Can you recommend some South American stamp dealers?

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

baroldsan
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Can you recommend some South American stamp dealers?

Post by baroldsan »

Hi

I am going to be visiting South America for four months commencing January 2010 and I was wondering if anyone could advise of Stamp Dealers in Rio de Janeiro, Buenos Aires, Le Paz, Lima and Santiago. I would like the opportunity to expand my South American collection.

Many thanks
Baroldsan
Perth
Western Australia

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Can you recommend some South American stamp dealers?

Post by Global Administrator »

You will not find anything at all in La Paz IMHO.

There are plenty of stamp clubs in Lima .. I attended a large one once, but be careful - very dangerous city these days. Ditto Rio, and there are quite a few dealers there of course.

We were in Buenos Aires last month and there is a large Arcade full of dealers at Maipu St, and has been for many decades - I first visited it in 1984.

There is a well established Sunday outdoor stamp market in BA at Rivadavia Park.

Dealers in these places sell near nothing else except regional material though.

We have several members there in BA and caught up with one for lunch with one -
Good to see there is still at least one arcade on earth near full of stamp dealers. :)

Glen

MargoZ
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by MargoZ »

Baroldsan- this arcade was in Maipú one of major streets in the CBD running parallel with Florida- the main tourist drag in Buenos Aires.

What a great city!
Please click link below to "Like" stampboards on FACEBOOK -
https://www.facebook.com/stampboards/

baroldsan

Post by baroldsan »

Thanks guys, I shall be Buenos Aires for over a week and will make a beeline for the arcade. Sounds great
Baroldsan
Perth
Western Australia

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Not sure if you are into coins but there is an arcade nearby that is nearly entirely COIN dealers!

Happy Stamper
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by Happy Stamper »

Have a nice trip

Was in Buenos Aires years ago. Found an absolute fantastic bar in the 'main street'.

Local 'fantasy' drinks, fruit punch varieties mostly, with food appetizers. Never really got round to having early dinner (dinner time is 2300 hours). That was enjoyable. But stamps? You are safer on Ebay.

Jan

telescreamer
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Re: Can you recommend some South A

Post by telescreamer »

I recommend this virtual store.. It is in Sao Paulo, not Rio de Janeiro. But you can find good deals and have the guy send it to you by mail.

http://www.filatelia77.com.br" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The owner name is Julio, I just don't know if he speaks english - probably yes.

apstamps
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Stamp Dealers in Buenos Aires

Post by apstamps »

I plan on visiting Buenos Aires in June and would love to visit a few stamp dealers or markets there to see what is on offer for my interest areas Poland, Germany and Austria. Would appreciate any advice from those in the know on where I might find find good dealers.

mrboggler
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Re: Stamp Dealers in Buenos Aires

Post by mrboggler »

Just don,t buy from anyone wearing Dark Glasses,and offering to show you his collection of stamps."ALL UNPERFORATED" :oops:

appart from that,,, Have a nice trip.and post some pics on your return, :lol:
Nunawading Stamp Fair
Last Sunday of Every Month - Jaycees Hall Silver Grove - Nunawading.

Brummie
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by Brummie »

You might get some info from this thread

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14983

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

apstamps wrote:I plan on visiting Buenos Aires in June and would love to visit a few stamp dealers or markets there to see what is on offer for my interest areas Poland, Germany and Austria.

Would appreciate any advice from those in the know on where I might find find good dealers.
As I point out above there is an Arcade of them in MAIPU.

I came back from Buenos Aires this week.

Been there 10 times in 10 years. The Gov't there has made many $1,000s out of us in taxes on hotels, tours, internal flights, souveniers, meals etc.

A few months back they slapped on horrendous Entry fees at airport of $US132 a person for UA Passport holders, and $US100 for ozzies.

On top of the ~$US40 a person departure tax.

No more. We will simply transit the place in future as we did this week.

DO factor this cost to your budget if flying there. . for $US200 a couple or $1000+ a family it is a very nasty new surprise "welcome" to Argentina. Who after you arrive has about a 30% tax on everything you spend anyway.

The Sheraton Room I cancelled in protest, had about $US40 of taxes in the base rate - so the govt misses out when tourists do not come.

Canadians are $US85 a person IIRC.

This new tax is PER entry for ozzies so they wanted $US400 from us in a week and I gave them ZERO and stayed extra days in Ecuador.

Idiots. :twisted: :twisted:

Glen

apstamps

Post by apstamps »

Thank you for this information. The entry/exit fees put a bit of a damper on my planned visit. Wish the Travel Agent had told me of this rip-off.

zaguy
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by zaguy »

These fees are actually called 'reciprocity fees' and it's a bit unfair to call them a ripoff or to blame Argentina for imposing them. They are simply charging citizens of other countries, mostly Western countries, the exact same fees that Argentinians need to pay for visas to visit those countries.

Argentinians need to pay $105 (Aus) for a visa to Australia, that's why Australians now need to pay the same amount to go to Argentina. Brazil also does this to US passport holders. Seems perfectly fair to me, we citizens of the 'South' or 'developing world' or call it what you will have been discriminated against for too long.

For us to visit Australia, the US, Europe means a huge financial outlay for visas, costs the citizens of those same, mostly rich countries don't have to bear when they visit the 'developing world'.

Now Argentina (and before Brazil) have just levelled the playing field. 'You pay to visit us what you make us pay to visit you' is what they are saying. Good for them.

I don't have to pay anything to visit Argentina, because they don't have to pay anything to visit South Africa.

apstamps

Post by apstamps »

I guess only time will tell how tourists will react and whether or not the government of a country that desparately needs those tourists shoot themselves in the foot by having introduced these 'reciprocity fees'.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

zaguy wrote:These fees are actually called 'reciprocity fees' and it's a bit unfair to call them a ripoff or to blame Argentina for imposing them.

They are simply charging citizens of other countries, mostly Western countries, the exact same fees that Argentinians need to pay for visas to visit those countries.
The number factor of Americans visiting Argy would be 10 times the reverse I'd guess.

Same as from here.

They are idiots to turn away American and Canadian and ozzie visitors, who tend to spend heavily WITHIN the Country.

I've visited Argy 10 times in 10 years. And spent well over $10,000 when in there .. which the govt skims 20% tax from right off the top in GST and hotel and airline taxes. No longer.

What is the % of those who overstay/vanish WITHIN Argy. Near Zero I'd say.

Take a guess at the reverse .. THAT is why there is usually a high entry cost for those citizens if you think on it. :idea:

zaguy

Post by zaguy »

There is a lot of South-South travel going on that more than makes up for the Americans not going anymore.

Malaysian Airlines has a regular flight from KL all the way to Buenos Aires (with a stop in Cape Town), Emirates now goes to Brazil and will soon add Buenos Aires. South African Airlines goes to BA. Angolan Airlines goes to Brazil. South Africans, Chinese, Malaysians visit Argentina in droves and spend as much as the Americans or more.

I still think what's fair is fair, why should the residents of 'poor' countries who earn less than those of 'rich' countries have to pay hundreds of dollars for the 'privilege' of a visa, when the residents of those same countries can go where they please without any extra visa fees.

Here in the Gulf the same issue has come up recently, Qatar is set to introduce reciprocity fees very soon, others might follow.

These are rich countries with huge disposable incomes, yet their citizens still have to queue and beg for visas and pay hundreds of dollars (for EU, US, Australia). Brazil introduced the reciprocity fees many years ago and it's still valid, if so many Americans really stayed away they would have changed the rule, they didn't.

Others come and fill the beds and restaurants. Like me, I spent six weeks in New Zealand a few years ago (originally only planned to stay 3 weeks), because no visa needed for me, easy to stay longer (legally).

I tried to go to Australia and the visa was just a major headache, so I stayed longer in New Zealand and went to Samoa, and went back to New Zealand, and spent a lot of money. If people really want to see a place because of unique features (like Iguassu falls, the glaciers, the whales or Patagonia in Argentina) or the culture they will still go.

In South America Chile, Argentina, Brazil, Bolivia and Paraguay all charge Americans (and possibly Australians) about $100-$135 in reciprocity fees, so it's definitely becoming the norm.

zakur
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by zakur »

Back to the original subject, the arcade they mentioned is at Maipú 466, there is another at Corrientes 846, and a single shop at Viamonte 981. They are all close to downtown.

Rivadavia Park is in Rivadavia 4900, and as they said, philately is there on Sunday mornings only.
http://www.albumdeestampillas.com.ar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://albumdeestampillas.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mindpsyche

Post by mindpsyche »

Hello Everyone,

I am in Rio de Janeiro!!! (On work from the office for 2 weeks)

I was wondering if someone can slip me some Stamp shop addresses and ill try my best to make it down there.

Thanks very much,
Abbas

Nick777VVV

Post by Nick777VVV »

Does anybody know which major stamp catalogue South American dealers prefer?

I'm guessing Scott because of the proximity to North America but I've seen a few Brazilian dealers referencing Yvert for their material...

Then again, with the European influence, Michel may be be more popular?
http://www.classiclatinamerica.com
News, commentary and opinion on Central & South American philately

Cosmophilatelist

Post by Cosmophilatelist »

Hello,

Here in Brazil, both stamp dealers and collectors use the Yvert for worldwide stamps, the Michel for German Area stamps (widely collected here) and the RHM Catalog for Brazilian stamps.

Practically nobody uses Scott here.

Sheldon

Post by Sheldon »

With 40 years of international stamp dealing, I have found that Latin America dealers are very difficult to do business with.
It was explained to me as follows;
It is not a big business there, so most dealers want huge profit margins.
Go to any international stamp show and you will see very few (if any) dealers from Latin America.

A South American dealer was selling an item for $20.
I asked him if he wanted to buy some for $5.
His answer was no, that he had TWO in stock that would take a long time to sell.
There was no incentive to lower his price because he said they wouldn't sell any faster, so there was no sense in having more than two in stock.
(This was not an isolated experience)

They will use the highest catalog they can find to justify selling prices.
Try selling to them and they will probably use SCOTT (if they use any catalog at all) They are entitled to do whatever they want. Perhaps there are exceptions.

In general, I think that worldwide stamps sold based on SCOTT are cheaper than most other catalogs in the world. Yvert, Michel, Gibbons etc are often much higher. Different dealers offer different discounts all around the world.

APS in USA has an online stamp store with over 300,000 listings from almost every country in the world that has ever issued stamps. Anybody can purchase there.
You can search by sets or singles. Mint or Used.
http://stamps.org/stampstore
New items are added almost every day. and prices get changed.

Most items are scanned. Note that most items are listed by SCOTT catalog only and you may find varieties at normal prices. All countries are listed in SCOTT catalog order, so airmail issues come after regular postage etc. Anything unusual, including cinderellas, revenues, postcards or covers will be listed at the end of each country.

Bombay Philatelic in USA sells new & recent issues of the entire world AND
may have some older issues in stock: https://www.bombaystamps.com/show_cty.asp

It's very likely that you can buy South American stamps (including new issues) for less in USA than in South America. Happy hunting.
email - NHsets[at]aol.com - Dealing in Stamps of the World - All countries & All topics for 40 years. Discount Postage Broker. Your connection to the USA market. Member: APS 30+ years - NSDA member #2 (Co-founder) - IFSDA

Nick777VVV

Post by Nick777VVV »

Cosmophilatelist wrote:Hello,

Here in Brazil, both stamp dealers and collectors use the Yvert for worldwide stamps, the Michel for German Area stamps (widely collected here) and the RHM Catalog for Brazilian stamps.

Out of interest, do you know why that is?

It seems a strange choice to default to Yvert with no French connection to the continent. I would have thought that Latin America had far more English speakers than French speakers...?

Sheldon

Post by Sheldon »

Nick777VVV wrote:
Cosmophilatelist wrote:Hello,

Out of interest, do you know why that is?
It seems a strange choice to default to Yvert with no French connection to the continent. I would have thought that Latin America had far more English speakers than French speakers...?
Possibly because it's ridiculously high and most locals don't understand French ?
even 50% of Yvert is quite high in many cases, but I would guess that they charge more than that ? COSMO: can you clarify ?

I don't think it's easy to make a living selling stamps in Latin America,
as I don't think it is that large of a hobby considering the population.
They seem to want to have huge profit margins.
email - NHsets[at]aol.com - Dealing in Stamps of the World - All countries & All topics for 40 years. Discount Postage Broker. Your connection to the USA market. Member: APS 30+ years - NSDA member #2 (Co-founder) - IFSDA

Matenaser

Post by Matenaser »

Probably because French is easier to understand than English to most people in Latin America.
Moreover, many French technical terms are closer to Portuguese and Spanish than their English equivalents.

e.g.
Watermark (English) = Filigrane (French) = Filigrana (Spanish)
Revenue/Duty = Fiscal = Fiscal
Perforated = Dentelé = Dentado
Tweezers = Pince = Pinzas

etc......

Apart from this, I see no reason. Except for France and its former colonies, Yvert is IMHO far behind SG, Michel and Scott on many counts.

Cosmophilatelist

Hi,

I can not answer for Latin America as a whole, since Brazil is slightly different from the rest of the continent due to colonization, cultural heritage and Portuguese language.

During the colonial period and after independence, from Brazil Empire (1823-1889) until the period we call the Old Republic (1889-1930) Brazil was strongly influenced by European culture, mainly from France.

In this period the French language was the lingua franca of the imperial court and the Brazilian economic and cultural elites.

An example for you to understand the extent of French cultural influence in Brazil: the University of São Paulo, the main Brazilian university, was created in 1930 through a mission of French teachers and the classes were taught in French until the 1950s.

Nowadays, almost nobody speaks French in Brazil, but on the other hand, less than 10% of the population speaks English.

Despite this, it is much easier for a Brazilian, who does not know either of the two languages, to understand a text in French than in English, since both Portuguese and French are Latin languages ​​and share many words and a common structure.

As philately emerged and arrived in Brazil in a period of strong French cultural influence, nothing more natural than the adoption of the main French catalog by Brazilian collectors and stamp dealers.

That said, I do not see the prices of Brazilian stamp dealers much different from the prices charged on eBay, Delcampe or international auctions, with the exception of the classic Brazilian stamps, whose market is naturally stronger here.

The practice here is to charge 30% of the catalog price for mint stamps, in perfect condition.

The Brazilian philatelic market is very small, with around 25 thousand collectors and 40 established stamp dealers.

You can find the Brazilian stamp dealers on the website of the Brazilian Stamp Dealers Association.

http://www.abcf.net.br

Nick777VVV

Post by Nick777VVV »

Very interesting. Thank you for the history lesson - I never realised the extent of French influence on Brasil but based on what you say, I can see how Yvert would have become the natural catalogue of choice.

Do you know if Yvert is also the preferred choice across most of South America or whether it is unique to Brazil?

Cosmophilatelist

From South America I know only Argentine and Brazilian stamp dealers.

And, as far as I know, in Argentina they also use the Yvert catalog for worldwide stamps.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

I've visited every country in South America (there are a lot more of them than many imagine!) and most several times. I always go peeking into what stamp shops there are. :mrgreen:

For starters, and very few realise this, there are FIVE different official primary languages among South America countries. You will be the only one at a trivia night to realise that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Many regard the continent as generically 'Latin America'. Is is not. :mrgreen:

In Guyana they all speak with a thick West Indian drawl, so heavy you can cut it with a machete - you imagine you are in Jamaica. :mrgreen:

Spanish (most), Portugal (a decent slab due to Brazil), French (French Guiana), English (Guyana), and Dutch (Suriname). In many places, like the Altiplano of Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia etc, the locals primarily speak none of the above.

So that alone dictates what catalogues are mostly used. In French Guiana clearly Yvert is King for stamps. In Guyana it is Gibbons. In Suriname they near only collect Netherlands, and the NVPH is used of course.

I've visited Argentina about 10-15 times over 35 years, and my observation is Scott is the most widely used when visiting shops, and meeting with dealers and collectors.

We met up with a stampboarder in Ecuador who collects Machin heads seriously and he used Gibbons of course. I was invited to a meeting of a stamp club in Lima Peru where they also used near all Scott for trades and discussion.

Glen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

Global Administrator wrote:Spanish (most), Portugal (a decent slab due to Brazil), French (French Guiana), English (Guyana), and Dutch (Suriname). In many places, like the Altiplano of Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia etc, the locals primarily speak none of the above.
If you extend that from South America to include Central America, Belize could be added to the (short) list of English-speaking countries.

It's amazing how many people assume Brazil speaks Spanish...and have never heard of the Guianas. The worst though is the (too many) people who think Africa is a country. :roll: :roll:
I've visited Argentina about 10-15 times over 35 years, and my observation is Scott is the most widely used when visiting shops, and meeting with dealers and collectors.

We met up with a stampboarder in Ecuador who collects Machin heads seriously and he used Gibbons of course. I was invited to a meeting of a stamp club in Lima Peru where they also used near all Scott for trades and discussion.
Given that some countries in Latin America have their currency tied to the USD, or have adopted the USD outright, it would make sense to use Scott (and geographically it could be easier to have the catalogues delivered).
Collecting Mongolia; Thailand; Indo-China; Mourning Covers; OHMS.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

aethelwulf wrote:
Given that some countries in Latin America have their currency tied to the USD, or have adopted the USD outright, it would make sense to use Scott (and geographically it could be easier to have the catalogues delivered).
Panama has for years used USD I think, and last time I was in Ecuador they used only US coinage! Saw more $1 coins there than I have even seen in the USA! Pretty weird even though their currency was the Sucre.

Under the 10 year rule of Menem, Argentina had the Peso pegged to the USD 1=1.

Both currencies were totally interchangeable for a decade.

Your rent or car payments or house payments or wages were nominated in either Dollars or Pesos .. depending which one the boss/landlord etc preferred.

Then the Peso crashed (nothing new for Argentina!) about 10-5 years back to 4 Pesos = $1.

I was there the week afterwards. I'd pre-booked the Sheraton BA for about 100 Pesos a night. ($US25) All my tourist arrangement were in Pesos thank goodness. A large bottle of Qilmes beer was about 50c in a restaurant etc, and a steak $1.

Great for me, but the poor sods that had their rent fixed in $US or wages .. YIKES.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

SB member ausfoo has travelled in South America several times in the past year or so, so could probably say something about the use of USD there...I've seen stamps from a few places denominated in USD...Ecuador is one (they have a $25 USD M/S for Lonesome George); I seem to remember having some El Salvador stamps with USD face values as well.

I had a Geography professor about 15 years ago who was originally from the Azores, and did research on Brazil...he regaled us one day with a short history of Brazil's currency woes, constantly demonitising and issuing a new currency, alternating between two different currency names (cruzeiro and real?)...adding the word 'new' to the name...at least they never went so far as to have to say "new new cruzeiro". :lol:

Argentina really became a basketcase in the early 2000s with their currency crash. People who had been middle-class, eating out every week, were reduced to collecting recycling to earn money (white A4 office paper was a favoured commodity for collecting as scrap, as it had a better weight/volume-value ratio than cardboard).

Cosmophilatelist

Aethelwulf,

Brazil's recent economic history is a huge mess.

I'm 42 years old and I've used six different currencies. :shock:

All this because of a long period of hyperinflation (1973-1994), very similar to what happened in Weimar Germany in the 1930s.

An incredible hyperinflation of 36,850,000% in the 1980s. :shock:

I remember that in my childhood, when someone got their monthly salary, they would run to the nearest grocery store to spend all the monthly salary before it lost all value.

Every store had a full-time employee with the sole function of remarking the prices of the goods.

No one had any notion of commodity prices and the credit did not exist.

Starting in 1994, with the introduction of the new currency, the Real, prices stabilized and inflation fell to between 10% and 4% per year.

But the economy's interest rates remain very high.

For you to have an idea, the interest rate of the credit card in Brazil is above 400% per year.

These are unimaginable economic conditions for any citizen of Australia, UK, USA or Canada.

The cost-opportunity of investing in a business in Brazil is very high.

If you can put money in the bank and get interest of up to 25%, per year, with low risk, why would someone want to start a new business?

Therefore, Sheldon's assertion that all Brazilian stamp dealers are greedy and attempt to deceive collectors by using a catalog in a language they do not understand should be weighed against this cultural and economic context very different from the American reality.

In fact, due to the recent economic crisis and devaluation of the Brazilian currency, I believe that collectors and dealers can find good bargains in the Brazilian philatelic market. :wink:

The only difficulty could be the language barrier, since I believe that most Brazilian stamp dealers speak only Portuguese.

Sheldon

Post by Sheldon »

Cosmophilatelist wrote: For you to have an idea, the interest rate of the credit card in Brazil is above 400% per year.

Therefore, Sheldon's assertion that all Brazilian stamp dealers are greedy and attempt to deceive collectors by using a catalog in a language they do not understand should be weighed against this cultural and economic context very different from the American reality.
I have re-read my previous post 5 times and do not see where I used the word 'greedy' OR 'deceive'
It is unfair to make assumptions and twist people's words. :(
Perhaps you could ask if I was trying to say that dealers there are greedy or trying to deceive collectors and wait for a reply :wink:

They are simply doing what they choose to do. They know/decide their business model and are just trying to survive; that does not make them greedy nor deceitful. :!:

My understanding is that it is a very thin stamp market in most of Latin America. I've never heard of a stamp shop in the region that has hundreds of collectors a week willing to spend vast amounts of money buying stamps with an active wealthy customer base. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Latin America had been described as having rich and poor with a small middle class, but the middle class seems to be growing.

As with any business on the planet, a merchant/dealer is under no obligation to buy something from a vendor at any price.
The fact that a stamp dealer who wants to sell something for $20 would not want to buy more for $5 was a shock to me 40 years ago, but I quickly recovered.

Many dealers around the world buy based on the lowest catalog they can find and sell based on the highest catalog they can find.
It's a statement. It's not illegal and it's not a sin.
It's up to a customer to decide what they are willing to pay for any product from any merchant, regardless of what the seller paid for it.

I was stating my understanding of a very thin stamp market, which takes in to consideration "this cultural and economic context very different from the American reality"
When it is difficult to sell any product, lowering the price will not necessarily result in higher sales, so they just wait/hope for the right customer. I get it.

I've always thought that survival, food & shelter were a priority to buying stamps
(although I have had a few customers over the years who did not agree)
so putting food on the table to feed a family is important and many people just do not have extra funds to support a hobby.

The region seems to be doing better than 20-30 years ago and perhaps there is a bright future for stamp collecting in the region (?)
Similar to real estate, every market is different, but it's easier to transport stamps than a house. :lol:

FACT:
According to UNDP, 595 million people live across Latin America and the Caribbean. UNDP stated poverty in the region was cut by nearly half during the last decade. The group at risk of falling into poverty represents 38 percent of the entire region's population, 200 million people, who earn between $4 and $10 per day.
It's hard to have a hobby when you only make $10 a day (or less)

PS: Cosmo, credit card interest rates are 400% at the present time ?

Matenaser

Post by Matenaser »

Cosmophilatelist wrote: If you can put money in the bank and get interest of up to 25%, per year, with low risk, why would someone want to start a new business?
:!: :!: :!: My bank currently gives me a miserable maximum of 0,12% per year, maybe I should consider investing in the economy of Brazil :lol:

So it seems that Latin American dealers tend to prefer either Yvert or Scott :?:

Cosmophilatelist

Sheldon,

Please excuse me if I misunderstand your statements and for not interpreting them correctly.

This is a risk I run when discussing subjects in a language that is not my first language.

Please accept my sincere apologies
:oops:

I believe the vast majority of stamp dealers are honest people, trying to make a living and make a fair profit, according to the risk of the business.

I think in a market as small as the philatelic market, it must be difficult to survive in the long run if you do not have a strong business ethic.

I'm sure you, Glen, and all the other stamp dealers of Stampboards are people with the highest degree of ethical commitment, otherwise you would not stay in business.

Latin America in general, and Brazil in particular, is a region of extreme contrasts.
As one former Brazilian president said, "Brazil is not a poor country, it is an unjust country."

Despite the success of the fight against poverty in recent decades (according to the UN, Brazil was the country that took more people out of the poverty line in the last decade), we are still a very unequal society. :cry:

Some Brazilian scholars call Brazil "Belindia" because we have small regions as rich as Belgium, which are surrounded by regions as poor as some regions of India. :lol:

I presume that stamp collectors and stamp dealers live in the Belgian portion of Brazil. :wink:

And yes, right now, annual interest rates on Brazilian credit cards start at 400% per year.

By the way, I have a question for you.

Why are there two national associations of stamp dealers in USA (ASDA and NSDA)? :?:

Has this always made me curious.

As a co-founder of NSDA could you make a history of the reasons?
Last edited by Cosmophilatelist on 26 Nov 2016 05:48, edited 1 time in total.

Cosmophilatelist

Matenaser,

Brazilian stamp dealers use the YVERT when they negotiate worldwide stamps.

The few Argentine stamp dealers I know, those who eventually participate in Brazilian stamp shows, also use YVERT.

But according to Glen, the Argentine stamp dealers with stores in Buenos Ayres use SCOTT, which makes a lot of sense in a dollarized economy like Argentina.

As for the rest of the Latin American stamp dealers, it would be better to get information from natives from each country or from people who travel and negotiate frequently there, because, as Glen said, Latin America is a huge and very diverse region.

Sheldon

Post by Sheldon »

Cosmophilatelist wrote:Sheldon,
Why are there two national associations of stamp dealers in USA (ASDA and NSDA)? :?:
Has this always made me curious.
As a co-founder of NSDA could you make a history of the reasons?[/color]
No apology needed, I'm not upset and I accept that there will always be differences in discussions on internet boards. Participants can agree to disagree when necessary and remain friends (and friendly!)
Your English is far better than my Portuguese! Your English is very welcome here~

Without hijacking this thread, there is a very long answer to your question, some of which is confidential but the quick answer to your question is that the ASDA based in New York charges $300 a year for membership and was perceived by many to be a USA east coast stamp dealer organization. Founded in 1914, they were well respected for many, many years, however things change.

Ed Rosen (House of Zion) was the largest stamp show promoter on the USA west coast for about 30 years and we decided that an alternative national/international dealer organization was needed with more reasonable dues. Also, we were about 4000km/2500 miles away from New York.

About 20 years ago we proudly co-founded the National Stamp Dealers Association (NSDA) with annual dues of $75. Ed (#1) was the first president and I (#2) was the 2nd president, holding the position for about 5 years. The NSDA dues includes membership in IFSDA (International Federation of Stamp Dealer Asssociations) http://www.ifsda.org
an exclusive benefit to NSDA members.

NSDA is now one of the largest dealer organizations in IFSDA.

NSDA membership is open to dealers anywhere in the world,
part time OR full time. US $75 per year anywhere, with incentives to recruit new members and have free annual dues.
I can offer a referral application to anyone interested in joining. :mrgreen: That is the short answer :lol:
Feel free to contact me publicly or privately with any additional questions. :D

If moderator wishes to move this to a separate thread, I will understand!
Has nothing to do with South American stamp dealer locations.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Matenaser wrote:
:!: :!: :!: My bank currently gives me a miserable maximum of 0,12% per year, maybe I should consider investing in the economy of Brazil :lol:
We all must learn from history. :idea:

The first time I visited Argentina in early 80s, a letter cost 50,000 Pesos -
Not long before it was a handful of Pesos and not long after, the same. Indeed for 10 years in recent times 1 USD = 1 Peso - see above.

So spending on WHEN you invested your Euros, you could lose the lot!

High interest rates is code for MASSIVE risk. :idea: :idea: :idea:

I recall visiting Bolivia also 30 years back, when FIVE MILLION Pesos paid for a Hamburger. Today, the rate is about SEVEN to 1.
Brazil, Argentina, Bolivia etc in the past would simply lop off 3 or 4 or 5 zeros to get to a "New Peso" or "New Reale" or whatever when things got too crazy, or invent a totally new name for the currency. Made no real difference to the cost of anything, but was simpler for tourists! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Matenaser

Post by Matenaser »

Thanks Glen and Cosmophilatelist for your informative replies :D

In particular I had never heard about that "Belíndia" concept :idea:

Cheers,
M

ausfoo

Post by ausfoo »

Ahhh.. What a nice read through the thread.

Most of the sentiments about Latin American dealers are true, ESPECIALLY the one from Sheldon. Hyper-inflated prices, no incentive to sell, mostly super retired persons trying to make $20 from selling a cover to the collector who really wants it (which probably could be found in an American dollar bin).

They do not have much material, and don't buy more than 10 sets of new issues (with their stupidly high face values) and WILL ask you for an arm and a leg if one of those new issues are sold out at the philatelic bureau.

A lot of philatelic dealings are private dealing in Latin America, good information can be obtained if you acquaint yourself with people within the philatelic federations/clubs.

There is a stamp "market" in Lima every Sunday on the GPO corridor. Mostly of "dealers" that have one stock book with some stuff in it and a stack of covers.

I did manage to find a stamp "shop" in Quito. This guy actually invests a lot on new issues and did have decent prices if you know your material well. His shop is actually a bookshop called the "Libreria Nacional"

The Federation in Ecuador has an actual Clubhouse, and you can buy stuff from the members if you visit their meetings (drop an email before attending - Meetings every Saturday). Do not expect cheap prices for good material. Auction every month.

In La Paz (Bolivia), there is a stamp "shop" hidden behind some offices, almost nothing to sell. His Bolivian covers are worth a look if you are looking for an elusive modern Bolivian cover. I could not believe I did not snap a photo at all, but if you really need details of the Bolivian dealer, I can lead you to the right person.
Countries: Malaysia, Trucial States Thematics: "Postal Services", "Postmen", "Post Boxes", etc. (anything related)Interested in all Stamp Catalogues (Especially thematic, one-country, and specialized catalogs)

ausfoo

Post by ausfoo »

Oh, since this thread pertains to "South American" dealers, now, can anyone recommend me any philatelic related dealings in Guyana-Suriname-French Guiana, since I'm making the trip the after Xmas :lol:

Well appreciated, and seriously giving a thought on Suriname postal history as it seems that no one collects it at all.
Countries: Malaysia, Trucial States Thematics: "Postal Services", "Postmen", "Post Boxes", etc. (anything related)Interested in all Stamp Catalogues (Especially thematic, one-country, and specialized catalogs)

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

ausfoo wrote:Oh, since this thread pertains to "South American" dealers, now, can anyone recommend me any philatelic related dealings in Guyana-Suriname-French Guiana, since I'm making the trip the after Xmas :lol:

Well appreciated, and seriously giving a thought on Suriname postal history as it seems that no one collects it at all.
The possibility of dealers for Surinamese material seems negated by your comment "no one collects it at all". :? I'd be surprised if there were dealers in that area...Guyana isn't exactly a place of booming wealth; Suriname only has 540,000 people; French Guiana 250,000...and Guyana 800,000.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

ausfoo wrote:Oh, since this thread pertains to "South American" dealers, now, can anyone recommend me any philatelic related dealings in Guyana-Suriname-French Guiana, since I'm making the trip the after Xmas :lol:
Three interesting places, few have visited.

Suriname is Dutch speaking, and still has a VERY Dutch look with Architecture. We flew there on a KLM 747 from Amsterdam which is full EVERY day. Hard to believe a 747 can be filled to such an obscure place. Lands out on tarmac and everyone needs to walk to Terminal, as it is tiny. On the flight back to AMS the entire Dutch drug squad and sniffer dogs were waiting at gate - weird. Seems like on every flight, idiots carry back kilos of Cocaine etc. :roll: :roll:

Suriname is VERY run down since the Dutch pulled out the $$$ support. Main city Paramaribo is pretty desolate, and run down, and I sincerely doubt any stamp dealers exist. Finding a place to eat was a challenge enough! This place in the jungle below served us "chicken" washed down with Parbo Bier. Chicken my EYE. There were lots of wild and scrawny native birds running around wild in the bush, and that was what we ate I am sure. :twisted:
We paid some guys to smuggle us across to Fresh Guiana in a dugout canoe, as we had no French Guiana Visa. Indeed we had only a single entry visa for Suriname, but bribed the lone border guard in the jungle with a box of Australian chocolate "not to remember seeing us, now or when we come back". French Guiana is amazingly affluent compared to Suriname, as the French pour $$ gazillions of aid to there each year, as they launch rockets from Cayenne.

The weird thing was, this was in a tiny flea bitten border town in French Guiana - in the middle of the Amazonian jungle area. They probably see only 10 tourists a YEAR there. I doubt there is one stamp shop in the country - managed to send some postcards however from the town Papillon was imprisoned in, before being sent to nearby Devil's Island.

The only bar we found, the interestingly named CHEZ TITI served us a French beer, and a French wine for about 4 Euro ..... a QUARTER the price you'd pay in Paris! Not a word of English spoken there of course.
We went to Guyana a couple of years back from the remote north tip of Brazil.
I gave away HUNDREDS of these back in the day. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Used to carry them around in my wallet as a bit of conversation piece, and give them away for fun when needed as we travelled around.

A few year's back we crossed the remote land border on foot, between Boa Vista North Brazil, and Lethem Guyana, on Christmas Day. Three severe looking mustachioed Brazilian Border guards, each literally with a bandolier of bullets diagonally across their chests etc, needed to stamp our passports, in this gawd-forsaken mosquito infested Amazonian speck on the map. They looked like reject Extras from a Spaghetti Western! As we were absolutely the only folks there, it was 'party time', and they could have kept us there for hours to kill time.

They barely spoke a word of English between them, and my Portuguese is non existent, but I did my "here's a cool Xmas Gift for everyone" trick, with my best smile, and handed over 3 of those and they all were fascinated.

You walk a fine line in those hicksville places, between getting arrested in a musty cell for bribing an official, and ending up on "Banged Up Abroad" or getting to your destination 2 hours earlier than otherwise. :lol: :lol: :lol:

We luckily quickly got past the Brazil border post with this Bribe, and walked across a bridge to the tiny little Guyana checkpoint next, where a huge black guy was on duty, and his name tag was just 1 word - "PUGSLEY" in inch high letters. I kid you not.

Anyway he sees the ozzie passports, and says in a Clive Wood or Viv Richards thick Caribbean accent - "we is beatin you guuuys in da Creekit today - 4 weckets oop". Walking 50 yards across a bridge you went from no English, to folks sounding like the 'Cool Runnings' cast. Amazing to hear those accents everywhere, in the deep South American Amazon!

Be careful in Georgetown Guyana, as it is HEAVILY crime ridden and lawless, and again I'd doubt there is a single stamp shop in the country of Guyana.

Glen

MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

ausfoo wrote:Ahhh.. What a nice read through the thread.

I did manage to find a stamp "shop" in Quito. This guy actually invests a lot on new issues and did have decent prices if you know your material well. His shop is actually a bookshop called the "Libreria Nacional"

Well done Ausfoo....I'm sure that was no mean feat.
When we were in Quito a few years ago we caught up with Stampboards member, Novato.
He is a keen machin head collector and great to meet him and have a chat.

Good luck with the Guianas. Roads less travelled and all quite distinctive. They are possibly three of the least known countries in the world but I would assume that there would be a number of Dutch collecting Suriname postal stationery? The few tourists who venture there are pretty much all Dutch I gather from my visit and looking at travel sites.

ausfoo

Post by ausfoo »

Global Administrator wrote: Three interesting places, few have visited.

Suriname is Dutch speaking, and still has a VERY Dutch look with Architecture. We flew there on a KLM 747 from Amsterdam which is full EVERY day. Hard to believe a 747 can be filled to such an obscure place. Lands out on tarmac and everyone needs to walk to Terminal, as it is tiny. On the flight back to AMS the entire Dutch drug squad and sniffer dogs were waiting at gate - weird. Seems like on every flight, idiots carry back kilos of Cocaine etc. :roll: :roll:
Maybe you have not known, the president of Suriname is a convicted drug lord in the Netherlands, as well as his son. Surinam Airways runs daily flights to Amsterdam as well, probably well stashed with the president's dealings. :wink:

Desi Boutersse - very interesting individual, military coup leader that went on to be a full dictator, and then freely elected again by the population. Killed all his dissenters in Fort Zeelandia when he was a dictator, went on trial by the Surinamese courts but all halted when he was freely elected as president due to presidential immunity.

MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

This does not surprise me in the least.

zakur

Post by zakur »

Regarding international catalogs, here in Argentina the Yvert is the traditionally used. Even the local catalogs followed the Yvert numbering.
In the last decades however, Scott is gaining terrain, I asume that that is because of more dealings over the Internet, and because the digital versions of Scott are easier to carry. But Yvert is still strongly used.
Michel and Stanley Gibbons are restricted to German and Commonwealth areas.
http://www.albumdeestampillas.com.ar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://albumdeestampillas.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”