0det/winter-storm/air-mail selling regums & shilling on ebay

A venue to discuss unusual and interesting items being offered. Report and discuss fakes, forgeries, scammers and con-men. Also fee discussion, and low listing fee promos etc. Discuss feedback. Great items for sale. New policies ..... whatever YOU want!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

traderpaul
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

0det/winter-storm/air-mail selling regums & shilling on ebay

Post by traderpaul »

A new highly suspicious seller winter-storm has appeared on the horizon.

eBay info says this seller is registered in the U.K. but the listings say that the stamps being offered are located in the U.S.A.

Has been selling a number of high value Canadian stamps which, surprise-surprise, are described as being NH but are all nicely regummed.

It also appears that there is shill bidding going on too.

For example take a look at this $3 Victoria Jubilee sold on June 10.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Canada-SG-No-138-Cat-Value-1850-/180896841825

The auction was won by bidder m***d (53)

The same stamp was relisted by winter-storm on June 24th and currently has the same high bidder!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Canada-SG-No-138-Cat-Value-1850-/180912751280

There are other suspicious high value NH regums recently sold and a few others that have subsequently been relisted.

Buyers beware!
#1 traders rule - lose your opinion, instead of your money!

GlenStephens
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Re: eBay Seller winter-storm Selling re-gums, shill bidding?

Post by GlenStephens »

Wow a newbie yellow hat member with 53 feedbacks?

Amazing. Looks very strange. Wonder WHO left them all?

ONLY on ebay could a bunch of clueless idiots bid over DOUBLE the full Cat from a seller with about 100 feedbacks, and no dealer affiliations, for a stamp with ZERO certificate the gum is original.

Absolute bunnies of the very first order - the lot of them.

These deserve all the tears they will experience, when they try to SELL this undoubted cr*p to a real dealer one day. :idea:

Indeed anyone spending over 3 figures for "MUH" on ebay is very likely getting conned, with ZERO recourse once the 3 month ebay return window closes - that is if that seller is still registered - they often are not by that point.

These same dopes would never DREAM of buying a "Genuine Rolex" for $500 at a pub on a Saturday night, so why they cheerfully toss away $1000s down the drain on ebay to the Rolex sellers on there is one of life's mysteries.

These days ebay actively endorses and encourages shill bidding. They do nothing about it even when they are aware of it, as they MAKE MORE MONEY from shill bidding.

The only losers are the genius bidders.

This is WHY ebay stamp turnover is down 28% this year - their 2nd lowest category performer. Buyers are heading in droves to places like Delcampe where fakers and shillers and forgers ARE removed when owners are advised.

Ebay used to be like that, but that is ancient history. Anyone bidding on ebay these days on ANYTHING into 3 figures needs to see a psychiatrist, as a general comment.

For $5 topical sets, or lower priced postal history or FDC etc, it is a great resource, but when it gets to serious stamps, being sold by other than dealers in trade bodies you have recourse from, you really are buying that "Genuine Rolex" more and more often.

If YOU are ripped off with regums, forgeries or repairs and rampant shill bidding - ebay DOES NOT CARE anymore.

GlenStephens

Post by GlenStephens »

As Paul notes above, faster that one can type "Something smells in Denmark" the identical $3 stamp is listed again -

https://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&_trksid=p4340.l2565&rt=nc&item=180912751280

And our $3950 "buyer" is madly shilling it all over again. He is only up to $1250 now .. what a BARGAIN.

If this thread is not a warning to ANYONE bidding on "MUH" on ebay, they really are truly gullible.

"winter-storm" offerings of near all "Fresh MUH" 100 year old stamps have the look of the much banned "Marys-gems" cartel to me.

Check the current listings -

https://stores.ebay.com/Winter-Storm?_trksid=p4340.l2563

traralgon3844
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by traralgon3844 »

m***d is: brdomrdo

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=brdomrdo&ftab=AllFeedback

You might try to match any of his purchases to items sold by winter-storm.
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

traralgon3844

Post by traralgon3844 »

HA

When I checked the finished listing, what do you think popped up as a suggestion from eBay. The same stamp. That long perf tip at the top right really gives it away.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

GlenStephens

Post by GlenStephens »

DO keep up Paul .. you will never make a policeman that much is certain . :) :lol:

The re-listing and same shill bidder reported twice above. :mrgreen:

traralgon3844

Post by traralgon3844 »

I did read that, it was just a quirky happy coincidence for the re-listed stamp to appear on the one page.

traderpaul

Post by traderpaul »

Heres another relisting!

A mint 3d Beaver listed as SG #1 and sold June 10

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Canada-SG-No-1-Cat-Value-42-000-/180896841867

I don't see the laid paper lines on this. Also, the paper looks overly white which makes me think this was a used stamp with the cancel removed and some gum added.

The seller relists the same stamp on June 24th this time as SG #7 (wove paper)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Canada-SG-No-7-Cat-Value-4000-/180912751297

Only a 2 week turnaround between the original sale and the relisting. Probably another shill bid winner for the original listing, though its possible someone informed the seller that it was the wrong stamp before he shipped?!

CASACUDOR
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by CASACUDOR »

In June, the seller winter-storm bought on ebay mint US stamps paying more than 800 US$ see his feedback as buyer

... In April he (she) bought some shorts for children, perhaps other business :lol:

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&user ... ackAsBuyer
CASACUDOR

winters
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by winters »

Paul: someone sent me this link anonymously and I will respond to your very serious allegation.

The buyer of the $3 jubilee contacted me after the sale to say he put an extra digit on his bid by mistake and he paid for his other lots.

I was annoyed to say the least but these things happen so I cancelled the transaction and relisted.He si free to bid again and he is not a shillbidder as you state.

The sg 7 imperf is a different situation, I added notes to the listing that the buyer did not see so he asked to cancel and I have relisted.

Again,nothing to do with shillbidding or anything else and these stamps are not regummed - what evidence do you have for that?

Please post your email address and i will copy you on the emails from the buyer of the $3 jub that explain all.

muruk
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by muruk »

Winters, first, welcome aboard, and thank you for your explanation.

There are many long discussions on this board about fraudulent internet sellers.

It has been well established that the various auction website managers and policing authorities are not prepared or are not capable of doing anything about this (exception of Delcampe).

The only defence collectors have is our own vigilance. And in this, we must err on the side of caution.

Paul was right to share his suspicions ... and that's all he did. If you can pass Stampboards scrutiny, that's a big plus for you. Treat this as an audit, give yourself a commendation if or when you pass. :D
Last edited by muruk on 30 Jun 2012 13:41, edited 1 time in total.
A man might as well marry ... if he finds a good wife he will be happy ... if not, he will become a philosopher.
Collecting Greater New Guinea & Macropods (Kangaroos & Wallabies).

traderpaul

Post by traderpaul »

Hi Winters

Thank you for joining up here at Stampboards to respond to my allegations.

As we all know I would have to see that $3 Jubilee "in the flesh" to be conclusive, but from viewing your scan the perforation tips, especially along the top, are saturated which is a classic sign of regumming.
ImageImage

The colour and texture of the gum does not look correct to me either. Also, the gum on this stamp is uniform with the other high value NH stamps you are offering. While there would be more uniformity with more modern issues stamps from the late 1800's and early 1900's show a wider range of colour and texture. I find it odd that all of your NH stamps appear the same from the gum side.

Another reason I suspect your high value stamps are regums is that the low value stamps you have offered are in general hinged and/or have other faults but your high value items are VFNH. For example you sold a complete set of the Canada Edward VII issue on June 10, all individual items.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Canada-SG-No-174-Cat-Value-45-/180896840668

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Canada-SG-No-177-Cat-Value-35-/180900722984

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Canada-SG-No-187-Cat-Value-660-/180896840642

This pattern of low values faulty/hinged and high values VFNH runs completely counter to my experience handling stamp collections.

Thirdly, the high value Canadian stamps you have offered or are currently offering (3d Beaver, $ value Jubilees, high value Quebec, 20c and 50c Edward VII) are all stamps that are highly sought after and in VF NH condition would normally be sold with a certificate from a reputable expertiser. Ideally the Vincent Greene Foundation (for Canadian stamps) https://www.greenefoundation.ca/. The fact you have appeared on eBay offering this material without providing any credentials whatsoever should set off alarm bells with any experienced Canada collector.

It is for the above reasons that I started this thread here on Stampboards.

With regards to the SG7 (3d beaver, wove paper) that you are currently offering
my opinion is that it was a used stamp with a cleaned postmark or light pen cancel with gum added. The paper is too white which indicates to me that the stamp has gone through some sort of bleaching process. Again, my opinion is based only on the scan in your listing. You have offered no indication of authenticity in your listing and for a genuine stamp with original gum from this era a certificate is a must.

In your original listing that ended June 10, you offered this stamp as SG 1, laid paper.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Canada-SG-No-1-Cat-Value-42-000-/180896841867
At the bottom of the listing you fielded a couple of questions regarding the stamp and you admitted not knowing the difference between laid and wove paper!

If you don't know the difference between laid and wove paper how can I believe your opinions regarding original gum vs. regum?

Bottom line, get proper certificates for this kind of material before offering it for sale on eBay or anywhere else. It is in your best interest too as you will realise much higher prices and easily recoup the expertisation costs.

I hope I don't sound too harsh and it is possible that you yourself have been duped, but items like you are offering on eBay should be sold with an expertization certificate.

admin
Site Administrator
Location: That's on a need to know basis - and YOU do not need to know!

Post by admin »

winters wrote:
The buyer of the $3 jubilee contacted me after the sale to say he put an extra digit on his bid by mistake and he paid for his other lots.

I was annoyed to say the least but these things happen so I cancelled the transaction and relisted.
Hmmm.

Well my BS meter is still at 9.75 out of 10 on this one.

Assuming we believe this story the obvious next question is - seeing bidder e***n bid madly from $1600 to $3900 the first time, why wasn't he "second chanced" instead of simply re-listing it?

If e***n was anything other than a shill, he'd have jumped at the chance - surely?

I am going to say $3,950 for a stamp with NO cert as to gum, for a $1,850 cat (as NH I presume? - SG is only £1,200) piece is NOT achievable in any real auction on earth, so who on earth would someone offer that to a low feedback seller on ebay of all places?

Maybe because e***n was not a legit bidder either?

This is not an especially brilliant stamp on the face, it does not have perfect perfs or centering, and is NOT something that will get over DOUBLE full cat anywhere.

I notice e***n has not bid on this lot, with only a day to go, AFTER we raised the flag on this one. Hmmmm.

I might be wrong of course, but my instincts are pretty good. :)

The new member "winter" raced over to this thread to post, and ignored the request to confirm their IP to Admin, and ignored the other written request to make their first post in Roll Call - both even more of a red flag if they have nothing to hide.

So I checked the IP. The user's IP checks to the UK and the auction lot says seller is in the USA.

Something smells in Denmark methinks. :idea:

Me, until this is clarified, would not bid on any "winter_storm" 100 year old "never hinged" material in a fit, as my hunch is you find discover they are regummed.

This $3 looks to be re-gummed and indded most of their pricier material is all maically "NEVER HINGED" despite being 100 or so years old. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

"winter-storm" may like to comment on that too.

Admin

Eric Casagrande
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by Eric Casagrande »

Spot on, Glen.

Once the accidental bidding error was discovered ... the seller did not then offer it to the under-bidder for $3,900, which happens all the time in second chance offers, and would have only lost $50 from the mistake.

Instead, he chose to relist the item ... and is now down almost three grand.

If I was about to lose three grand because of an idiot's typing error ... I tell you that I would be more than just 'annoyed to say the least' ... and neither would I blow it off so lightly because 'these things happen'.

traderpaul

Post by traderpaul »

I think the seller did the right thing to not make a 2nd chance offer to the underbidder. Actually, he may have and it was rejected.

The underbidder put in multiple bids from $1600 all the way up to $3900 and when you take out the top bid the sale price would have been $1600 to the underbidder (one increment over the 3rd highest bid).

Now if it was me, I would be very happy to get $1600 for that stamp without a cert.

But seeing as winter-storm believes he has a genuine VFNH stamp he probably thinks he deserves more.

traderpaul

Post by traderpaul »

Follow-up on the mint 3d beaver, SG 7, that is currently listed by winter-storm.

I have been provided with a bit more evidence that this stamp had a pen cancel removed. Looking closely at the scan in the listing you can see two fine bleached-out lines that converge on the body of the beaver with one long diagonal line running up to just right of the crown. I was provided an overlay image of where the pen cancel was placed to assist in discerning the removed cancel.

Again, I must stress that I am only looking at the scan provided in the listing. This new info I have been provided only strengthens my position that this stamp should be submitted to a recognized expertization committee to get conclusive proof of its genuineness.

Fleurieu55
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by Fleurieu55 »

Hello traderpaul

A terrific piece of detective work done there, it will be very interesting to hear back from winters again!

Machaggis52

Post by Machaggis52 »

GlenStephens wrote:Wow a newbie yellow hat member with 53 feedbacks?

Amazing. Looks very strange. Wonder WHO left them all?

ONLY on ebay could a bunch of clueless idiots bid over DOUBLE the full Cat from a seller with about 100 feedbacks, and no dealer affiliations, for a stamp with ZERO certificate the gum is original.

Absolute bunnies of the very first order - the lot of them.

These deserve all the tears they will experience, when they try to SELL this undoubted cr*p to a real dealer one day. :idea:

Indeed anyone spending over 3 figures for "MUH" on ebay is very likely getting conned, with ZERO recourse once the 3 month ebay return window closes - that is if that seller is still registered - they often are not by that point.

These same dopes would never DREAM of buying a "Genuine Rolex" for $500 at a pub on a Saturday night, so why they cheerfully toss away $1000s down the drain on ebay to the Rolex sellers on there is one of life's mysteries.

These days ebay actively endorses and encourages shill bidding. They do nothing about it even when they are aware of it, as they MAKE MORE MONEY from shill bidding.

The only losers are the genius bidders.

This is WHY ebay stamp turnover is down 28% this year - their 2nd lowest category performer. Buyers are heading in droves to places like Delcampe where fakers and shillers and forgers ARE removed when owners are advised.

Ebay used to be like that, but that is ancient history. Anyone bidding on ebay these days on ANYTHING into 3 figures needs to see a psychiatrist, as a general comment.

For $5 topical sets, or lower priced postal history or FDC etc, it is a great resource, but when it gets to serious stamps, being sold by other than dealers in trade bodies you have recourse from, you really are buying that "Genuine Rolex" more and more often.

If YOU are ripped off with regums, forgeries or repairs and rampant shill bidding - ebay DOES NOT CARE anymore.
I agree wholeheartedly with what you say, and would not buy high value singles from EBay without a cert.

There is a problem though. Buying from a dealer is often much more expensive than EBay. I'm at the point with Germany Empire/Reich that the only items I don't have, I never will have. I will not take a chance on EBay, and can't afford dealer prices. :(

Any Germany aficionados like to guess what is missing? :D
With kind regards, Jim

Machaggis52

Post by Machaggis52 »

traderpaul wrote:Follow-up on the mint 3d beaver, SG 7, that is currently listed by winter-storm.

I have been provided with a bit more evidence that this stamp had a pen cancel removed. Looking closely at the scan in the listing you can see two fine bleached-out lines that converge on the body of the beaver with one long diagonal line running up to just right of the crown. I was provided an overlay image of where the pen cancel was placed to assist in discerning the removed cancel.

Again, I must stress that I am only looking at the scan provided in the listing. This new info I have been provided only strengthens my position that this stamp should be submitted to a recognized expertization committee to get conclusive proof of its genuineness.
That dark blob toppish centre looks hellish like a hinge mark. It is the right shape at least.
With kind regards, Jim

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

Machaggis52 wrote:That dark blob toppish centre looks hellish like a hinge mark. It is the right shape at least.
Take a used stamp, bleach out the cancel, regum the back, then apply a hinge so that no "how can a 150-year-old stamp be UM?" suspicions are raised. :?:
Collecting Mongolia; Thailand; Indo-China; Mourning Covers; OHMS.

ebayer

Post by ebayer »

There may well be a connection to this winter-storm seller who now seems to have moved to the UK and marys-gems etc Bristol regum cartel who have had dozen's of accounts NARU by ebay -

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=17774&start=250

robotphillytelic

Post by robotphillytelic »

It has been since early summer we saw ebay items offered by winter-storm.

Back from an exotic vacation? If so, no doubt financed by all those naive bunnies munching up all those delectable re-gummed and re-perfs.
Here are his latest batch of bunnilicious offerings of early Canada:

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/Canada-/3478/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A ... op=1&_sc=1

This is a fabulous opportunity for a workshop on the topic of master amateur re-gumming and re-perforating. How about it all of you stampboards members out there? This crook is as transparent as his cheap gum. Get involved-- you might be shocked. In any event you will learn much here!!

Contest challenge! Time until ebay NARU for winter-storm: My guess is 73 hours 22 minutes!!! it is now 3:55pm EDT Monday Aug 27 (New York USA/Ottawa Canada time)

robotphillytelic

xx

doubleheads1947 wrote:Marys-gems is back.

Now trading as winter-storm on eBay.

Modus operandi is exactly the same as before - some items priced way over catalogue and others listed at $0.99, but lots of shill bidding to push up those prices.
The Rhodesia high values are pretty much all suspect. This currently listed one is re-perforated for sure:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Rhodesia-SG-No-166-Cat-Value-2150-/18 ... 426wt_1397
ImageImage

winterstorm originally had this sold for $2745.50 on july 15 2012:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Rhodesia-SG-No-166-Cat-Value-2150-/18 ... 447wt_1139

The first time he listed it and sold it july 15, in the description he says:

'Stanley Gibbons No. 166 - Rhodesia 1910-13 £1 Rose-Scarlet & Bluish-Black
Condition : Never Hinged
2011 Catalogue Value : $2150
Outstanding color and preservation. Amongst the nicest Double Head £1's I have ever handled.'

So the Bunny who bid $2745.50 wasn't to be taken and was too much a complacent coward to give accurate feedback!

Mr winter-storm is a very confused man about his gems . (or is it voluptuous Ms Mary??) The first time he sells it he calls it 'never hinged' and then the second time he calls it very lightly hinged. quote from his current description:

'Stanley Gibbons No. 166 - Rhodesia 1910-13 £1 Rose-scarlet & bluish-black
Condition : Very Lightly Hinged
Outstanding color and preservation.'

What he fails to admit, & which no doubt the cowardly buyer who originally found out, is that this stamp is very significantly re-perforated along the top edge. Some might call it 'perforations enhanced' which is what a friendly certificate issuing expertiser might call it.

Online stamp evaluators have a great tool to assess re-perforating. Graphics and photoediting Programs such as Photoshop give us the tools to flip and compare. Here is an accurate overlay of each side, overlaid side to side to the same edge.

Looking at this, does anyone out there doubt for 1 second that the top edge of this stamp and the left edge is not re-perforated? The bottom and right are what we would expect. These look OK.

Here is the back. The top perfs to top perfs are compared only:

What these re-gumming crooks do is take a heavily hinged stamp , dissolve the local gum and reblend it (and enhance the gum by adding as required also)

Often the heavy hinge remnant would be right along the top perfs leaving the gum enhancing crook with a problem: How to make those perfs look unsaturated with the new gum. His solution: 'Enhance' the perfs by trimming them back, even re-perforating a whole edge by taking off a fraction of a millimeter or more. This takes care of thinned and short perfs also.

As many experienced dealers & collectors know, many old stamps that were hinged in old time albums, have been damaged along the top. The top perfs are usually the most vulnerable and most likely to be found with some damage on the gummed side.

If one looks closely at winter-storm's ebay offerings you will see that most of the higher value Rhodesia and Canada stamps have been altered in this way.

robotphillytelic

More information about this crook and his high value Rhodesia stamps can be found in this other stampboards thread entitled:
Suspicious eBay listings. golden-hoarde & marys-gems etc

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=17774&start=250

robotphillytelic

Re: Suspicious eBay listings. golden-hoarde & marys-gems etc

Last week winter-storm sold this misrepresented altered stamp Falkland islands SG#136:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Falkland-Islands-SG-No-136-Cat-Value- ... 553wt_1397

ImageImage

$964.10 august 19. Another day another bunny. This one is RE-PERFED along the top. Likely a hinge removed or hingemark blended.

Collage made with actual ebay image:

Gum side:

The holes made by the horizontal perf pins are larger than the vertical perfs and this may be the case. However does anyone out there believe the top perfs are not enhanced or substantially repaired? Any British Colonies Bradbury Wilkinson specialists out there care to comment?

Value of this stamp? Maybe the same or less than a Heavily Hinged one(stamp with with a giant remnant) Only some idiot bunny would pay a huge premium for bogus NH.

Another FRAUD indicator that points to Mary's gems-like BS here: winter-storm supposedly hails from the UK and uses SG cat numbers! But he uses North American terminology!! hey winters - If you want to masquerade as a true brit - the correct term is 'UNMOUNTED'

Winters we all hope you come back on to the forum- your one post on the winter-storm thread left us hanging. Your one contribution from your namesake thread:
https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=38353

His profile page says SWINDON UK as his location. :roll: :lol:

https://www.stampboards.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=11084
winters wrote:Paul: someone sent me this link anonymously and I will respond to your very serious allegation.

I was annoyed to say the least but these things happen so I cancelled the transaction and relisted.He si free to bid again and he is not a shillbidder as you state.

The sg 7 imperf is a different situation, I added notes to the listing that the buyer did not see so he asked to cancel and I have relisted.

Again,nothing to do with shillbidding or anything else and these stamps are not regummed - what evidence do you have for that?

Please post your email address and i will copy you on the emails from the buyer of the $3 jub that explain all.
That being said -why don't one of you cowardly bunnies who've dealt with this guy and returned the bogus CRAP come on here and shed some light on where he is from, who he is, and.... why you are so coward to leave genuine feedback?.

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

Nice work, robot. I noticed that perf hole above the L on the 5/- even before seeing your Photoshop work, the hole goes deeper than the others in the row.

Often Bunnies don't realize they've been taken in...then discover it, or their heirs do, years later when it comes time to sell. :?

Keep up the good work. 8)
Collecting Mongolia; Thailand; Indo-China; Mourning Covers; OHMS.

doubleheads1947

Post by doubleheads1947 »

Some really good detective work - your photoshop skills are a lot better than mine. I should mention that some time ago I was taken by Marys-gems. I purchased a 7/6 UM Rhodesian Admiral at way too high a figure (lots of shill-bidding pushed up the price and I was stupid enough not to realize this).

When I received it I showed it to a local expert who immediately identified it as being re-gummed. I returned the item by registered post after contacting the seller who agreed to its return. It was posted to an address in the UK.

After about a month I had not received a refund and contacted this seller who said "she" had not received it. Paypal was not particularly interested in my problem so I contacted my bank's Credit card division who reversed the transaction.

Since then, whenever this seller re-appears with a different name, I am blocked from bidding on their items. This is a sure sign that they are the same syndicate as the original Marys-gems as no other seller has ever had cause to block me.

I must also add that I gave negative feedback on this transaction but somehow the seller managed to have this removed by eBay without my permission.

winters

Post by winters »

robotphillytelic wrote:

Now trading as winter-storm on eBay.

Modus operandi is exactly the same as before - some items priced way over catalogue and others listed at $0.99, but lots of shill bidding to push up those prices.
The Rhodesia high values are pretty much all suspect. This currently listed one is re-perforated for sure:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Rhodesia-SG-No-166-Cat-Value-2150-/18 ... 426wt_1397
ImageImage

winterstorm originally had this sold for $2745.50 on july 15 2012:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Rhodesia-SG-No-166-Cat-Value-2150-/18 ... 447wt_1139

The first time he listed it and sold it july 15, in the description he says:

'Stanley Gibbons No. 166 - Rhodesia 1910-13 £1 Rose-Scarlet & Bluish-Black
Condition : Never Hinged
Outstanding color and preservation. Amongst the nicest Double Head £1's I have ever handled.'

So the Bunny who bid $2745.50 wasn't to be taken and was too much a complacent coward to give accurate feedback!

Mr winter-storm is a very confused man about his gems . (or is it voluptuous Ms Mary??) The first time he sells it he calls it 'never hinged' and then the second time he calls it very lightly hinged. quote from his current description:

'Stanley Gibbons No. 166 - Rhodesia 1910-13 £1 Rose-scarlet & bluish-black
Condition : Very Lightly Hinged
Outstanding color and preservation.'

What he fails to admit, & which no doubt the cowardly buyer who originally found out, is that this stamp is very significantly re-perforated along the top edge. Some might call it 'perforations enhanced' which is what a friendly certificate issuing expertiser might call it.

Online stamp evaluators have a great tool to assess re-perforating. Graphics and photoediting Programs such as Photoshop give us the tools to flip and compare. Here is an accurate overlay of each side, overlaid side to side to the same edge.

Looking at this, does anyone out there doubt for 1 second that the top edge of this stamp and the left edge is not re-perforated? The bottom and right are what we would expect. These look OK.

Here is the back. The top perfs to top perfs are compared only:

What these re-gumming crooks do is take a heavily hinged stamp , dissolve the local gum and reblend it (and enhance the gum by adding as required also)

Often the heavy hinge remnant would be right along the top perfs leaving the gum enhancing crook with a problem: How to make those perfs look unsaturated with the new gum. His solution: 'Enhance' the perfs by trimming them back, even re-perforating a whole edge by taking off a fraction of a millimeter or more. This takes care of thinned and short perfs also.

As many experienced dealers & collectors know, many old stamps that were hinged in old time albums, have been damaged along the top. The top perfs are usually the most vulnerable and most likely to be found with some damage on the gummed side.

If one looks closely at winter-storm's ebay offerings you will see that most of the higher value Rhodesia and Canada stamps have been altered in this way.
robotphillytelic: I have read through your very thorough analysis. Clearly the work of an experienced dealer and online stamp evaluator. It is most impressive, particularly the wonderful photoshop perforation comparisons.

Only one problem: Your conclusions are wrong. If you care to purchase this stamp I will provide you with its full provenance. You are at liberty to post the details here.

If you submit it to the BPA and it is described as regummed, reperforated or perforations enhanced I will refund you in full and you may keep the stamp.

If you are satisfied with provenance and certificate result, will you agree to post a full retraction and apology?

Or are YOU a coward?

GlenStephens

Post by GlenStephens »

I must say I could see nothing amiss with the £1 Double Head, and personally cannot see any evidence of re-perforating at top. And if asked would say it most likely had not been, IMHO.

If I am following the posts correctly "winter-storm" offered it as MUH, and is now offering it as light hinged.

It looks light hinged to me, and the gum in scan appears otherwise original.

One assumes the first "buyer" did not pay when they decided it was hinged.

I can see minor tone specks in the area the hinge once was (see letter N for best example) - it is 100 years old so no big surprise there. Re-gumming would have wiped those, and the very fine 'crazing' would not be there if regummed.

Stamp has strong original colour, again pointing to it not being washed and regummed.

So I cannot see on that stamp, there is anything other than what it is offered at.

However "doubleheads1947" seems to state he has been blocked as a bidder, and if he confirms that is the case, that certainly appears to point at this seller being yet another incarnation of Marys-gems etc.

"winter-storm" has never made a post on the 'Roll Call' thread as all new members are advised in writing they must do, and not confirmed their email address as they are also told they must also do.

So those 2 things alone point to them being someone with something to hide, I'd have to say.

I am not 100% convinced to be honest that "winter-storm" is connected with the Marys Gems re-gum cartel, of dozens of banned ebay handles, but time will tell I am sure. :idea:

Most of his higher value Double Heads offered appear to be hinged on the quick look I just had -

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/winter-storm/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

However I'd bet the house THIS $3 Canada is regummed, or has more likely had a hinge "sweated" off in the past, and it is being offered as MUH right now. And has 10 bids already. :twisted:

I can see precisely where that hinge once was.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Canada-SG-No-138-Cat-Value-1760-/ ... 2a21f90b5d
Glen

GlenStephens

Post by GlenStephens »

Gum is original, previously hinged - that much I am confident of.

Now I look at it closer, the (from this side) the top left hand perf hole at top is not right, nor are the 3 at lower right.

traderpaul

eBay Seller 0det / winter-storm Selling Regummed U.S. Stamps

Post by traderpaul »

New eBay seller 0det has been selling a number of regummed or altered gum U.S. stamps over the past few months. He was registered in Canada April 10, 2012 but his listings indicate item location is in the U.S.

The modus operandi is similar to other scam operations uncovered on Stampboards.

Material is bought in one account, altered, then resold in another account.

This time around 0det is selling altered U.S. stamps that were previously purchased by eBay seller winter-storm, whose own offerings have been exposed as suspicious (at the very least) on another thread -

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=38353

Take a look at this U.S. #C6, eBay item #170897250247, stated to be NH, sold by 0det Aug 26
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Scott-No-C6-full-O-G-Never-Hinged-condition-/170897250247

ImageImage

On June 24th, winter-storm bought this stamp only it was hinged, eBay item #320928045181
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/320928045181

ImageImage

0det offered this mint #340 as NH, eBay item # closing on Aug 26th, but it didn't sell

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Scott-No-340-full-O-G-Never-Hinged-condition-/180954076988

ImageImage

winter-storm bought the stamp on eBay June 24th, a LH stamp, eBay item #221049623754
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/221049623754

GlenStephens

Re: eBay Seller 0det / winter-storm Selling Regummed U.S. St

Post by GlenStephens »

Agree the 15c are same stamps, and probably the air.

How do they get from winter-storm to 0det do we know?

traderpaul

Post by traderpaul »

Hi Glen,

For all I know they could be the same person. winter-storm was listing item location as the U.S. too earlier this year.

traderpaul

Post by traderpaul »

Here is another one

0det sells this U.S. #153 on Aug 26th eBay item #180955469823
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Scott-No-153-some-O-G-and-hinge-remnants-/180955469823

ImageImage

On July 29, 2012 winter-storm purchased eBay item #251114562443, described as No Gum!
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/251114562443

traderpaul

Post by traderpaul »

How about this one!

0det sells this #116 mint full O.G., eBay item #170897253438
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Scott-No-116-full-O-G-and-some-light-signs-hinging-/170897253438

ImageImage

The stamp was purchased July 1 by winter-storm with an APS cert stating it is "unused, regummed, toned left corner", eBay item#330754434997
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/330754434997

robotphillytelic

GlenStephens wrote:
However I'd bet the house THIS $3 Canada is regummed, or has more likely had a hinge "sweated" off in the past, and it is being offered as MUH right now. And has 10 bids already. :twisted:

I can see precisely where that hinge once was.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Canada-SG-No-138-Cat-Value-1760-/ ... 2a21f90b5d
Glen
Absolutely no question that this stamp has very significantly altered original gum -your observations about this $3 jub are spot on Glen. Every experienced BNA stamp dealer in Canada would agree.

In this view of the back the lower right area and top center area the gum is altered and enhanced for sure. The top area is most certainly a 'sweated off' hinge remnant.

The second image the lines point to some of the obvious 'gum saturated paper edges' The green dots are adjacent to the some of the more obvious 're-cut' perf holes (gum enhancers/regummers do this to remove the gum-saturated edges) The whole right side is somewhat suspect.

ImageImage

This stamp is IN FACT 100% being misrepresented by Winters. He has PROVEN himself on this forum alone as being either one or other of the following:

1) Uneducated about Canada stamps, + obviously ignorant about grading of ALL stamps + inexperienced.

OR

2) experienced in philatelic crookedness & INTENTIONAL in his deceit to RIP off stamp collectors. He is providing better than average pics here at least which will keep the experienced collectors away but enticing the bunnies who 'Trust' his word description.

All the evidence points to the latter with my long experience as a professional philatelist.

That the $3 jub back has gum altered and enhanced is a FACT. It is unlikely you will find ANY experienced dealer (even less experienced ones) in Canadian stamps that would not agree.

It is very well known to Canadian stamp dealers that a state of altered gum is something to watch out for. We especially watch the period Small queens scott #34 to the Admiral period ending with Scott #140. The altered gum for this period involves primarily the sweating/removal of stamp hinges + enhancing and altering the gum that results from hinge removal.

Those of us with long experience as dealers are so familiar with the gum characteristics (texture colour sheen etc) of the stamps manufactured in this period. High value stamps of this period with original gum that has been altered ABOUND (hinge remnants removed /hinge marks blended)

Altered and enhanced gum is especially prevalent for the 1897 Jubilees higher values #50, 55, 57-65; small queens all values but notably #40, 45, 46, 47; Edwards 10, 20, 50 cents (sc#93-5); QV leaf and Numeral all values, but notably 8 cents 10cents, 20cents 1898 (sc#72,73,82,83,84); 1908 Quebecs (#100-103); higher value admirals esp 5cents blue, 7c straw, 7c sage green, 10c plum, 20c all printings, 50c black brown all printings, $1 ( sc# 111, 113a, 113b,116, 119, 120, 122)

For the earlier periods, Pence, 1859 cents, & the large queens up to scott #28: NH stamps are so rare that they are almost non-existent. Few would disagree that 95 or 99% of all the Large queens offered as 'mint' on the market are either significantly heavily hinged/gum disturbed or re-gummed. Among the remaining 1% to 5% are the decent full original gum LH and the rare NH.

Collectors should be very very very cautious when considering any sort of a premium for NH stamps for Canada scott #28 or earlier.

For the early Canada a good rule of thumb is this: ALWAYS ASSUME that any Canada Large Queens stamp offerred as ' Mint NH' is NOT NH + of course always question ‘original gum’ claims. It is likely 60-75% of all large queens (other than the 15 cents) being offered mint/unused anywhere, are more or less re-gummed or have only very partial original gum.

This ‘IS NOT NH’ assumption for Large Queens will be correct at least 95% of the time. The only exception to the 95% rule is perhaps the offerings of the handful of major floor auctions (most do tend to accurately grade) which are primarily located in Canada, California & New York. The major experienced dealers of Canada BNA: again the there are just a handful of very experienced dealers.

Large Queens and earlier: these stamps are rare – a tiny fraction, if any, of the unused/mint large queens offered in any given major floor auction or dealer’s stock will be NH.

Does anyone think the offerings on ebay which regularly feature ‘MNH’ large queens is any different? The above assumption should extend to 99-100% for any Canada Large Queen offered by winter-storm It all looks very very suspect.

In Canada most trustworthy dealers will be members of the CSDA- but that is no guarantee online or off-line. There indeed are a few CSDA members (not to even mention ASDA!) who do not know their early Canada and could use a refresher course in 'stamp grading 101' or 'ethics 101'

A further caveat: For Large queens stamps and earlier, offered as mint/ unused or legitimately re-gummed the #1 grading rule: ALWAYS check under ultraviolet light for a faded or chemically removed pen cancel. This is usually an X in the centre of the stamp- and don’t expect it to jump out at you like fluorescent tagging. It may be subtle or very obvious.

‘Pencancel removed’ make up a significant percentage of early Canada stamps which are regularly offered as Mint/Unused. These stamps abound just as in early USA material. In Canada it was normal for many pre-1875 Canada smaller post offices to use a pen for cancelling. While almost all Canada post offices were issued a postmark hammer dater, many smaller ones did not have obliterators and it was against PO guidelines to use the dater for cancelling.

In short: if one is really seeking ‘NH’ for early Canada you are entering a minefield populated by many deceptive dealers who will blow out your wallet. :twisted: :lol: :(

traderpaul

Post by traderpaul »

Another one

0det sale on Aug 26, #407 and NH, eBay item #180954076809
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Scott-No-407-full-O-G-Never-Hinged-condition-/180954076809

ImageImage

winter-storm purchased the stamp as hinged on June 23, eBay item #261047103499
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/261047103499

traderpaul

Post by traderpaul »

GlenStephens wrote:How do they get from winter-storm to 0det do we know?
You got me thinking Glen.

the #153 was purchased by winter-storm on July 29 and then sold by 0det on Aug 26.

Give it a week for the stamp to be mailed to winter-storm, so he gets it Aug 5.

Then gum was added and listed by 0det on Aug 19. I think it's a good possibility it's one person or a small group operating out of one location.

ebayer

Post by ebayer »

Yes they all look to be identical stamps, and the time frame seems to point to both accounts being the same person.

The USA dealer/collector group who looks at such things offered on ebay is contactable here - http://www.ebay.com/scw - there is space for 10,000 characters in your reply, so all the relevant info can be added.

I suggest several folks contact them now, and both accounts may well get cancelled for working together to regum and knowingly misdescribe these pieces at vast profits.

Also the buyers of these dogs will be evident via ebay feedback. :)

A short note to buyers along these lines will possibly see them seek refunds -

========

A discreet note re the stamp you recently purchased - you really should check this discussion - www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=39577 - please do not mention me in any way, and my apologies for bothering you - just thought you'd like to know as you appear to be the buyer.

It is all "People Power" - this way the seller gets ebay AND the buyers on his case. Keeping the stamp market cleaner than otherwise.

robotphillytelic

Looking more like an organized ring now.

Crossover with winter-storm's and 0det's shill bidders too. Check out 0det's july shill bidders on USA unused 19th century with winter-storm's recent Rhodesia and Falklands. None ever leaves feedback when item 'won' nor apparently completes the transaction!

A number of USA $1000 to $2500 items sold by 0det on july 15 were again resold by 0det on Aug 19. The shill-bidding winner of 0det's USA scott#141 with cert [at] $2,410.02 on July 15 bid again on the exact same re-listed stamp August 19th and on this winter-storm re-perfed Falklands SG#136 on the same day:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4 ... 0948336273
ImageImage
Shill-bidder's recent activity linked to above stamp:
https://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidderProfile&mode=1&item=180948336273

Same shill-bidder's activity linked to the usa stamp of July15:
https://offer.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidderProfile&mode=1&item=170873339839

We see 0det uses APS American Philatelic society and BNAPS advertising logos. Should be possible for those groups to verify authorized use status of these logos.

jjarmstrong47

Post by jjarmstrong47 »

This is good spotting. I have sent my complaint to ebay and will post any reply.
Where do the years go? I went from philandering to philately and didn't even notice.
http://www.engravedstamps.net

robotphillytelic

Good news. Since yesterday Ebay has REMOVED 3 of the 4 completed listings shown above that were sold by 0det.

This coward has also made his feedback PRIVATE in the past few hours. He has also removed the self hosted images of the backs for all recently completed listings.

A quick check of many of his USA completed listings reveal very suspicious altered stamps and MIS DESCRIBED stamps. Both re-gummed and re-perforated, and otherwise falsely represented.

The is the norm for his most high value stamps rather than the exception.
Completed listings:

https://www.ebay.ca/csc/0det/m.html?rt=nc&LH_Complete=1&_fln=1&_trksid=p3911.c0.m283

Many of his 'winning' bidders were from his stable of SHILLS however there are some legitimate bidders of $500 to $2500 items who have been duped with fake altered items.

Notice the 2 different #293 $2 transmississippi issues which were both sold to the shills on July 15 and then re-sold after being bid up by the shills on August 19!

The lower price one is OBVIOUSLY reperforated and the more expensive one is misrepresented (99% certainty it is perforation enhanced and gum altered stamp) Notice how this seller intentionally keeps his images so small in a flagrant attempt to avoid scrutiny!!

How about this freak #404 panpacific? How on earth did such a joke of a stamp go from listed-to-sold without being reported and removed by ebay!!!! :o

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Tremendous-Scott-No-404-full-O-G-Neve ... 530wt_1397

about as crude as they come.

Likely a re-perforated and re-gummed 400A (the much more common perf 12 of this design) Some bunny who was bid up by the shills, paid $610 :shock: and left positive feedback!!. :? :oops: :( What he owns is merely a curiousity worth about 5 pesos!!

Hopefully for the good of the hobby someone can reach him so he can do a chargeback on his creditcard if paypal won't help.
Last edited by robotphillytelic on 30 Aug 2012 09:05, edited 2 times in total.

David Benson
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by David Benson »

I notice that he is a member of the APS, has anyone reported him as they support a code of ethics by their members,

David B.

robotphillytelic

winters wrote:
robotphillytelic wrote:

robotphillytelic: I have read through your very thorough analysis. Clearly the work of an experienced dealer and online stamp evaluator. It is most impressive, particularly the wonderful photoshop perforation comparisons.

Only one problem: Your conclusions are wrong. If you care to purchase this stamp I will provide you with its full provenance. You are at liberty to post the details here.

If you submit it to the BPA and it is described as regummed, reperforated or perforations enhanced I will refund you in full and you may keep the stamp.

If you are satisfied with provenance and certificate result, will you agree to post a full retraction and apology?

Or are YOU a coward?
A very inconvenient proposition indeed! You are suggesting that I tie up a couple of thousand dollars with this fraudulently represented stamp trusting that i will see the money again?

My stated conclusions are thoroughly correct and only just the tip of the iceberg of what is known.

Essentially what you are suggesting here is that throwing a bag of money off a cliff is a brave thing to do! :roll: :lol:

A whole lot of your current 'watchers' are aware that 95% of your Canada mint being offered here is total regummed reperfed CRAP.

In any case we are quite certain you will be winter-storm Ex of ebay by Friday afternoon. My own guess is 4pm EDT Ottawa/New York time Thursday August 30.

Enough of this BS about being located in the UK! We Know you are based in Canada.

robotphillytelic

Here are some obvious altered/misrepresented stamps winters has currently on offer.

Hopefully enough STAMPBOARDS members will do some reporting, unless of course 'winters' can offer some real 'PROVENANCE' for each :lol: : (this guy is exhausting :| )

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Canada-SG-No-134-Cat-Value-256-/1809 ... 2a21f8f6d2
ImageImage
Expertising certificate would state: 'Genuine scott no 60 with disturbed/enhanced original gum, hinge remnant removed'

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Canada-SG-No-121-Cat-Value-96-/18095 ... 2a21f8f56f
ImageImage
Expertising certificate would state: 'Genuine Scott no 50 with disturbed/enhanced original gum, hinge remnant removed' perforations enhanced/re-cut at right edge lower 2/3.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Canada-SG-No-57-Cat-Value-880-/18095 ... 2a21f8f445
ImageImage
Expertising certificate would state: Canada Scott no 24 'Genuine without original gum (regummed) reperforated lower 2/3 of left edge top perforations are altered/enhanced.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Canada-SG-No-59-Cat-Value-1760-/1809 ... 2a21f99df4
ImageImage
Expertising certificate would state: Canada Scott no 27 'Genuine without original gum (regummed) completely reperforated left edge.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Canada-SG-No-115-Cat-Value-360-/1809 ... 2a21f90c30
ImageImage
Expertising certificate would state: Canada Scott no 46 'Genuine with disturbed original gum and substantial regumming. Thinned under gum at top. Perforations enhanced/recut at right edge. Damaged worn perforation teeth at top & bottom.

robotphillytelic

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Canada-SG-No-88-Cat-Value-1200-/1809 ... 2a21f8f945
ImageImage
Expertising certificate might state: Canada Scott no 40 'Genuine unused or used without original gum (regummed) enhanced perforations at left and right edges.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Small-holding-of-generally-Fine-cent ... 2a22026960

WOW - a couple of genuine NH stamps here :shock: but very common 1cent and 2 cent jubs easy to get. :( " but wait...Hey look at those 2 treasures! a 10 cent small queen worth $100s and an XF NH 20 cent window weed - i could surely get $300 for that one on my site. :o Maybe no one will notice those two. I'll hold my cards and put in a huge snipe bid at the last second. 8) This seller is crazy to put these in here -he doesn't know what he has here" :wink:

ImageImage

This looks good! the perfs line up nicely on both sides!!

Lets try this...
ImageImage
"WOW :o a rarity!!! :D THE TWO EDGES HAVE DIFFERENT PERFORATION MEASUREMENTS!

...wait this isn't possible -oh no the sides look reperforated! and it is appears to be re-gummed!" :cry:

ImageImage nice sharp perfs and smooth gum ...looks re-perforated at left and top and fully regummed! :cry:

Not only does it appear there is substantial shillbidding happening in this seller's auctions but some skilled salting too!

robotphillytelic

This Canada Registration stamp already has 5 different bidders and winters states that it is NEVER HINGED! How does he know? Why do the bunnies keep believing him? Because he has 100% positive feedback and no dupped bunnie dared leave honest feedback.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Canada-SG-No-R1-Cat-Value-96-/1809585 ... 638wt_1397

ImageImage

A good description would be:
F1: TWO CENT: Orange centered JUMBO bottom margin copy showing most of (Br)itish American Bank Note Co. Montre(al) imprint, UR corner perf missing still fresh, o.g., very fine.
+ Completely RE-PERFORATED along right edge above margin with disturbed altered gum
winters wrote:

Or are YOU a coward?
Winters, If you will support this Canada registration stamp's provenance, and prove my assessment of it is WRONG, I promise to fully apologize to you AND bid $1000 for this stamp.

robotphillytelic

This Canada #63 Jubilee already has 9 different bidders.

https://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180958595933#ht_1407wt_1397

Image Image

https://offer.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&_trksid=p4340.l2565&rt=nc&item=180958595933

An accurate description of this stamp should be:
63: -good colour, h.r. and trifle adherence on back, fine.
(h.r.= hinge remnant.) + disturbed altered gum and enhanced perforations at top and bottom

However, somehow, winters has managed to describe it:

Stanley Gibbons No. 138 - Canada 1897 $3 Bistre
Condition : Never Hinged :roll:
2011 Catalogue Value (converted from S.G.) : $1760
Wonderful centering.

robotphillytelic

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Canada-SG-No-15-Cat-Value-16000-/1809 ... 430wt_1397

ImageImage

this Canada 10 pence Cartier already has 8 bidders.

https://offer.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&_trksid=p4340.l2565&rt=nc&item=180958622397

winters himself describes it:

Stanley Gibbons No. 15 - Canada 1852 10d Deep Blue
Condition : Hinged Original Gum
2011 Catalogue Value (converted from S.G.) : $16000
Some faults but an absolutely stunning stamp with 4 excellent margins and part gum.

A more accurate description might be:

7: -used, cleaned, repaired, regummed and rebacked to appear mint with large to jumbo margins, spectacular appearance.

https://www.mareschstamps.com/480/auction.php?Pag=3&SrchWrds= ... 32&InLine=

Image Image

Return to “All Online Stamp Auction related discussion and overview”