The best volcanoes on stamps

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

kturner
Green Star Less Than 10 Posts Member

The best volcanoes on stamps

Post by kturner »

My introduction to this website was viewing notes from those interested in volcanoes on stamps.

My long-time favorite is the set issued in 1867 to begin the postage stamps of El Salvador. Four stamps showing Volcan Izalco in eruption. They have been underpriced for years, due in part to a lack of interest in the country by many stamp collectors, but from the time I first ordered the set through a local dealer in Seattle, and this was about 1965, it took five years for them to find a set for me! It cost a couple of dollars more than the Scott values, but I wanted the stamps and was willing to pay for (to me) the service in actually getting the stamps without having to travel 3600 miles for them!

I notice that the new catalogue has upgraded the values of the set. Even the centenary set of two covering the 1883 eruption of Krakatau, west of Java, thank you, doesn't have the grab that this early acquisition had for me. However, it did lead me through the jungles of both Central and South America, looking for stamps with fiery or smoking peaks on them. It was a newspaper article with a photo taken in 1946 showing an eruption from the Bayonnaise Rocks in the Kazan Retto which first caught my eye. Then the year i was born, Paricutin came to life in Mexico.

It took me some 40 years to locate a copy of Tom Galt's wonderful book, "Volcano," published in 1948, telling the story of that volcanic birth and growth, which kept my feet moving closer to the volcanoes of the world, and which book still has the power to capture my imagination, that gave me the impetus to find whatever depictions of volcanoes I could.

This eventually entailed purchase, for a nickel each, issues of the National Geographic which contained articles on volcanoes or regions in which they were located: Africa, Asia, the Pacific Ocean, the Americas, the Mediterranean and north Atlantic regions, and so an obsession was born.

I followed the newspapers and periodicals closely, finding awesome respect for these mountains with the eruptions of Hibok-Hibok and Didicas in the Philippines in 1951-1952, Mount Lamington in New Guinea, also in 1951, Taal and Mayon, Krakatau, Galunggung, Hekla, Vulcan Island, Whakari (or White Island), the list and sources grew every year.

Then the incredible fountaining in Hawaii in 1959 by Kilauea Iki and a grwing awareness by more publications that volcanoes were not just awesome, but gave photo opportunities not previously available.

I saw a film about 1994 from Indonesia titled, "Mother Dao, the Turtle-Like," which contained film footage from 1912-1933. the film opens with footage covering the birth of Anak Krakatau in 1927, and was impressive, even without sound. Myojin-sho, also in 1952, with the marvelous photos in the National Geographic, was an eye-stopper.

Then, four years later, I was given my first stamp collecting kit, and have been actively pursuing the little pieces of paper from that time on. As a former book dealer once told me, "I've never been unhappy with the purchases I've made. It is only the ones I let go by that disappointed me."

This is true of stamps as with any other collectible. Reading about the famous Pink and White Terraces at Rotomahana was nothing compared to seeing them depicted on postage stamps from New Zealand before their destruction in the 1886 eruption from Mount Tarawera.

So there you have it. Stamps leading to other stamps, to books, and back again.

Cordially, kim

GlenStephens
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Re: The best volcanoes on stamps

Post by GlenStephens »

Welcome Kim

As you probably have already discovered, lots of volcanic activity on Stampboards- we even have our own resident professor, Iomoon who has made a lot of posts on volcanoes on stamps

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1330&p=543160#p543160
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

iomoon
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by iomoon »

Hi Kim,

nice to know of other volcano stamp collectors out there.

At the time I started collecting them, I only knew of two other volcanologists who collected them, Bill Rose at Michigan and Chuck Wood of all over the place.

Chuck was the one who introduced me to Bertha's catalog of volcano stamps which I have updated and hopefully improved.

I collect Volcanos on stamps

kturner

Post by kturner »

I used to know a Chuck (and Dorothy) Wood whose main interests were railroads to the Northwest. Don't know if this is the same fellow. We never discussed stamps, or volcanoes back then. This would be the 1970's and 1980's. kim

iomoon

Post by iomoon »

Different Chuck Wood, the stamp collecting one writes a monthly article for "Sky and Telescope" called the moon this month, or something like that.

Clino
I was online for post number ONE MILLION!
I was online for post number ONE MILLION!

Post by Clino »

Well, this will give me away a bit, but I took the very first igneous petrology class that Bill Rose taught at Michigan Tech (Iomoon will know what that means).

That was a while ago, so I'm also giving away (1) my age, and with a little guessing perhaps on Io's part, (2) the source of my Stampboards name.

Clino

iomoon

Post by iomoon »

kturner wrote:My introduction to this website was viewing notes from those interested in volcanoes on stamps.

My long-time favorite is the set issued in 1867 to begin the postage stamps of El Salvador. Four stamps showing Volcan Izalco in eruption.
Cordially, kim
Much better design and production than the latest Izalco offering.

Image link inactive. Removed

I'm guessing clinopyroxene.

Miha
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by Miha »

Volcano collector here also.

iomoon

Post by iomoon »

Another volcano image web site

Click here

figmente

Post by figmente »

I wanted to share noticing this Extraterrestrial volcano on stamp.

The asteroid B612 has (or had) 2 active volcanoes, which were very convenient for heating breakfast. It also had one which is extinct, but "One never knows!"

Sark
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by Sark »

My only volcanoe stamp.

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”