Stamp Drying Books an absolute ESSENTIAL - 36% UNDER retail!

Please list anything spare you have for sale. It MUST have a scan/s and a FIXED price. You MUST have at least 20 posts and 20 days membership on this board to list an item for sale, or your listing **will** be removed.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

GlenStephens
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Stamp Drying Books an absolute ESSENTIAL - 36% UNDER retail!

Post by GlenStephens »

These are kind of legendary. First mentioned in a couple of threads here YEARS back, members started ordering them as they had never heard of this product.

Then browny started a thread on them saying how good his books had worked for him:

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1687

And so even more books got ordered. And more members posted about them.

So here it is in one thread, in the right forum!

I've sold LITERALLY HUNDREDS of them in the past years. 8)

--------------------

They are not listed on my website - I import them direct from the USA, so can offer at a rock bottom price. Even with the totally crashed $A, I can offer as of December 2016 at -

Prices are:

$A40 for ONE books (Stock code 482FX)

$A70 for TWO books (Stock code 482FY)

Or FOUR Books for $A135. (Stock code 482FZ)

Unreg'd postage anywhere within Australia is only $A12 for the 2 or 4 books and $A9 for a single book. Add $3 for tracking.

Air Postage to NZ for 2 or 4 books is $A25. I mark them as "Books only" (which is true!) and NZ customs will not bother looking I'd say, and hence no GST.

To Asia it is $A28 Registered post, and to Europe or USA/Canada $A30 REGISTERED, and nice superb U stamps are used as always on packets.

-----------------------------

For those who have not seen these Desert Magic books, they are a large A4 sized book (stockbook sized) with thick white Spiro edge binding that as you can see allows them to lay flat. (There is a half sized one which IMHO is useless!)

The pages are of REALLY thick blotting type paper. i.e.thick heavy cardboard thickness. It is some special "fast release" formulation .. no idea what they use, but it really does WORK!

There is then a special smooth plastic coating on one side.

So you wash your stamps, and if you leave them to air dry on tea towels or blotting paper or newspaper, light creases and bends will always stay there.

If they are placed into this book when touch damp (not sopping wet) and left there with the gum side to the plastic side and the front of stamp to the blotter side, they dry perfectly flat, and many light bends and creases vanish. Nearly all of them. It is amazing the difference they make, which is why I sell so many!

Just put your stamps in, pile a few heavy books on top and forget them for a week. Most collectors have two books, as that is the secret ..... do NOT touch them for a week and let them dry slowly under weight. Most important.

The special formulation plastic coated side is super important as otherwise many stamps STICK to blotter if damp and between 2 sheets of blotting paper, with heavy weight on top. These do not. Again it is some special coating they have figured out which works perfectly for this specific job.

Almost any other kind of plastic sheet you may try to experiment with at home will leave a real ugly mirror like "SHEEN" on the gum side if placed in damp, under weight, which looks really stupid, and really shows what you have been doing. These do NOT.

The books last for decades. They really do, when used according to these simple guidelines!

A 10/- C of A Roo used and light creased copy will be $100 retail, and one that is nice and flat $200. So the cost of the book is paid 3 fold with just one stamp that is saved. :idea:

Anyway, ONE for $A40, TWO for $A68, or FOUR for $A122 plus shipping if anyone else here really wants to try these! :D

And you need at LEAST TWO as leaving stamps for a WEEK to dry flat and perfect is the key -- rushing the process curls up your stamps - like the bad old days.
Call it - "Desert Magic : Stock 482FX/482FY/482FZ " - please order via new HTTPS encrypted SECURE site - https://tinyurl.com/GlensOrder

And please do that NOW. Too many think “I’ll do that later” and then quickly “forget”. I then lose the stamps in the rubble here, and waste an annoying hour finding them again. :twisted:

All payment details etc are on: https://www.tinyurl.com/GlenPay - NICE franking is used when I mail : see member pix of that here - https://tinyurl.com/GlenCTO

For overseas members, to find out the approx cost in YOUR currency, click here - https://www.xe.com - the $A has CRASHED lately, and for USA and UK buyers, these prices are REALLY cheap in your money!

MONEY BACK GUARANTEE - don't like it - mail it back within 48 hours of receiving it. No-one ever has yet. :)

And "lay-by/layaway" is always possible - email me with any queries to glen [at] glenstephens.com - OR "trade-ins" always possible! If you have a pile of surplus stuff, I may well be happy to offset that against this item, see: https://tinyurl.com/GlenBuy

As most know - I do NO fairs or shows, have NO shop, and do NOT bother with ebay or any other auctions. I buy endless bulk lots from Estates, and distress sales etc, in this massive city of 6 million with no other real stamp buyers, and offer it here at NETT prices for fast turnover. NO "20%-25% Buyer Fees" to add to my prices, as in auction!

Many similar mouth-watering NETT price offers are being loaded weekly onto - https://tinyurl.com/GlenRare and https://tinyurl.com/GlenSpec

All stampboards lots $A200 and under are always mailed Unregistered and untracked, unless YOU specifically note otherwise on order form. 1000s of my transactions here for 9 years have been safe by normal post. :idea:

If Registered (PO cover is to $A100 only sadly) is required, clearly STATE that on order form - cost is extra $A4 local, and minimum $A15 extra foreign. Only YOU know if your street address is secure - a large packet covered in pretty stamps left outside, just might tempt passers-by? Only YOU know that, I do not. Mail contractors these days are often lazy and leave packets on top of mailboxes etc in view of public, and out in wet weather etc. PO Boxes are FAR safer. :idea:

"All Risk" Insurance is always possible if required as well, at $A2 per $100 covered - again it must be specified on order form. It is like Travel Insurance - decline that when booking your ticket, and THEN tell Qantas you really meant to take it 3 weeks back, and you now need to cancel your ticket for no penalty, and see how you go with THAT one! :lol: :lol:

As per stampboard convention - this lot is offered exclusively first to board members - and on no other sales venue.

For members who make a BANK TRANSFER payment you WILL generally get your goods faster, as it saves me some hassle - but you MUST email me the confirmation number etc - many "forget"! :)
Last edited by GlenStephens on 29 Mar 2008 18:11, edited 1 time in total.

crosscrescent
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by crosscrescent »

Glen,

Will give you my 2 sen worth of observations when I receive mine and get to use them.

Cheers
Andrew

brian31stamps
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by brian31stamps »

I picked up 2 from Glen at The Fisher's Ghost Stamp Fair and used one last night for the first time.

Couldn't wait a week to see if all was ok so peeked inside this morning.

NOT 1 stamp stuck to anything!!

As a true pom would say "bloody marvellous" :P :P :P

I will now consider purchasing more stamps on paper as this process allows several hundred to be drying simultaneously inside the small footprint of the drying book.

My rating (for what its worth) AAAAAAAAAA1

Brian
Start the day with a smile - its infectious

GlenStephens

Post by GlenStephens »

Thanks for the positive assessment Brian :)

Glen

sherro
Lifetime Suspension
Lifetime Suspension

Post by sherro »

I've got a lot of soaking to do and I haven't done it for years. These sound a lot better than Mum's old teatowels!!

I'll get you to stick two of these in with the mystery box I can sort through during my Christmas break!

Seriously, if stocks are low, please keep me two. I'm happy to pay for them and you can hold them until I buy something else if that's preferable.
Always looking for KGV British Commonwealth, mint, used, covers, anything

ozstamps
PLATINUM Shooting Star *10,000* Posts!
PLATINUM Shooting Star  *10,000* Posts!

Post by ozstamps »

Sherro, as they say .. 'no time like the present"! 8)

All credit cards OK, also PayPal and bank transfer etc.

$A55 for 2, plus $12 un'regd anywhere in Aust. :)

All payment details are on - http://www.glenstephens.com/payment.html

Call it "Desert Magic Books, Code DF585' and please order via:

http://www.glenstephens.com/order.html

sherro
Lifetime Suspension
Lifetime Suspension

Post by sherro »

Order done, but hang on to them for a week or so. I might find something to buy. If not, I MIGHT still get them before Chrimbo.

annwiggy
I was online for post number ONE MILLION!

Post by annwiggy »

Glen, I have an order with you waiting for when you can fill it in some way, from past experience it will be good.

Would you be able to add two of these drying books to the order?

Thanks a lot

Ann Wiggins :lol:
Ann

Also annwiggy on eBay.

sherro
Lifetime Suspension
Lifetime Suspension

Post by sherro »

Glen, did you get my order? If so, can you please ship (in your normal schedule!!!!), as I need to do some soaking ASAP, and I'm going to need these little beauties.

ozstamps

Post by ozstamps »

sherro wrote:Glen, did you get my order? If so, can you please ship (in your normal schedule!!!!), as I need to do some soaking ASAP, and I'm going to need these little beauties.
sherro you DID ask me to 'hold off' on mailing these, and your order has hence worked its way down from the vital and sought after "top inch" pole position of my automated and patented order dispatch system, to the dreaded "buried somewhere in the top metre" morass. ;)

I'd work pretty confidently on Christmas delivery. I am just not committing to WHICH Christmas. :idea: 8)

Image links inactive. Removed
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

sherro
Lifetime Suspension
Lifetime Suspension

Post by sherro »

No problem, I'll come over and ferret through the goodies to find the order! :wink:

sherro
Lifetime Suspension
Lifetime Suspension

Post by sherro »

Nice bluff Glen. Do you play poker? Drying books received safe and sound this morning. Thanks for the service!

bbchris
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by bbchris »

oooh I just placed an order!! So excited!!

I've always wanted something easy to dry stamps in (I LOVE soaking them!) :D

Thanks in advance Glen!
I'm from Hong Kong!

Gazza
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by Gazza »

Hi Glen,
I purchased 2 of your Desert Magic magic books last month and was sceptical about the claims made but being adventurous I gave them a go.

I have now used the 2 books to dry a 2kg package of kiloware soakers - you get about 25 grams of dried stamps per book. Therefore you can imagine how may time the books have been used - if your not that imaginative then that is around 20 book fulls. Thus each book has been used 10 times. :shock:

The results:
1. The books are slightly distorted due to water shrinkage of the pages.
2. the stamps are easy to remove from the special coated pages.
3. These special coated pages are still working as new.
4. Stamps can be closely packed onto the pages.
5. It takes a long time for the stamps to dry - drawback (see my method below).
6. The books hold moisture for a long time - days when left closed (see method below).
7. Some postmark/cancel ink has been absorbed onto the blotting paper. This does not effect the drying of future stamps.
8. As stamps can take up to 3 days to completely dry, some still curl when removed from book.
9. The book will distort (develop bends) as the book and stamps dry.

I now believe that I have a quick method of drying both for the stamps and the books so here is how I have learnt to minimise the drying times:

1. Ensure the soaked stamps are rinsed in clean water.
2. Open the book from the back to the first special coated page.
3. Remove stamp from rinse water and shake off excess water.
4. Place stamp face-up on special coated page.
5. Continue adding stamps until the page is full. Stamps can be closely packed on page.
6. Fold over blotting page and next special coated page. Repeat steps 3 to 6 until all stamps are in book.
7. Place book on flat surface and put a telephone book on top to keep the book flat. Place a piece of plastic between the drying book and telephone book to stop the books sticking together.
8. Wait 2 to 3 hours then remove the stamps from the book by opening to the first page and shaking the stamps off. Repeat for each page.
9. The stamp will still be damp so allow them to sit on a drying surface (ie. the kitchen table) until dry.
10. After emptying the book lay it open to the first page on a flat surface then turn to the next page every hour. This will allow the book to dry and it will dry reasonable flat. It can be reused within a few hours.

The advantages of this method over my previous paper towel drying method are that I can get more stamps into a smaller area so there are no longer paper towels all over the house and, although the stamps do curl, the curl is not as great as total fresh air drying. To sum-up - I like the books! :D

Thanks
Gazza

sherro
Lifetime Suspension
Lifetime Suspension

Post by sherro »

I did my first soaking in over 25 years over Christmas, and these books are sensational. I followed Glen's tips, used Palmolive to give them a nice wash, part dried them on a tea towel, loaded from the back, put 10 kilos of books on the Desert Magic book and waited a week. What results! Flat as a tack and looking beautiful. I stuffed up a bit, by not washing all of the gum off a few, but they still refused to stick to the gloss.

If you haven't got any of these books, buy them now!!! Your life will be easier

crosscrescent

Post by crosscrescent »

Gazza,

Thanks for sharing your method of using these books.
I have my 2 books still waiting for a nice stretch of free time to try out.

Cheers
Andrew

annwiggy

Post by annwiggy »

I can add my recommendation as well, have filled both books 3 times and am continuing with the loads of stamps I have to soak.
Ann

Also annwiggy on eBay.

bbchris

Post by bbchris »

I'm so jealous! Im still waiting for my books to arrive.....
I'm from Hong Kong!

ozstamps

Post by ozstamps »

Chris .. I am in Burma now for a few more days ... did you order them off me?

Gazza - great primer .. did you read the notes I hope I included with yours?

You MUST add stamps in there touch dry or the books do buckle a bit as I stress in notes.

Most folks using them for kiloware (high volume) buy 4 or 6 books for the reasons you state ... 2 is not near enough.

As Sherro states a week drying time (with 10 kilos books on top! (is the MINIMUM time for older more valuable stamps, you want to come out perfectly flat and 100% dry.

Lightly rubbing better older stamps between your forefinger and thumb to free up old gum and hinges is important, as is the boiling water, AND the final rinse in clean HOT water. :idea:

Glen in Burma.
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

bbchris

Post by bbchris »

Hi Glen, yes I ordered them mid-Dec from you through your website following the instructions you wrote in this thread.

Have a great time in Burma/Myanmar!
I'm from Hong Kong!

attard44
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by attard44 »

I used the drying books bought from Glen, using the same book three time very sparingly. I do not have kilos to soak off paper, so I put only a few on each page.

They are certainly very useful: no folding of blotting paper; no stamps falling from between sheets of blotting paper; no trying to find a method of placing them between heavy books. And because I do no have a massive number of stamps to soak or clean, the waiting time is not a drawback.

The only problem I encountered with them is that, despite the fact that I followed directions to the letter, the pages tend to buckle a bit. Now with the method of using blotting paper (the same happens to blotting paper after a while), once this happens you just discard the paper and use a new one. This, however, you cannot do with the books.

I was wondering whether one can extend the life of the books by placing a same size sheet of blotting paper between the stamps and the blotting paper of the book. After a short while the introduced blotting paper can be removed.

Len

sherro
Lifetime Suspension
Lifetime Suspension

Post by sherro »

After a week under ten kilos of books, my blotting paper is flat!

attard44

Post by attard44 »

I'll give it a go, sherro. Thanks.

Len

sherro
Lifetime Suspension
Lifetime Suspension

Post by sherro »

Len, I've got two books and used them both. Now I look at them, they look almost as new.

That weight makes a hell of a difference.

As I posted somewhere just like everyone else, I used to dry on tea towels, stick them in a stock book and hoped for a humid day to flatten stamps out.

I haven't soaked in years because it was such a chore. Not any more.

These things have probably been around for years, but to me, they're simply revolutionary.

I actually enjoyed soaking, and I never thought that would happen!

Gazza

Post by Gazza »

Hi Glen,

I did not get any "note" with my books but thats OK as the method I outlined above works fine for me.

As to the books not drying flat, that is not a problem either because I place a phone book on them during the drying process and it does not affect the stamps.

Gazza :wink:

Gazza

Post by Gazza »

BOOK USAGE UPDATE

Since my previous post both my books have been used 12 times. (Read my method as I do leave the stamps to dry for a week). :D

They are still working as new although they definitely look used.

Gazza

Gazza

Post by Gazza »

Gazza wrote:BOOK USAGE UPDATE

Since my previous post both my books have been used 12 times. (Read my method as I do leave the stamps to dry for a week). :D

They are still working as new although they definitely look used.

Gazza
This should read "my books have NOW been used 12 times each."

Gazza :roll:

sherro
Lifetime Suspension
Lifetime Suspension

Post by sherro »

Here's a little experiment I did. A 1918 censor cover from Netherlands Indies to Holland. Ratty, tatty and dirty, and worth the $1 I paid for it:

Image link inactive. Removed

I held it under the hot water tap for about five seconds until it was quite wet, then towelled the surface dry. I didn't use any detergent, nor did I rub the surface at all. After one day in the drying book, voila:

Image link inactive. Removed

Still probably worth $1, but a far more attractive addition to my collection.

crosscrescent

Post by crosscrescent »

Sherro,

Way to go man.

Cheers

Andrew

Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Glen

I can't see the postage cost to UK? How much would it be to ship 2 books over here?

thanks

Simon

GlenStephens

Post by GlenStephens »

Slayer wrote:Glen

I can't see the postage cost to UK? How much would it be to ship 2 books over here?

thanks

Simon
GlenStephens wrote:
UnReg'd postage anywhere within Australia is $A12.

Air Postage to NZ is $A15. I mark them as "Books only" (which is true!) and NZ customs will not bother looking I'd say and hence no GST.

To Asia it is $A15 post, and to Europe $A20, and nice stamps are used as always on packets.

Overseas Registered add $A12 if you need that cover, but I doubt for $55 you need to bother (your risk tho) - and I remember I can't use any stamps for Reg'd. :)

bbchris

Post by bbchris »

Got my drying books!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

Will try them out next weekend as in the middle of spring-cleaning here :)
I'm from Hong Kong!

crosscrescent

Post by crosscrescent »

bbchris,

Have fun. Still waiting to try mine out. Selecting the "victims" carefully.

Cheers

Andrew

Holty
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!

Stamp Drying books

Post by Holty »

Hi Glen,

Would like to buy a couple of these excellent sounding drying books please.

Shall contact via email.

Thanks...........Holty :D
Holty

crosscrescent

Post by crosscrescent »

Glen,

Finally tried the Desert Magic book last night
with some stamps that had hinges on them
and they worked like a dream.
In fact they were pretty dry a few hours later
and the books did not seem too damp.
Perhaps the Malaysian climate does help somewhat.

Planning to soak those Roo stamps I purchased from you some time back
to give them a good clean
and to get rid of some wrinkles using the Desert Magic book.

The book is so much easier to use
and the glossy paper actually facilitates the removal of excess water
when you tilt the book.
The blotters are so thick they absorb the moisture fast.
Even those that seemed to stick to the blotter
could be removed with a little force (though I should be more careful here).
Anyway they came out pretty easily.

Right now they are taking a second round of pressing.
Still in the Desert Magic book with the whole set of SG catalogues sitting on them.
Would add the old Scott catalogues on top for good measure
but that would probably be overkill.

Would highly recommend these books
- worth the money paid for them.

Cheers

Andrew

doug

Post by doug »

Has anybody tried these books for banknotes?

I have borrowed Glen's idea of using hot water and inserting between doubled, folded blotting paper then onto the kitchen bench and under the 2 phone books for a week - with excellent results.

I understand the need for the plastic interleave for stamps, which is not necessary for notes, but perhaps the extra flat layer may improve on my method?

p.s. I use a pastry brush to gently work the liquid cleanser over the note.

waroff49
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by waroff49 »

They really are magic.
Waroff49
The last chapter of the Never_Ending Story is being written.

GlenStephens

Post by GlenStephens »

Jut arrived back from the USA and Europe with 200 more.

Two SEVENTY pound cartons ... so yell out should anyone still needs some!

Wholesale price was up 10% in $A since last order, so price is going up to $A55 for 2.

HOWEVER to celebrate our 1st birthday coming up on April 1, I am holding the $A50 for 2 price to members here until that date. 8) 8)

annwiggy

Post by annwiggy »

Glen I would like two more please, have you got any general type collection(s) (as you have previously sold me) so that I can add to these?
Ann

Also annwiggy on eBay.

GlenStephens

Post by GlenStephens »

Ann, 2 Desert Magics are yours.

I just bought 7 brand new lighthouse stockbooks someone bought off me new before Xmas for $175 and stuffed them full of their world arranged A to Z over Xmas, and now sold it all back to me! Many 1000s here.

Heaps of stuff. On a quick glance saw things like M+U Norfolk Coll inc scarce 1953+1960+1974 Defins etc. Cook Is with MUH $7.20 and $9.60 hi vals sighted. Handy GB, Canada, Australia etc.

If you can use some new stockbooks after you sell off the contents this might suit you? At say $40 a book = $280 they are fair value that's for sure if you or others can use them.

annwiggy

Post by annwiggy »

That sounds good will take them, what would you like me to do now?

Many thanks, appreciated
Ann

Also annwiggy on eBay.

annwiggy

Post by annwiggy »

Items all arrived safely thanks Glen.

Should add that the Drying books do a great job - I can certainly recommend them
Ann

Also annwiggy on eBay.

GlenStephens

Post by GlenStephens »

Anne .. glad they worked .. selling these very steadily!

Lakatoi 4
Location: First star on the right then straight on till morning ...

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

A page of Desert Magic drying (effortless really :!: ):

Tony
"A cancelled stamp tells part of the story, a cover tells it all"

sherro
Lifetime Suspension
Lifetime Suspension

Post by sherro »

Gee Tony, you dry posher stamps than I do! :cry:

Lakatoi 4
Location: First star on the right then straight on till morning ...

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

Nah,

These are just the floor sweepings - I'm tidying up a bit :wink:
Tony
"A cancelled stamp tells part of the story, a cover tells it all"

sherro
Lifetime Suspension
Lifetime Suspension

Post by sherro »

Let me know if you need a cleaner :wink:

Nuno_Silva

Post by Nuno_Silva »

Hi Glen,

I want 4 of this books. Is still available?

Thank You.

Nuno

Nuno_Silva

Post by Nuno_Silva »

Nuno_Silva wrote:Hi Glen,

Thank You.

Nuno
Just to remember!

I´m very interested in these books.....

:wink:

ozstamps

Post by ozstamps »

Nuno_Silva wrote:
Hi Glen,

Thank You.

Nuno
All credit cards OK, also PayPal and bank transfer etc.

$A55 for 2, plus $12 un'regd anywhere in Aust. :)

All payment details are on - http://www.glenstephens.com/payment.html

Call it "Desert Magic Books, Code DF585' and please order via:

http://www.glenstephens.com/order.html

Return to “SELL your surplus stamps at ZERO fee! Please *READ* the rules atop this forum.”