Music related Copyright royalty tax stamps - Revenue stamps?

We all have and handle these from time to time. "Back of book", Revenues, "Cinderellas", duty stamps and all kinds of other stamp like labels. Discuss them all HERE!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

adam78
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Music related Copyright royalty tax stamps - Revenue stamps?

Post by adam78 »

I say Yes in my book on the topic (see here), and at least Dingle Smith agreed in his review in the recent issue of The Asia Pacific Exhibitor.

Being issued to show the payment of a copyright royalty imposed by an Act of Parliament, which included the stipulation for the use of stamps means they came under the originating authority of a government, even if the proceeds explicitly were not for the Government's use. This makes them Revenues per FIP criteria.

Why is this important for Australia?

Well, while only 38 Australian companies issued the stamps out of the 220-odd issuers known so far (the rest being mainly GB and European countries), some of those local issuers were particularly prolific. The most commonly sighted on 78rpm records and pianola rolls locally are J. Albert & Son, Allan & Co, D. Davis & Co, Chappell & Co Sydney and Palings. Between just these 5, they account for 27 pages of catalogue listing - Alberts takes 10 pages alone!

This gives a large collecting scope i.e. there's lots out there. More importantly, as Revenues (and not Cinderellas) they deserve some more status and research, and should be now exhibited in the Revenue class.

Australians would have first seen them very shortly after they appeared in the UK in 1912, as records were already being pressed especially for export to the Antipodes at that time. Thus the early regional labels like Kalophone and Rexophone would have appeared bearing UK stamps.

With the 'dumping' of older US and Canadian stock from 1924 to about 1927, Alberts, Allans and the like acting as agents for big overseas copyright holders such as Francis Day & Hunter, or MCPS, began producing their own stamps to be affixed to the imported records on arrival.

The growth of the local industry in the late 1920s increased the range of local issuers dramatically, and from then until the 1940s, a large volume of 78s in Australasia bore at least one stamp. Same for piano rolls. Most had finished with stamps by 1950, and all by the mid-60s.

Now my question to you.

Given the sheer number and variety of these stamps knocking around since WW1, and after 1927 in particular, why can't I find any contemporary reference to them, even in passing. Screeds have been written over the years on much more obscure (as in harder to find in the wild) local revenue stamps, but not these?

The same goes for the UK - vast numbers of stamps under philatelists noses for decades - zip in the philatelic press.

I'd love to hear your theories, and of course I'll try to answer any question on this topic too.

Cheers

Adam.

Londonbus1
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Londonbus1 »

Can you show us an example ?
Not sure what they are even !!

LB1

admin
Site Administrator
Location: That's on a need to know basis - and YOU do not need to know!

Post by admin »

Roly posted some SUPERB photo examples of these Royalty stamps on this interesting thread about BHUTAN phonograph record stamps - which sell for over $US400 a SET!

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=1570

Glen

Londonbus1

Post by Londonbus1 »

Glen,

Yes, I had seen your reply to Adam elsewhere and was busy drooling over Roly's stamps as you were writing here.

Wonderful.

My, it will take me forever to check all these threads !!!

Better take a few days off !! There's so much to see.

Londonbus1.....Wonder if they'll miss me at work?

adam78

Post by adam78 »

LB1,

Check out the site pointed to by the first post. Especially the Music Publishers link (most Australian issuers fell into this class).

I illustrate just 1 example of 1 design for each issuer, but in the Gallery section there's all sorts of larger images (topo big for this BB) with full sets of issues from the likes of Alberts and Collins.

If you follow the link to the Book, the whole of chapter F is online, which gives a good idea of the scope.

Adam.

admin
Site Administrator

Post by admin »

Adam .. have you signed up for photobucket or similar - post some images!

adam78

Post by adam78 »

OK OK

Australian Composers' stamps.

Image John Ashe (b. 1907, d.????), Country & Western composer, Australian Country Music 'Hands of Fame' in 1978.
One type, all unvalued.

Image Bernard Coghlan (1892?-1964)
2 different designs known.

Image Alfred Jarvis. Little known about him.
Just this one stamp seen so far. Yes, that's his initials in ink.

Image Reginald Stoneham, again not much known.
One design, 4 different values known.

Image Jack O'Hagan's publishing company, he was a popular songwriter & broadcaster before & after WW2.
One design, one value known so far.

All the above known to me through 5 or less examples (that's not of any particular value, that's in total for the issuer!), so would love to see more. I know you're out there....

Adam.

adam78

Post by adam78 »

and an almost complete set of J. Albert & Son type 6a perf 11 sans-serif font, unsurfaced paper.

missing the 4 1/2d, 4 7/8d, 5d, 5 1/2d & 5 7/8d (copies not in good enough condition)

The very top values are commoner than the middling values (4d-6d) as they represented the pianola roll rate, while the very lowest values (under 3/4d) are also scarce.

I've seen Alberts items like these offered lately as New Zealand royalty stamps. Not so, the NZ-specific ones were almost always green with the signature in black. Maybe I'll make up a posting of those later.

Adam.

RolyRJ
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by RolyRJ »

Hi Adam,

What a facinating thread :)

I work for a very large Broadcaster here in NZ and we have a relatively very large library of vynal and a lot of LP's as well.

I have quite a few Royalty Stamps but I think they are the common varieties but, like you, I have been unable to find reference material on the Net anywhere other than your site !!

(Great site incidentaly)

You mentioned in your introductory posts that one of the stamps I have is new to you? Which one is it and I will send you a decent scan of it for your reference. (I may be even persuaded to part with it :) )

I can see this thread turning into a real resource center so please keep up the interesting posts.

Cheers

Roly

adam78

Allan & Co, Melbourne - Part 1 Background

Post by adam78 »

As noted further up, Allan & Co were one of the more prolific issuers, generating stamps between 1918 and the mid-1960s.

To give you guys (and any gals) a better idea of the scale and range of what's out there, I though I'd post a near complete run of the known Allan & Co issues as a representative sample.

The images in the following messages were scanned at 100dpi, 256 colour web palette, and saved down as jpg's at 80% to get their file sizes between 100-130KB.

There's 12 in the next post, so I hope you're not on 56K dialup.

Allan & Co, Melbourne

Allans had its origins in the music selling firm of Wilkie & Webster, formed in Melbourne in 1850. In 1862 George L. Allan joined and the name became Wilkie, Webster & Allan. By the time he was 21, he had become a partner and the name became Allan & Co. In 1936 the Sydney branch of the company joined with Nicholson & Co Ltd of Sydney, which lasted until the mid-1950's when Allans sold their shares. In the mid-1970's the form became part of Brash's Holdings, continuing as a separate operation. As Allans Music Group, the company continues today as one of Australia's largest music publishers and retailers.

They were (are?) the local agency for the huge European copyright concern BIEM, so stamps marked BIEM Allans are to be found (but I catalogued those under BIEM)

admin
Site Administrator

Post by admin »

We tossed out all Margaret's mother's 78's when she passed away recently.

Wish I had know there was a CATALOGUE of these things!

Glen

adam78

Allan & Co, Melbourne - Part 2 Images (56K warning)

Post by adam78 »

The first set was probably printed in the UK for export labels.
The first local series was green.

The top set was printed in the UK by Harrisons and stuck on export records. Similar designs (red OZ, green NZ) existed at the same time for Alberts, Collins and Davis.

The extensive deep dull blue set. There are 4 types of the 1 1/4d.

The third series was in red. As the N.Z. is obviously for New Zealand, we can assume the A means Australia.

There's that "A" again, only in manuscript. The last set of overprints look to have been done by typewriter, but probably by an Addressograph machine.

Back to blue again, but a brighter shade, and rouletted.

Earlier sets were extensively overprinted. There are two varieties of the 3/4d, differing in the font of the "3". I really like the inverts!

The last series, black values. A few pairs exist - but multiples of any copyright stamp are really rare.

Provisionally valued

Whew!

Adam

ozstamps
PLATINUM Shooting Star *10,000* Posts!
PLATINUM Shooting Star  *10,000* Posts!

Post by ozstamps »

Amazing Allan and Co had SO many different on their own!

Glen

Browny
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by Browny »

I never even knew these existed.

Thanks for posting them up and broadening everyones knowledge Adam78!! :)

People's own collections never cease to amaze me.

The time, the effort, the passion that goes into them is evident for all to see. 8) 8)

Cheers. Browny

adam78

Re: Music related Copyright royalty tax stamps - Revenue sta

Post by adam78 »

adam78 wrote:Now my question to you.

Given the sheer number and variety of these stamps knocking around since WW1, and after 1927 in particular, why can't I find any contemporary reference to them, even in passing. Screeds have been written over the years on much more obscure (as in harder to find in the wild) local revenue stamps, but not these?

The same goes for the UK - vast numbers of stamps under philatelists noses for decades - zip in the philatelic press.

I'd love to hear your theories, and of course I'll try to answer any question on this topic too.

Cheers

Adam.
I asked this question in my first post at the top of this thread - no answers or theories so far....c'mon team. How could a Melbourne company like Allans issue their wide variety of revenue stamps in front of several generations of local philatelists, and not have anyone notice :?

RolyRJ

Post by RolyRJ »

Question Adam,

Were these Royalty Stamps on the records that were sold to the general public in the record stores etc?

Were they not just on the records that were issued to the likes of the Public Broadcasters so that they knew how much Royalty was due?

That being the case, maybe only those (Philatalists) in Broadcasting would have known about them. Even then it would have been a bit naughty to remove them from the records ?

Just my suppositions and they could be way off the mark.

Cheers

Roly

adam78

Post by adam78 »

Roly

These were on the records (& piano rolls) sold to the general public, and especially in the 20s, 30s & 40s , on a pretty high % of them too.

The special stamps found on the broadcast discs were, I believe, for showing the payment of broadcast royalties, rather than mechanical royalties.

Adam.

alltorque
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by alltorque »

Just picked up some of these from Ebay.
Must admit that I have never seen these before.
Looks like another tangent I'm off on again!!!!
Seems like there is quite a few issues released back then?
BUT who has them all.....???

Ebay item 200181293434
Cheers,Ian...

adam78

Post by adam78 »

Who has them all????

Me I reckon, or at least 90% of those listed in the catalogue. And about 20 new items have shown up so far this year - it's always exciting to locate something not seen before.

Now, if I only had them all in MUH condition - that'd be something to see. :)

BTW, nice purchase Ian, the last Alberts one is quite obscure.

Adam.

alltorque

Post by alltorque »

Just had a look at your "book" Adam.
Some very interesting literature there!!!!!
Hows the sales going?
Still have any copies left.
If I could find more "stock" of these issues I could be interested in purchasing one......
Cheers...

ozstamps
PLATINUM Shooting Star *10,000* Posts!
PLATINUM Shooting Star  *10,000* Posts!

Post by ozstamps »

Folks as posted many times, for ebay lots PLEASE add entire hotlink to any lot

i.e.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200181293434

And PLEASE save the images in photobucket and post them so they are here for POSTERITY hopefully. 8)

In a few months both the lot and the photos will be gone from ebay making the posts above totally meaningless to anyone.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Tas Philatelist
Suspended Member

Re: Music related Copyright royalty tax stamps - Revenue stamps?

Post by Tas Philatelist »

I had a J Albert stamp still on the original record many years ago.

I guess that would qualify as "on cover" usage. Difficult to mount on an album page though.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Tas Philatelist wrote:I had a J Albert stamp still on the original record many years ago.

I guess that would qualify as "on cover" usage. Difficult to mount on an album page though.
You just need a large page. :lol:

laimonas123
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!

Post by laimonas123 »

Nice collections. Me either searching tax stamps. Mysleft have about 200 stamps. Later I will post some pics. :) And I have couple of stamps to selling.

David Smitham
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by David Smitham »

After almost 3 years I have only just come across this thread - sorry!

Earlier in the year I commented to Adam about the New Zealand record stamps being revenue stamps; as such I believe that they are worthy of receiving full listings in the next edition of the Kiwi Catalogue of New Zealand Revenue and Railway Stamps catalogue.
David Smitham
Royalpex 2021 NZ national stamp exhibition, 10-12 September 2021, Palmerston North, NZ.

adam78

Post by adam78 »

Yes, as David says, I think they should be listed in the NZ Revenues catalogue.

This is what they look like.

First, the scarce two issued in NZ by NZ companies under the NZ Copyright Act. Yup, they're real small and rather insignificant - easy to overlook.

They are exceptionally scarce, and believe me, there's been a lot of looking over the years.
Of the Beggs (1952), 2 examples are known, both in private hands.

Of the Eady (1928-30), 5 are known, 3 in private hands. 2 exist still on records held in the National Library collection of 78rpm records.
Both have been written up in past issues of the New Zealand Stamp Collector - Eady in 76/4 and 79/4, Beggs in 79/4.

There are another related group. These were ones from Australian publishers who had enough of their recordings being released (or pressed) in New Zealand to have special stamps printed just for use in New Zealand. That is, you won't find these anywhere else in the world.

ImageImage

ImageImage

The "key type" items from Collin, Davis, Allan & Albert (bi-colour) are all British, dating from 1925-27 and were affixed to records pressed in Britain bearing songs where the copyright agent for Australasia was one of those 4, and where the records was being shipped to NZ. You never see them in Britain though - only for affixing to export items to NZ.

UK Records destined for Australia had very similar design stamps but in red (or red & green reversed for Alberts) Note that the Davis, Allan & Collin NZ stamps all have a tiki in their corners!

Image Image

Allans and Alberts also had locally produced stamps printed in Australia for affixing to records pressed in Australia but being shipped for sale to NZ (and so covered under our Copyright Act). Davis overprinted a special series of blue stamps in red just for NZ (the blue stamps were never used in Australia). There are several different pence values known in the Davis & Alberts series. Again, you don't see these in Australia.

Alberts is by far the most common, followed by Allans, Davis then Collins.

I'd be keen to see what the Australians have managed to find over their side of the ditch in this area. :D

Adam.

benjclark
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by benjclark »

Just for discussion sake, spotted this French label on a record while searching for other things on flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/w77t/4904380893/

Out of respect for the copyright of the (blurry) image, I refer you by link only. The [partial] description:

"Magic Note' sung by Caruso from Goldmark's opera 'The Queen of Sheba' on a German 'dogless horn Gramophone Record' label complete with royalty / tax stamp."
Always seeking bookseller labels....Album of Book Trade Labels
Author Site: Benjamin L Clark.com PSCC #157

benjclark

Post by benjclark »

Searched on purpose, found another:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26767201@N08/2561112815/
Always seeking bookseller labels....Album of Book Trade Labels
Author Site: Benjamin L Clark.com PSCC #157

adam78

Post by adam78 »

Time to resurrect this old thread.

The just-out 5th edition of the Kiwi catalogue of NZ revenue & railways stamps lists NZ's copyright stamps for the first time. Congrats David - recall your email above from 2010!

These are either the two very rare stamps printed in NZ for two NZ publishers (Begg's & Eady's), or more commonly, the specific NZ stamps printed in England or Australia for Australian publishers whose copyrighted compositions were being sold on records destined for the NZ market.

The large Sydney company of J. Albert & Son were a prolific issuer of copyright stamps in general, and the largest list in the new catalogue is for their NZ issues.

These four pages from my collection show most of the newly catalogued items.

Adam.

alltorque

Post by alltorque »

A lovely collection you have there.......
Very nice!!!!
cheers,
Ian

adam78

Post by adam78 »

Just bought a collection of several 100 78s, amongst which were about 30 1914-18 Edison-Bell WINNER and VELVET-FACE records.

Edison-Bell has this peculiar mode of using the stamps, whereby all were punched to a much smaller circular shape, using several different sized punches.

Here are the stamps, once soaked off. All are British.

Top row: The Copyright Protection Society (Mechanical Rights) Ltd
2nd row: Francis, Day & Hunter
3rd row: Herman Darewski, Ascherberg, J.H. Larway
Bottom row: Boosey & Co.

Adam.

john6625

Post by john6625 »

Great thread Adam and really nice collection you have.

These are what I have accumulated over the last year or so. Some are in pretty bad condition but I don't normally throw anything out.

Cheers

Join in the fun at the May 2021 Cover Exchange: https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=95096 ..... OR ....
The May 2021 Postcard Exchange: https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=95097

adam78

Post by adam78 »

Nice lot there. I haven't seen the Allans 9 3/8d before.

The Alberts on the far right row 2, is that a 1 3/8 altered to 1 /4 3/8d, or was it originally 4 3/8d?

Adam.

john6625

Post by john6625 »

Hi Adam

Here are some close ups for you. Cheers

Join in the fun at the May 2021 Cover Exchange: https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=95096 ..... OR ....
The May 2021 Postcard Exchange: https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=95097

john6625

Post by john6625 »

I thought this one was interesting as well. Check out the B of Albert. Not sure if it would be constant or not. Also the ¾d overprint on the 1½d (or the other way around).

adam78

Post by adam78 »

This one's nice. The 4 3/8d uprated with the manuscript "1/" isn't in my catalogue, so that's two new items you've uncovered for me.

Adam

adam78

Post by adam78 »

I have now placed online all the 30-odd introductory pages from my book Stamps on Music.

They can be found, as PDFs extracted from the book, at
http://www.stampboards.com/images/78rpm/mechcopy/Book/book.html

Cheers

Adam

adam78

Post by adam78 »

An accumulation of 246 copyright stamps have just been sold on NZ's TradeMe, split into 7 lots.

The total reached was $522, with most selling to the same buyer. So on average, just over $2 per stamp.

As they are a good representation of the range that can be found off any large accumulation of 78rpm records in New Zealand or Australia, I thought it worth recording them here, with some observations.

The pictures are as they appeared in Trademe, and they're camera not scans, so glare can be a problem.

1. Large Lot of Copyright Royalty Stamps x 30
https://www.trademe.co.nz/antiques-collectables/stamps/new-ze ... 674877.htm

This lot was by far the cheapest, realising just $19.90. It is uniformly horrible for condition. It highlights the fact that locally the most common issuers, by far, are J Albert & Son, and Allan & Co. There are also a couple of GB issuers. There are no scarce stamps on this page.

2.Large Lot of Copyright Royalty Stamps x 36
https://www.trademe.co.nz/antiques-collectables/stamps/new-ze ... 803371.htm

A better looking lot, went for $49.90.
Most are still damaged in some way, although not as bad as the lot above.
Lots of Albert & Allan again, all common values but there will be the different fonts, papers, perfs and variations in text (J. Albert & Son, J. Albert & Son Ltd, J. Albert & Son Pty Ltd) to be found.

There are five from the GB firm of Francis, Day & Hunter, most seem in pretty good order. Common values though.

The most interesting stamp is the COLLIN 1/2d blue, first type in the lower left. This dates from around 1925, but it is quite damaged.

More next post.

adam78

Post by adam78 »

3. Large Lot of Copyright Royalty Stamps x 36
https://www.trademe.co.nz/antiques-collectables/stamps/new-ze ... 114792.htm

Went for $51.90. I see three good items here - the two Collins 1 1/8d brown, and the Allans N.Z. red. Condition not too bad.

4. Large Lot of Copyright Royalty Stamps x 36
https://www.trademe.co.nz/antiques-collectables/stamps/new-ze ... 114791.htm

Went for $79.90. Mainly Albert & Allan again. The green Phillips & Page with the handstamped 1 3/8d is uncommon, but seems tatty. Likewise the 1d green Nicholson & Co - a rare Australian item but spacefiller condition. The Alberts green & black NZ with the typewritten 2 1/2d is one of those recently catalogued in the 5th edition of the Kiwi Revenue & Railway stamps catalogue. It's $15 in usual condition, up to $30 if fine. That one looks pretty good.

adam78

Post by adam78 »

5. Large Lot of Copyright Royalty Stamps x 36
https://www.trademe.co.nz/antiques-collectables/stamps/new-ze ... 240400.htm

Went for $50.90. Nothing out of the ordinary here, although the 1d purple & black Universal Copyrights Ltd looks very clean, but not a rare stamp.

6. Large Lot of Copyright Royalty Stamps x 36
https://www.trademe.co.nz/antiques-collectables/stamps/new-ze ... 674878.htm

Went for $141.90 - the most popular lot. Mostly Alberts common values, with a few New Zealand issues.
Of note however, is the Collin 5/8d purple & black - listed in the Stamps on Music catalogue as (*), meaning only seen subsequently re-valued.
Also the Francis Day & Hunter 2/3d brown & black with the large signature is not catalogued at all. Maybe the bidders had access to the catalogue and were aware of the rarity of two of the items?

adam78

Post by adam78 »

adam78 wrote: 2.Large Lot of Copyright Royalty Stamps x 36
https://www.trademe.co.nz/antiques-collectables/stamps/new-ze ... 803371.htm

A better looking lot, went for $49.90.
Sorry, actually $129, got pix mixed up. :oops:

john6625

Post by john6625 »

Thanks for the info Adam. I find it incredible that they went for these sort of prices in that condition.

Are these prices the norm or was the seller just lucky?

adam78

Post by adam78 »

There haven't been enough sales like this to tell if it's a norm or not. It probably works out at $5-10 each for the better stamps which seems reasonable.

Individual NZ copyright stamps in very good order have gone for over $30 each recently, but also nearer to $5. Depends on there being multiple keen bidders, as in any auction.

I've just purchased an accumulation of around 1,000 78s so I'll post here my findings as I sort and soak.

Adam

john6625

Post by john6625 »

Look forward to what you find Adam.

A quick look on e-bay and between $5 - $10 seems right but as you said there is some higher priced material. A bit from this seller in India.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Australia-J-Albert-Son-Music-Publ ... 8ee&_uhb=1

adam78

Post by adam78 »

adam78 wrote: I've just purchased an accumulation of around 1,000 78s so I'll post here my findings as I sort and soak.
Adam
First locate your 78s. Any collection of 78s (or pianola rolls) should yield a collection of copyright stamps, as long as it hasn't been picked over before, or it's completely classical material. It pays to have a look if possible.

So when I purchased this accumulation via Trademe,

I first went out to the vendor to have a quick look through. I could see enough stamps and other material to make it worth bidding on. Also verified that there was no 7" 78s per the title, he actually meant 10". A pile of 7" 78s would be really nice to find!
Also there weren't 1,000 records - closer to 800 I reckon, but who's quibbling.

As it turned out I was the only bidder and got it at the reserve of $50, so about 6c per disc.

And here they are, once I'd travelled back there to bring them home - a second 60k round trip.

The first thing to do was check the boxes for vermin - I don't want to be bringing silverfish (or worse) into the house.
All was good, only sign was an old mice nest in one box, and all the sleeves nibbled to made said nest. Transferred dodgy piles into clean boxes and brought inside.

Next - sorting...

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

adam78 wrote:
adam78 wrote:
I've just purchased an accumulation of around 1,000 78s so I'll post here my findings as I sort and soak.
Adam
First locate your 78s. Any collection of 78s (or pianola rolls) should yield a collection of copyright stamps, as long as it hasn't been picked over before, or it's completely classical material. It pays to have a look if possible.

So when I purchased this accumulation via Trademe,

I first went out to the vendor to have a quick look through. I could see enough stamps and other material to make it worth bidding on. Also verified that there was no 7" 78s per the title, he actually meant 10".

A pile of 7" 78s would be really nice to find!

Also there weren't 1,000 records - closer to 800 I reckon, but who's quibbling.

As it turned out I was the only bidder and got it at the reserve of $50, so about 6c per disc.

And here they are, once I'd travelled back there to bring them home - a second 60k round trip.

The first thing to do was check the boxes for vermin - I don't want to be bringing silverfish (or worse) into the house.

All was good, only sign was an old mice nest in one box, and all the sleeves nibbled to made said nest. Transferred dodgy piles into clean boxes and brought inside.

Next - sorting...
Now THAT'S a buy for $NZ50!

adam78

Post by adam78 »

If you are just after the stamps, then sorting will be really quick - one pile with stamps on and one without.

However, as I also collect records I need to eyeball each one checking out the label, tune and artist - even the sleeves. This took about 2 hours, but as all collectors know, this is very enjoyable as you never know what the next item you turn over will be!

As it turned out, the music was pretty run of the mill in its taste - lots of popular music of the day from the 40s and 50s - Harry Belafonte, Bing Crosby, Melachrino Strings, Doris Day, Max Miller atc. Not my cup of tea. I did find one Elvis (only in average condition), several local NZ labels like Tanza and Zodiac, a Maori chief label Parlophone and a Grafton label but a poor haul from that perspective.

I also collect the local shop advertising sleeves and stickers, and had better luck there.

This sleeve is from a c.1914 UK label by Edison Bell - very few have survived so I'll be able to place one of my Velvet-Face discs in a correct sleeve (once I've ironed it).
As an aside, that red text over the royal cost of arms reads
WE ARE REMINDED THAT WE
ARE NOT WARRANT HOLDERS
WE ONLY CLAIM THAT WE
MAKE THE BEST RECORDS
AND DESERVE THE HONOUR
THOUGH WE HAVE IT NOT.

Nice try, guys :lol:

There also seemed to be quite a few local shop stickers.

Anyhow, this is how it looked after the initial sort.

Four piles of surplus records

A pile of records and sleeves worth keeping (that's All Shook Up on the top)

A small pile of records with shop stickers

And finally a pleasingly large pile of records with copyright stamps.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Very nice haul.

I'll bet if you re-offered the pile of commons after stamps are removed you'll be more than $50 back.

And have a pile of records and labels and sleeves and 'keepers' totally free. :mrgreen:

adam78

Post by adam78 »

Here's a sample of some of the more interesting items as found.

Zonophone stamp and Jenness shop sticker, pre-WW1.

Allan & Co stamp printed in the UK and and affixed to records exported to New Zealand, c.1925.

E.H. Morris on NZ Zodiac, 1953

UK J.H. Larway ¼d and ¾d on Zonophone 1916.

Mecolico ¾d reddish violet on Brunswick, c.1924

Cecil Lennox ¾d on Grafton, 1925

Associated Copyrights 2d reddish-lilac on Columbia, 1925

Looking good so far - just as well there were plenty of pre-1930 discs in the pile, as that's where the majority of stamp issuers flourished, especially in the UK.

adam78

Post by adam78 »

Some more pix before soaking...

Chappell & Co Ltd, London on Parlophone, 1924

Associated Copyright 1½d lemon, blue on Zonophone, 1921.

The Copyright Protection Society (Mechanical Rights) 1 2/3d ('1' in manuscript) on Zonophone, post-WW1.

Not a copyright stamp, but a common New Zealand inspection stamp on imported records, 1950s

J. Albert & Son 1¼d on Australian Columbia, 1927

J. Albert & Son ¾d on Australian Regal Zonophone, c.1934

As well as the nice stamps, there were lots of poor condition ones, both common and uncommon

Lawrence Wright 1 1/8d violet on Columbia, c.1920

Normally, I'd not bother with the tatty ones, unless very rare. But as a census exercise, and seeing that even tatty ones can sell as above, I took them all in this case.

Return to “Cinderellas etc - all the stamps that are NOT regular postage stamp related”