Share with others your Engraved Stamp Beauties

Whether we own them or not we all love LOOKING at philatelic Gems and goodies. Add your favourites today. Add your comments WHY this stamp or cover or item is superb or unusual. Or lift them from an auction site to share with other members, if that does not breach their copyright notice.

Moderators: Justin, snaws, Volunteer Moderator Team

Eli
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Share with others your Engraved Stamp Beauties

Post by Eli »

Thanks Jon, for Heinemann stamp :) :)
Eli wrote: 10 Nov 2021 01:14 When I see veteran SB members, like GE and Jon, excited about engraved stamps, I know I'm not the only one excited about them! As a child, I loved very much engraved stamps without knowing the word "engraved" and knowing nothing about printing and, actually, about philately. But I remember how I was fascinated from several stamps in my childhood album and when I grew I realized all of them were engraved.
Another set of stamps that I remember from my childhood is the set issued by Belgium on April 7, 1960 to publicize the World Refugee Year declared by the UN. The set contains three semi-postal stamps with additional values to raise donations for refugees. I remember how I loved the stamp shows the poor refugee child which touched my heart. Now, I added again this set to my collection only for the memories it brings up.

The stamps were designed by Jean van Noten and engraved by Jean de Bast:
Belgium 1960 Refugee Year 1.jpg
Belgium 1960 Refugee Year 2.jpg
Belgium 1960 Refugee Year 3.jpg
The designer Jean van Noten in his studio on maxicard issued by Belgium. The image of van Noten on the stamp is engraved:
Van Noten MC.jpg
Eli

Post by Eli »

I felt very sorry to hear that Adrian ended it's great blog about stamp engravers:

Stamp Engravers -
A database of stamp engravers all over the world and their work.

I personally, and I sure other SB members, use the information of this blog for my posts here in this thread and in other threads. Time to say thank you for the hard and excellent work!!!

* The blog will remain available online
antbrown
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by antbrown »

Eli wrote: 14 Nov 2021 05:36 I felt very sorry to hear that Adrian ended it's great blog about stamp engravers:

Stamp Engravers -
A database of stamp engravers all over the world and their work.

I personally, and I sure other SB members, use the information of this blog for my posts here in this thread and in other threads. Time to say thank you for the hard and excellent work!!!

* The blog will remain available online
Such a shame - I enjoyed reading his posts...
Eli

Post by Eli »

International Canine Exhibition, Madrid, Spain, issued by Spain on June 8, 1983:

Burgos Pointer, engraved by Antonio Manso Fernández:
Spain 1983 Dogs 1.jpg
Spanish Mastiff, engraved by Antonio Manso Fernández:
Spain 1983 Dogs 2.jpg
Iberian Hound, engraved by Pedro Sampedro Molero and Antonio Sánchez Gutiérrez:
Note that the red lines added by lithography around the dog mouth are shifted down
Spain 1983 Dogs 3.jpg
Pachon Navarro, engraved by Pedro Sampedro Molero and Antonio Sánchez Gutiérrez:
Spain 1983 Dogs 4.jpg
Spain 1983 Dogs com a.jpg
Eli

Post by Eli »

The Hungarian Revolution - 1848

The Hungarian Revolution of 1848 or the Hungarian Civic Revolution and War of Independence of 1848–1849 was one of many European Revolutions of 1848 and was closely linked to other revolutions of 1848 in the Habsburg areas. Although the revolution failed, it is one of the most significant events in Hungary's modern history, forming a cornerstone of modern Hungarian national identity.

The following set shows freedom fighters of 1848, issued by Hungary on March 15, 1952. All stamps were designed by Zoltán Nagy who also engraved three of the stamps (50f., 60f. and 1.5F.), the rest (20f., 30f. and 1F.) were engraved by Mihály Füle:

20f. Lajos Kossuth (1802-1894), a Hungarian nobleman, lawyer, journalist, politician, statesman and governor-president of the Kingdom of Hungary during the revolution of 1848–49.
Hungary 1952 Leaders 1.jpg
30f. Sándor Petőfi (1823-1849), a Hungarian poet and liberal revolutionary. He is considered Hungary's national poet, and was one of the key figures of the Hungarian Revolution of 1848.
Hungary 1952 Leaders 2.jpg
50f. József Bem (1794-1850), a Polish engineer and general, an Ottoman pasha and a national hero of Poland and Hungary, and a figure intertwined with other European patriotic movements. Bem fought outside Poland and Hungary's borders anywhere his leadership and military skills were needed.
Hungary 1952 Leaders 3.jpg
60f. Mihály Táncsics (1799-1884), a Hungarian writer, teacher, journalist and politician.
Hungary 1952 Leaders 4.jpg
1Ft. János Damjanich (1804-1849), an Austrian military officer of Serb origin who became general of the Hungarian Revolutionary Army in 1848. He is considered a national hero in Hungary.
Hungary 1952 Leaders 5.jpg
1.5Ft. Sándor Nagy (1804-1849), a honvéd (one of Royal Hungarian armed forces) general in the Hungarian Army. He was executed for his part in the Hungarian Revolution of 1848, and is considered one of the 13 Martyrs of Arad.
Hungary 1952 Leaders 6.jpg
Last two stamps show the battle of Szolnok (5 March 1849) and the battle of Isaszeg (6 April 1849), both were part of the Spring Campaign of the Hungarian Revolution of 1848 with Hungarian victory.
Hungary 1952 Leaders com a.jpg
Zoltán Nagy (1916-1987), the designer and engraver of the stamps:
Hungary 1993 Nagy.jpg
Clapas
PLATINUM Shooting Star *10,000* Posts!
PLATINUM Shooting Star  *10,000* Posts!

Post by Clapas »

A report (in French) on Albert Decaris the master engraver
Around a 1963 video archive devoted to Albert Decaris and the intaglio printing process, the curator of the À la pointe de l'Art exhibition pays tribute to the artist and to all those who, still today 'hui, carry out both the design and the engraving of “their” postage stamps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODmCHqiwy5o&ab_channel=Mus%C3%A9edeLaPoste
s-l1600.jpg
I Collect : FDCs around the world -
Eli

Post by Eli »

Are you ready for Christmas?

Hello, Christmas is coming and it is a wonderful opportunity to show our Christmas engraved stamps! I suggest to interested members that we put together our Christmas engraved stamps here in this thread, let’s say from mid-December to Christmas Eve. There are plenty of them (USA, for instance, issued several great stamps), and all we need is open our album, find them and share with others! Hope you join me, thanks!

Stanisław Moniuszko (1819 - 1872) was a Polish composer, conductor and teacher. He wrote many popular art songs and operas, and his music is filled with patriotic folk themes of the peoples of the former Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth (predominantly the Poles, Lithuanians and Belarusians), Hence he is generally referred to as "the father of Polish national opera". Since the 1990s Stanisław Moniuszko is being recognized in Belarus as an important figure of Belarusian culture.

A set of eight engraved stamps, designed by Jerzy Desselberger, shows Stanisław Moniuszko's works was issued by Poland on September 15, 1972. Here are the first four of them:

"On the Billet" (ballet), engraved by Barbara Kowalska:
Poland 1972 Moniuszko 1.jpg
"The Countess" (opera), engraved by Boguslaw Brandt:
Poland 1972 Moniuszko 2.jpg
"The Haunted Manor" (opera), engraved by Eugeniusz Tirdiszek:
Poland 1972 Moniuszko 3.jpg
"Halka" (opera), engraved by Eugeniusz Tirdiszek:
Poland 1972 Moniuszko 4.jpg
Tod.Moore
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by Tod.Moore »

The Tonga 1897 engraved set was printed in London by De La Rue, and it includes some wonderful early scenic designs. Very few pictorial stamps had been produced at the time this set came out. Five of the values in the pictorial set feature this design. The vignette is a portrait of King George II, and the duty plate is a pictorial frame featuring palm trees and other flora.

Tonga 1897 pictorial stamp. 5d. Black and orange George II, Type II, SG 46.
Tonga 1897 pictorial stamp. 5d. Black and orange George II, Type II, SG 46.

The good quality of the designs, and the fine engraving, make these stamps a pleasure to collect. Closer inspection of this 5d. reveals a little mystery. You can see a razor-thin line of black ink extending from the upper left edge of the vignette, all the way to the lower right edge of the stamp. What can this fine line be? Did a strand of cobweb get mixed up in the presses? Cheers, Tod. :)
Alchemy68

Post by Alchemy68 »

I was tidying up some Greek stamps today and had forgotten how beautifully engraved the top value of the 1930 Independence set is. The detail is astonishing!

IMG_7133.jpg
Tod.Moore

Post by Tod.Moore »

Seeing the Tonga 1897 engraved set was a reminder about another engraved set, this time from 1901. This is the British New Guinea set of Lakatoi stamps, named after the large vessel featured in the design. Here is an example, the 2½d Black and Ultramarine. Later versions were engraved with the name ‘PAPUA’ at the top.

British New Guinea 1901 definitive stamp, engraved Lakatoi design.
British New Guinea 1901 definitive stamp, engraved Lakatoi design.

The 1901 issue was printed in London by De La Rue, as was the 1897 Tonga set. This scan has a bit of lint just below the ‘I’ of BRITISH, which is unfortunate. But it also has a razor-thin line of black ink extending from the top of the vignette to the right value tablet. Did another strand of cobweb get mixed up in the presses? Cheers, Tod. :)
Stamp_fun

Post by Stamp_fun »

Dunhuang Murals (敦煌壁畫)have been a very popular stamp theme. The PRC issued a set of four stamps (Special Series (特)#3 – The Great Motherland – Dunhuang Murals Group 1) on 1 July 1952 depicting four Dunhuang Murals. Some descriptions printed on the stamps were now rectified when studies on Dunhuang Murals unveils more accurate information and details of these historic murals. Designed by Sun Chuanzhe, engraved by Kong Shaohui and printed by Shanghai People’s Printing Factory.

Stamp #(10) 800 yuan (圓)shows a mural on hunting, the Wei(魏)Dynasty printed on the stamp should be Western Wei(西魏)Dynasty

PRC 1952 Great Motherland Dunhuang Murals 4-1
PRC 1952 Great Motherland Dunhuang Murals 4-1

Stamp #(11) 800 yuan (圓), shows a mural on people making offer, the Sui(隨) Dynasty printed on the stamp should be Northern Zhou(北周)Dynasty

PRC 1952 Great Motherland Dunhuang Murals 4-2
PRC 1952 Great Motherland Dunhuang Murals 4-2

Stamp #(12) 800 yuan (圓), shows a group of flying goddesses

PRC 1952 Great Motherland Dunhuang Murals 4-3
PRC 1952 Great Motherland Dunhuang Murals 4-3

Stamp #(13) 800 yuan (圓), shows a heavenly man riding a tiger, not a dragon (龍)as printed on the stamp.

PRC 1952 Great Motherland Dunhuang Murals 4-4
PRC 1952 Great Motherland Dunhuang Murals 4-4

PRC 1952 Great Motherland - Dunhuang Murals set of four
PRC 1952 Great Motherland - Dunhuang Murals set of four
RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Elegant designs! Thanks Stamp_fun for showing them, with helpful commentary.

/RogerE :D
Yehuda15
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!

Post by Yehuda15 »

A personal favourite engraved stamp beauty - ROYAL WEDDING OF PRINCE RAINIER III & PRINCESS GRACE KELLY OF MONACO. Date of issue:19 April 1956. Perforation: 13. Designed by Detaille from a photo by Jules Piel. Gravure printed by B. Minne. (The Airmail denominations inscribed with the words ‘Poste Aerienne’). A work of art in miniature.
Attachments
Monacoa.jpg
RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Here are those Monaco Royal Wedding commemoratives on first day covers (currently on eBay):

Monaco, 1956: &quot;informal&quot; first day cover,<br />multiply franked with low values of the Royal Wedding commemoratives
Monaco, 1956: "informal" first day cover,
multiply franked with low values of the Royal Wedding commemoratives
Monaco, 1956: Royal Wedding set on three first day covers with cachets
Monaco, 1956: Royal Wedding set on three first day covers with cachets

Footnote: Using the "Place inline" button allows control of placement, and captioning.
BrewDog
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by BrewDog »

Well, these birds have been posted here before but still like the design and finally I got them too!
Only Swedish stamps are missing.
Birds of the Baltic, Lithuania, issued in 1992
Birds of the Baltic, Lithuania, issued in 1992
Birds of the Baltic, Latvia, issued in 1992
Birds of the Baltic, Latvia, issued in 1992
Birds of the Baltic, Estonia, issued in 1992
Birds of the Baltic, Estonia, issued in 1992
Where have you been? Nowhere.
That's a long time to be nowhere... Well, that's where I was...
BrewDog

Post by BrewDog »

Sweden has got a big number of engraved stamps, though these have already been posted before but let's take a quick look at these beauties one more.
Sweden, Snow-white Animals, issued in 2009
Sweden, Snow-white Animals, issued in 2009
Where have you been? Nowhere.
That's a long time to be nowhere... Well, that's where I was...
RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Lovely Swedish stamps, thanks for showing them, BrewDog.

The Snow HareLepus timidus is my favorite, for the artistic design and the rendering of the snow.
I also like the posture of the Ermine/StoatMustela erminea, but the cross-hatching in the background is a bit distracting.

Stamp_fun

Post by Stamp_fun »

Thank you, Roger! for your kind words and encouragement!

Here is "The Great Wall from east to west"

A great project in ancient China, the Great Wall has witnessed a long history of over two thousand years. Since the fourth century BC, the Yan, Zhao, Qin and other vassal states began to build the Great wall in the northern farming and animal husbandry areas. In later times, the dynasties in the Central Plains such as Qin, Han, Sui , Ming and other political powers of minority nationalities also built the Great Wall. In 1987, The Great Wall was totally included in the World Heritage List.

PRC issued a set of nine stamps on August 20, 2016, for "The Great Wall" displaying its natural and cultural landscapes during the Ming Dynasty. The nine pictures begin at Hushan, Liaoning Province in the east to Jiayu Pass in Ganshu Province in the west, covering nine provinces and cities.

Stamp (9-1) : 关山沧海 (Pinyin: Guānshān Cānghǎi; literal meaning: Great Wall at mountain and sea) Here is the first Pass of the Great Wall, Shan Hai Pass 山海關 in Liaoning Province。 It is where the Great Wall begins, ie. The east end of the Great Wall, you see the Great Wall “touches” the sea :)

PRC 2016-22 Great Wall 9-1
PRC 2016-22 Great Wall 9-1

Stamp (9-2) : 蓟辽天堑 (pinyin: Jìliǎo Tiānqiàn; literal meaning: natural barrier to Ji and Lao areas) Great Wall in Hebei Province

PRC 2016-22 Great Wall 9-2
PRC 2016-22 Great Wall 9-2

Stamp (9-3) : 燕赵雄风 (pinyin: Yānzhào Xiŏngfēng; literal meaning: Greatness of the Yan and Zhao Dynasties) Great Wall in Tianjin

PRC 2016-22 Great Wall 9-3
PRC 2016-22 Great Wall 9-3

Stamp (9-4) : 京畿屏障 (pinyin: Jīngjī píng zhàng; literal meaning: Barrier for the Capital ) Great Wall in Beijing

PRC 2016-22 Great Wall 9-4
PRC 2016-22 Great Wall 9-4

Stamp (9-5) : 三晋重关 (pinyin: Sānjìn zhóng guān; literal meaning: Passes in Shanxi) Great Wall in Shanxi

PRC 2016-22 Great Wall 9-5
PRC 2016-22 Great Wall 9-5

Stamp ((9-6) : 长河飞龙 (pinyin: chánghé fēiléng; literal meaning : Great Wall and Chang Jiang) Great Wall in Inner Mongolia

PRC 2016-22 Great Wall 9-6
PRC 2016-22 Great Wall 9-6

Stamp (9-7) :高原北望 (pinyin: Gōuyuán bĕi wàng; literal meaning: Looking to the North Plateau) Great Wall in Shaanxi

PRC 2016-22 Great Wall 9-7
PRC 2016-22 Great Wall 9-7

Stamp (9-8 ) : 大漠关城 (pinyin: Dámó Guānchéng; literal meaning: Pass in the Great Desert ) Great Wall in Ningxia

PRC 2016-22 Great Wall 9-8
PRC 2016-22 Great Wall 9-8

Stamp (9-9) : 丝路古道 (pinyin: sī lù gŭ dào ; literal meaning: Ancient Silk Road ) Here is the west end of the Great Wall located in Gansu Province, the last fortress of the Great Wall in China, the Jiayu Pass.

PRC 2016-22 Great Wall 9-9
PRC 2016-22 Great Wall 9-9

Stamp Sheetlet

PRC 2016-22 Great Wall ss
PRC 2016-22 Great Wall ss
Stamp_fun

Post by Stamp_fun »

Happy Valentine's Day to Eli, Roger and friends in SB!! Valentine's Day is not only for lovers... but also for those family and friends who care for each other through out the year! :)

Here is a stamp issued by PRC on 9 Aug 2016 themed Leiothrix. It is issued on the seventh day of lunar July which is the Chinese "Valentine's Day" :) Leiothrix lutea often go with each other all the time as lovers and thus regarded as a symbol of love.

PRC 2016-21 Leiothrix 1-1
PRC 2016-21 Leiothrix 1-1
RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Thank you Stamp_fun for your warm wishes, and the lovely stamps you have shown us in your latest two posts. Thank you for continuing to include the appropriate Chinese characters and pinyin transliterations, together with their equivalents in English.

My wife and I were delighted to walk on the Great Wall a few years ago. We were so pleased to experience up close its presence, its solidity, its steepness, and its vastness. A lasting memory of our visit with friends.

长城 Chángchéng — Great Wall
长城 Chángchéng — Great Wall
萬里長城 [traditional characters]
万里长城 [simplified characters]
Wànlǐ Chángchéng [pinyin transliteration]
Great Wall
Note: The poetic epithet 萬里 = 万里 Wànlǐ
can be translated "ten thousand miles"
Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 10.43.55 am.png
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Wall_of_China

The Leiothrix is a beautiful little bird from the hill forests. I found some online information to share:

Red-billed Leiothrix at Chester Zoo, UK
Red-billed Leiothrix at Chester Zoo, UK
Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 10.20.03 am.png
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-billed_leiothrix
Eli

Post by Eli »

Stamp_fun wrote: 15 Feb 2022 02:16 Happy Valentine's Day to Eli, Roger and friends in SB!! Valentine's Day is not only for lovers... but also for those family and friends who care for each other through out the year! :)
Thank you very much, Stamp_fun, for your greetings! and sorry for my late response. Wish you and other all the best. I don't have any engraved stamp to show for Valentine's Day but here is a nice Cupid:
Liechtenstein 2000 Rubens 2.jpg

Return to “Share with others here your NICE looking stamp and cover images etc.”