Share all your 'Art and Paintings' designs on stamps and covers etc

Whether we own them or not we all love LOOKING at philatelic Gems and goodies. Add your favourites today. Add your comments WHY this stamp or cover or item is superb or unusual. Or lift them from an auction site to share with other members, if that does not breach their copyright notice.

Moderators: snaws, Justin, Volunteer Moderator Team

Waffle
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Share your 'Art and Paintings' on stamps and covers etc

Post by Waffle »

Sharing my Cook Islands mint stamps. - Art.
Stamp of The Cook Islands 1972. A 1c stamp of "A Rest On The Flight To Egypt" by Caravaggio from the 1972 Christmas Issue.
Stamp of The Cook Islands 1972. A 1c stamp of "A Rest On The Flight To Egypt" by Caravaggio from the 1972 Christmas Issue.
I prefer to collect UK, British Commonwealth esp Pacific area ( not excluding West Indies/Canada ) and Western Europe. At the bottom of my zone of interest is Eastern Europe and communist countries.
Eli

Post by Eli »

Peasant family in an Interior (detail), by Louis Le Nain (1593 - 1677), designed and engraved by Pierre Gandon and issued by France on November 8, 1980:
Peasant family in an Interior (detail)
Peasant family in an Interior (detail)
Here is the complete painting on a stamp issued by Congo on March 20, 1976:
Peasant family in an Interior
Peasant family in an Interior
The painter of the Peasant family painting, Louis Le Nain, on a painting shows him with his brothers, Antoine and Mathieu. This painting, called "The peasant meal", was painted by Louis (not Antoine as Scott describes). The stamp was engraved by Claude Andréotto and issued by Monaco on October 20, 1988 to commemorate the 400th anniversary of the birth of Antoine Le Nain:
The peasant meal
The peasant meal
Eli

Post by Eli »

Albrecht Dürer (1471-1528), self portrait from 1493, Louvre, Paris, designed and engraved by Georges Bétemps and issued by France on June 9, 1980 to publicize the PhilexFrance '82 stamp exhibition:
France 1980 Durer.jpg
Albrecht-self.jpg
Eli

Post by Eli »

Allegorical figures representing "Liberty, Equality, Fraternity" (Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité), the national motto of France, cased on engravings by unknown, designed and engraved by Claude Durrens and issued by France on March 18, 1989 to commemorate bicentenary of the French Revolution and the Declaration of Human Rights:
France 1989 Human Rights 1a.jpg
France 1989 Human Rights 2a.jpg
France 1989 Human Rights 3a.jpg
Issued in se-tenant with tab which designed by Michel Durand-Mégret and engraved by Claude Jumelet:
France 1989 Human Rights.jpg
The above France set was jointly issued with the USA which issued a stamp shows the same allegorical figures, designed by Dick Sheaff and issued on July 14, 1989 to mark the Bicentennial of the French Revolution:
USA 1989 French Revolution.jpg
Eli

Post by Eli »

The Family, sculpture by Marc Boyan, designed and engraved by Jacques Combet and issued by France on September 18, 1982:
France 1982 Boyan.jpg
Eli

Post by Eli »

Pissarro and Renoir...

The path of the cabbage, by Camille Pissarro (1830-1903), designed by Jacques Gauthier, engraved by Jean Pheulpin and issued by France on April 20, 1981:
France 1981 Pissarro.jpg
The Swing, by Auguste Renoir (1841-1919), designed and engraved by Claude Durrens and issued by France on February 23, 1991:
France 1991 Renoir.jpg
Eli

Post by Eli »

"World", sculpture by Antoine Pevsner (1884-1962), designed and engraved by Claude Durrens and issued by France on November 14, 1987:
France 1987 Pevsner.jpg
Eli

Post by Eli »

Statues by French sculptors, Semi-postal engraved stamps designed and engraved by Jules Piel and issued by France on December 22, 1950 to raise donations to the Red Cross:

- Alexandre Brongniart statue by Jean-Antoine Houdon (1741 – 1828)
Alexandre Brongniart, (1770 - 1847), went on to become a respected mineralogist, geologist, and naturalist.
France 1950 Red cross 1.jpg
- Seated cupid ('Amour menaçant'), statue by Étienne Maurice Falconet (1716 – 1791)
France 1950 Red cross 2.jpg
Red Cross 1950.jpg
Waffle

Post by Waffle »

Sharing my Pacific Islands mint stamps. - Art.
Stamp of Niue 1973. The complete 1973 mint Christmas Issue. Flowers by various artists.
Stamp of Niue 1973. The complete 1973 mint Christmas Issue. Flowers by various artists.
I prefer to collect UK, British Commonwealth esp Pacific area ( not excluding West Indies/Canada ) and Western Europe. At the bottom of my zone of interest is Eastern Europe and communist countries.
Waffle

Post by Waffle »

Diverse Collection No. 567. - Art.
Contents of  a Deutche Post stamp pack bought at Cologne Railway Station P.O. in 2015. Stamp brochure for @00th birth anniversary of Carl Spitweg, German artist & characturist of the 19th century.
Contents of a Deutche Post stamp pack bought at Cologne Railway Station P.O. in 2015. Stamp brochure for @00th birth anniversary of Carl Spitweg, German artist & characturist of the 19th century.
Waffle

Post by Waffle »

Diverse Collection No. 567a. - Art.
Stamp of Germany . Artwork of Carl Spitweg, postmarked on the 200th anniversary of his birth.
Stamp of Germany . Artwork of Carl Spitweg, postmarked on the 200th anniversary of his birth.
Eli

Post by Eli »

Detail of a fresco by Raphael (1483 - 1520), issued by Upper Volta (Burkina Faso) on December 13, 1983:
Upper Volta 1983 Raphael a.jpg
Eli

Post by Eli »

Paintings from Slovak National Gallery, designed by Martin Cinovsky and issued by Slovakia on December 15, 1994 and November 30, 1995:

The Girls, by Janko Alexy (1894 - 1970), engraved by Bohumil Šneider:
Slovakia 1994 Alexy.jpg
Bulls, by Vincent Hložník (1919 - 1997), engraved by Miloš Ondráček:
Slovakia 1994 Hloznik.jpg
Nativity, by artists from Hlohovec, 15th century, engraved by Miloš Ondráček:
Slovakia 1995 Hlohovec.jpg
Two Women, by Mikuláš Galanda (1895 - 1938), engraved by Rudolf Cigánik:
Slovakia 1995 Galanda.jpg
Waffle

Post by Waffle »

Diverse Collection No. 570. - Art.
Stamp of Palau. Mint miniature of a painting by Xu Beihong of a pig, for Lunar New Year, The Year Of The Pig.
Stamp of Palau. Mint miniature of a painting by Xu Beihong of a pig, for Lunar New Year, The Year Of The Pig.
Eli

Post by Eli »

Art stamps designed by Martin Činovský and issued by Slovakia in year 1996:

Queen Ntombi Twala, Queen mother and mother of King Mswati III of Eswatini (Swaziland), by Andy Warhol (1928 – 1987), engraved by Miloš Ondráček and issued on November 13, 1996:
Slovakia 1996 Warhol.jpg
The Baroque Chair, by Endre Nemes (1909 – 1985), engraved by Václav Fajt and issued on October 5, 1996:
Slovakia 1996 Nemes.jpg
Sculpture, by Franz Xaver Messerschmidt (1736 - 1783), engraved by Bohumil Šneider and issued on October 5, 1996:
Slovakia 1996 Messerschmidt.jpg
Eli

Post by Eli »

Art stamps from Slovak National Gallery, designed by Martin Činovský and issued by Slovakia on October 5, 1999:

Malatina, by Milos Alexander Bazovsky (1899-1968), engraved by František Horniak:
Slovakia 1999 Bazovsky.jpg
Study of the Blacksmith, by Dominik Skutecký (1849-1921), engraved by Rudolf Cigánik:
Slovakia 1999 Skutecky.jpg
Waffle

Post by Waffle »

Free from Jerry in Taiwan. - Art & Architecture.
Stamp of Germany. 500th anniversary of The Madonna Of The Sistine and 750th anniversary of the Katherinenkloster, now a museum.
Stamp of Germany. 500th anniversary of The Madonna Of The Sistine and 750th anniversary of the Katherinenkloster, now a museum.
Cemilb
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by Cemilb »

Art by Austrian artist Wolfgang Hutter (1928-2014). Hutter's imagery is characterised by an artificial paradise of gardens and fantastical fairytale-like scenes [from Wikipedia].
Austria 1071.jpg
Austria 1071@01.jpg
The Vienna office of the U.N. had Hutter design a first day cancel for the 1977 set depicting paintings of American artist Andrew Wyeth. Below, the cancel and the complete FDC.
UN-Vienna 53@02 cancel.jpg
UN-Vienna 53@01.jpg
Cemil Betanov
Editor, The EFO Collector, Member EFOCC, APS, UPSS, PSS, ATA
Cemilb

Post by Cemilb »

A set of charity stamps depicted issued in the 1930s in Spain depicted Velazquez' painting The Forge of Vulcan. There are several printings shown below.
Spain H34@01.jpg
Spain H29.jpg
There was also a version on a souvenir sheet with all the paintings in the set:
Spain H34 A front.jpg
In 1941, there was an overprint. I am not sure what the occasion was. I have to look into that.
Spain HNE35@01a.jpg
Here is an EFO of the stamp: double overprint.
Spain HNE35@03.jpg
Cemil Betanov
Cemilb

Post by Cemilb »

What about some Picasso?
This is an EFO, with the two stamps at the right in a different color.
Spain 2110@02.jpg
Here is an event cover (this is not an FDC):
Spain 2111@01.jpg
I particularly like the cancel:
Spain 2111@01 cancel.jpg
Cemil Betanov
Eli

Post by Eli »

Cemilb wrote: 08 Sep 2023 11:40 A set of charity stamps depicted issued in the 1930s in Spain depicted Velazquez' painting The Forge of Vulcan. There are several printings shown below.

In 1941, there was an overprint. I am not sure what the occasion was. I have to look into that.

Thank you very much, Cemil, for your great posts and scans. As you stated, the original stamps were issued in 1938 during the Second Spanish Republic (1931-1939) hence bears the inscription República Española. They were issued as charity stamps for the benefit of orphans of the post office workers. After the fall of the Republic and the establishment of the Spanish State of Fascist Franco, the stamps were overprinted with a black strip to erase the inscription República Española and with the Spanish State coat of arms.

Cemilb wrote: 08 Sep 2023 11:40 There was also a version on a souvenir sheet with all the paintings in the set:
Spain H34 A front.jpg
The stamps of the SS are all beautifully engraved and good quality while the singles are very poor quality. Until now the engravers are unknown and I appreciate any information about the engravers involved in producing this nice set.
Cemilb

Post by Cemilb »

Eli wrote: 09 Sep 2023 17:27
Thank you very much, Cemil, for your great posts and scans. As you stated, the original stamps were issued in 1938 during the Second Spanish Republic (1931-1939) hence bears the inscription República Española. They were issued as charity stamps for the benefit of orphans of the post office workers. After the fall of the Republic and the establishment of the Spanish State of Fascist Franco, the stamps were overprinted with a black strip to erase the inscription República Española and with the Spanish State coat of arms.

The stamps of the SS are all beautifully engraved and good quality while the singles are very poor quality. Until now the engravers are unknown and I appreciate any information about the engravers involved in producing this nice set.
Thank you for your response. It gave me an reason to go and read up on the Spanish Civil War. If I find the out engraver's name, I'll let you know, but don't hold your breath.

I also have the following stamp with overprint "SIN VALOR POSTAL".
Spain HNE35@04.jpg
I wonder whether you have seen this and why it was overprinted?
Do you have any information about whether there was a time where these stamps had to be used on mail or whether they were valid as postage?

Thanks,
Cemil
Cemil Betanov
Eli

Post by Eli »

Cemilb wrote: 10 Sep 2023 15:17 I also have the following stamp with overprint "SIN VALOR POSTAL".
Do you have any information about whether there was a time where these stamps had to be used on mail or whether they were valid as postage?

Thanks,
Cemil
Cemil,

The overprinted "sin valor postal" (without postage value) done also by the Fascist government of Franco as the year 1941 indicate. Don't know the purpose of this overprint.

I am not an expert in Spanish philately and purchased this SS for my Greek Mythology stamp collection. But in more than 10 years of searching for items for my mythology collection, I have never seen these stamps used on cover or cancelled with postal postmark. Seems they used only as charity labels for the orphans of post workers.
Cemilb

Post by Cemilb »

Eli wrote: 10 Sep 2023 16:35
Cemilb wrote: 10 Sep 2023 15:17 I also have the following stamp with overprint "SIN VALOR POSTAL".

Thanks,
Cemil
Cemil,

The overprinted "sin valor postal" (without postage value) done also by the Fascist government of Franco as the year 1941 indicate. Don't know the purpose of this overprint.

I am not an expert in Spanish philately and purchased this SS for my Greek Mythology stamp collection. But in more than 10 years of searching for items for my mythology collection, I have never seen these stamps used on cover or cancelled with postal postmark. Seems they used only as charity labels for the orphans of post workers.
Eli, Thank you very much for the information you provided. Very helpful!
Best,
Cemil
Cemil Betanov
Cemilb

Post by Cemilb »

Eli wrote: 10 Sep 2023 16:35

Thanks,
Cemil
Cemil,

Eli, Thank you very much for the information you provided. Very helpful!
Best,
Cemil
Cemil Betanov
Cemilb

Post by Cemilb »

Here is a lithograph from Pablo Picasso, executed in 1954, and here used as indicium of a Polish postal card in 1978. I have seen the title "War and Peace", but on the postal card, it says "We want to live in peace" ("pragniemy zyc w pokoju") as per google. Pretty large indicium!
Poland PC01.jpg
Best,
Cemil
Cemil Betanov
Eli

Post by Eli »

Eli wrote: 19 Aug 2023 04:22 Peasant family in an Interior (detail), by Louis Le Nain (1593 - 1677), designed and engraved by Pierre Gandon and issued by France on November 8, 1980:
I just added another stamp shows other detail of the painting "Peasant family in an Interior". It is a semi postal stamp, engraved by Jules Piel and issued by France on December 8, 1956 to collect donations to the Red Cross:
France 1956 Red cross 1.jpg
Cemilb

Post by Cemilb »

Eli wrote: 12 Sep 2023 01:22
Eli wrote: 19 Aug 2023 04:22 Peasant family in an Interior (detail), by Louis Le Nain (1593 - 1677), designed and engraved by Pierre Gandon and issued by France on November 8, 1980:
I just added another stamp shows other detail of the painting "Peasant family in an Interior". It is a semi postal stamp, engraved by Jules Piel and issued by France on December 8, 1956 to collect donations to the Red Cross:
I like to find parts of one painting on different stamps... great find!
Cemil Betanov
Eli

Post by Eli »

Thanks, Cemil! :) :) :)

Pierrot, also known as Gilles, by Jean-Antoine Watteau (1684–1721), two engraved stamps issued by France and Monaco. The painting show a number of actors portraying commedia dell'arte masks, with one as the titular character set in the foreground.

Pierrot, semi-postal stamp, designed and engraved by Jules Piel and issued by France on December 8, 1956 to raise donations to the Red Cross:
France 1956 Red cross 2.jpg
Pierrot, engraved by Jean Miermont and issued by Monaco on January 18, 1972 to commemorate the 250th anniversary of the death of Watteau:
Monaco 1972 Watteau.jpg
Eli

Post by Eli »

Gallo-Roman bronze statue of a horse from Neuvy-en-Sullias, Loiret department, France, designed and engraved by Pierre Albuisson and issued by France on June 8, 1996:
France 1996 Bronze Horse.jpg
Cemilb

Post by Cemilb »

French painter Jean Auguste Dominique Ingres' (1780-1867) painting "The Source" appears on two stamps. In 1980, Monaco issued Scott 1229, and Russia issued Scott 4858, to celebrate the painter's 200th birth anniversary. The Russian stamp also depicts Ingres' autoportrait in the foreground. I prefer the engraved stamp from Monaco.
Monaco 1229.jpg
Russia 4858.jpg
Enjoy!
Cemil Betanov
Waffle

Post by Waffle »

Sharing my Art & Paintings on stamps.
Stamp of Cameroon. Complete mint C.T.O. set of Easter Paintings.
Stamp of Cameroon. Complete mint C.T.O. set of Easter Paintings.
Waffle

Post by Waffle »

Sharing my Art & Paintings.
Stamp of Central African Empire 1978. Paintings by Albrecht Durer on the 450th anniversary of his death.
Stamp of Central African Empire 1978. Paintings by Albrecht Durer on the 450th anniversary of his death.
Waffle

Post by Waffle »

Stamp of Hungary. 1969 Part of a set of mint C.T.O. stamps on Dutch Paintings In Hungarian Museums.
Stamp of Hungary. 1969 Part of a set of mint C.T.O. stamps on Dutch Paintings In Hungarian Museums.
Waffle

Post by Waffle »

Stamp of Hungary 1969. Rest of set of mint C.T.O. stamps on Dutch Paintings In Hungarian Museums.
Stamp of Hungary 1969. Rest of set of mint C.T.O. stamps on Dutch Paintings In Hungarian Museums.
Cemilb

Post by Cemilb »

Waffle wrote: 17 Sep 2023 06:43 Sharing my Art & Paintings.
Nice! Thanks for sharing. I like to see paintings on stamps.

I am sharing here two stamps that match the top row of your stamps: France Scott 1688 with attached PhilexFrance label and Hungary Scott 2563 imperf.
France 1688@01.jpg
Hungary 2563@01.jpg
One day, I will have to look up some literature to identify the apostles. A project for a cold winter day....

Best,
Cemil
Cemil Betanov
Cemilb

Post by Cemilb »

Eli wrote: 13 Sep 2023 03:23 Thanks, Cemil! :) :) :)

Pierrot, also known as Gilles, by Jean-Antoine Watteau (1684–1721), two engraved stamps issued by France and Monaco. The painting show a number of actors portraying commedia dell'arte masks, with one as the titular character set in the foreground.

Pierrot, semi-postal stamp, designed and engraved by Jules Piel and issued by France on December 8, 1956 to raise donations to the Red Cross:
Pierrot, engraved by Jean Miermont and issued by Monaco on January 18, 1972 to commemorate the 250th anniversary of the death of Watteau:
Hi Eli, Thank you for sharing. I particularly enjoy when I can see these stamps enlarged on the screen of my laptop, one sees so many more details. I wonder whether you prefer one version over the other. I prefer the French monochrome version -with exception of the cross-. I find it is a better engraving. The Monaco version does not benefit from being enlarged, the colors are too sloppy.
To continue our theme about having the same painting on different stamps, I present a self-portrait of French painter Nicolas Poussin. The Russian stamp is Scott 3114 and the French version is Scott B388 semi-postal. They were issues in 1965 to commemorate the 300th anniversary of Poussin's death. I have two versions of the French stamp: First, the normal edition issued by the French Post Office and then a proof in a different color.
Russia 3114.jpg
France B388.jpg
France B388@02.jpg
Best,
Cemil
Cemil Betanov
Waffle

Post by Waffle »

Stamp of Equatorial Guinea. a mint C.T.O. stamp , painting by P.P. Rubens of Allegory of The Peace and War.
Stamp of Equatorial Guinea. a mint C.T.O. stamp , painting by P.P. Rubens of Allegory of The Peace and War.
Eli

Post by Eli »

Cemilb wrote: 17 Sep 2023 10:58
Hi Eli, Thank you for sharing. I particularly enjoy when I can see these stamps enlarged on the screen of my laptop, one sees so many more details. I wonder whether you prefer one version over the other. I prefer the French monochrome version -with exception of the cross-. I find it is a better engraving. The Monaco version does not benefit from being enlarged, the colors are too sloppy.
To continue our theme about having the same painting on different stamps, I present a self-portrait of French painter Nicolas Poussin. The Russian stamp is Scott 3114 and the French version is Scott B388 semi-postal. They were issues in 1965 to commemorate the 300th anniversary of Poussin's death. I have two versions of the French stamp: First, the normal edition issued by the French Post Office and then a proof in a different color.

Best,
Cemil
Hi Cemil, great Poussin stamps and color assay and thanks you posted them. As a fan and a collector of engraved art stamps, I prefer the French one. In the case of the Pierrot painting by Watteau I posted above, I love the two versions the same, each one has his charm and beauty.

I will look for more stamps show same paintings or artworks. Sure I have one or two more examples and I will be glad to post them. Meanwhile, to continue with Nicolsas Poussin, here are two stamps with his paintings, both show biblical scenes:

Moses defending the daughters of Jethro, designed and engraved by Pierre Albuisson and issued by France on September 1, 1994 to commemorate the 400th anniversary death of the Poussin:
France 1994 Poussin.jpg
King Solomon’s Judgment, issued by Kingdom of Yemen on December 1, 1967 as one in a set entitled "Queen of Sheba's Visit to King Solomon of Israel".
Yemen Kingdom 1967 Sheba 10a.jpg
In this case, of course I like the French monochrome engraved one!
Eli

Post by Eli »

Eli wrote: 17 Sep 2023 16:26 I will look for more stamps show same paintings or artworks. Sure I have one or two more examples and I will be glad to post them.
Well, here comes the first example, painting by Peter Paul Rubens (1577 – 1640). It is a painting of Nicolas, son of Rubens:

Nicolas at age 2 years old, on three stamps by Monaco, Belgium and Austria:

Stamp designed by Pierre Gandon and issued by Monaco on May 3, 1977 to commemorate the 400th anniversary birth of Rubens:
Monaco 1977 Rubens 1.jpg

Charity stamp engraved by Jean de Bast and issued by Belgium on December 7, 1963 to raise donations for the anti Tuberculosis campaign:
Belgium 1963 Rubens 2.jpg

Stamp designed by Adalbert Pilch, engraved by Alfred Nefe and issued by Austria on September 26, 1969, to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the Albertina graphics collection:
Austria 1969 Albertina 3.jpg
This painting of Nicolas at age 2 years appears on other stamps issued by Benin, Costa Rica and Togo.

Nicolas appears on two other different paintings, both by Rubens:

Artist's sons Albert and Nicholas Rubens, exhibited in Liechtenstein Museum, Vienna, Austria, designed (after Rubens) by Karl Gessner, engraved by Alfred Fischer and issued by Liechtenstein on September 9, 1976 to mark the 400th anniversary of the birth of Rubens:
Liechtenstein 1976 Rubens 2.jpg

Nicolas at age 6 years old, Charity stamp engraved by Charles Leclercqz and issued by Belgium on December 7, 1963 to raise donations for the anti Tuberculosis campaign:
Belgium 1963 Rubens 4.jpg

Since Rubens used his family members as models to his paintings, for sure Nicolas appears on other paintings in different subjects.
RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Good photography is good art. BigSaint recently showed this very attractive postcard in the Happy Day thread (I think we've also seen an example previously):

Scottish Reflections, a Tebb Wang Drawcard (2023)
Scottish Reflections, a Tebb Wang Drawcard (2023)
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=102805&start=2501
I make the parallel with this Arthur Boyd painting shown on a 1994 Australian stamp:

Australia, 1994: 45c Australia Day<br />Arthur Boyd painting: Shoalhaven River Bank — Dawn (SG 1435)
Australia, 1994: 45c Australia Day
Arthur Boyd painting: Shoalhaven River Bank — Dawn (SG 1435)
Four artworks were shown on the 1994 Australia Day stamp set:

Australia, 1994: Australia Day first day cover<br />45c Arthur Boyd: Shoalhaven River Bank —Dawn <br />85c Sidney Nolan: Wimmera<br />$1.05 Sidney Nolan: Lagoon, Wimmera<br />$2 Arthur Boyd: White cockatoos with flame trees<br />(SG 1435-1438)
Australia, 1994: Australia Day first day cover
45c Arthur Boyd: Shoalhaven River Bank —Dawn
85c Sidney Nolan: Wimmera
$1.05 Sidney Nolan: Lagoon, Wimmera
$2 Arthur Boyd: White cockatoos with flame trees
(SG 1435-1438)
Arthur Boyd painted a series of works depicting the Shoalhaven River — several locations, various times of day. Here is one 1993 work from that series:

Arthur Boyd, 1993: River bank and four rocks<br />Acknowledgement: Art Gallery of New South Wales
Arthur Boyd, 1993: River bank and four rocks
Acknowledgement: Art Gallery of New South Wales
/RogerE 🦉
Eli

Post by Eli »

Great post, Roger! Thank you very much! :) :) :)
Eli

Post by Eli »

Famous Italian artists, two sets issued by Italy in 1973 and 1974. Here is the first set issued on November 5, 1973:

Giovanni Battista Piranesi (1720 – 1778), an Italian classical archaeologist, architect, and artist, famous for his etchings of Rome:
Italy 1973 Artists 1.jpg

Andrea del Cione Verrocchio (c. 1435 – 1488), an Italian sculptor, painter and goldsmith who was a master of an important workshop in Florence:
Italy 1973 Artists 2.jpg

Sandro Botticelli (c. 1445 – 1510), an Italian painter of the Early Renaissance:
Italy 1973 Artists 3.jpg

Giovanni Battista Tiepolo (1696 – 1770), an Italian painter and printmaker from the Republic of Venice who painted in the Rococo style:
Italy 1973 Artists 4.jpg

Paolo Veronese (1528 – 1588), an Italian Renaissance painter based in Venice, known for extremely large history paintings of religion and mythology:
Italy 1973 Artists 5.jpg
Eli

Post by Eli »

Here is the second set of famous Italian artists, issued by Italy on May 25, 1974:

Francesco Borromini (1599-1677), an Italian architect who, with his contemporaries Gian Lorenzo Bernini and Pietro da Cortona, was a leading figure in the emergence of Roman Baroque architecture:
Italy 1974 Artists 1.jpg

Rosalba Giovanna Carriera (1673-1757), a Venetian Rococo painter. In her younger years, she specialized in portrait miniatures:
Italy 1974 Artists 2.jpg

Giovanni Bellini, Giambellino (c.1430-1516), an Italian Renaissance painter, probably the best known of the Bellini family of Venetian painters:
Italy 1974 Artists 3.jpg

Andrea Mantegna (c.1431-1506), an Italian painter and a student of Roman archaeology:
Italy 1974 Artists 4.jpg

Raffaello Sanzio, Raphael (1483-1520), an Italian painter and architect of the High Renaissance:
Italy 1974 Artists 5.jpg
Italy 1973-1974 Artists a.jpg
RogerE

Post by RogerE »

Thanks Eli. Nice to see portraits of those very well known Italian practitioners of the arts, and interesting to learn that archaeology (presumably Roman) was seriously studied by some of them.

/RogerE 🦉
Cemilb

Post by Cemilb »

Eli wrote: 20 Sep 2023 17:10 Raffaello Sanzio, Raphael (1483-1520), an Italian painter and architect of the High Renaissance:
Hi Eli,

Great post. I am pretty sure that the Raphael is a self-portrait. Do you know which others are paintings?

Best,
Cemil
Cemil Betanov
Cemilb

Post by Cemilb »

Eli wrote: 17 Sep 2023 17:41
Eli wrote: 17 Sep 2023 16:26 I will look for more stamps show same paintings or artworks. Sure I have one or two more examples and I will be glad to post them.
Well, here comes the first example, painting by Peter Paul Rubens (1577 – 1640). It is a painting of Nicolas, son of Rubens:

Nicolas at age 2 years old, on three stamps by Monaco, Belgium and Austria:

Stamp designed by Pierre Gandon and issued by Monaco on May 3, 1977 to commemorate the 400th anniversary birth of Rubens:

Charity stamp engraved by Jean de Bast and issued by Belgium on December 7, 1963 to raise donations for the anti Tuberculosis campaign:

Stamp designed by Adalbert Pilch, engraved by Alfred Nefe and issued by Austria on September 26, 1969, to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the Albertina graphics collection:
This painting of Nicolas at age 2 years appears on other stamps issued by Benin, Costa Rica and Togo.
Hi Eli,

You picked a favorite of mine! I add a couple of varieties:
A proof print of the Monaco stamp:
Screenshot 2023-09-20 155408.jpg
A proof of the Belgian stamp, first the front, then the back. Belgian proofs are ungummed and have a number on the back:
Belgium B748@01 A Front.jpg
Belgium B748@01 B Back.jpg
What about his daughter?

Best,
Cemil
Cemil Betanov
Eli

Post by Eli »

Thanks, Cemil! beautiful Monaco color proof assays and Belgium proof.
Cemilb wrote: 21 Sep 2023 07:02 What about his daughter?
Best,
Cemil
Rubens' daughter, Clara (1611 - 1623), appears on several paintings which issued on many stamps. I have only one stamp shows Clara on the famous painting from the Princely Collection in Metropolitan Museum, NY, USA. The stamp designed by C. Eberle, engraved by Maria Magdalena Laurent and issued by Liechtenstein on September 2, 1985:
Liechtenstein 1985 NY Art 2.jpg
In Rubens' 1616 painting "Child with bird", he used Clara as a model to paint the child. A nice engraved stamp was issued for use by Saar shows this painting. Still don't have it, but fortunately Nethryk posted it:
nethryk wrote: 27 Jun 2019 01:55 Here are images of the three semi-postal (charity) stamps in an engraved set depicting children, designed after details from various oil paintings, and issued by Saar on November 16, 1953, Scott Nos. B96-B98, Michel Nos. 344-46, plus images of two of the original paintings.

- nethryk

"Child (Clara Serena) with a bird" (1616), by Peter Paul Rubens, engraved by Charles Mazelin.
ImageImage
Cemilb

Post by Cemilb »

Eli wrote: 21 Sep 2023 18:41 Thanks, Cemil! beautiful Monaco color proof assays and Belgium proof.
Cemilb wrote: 21 Sep 2023 07:02 What about his daughter?
Best,
Cemil
Rubens' daughter, Clara (1611 - 1623), appears on several paintings which issued on many stamps. I have only one stamp shows Clara on the famous painting from the Princely Collection in Metropolitan Museum, NY, USA. The stamp designed by C. Eberle, engraved by Maria Magdalena Laurent and issued by Liechtenstein on September 2, 1985:
In Rubens' 1616 painting "Child with bird", he used Clara as a model to paint the child. A nice engraved stamp was issued for use by Saar shows this painting. Still don't have it, but fortunately Nethryk posted it:
nethryk wrote: 27 Jun 2019 01:55 Here are images of the three semi-postal (charity) stamps in an engraved set depicting children, designed after details from various oil paintings, and issued by Saar on November 16, 1953, Scott Nos. B96-B98, Michel Nos. 344-46, plus images of two of the original paintings.

- nethryk

"Child (Clara Serena) with a bird" (1616), by Peter Paul Rubens, engraved by Charles Mazelin.
ImageImage
Excellent! Just what I expected.... I happen to think that the Clara Serena Rubens stamp is a beautiful stamp,, not just the design, but the printing is so good,, the frame has almost a 3 dimensional quality to it, when you look at it carefully.

In 1949, Liechtenstein had the same painting on another stamp:
Liechtenstein 228.jpg
Thanks, Eli! I enjoyed all the information you provided...
Cemil Betanov
Eli

Post by Eli »

Cemil, thanks your warm word. Nice stamp of Liechtenstein I didn't know about. Seems Clara appears on many stamps.

Speaking about Rubens family, here is the complete set of Belgium I posted in the engraved thread. The set shows paintings and sketches by Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), issued by on December 7, 1963 to raise donations for the anti Tuberculosis campaign:

Balthazar Gerbier's daughter, engraved by Jean de Vos:
Sir Balthazar Gerbier (1592-1663), an Anglo-Dutch courtier, diplomat, art advisor, miniaturist and architectural designer, in his own words fluent in "several languages" with "a good hand in writing, skill in sciences as mathematics, architecture, drawing, painting, contriving of scenes, masques, shows and entertainments for great Princes... as likewise for making of engines useful in war."
Belgium 1963 Rubens 1.jpg

Rubens' son Nicolas (2 yo), engraved by Jean de Bast:
Belgium 1963 Rubens 2.jpg

Rubens' son Frans, engraved by Luc de Cuyper:
Belgium 1963 Rubens 3.jpg

Rubens' son Nicolas (6 yo) , engraved by Charles Leclercqz:
Belgium 1963 Rubens 4.jpg

Rubens' son Albert, engraved by Jean de Vos:
Belgium 1963 Rubens 5.jpg

Christ and John the Baptist as children and two angels, by Peter Paul Rubens and Frans Snyders, engraved by Jean de Bast:
Belgium 1963 Rubens 6.jpg
Belgium 1963 Rubens.jpg
Christ and John.jpg
Rubens also used his second wife, Helena Fourment, as a model for his paintings. I think I have a stamp or two show her.

Return to “Share with others here your NICE looking stamp and cover images etc.”