I'm interested in are

IT (Royal Mail.r) - my guess international parcel
1LG (Royal Mail.c)

Thanks
5tamper - I'll swap some aussie for machins. First Big Goal down the track - get 100,000 people collecting
Simplified Australia then ... No I didn't get any 2016 Adelaide CPS - only just got my first from 1994.

norvic

Post by norvic »

SP - Small Parcel, probably with 1 or 2 prefix for 1st & 2nd
MP - Medium Parcel

1LG - 1st class Large (inland)
2LG - 2nd Large (inland)

ITS - International Tracked and Signed
IT - International Tracked
and I presume IS = International Signed

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”