The Barbados stamps and covers etc - the wide ranging discussion thread

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

JonEboy
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

The Barbados stamps and covers etc - the wide ranging discussion thread

Post by JonEboy »

I've searched the boards and can't find anywhere a thread that is dedicated to the stamps of Barbados so I thought I would start one here.

The aim is to share some of the knowledge that I have gained over the past couple of years and to post scans of some of the better items that I have. I'm also happy to try and answer questions about the stamps of Barbados is anyone has any?

As a 'starter for ten' I thought I would share with you one of the better items in my collection, which is a cover I bought off Ebay only two months ago. I paid the princely sum of £24.99 which I thought a was a lot for a cover, and I'm sure the seller thought they got a fair price. Here it is.

What originally attracted me to it was that I thought it was an entire from before the first stamp was issued in 1852, but on closer inspection it was from much later, in fact from 1893.

Turns out that the envelope was used internally on the island to send mail to the City but unusually it has the 'Paid at Barbadoes' handstamp on it which was normally used for mail sent from Barbados.

This mark was used between 17th February and 15th March 1893 due to a shortage of ½d stamps on the island and this is stamped Feb 21st 1893 which puts it right at the beginning of this period.

It is coupled with a datemark and bootheel obliterator which was used between August 1893 and February 1902. So, quite a rare cover.

Reading further I find that in Frank Deakin's Barbados, published in 1997 he says...

"I possess two covers of 1893 and 1896 with the black circles which are worth about £100 for a good strike; the red one's are worth £400"

Coincidentally about two weeks after I received the cover I also received an auction catalogue in which there was a picture showing an almost identical cover. It had a starting price of £150. :D :D :D

So there we are, a start into the world of Barbados stamps. I'll try to add to this thread when I have time and more interesting items, especially with a story, and I will endeavour to add on the new issues as well when I get time.

Jon
Barbados, Commonwealth, France & Colonies, GB, Line Engraved, Intaglio & Recess printed stamps
http://www.barbadosstamps.co.uk
MarginBlocks
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
Location: Milledgeville GA (the Antebellum capital 1804-1868)

Re: The Barbados Stamps thread

Post by MarginBlocks »

Barbadian stamps have always been well designed and the country has a conservative issuing policy. Most of my collection is from the 1960s through 1990, at the moment. Definitive series, in particular, have several printings and are on sale for quite some time. You will find not only watermark varieties but also perf changes, paper and minor color shades.

Mark Alan
David Benson

Post by David Benson »

Gibbons state,

During shortages of 1/2d. stamps in 1893 (17 February to 1 March) and of the 1/4d. in 1896 ( 23 January to 4 May) No CC 1 (Crowned Circle, Barbadoes) was utilised struck in Black, Price on cover from 100 Pounds,

David B.
JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

MarginBlocks wrote:Barbadian stamps have always been well designed and the country has a conservative issuing policy. Most of my collection is from the 1960s through 1990, at the moment. Definitive series, in particular, have several printings and are on sale for quite some time. You will find not only watermark varieties but also perf changes, paper and minor color shades.

Mark Alan
Indeed Mark, and the conservative issuing policy was one of the key factors in deciding to collect the country. This year, depending on the success of our Olympic athletes, Royal Mail will need between £150 and £300 just to keep up with new issues (mint and FDC). They come so fast and with eye wateringly high values it just doesn't make sense to collect them any more.

Barbados on the other hand will only issue five sets, Diamond Jubilee, Sir Garfield Sobers 75th birthday, 50th Anniversary of Barbados National Trust, 50th Anniversary of Bridgetown Port/Deepwater harbour and finally Cats. I'm guessing that my $100BBD that I lodged with them last year (about £30GBP) will last the rest of the year....
During shortages of 1/2d. stamps in 1893 (17 February to 1 March) and of the 1/4d. in 1896 ( 23 January to 4 May) No CC 1 (Crowned Circle, Barbadoes) was utilised struck in Black, Price on cover from 100 Pounds,
David,

Thanks for this - in the 2007 catalogue the same wording appears but with a value of £90 so it's gone up in five years at £2 a year! The 'red' referred to above was from Frank Deakins book and that was the same handstamp but in red which was used between 1849 and 1858 to indicate pre paid postage. Now if you spot one of those in the £1 bin at your local dealers pick it up for me as I still haven't found one yet! And as it's not mentioned in Gibbons I'm hoping the dealers will mis categorise it :)

Well, we all live in hope don't we? :lol: :lol:

Jon
Barbados, Commonwealth, France & Colonies, GB, Line Engraved, Intaglio & Recess printed stamps
Safi
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by Safi »

A year back, one of my philatelic friends passed on a Commonwealth lot to me asking me to either buy some of it that I might like and or sell it all for him. Among various other items, I found this stockcard in it filled with an overflowing group of Britannia stamps of Barbados. I kept them for a couple of months, and in this time, thrice I attempted to sit with them with the help of my SG catalogue but I found it so difficult and confusing to identify even 4-5 of the 30+ stamps on the stockcard. Eventually I quit, returning the Britannia stamps to my friend, telling him that I just cannot figure each of them out to be able to price and sell them.

You've got a very good resource site going there on Barbados Jon, wish I had come across it earlier when I had this Britannia lot with me; I especially would have benefitted a lot by the 'Britannia - how to identify' section on the site.

I also like the Blog section there, and hope to have a good time reading through it :)
JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

Safi wrote: Among various other items, I found this stockcard in it filled with an overflowing group of Britannia stamps of Barbados.

I kept them for a couple of months, and in this time, thrice I attempted to sit with them with the help of my SG catalogue but I found it so difficult and confusing to identify even 4-5 of the 30+ stamps on the stockcard.

Eventually I quit, returning the Britannia stamps to my friend, telling him that I just cannot figure each of them out to be able to price and sell them.
Hi Safi,

Thanks for this - it was for precisely this reason that I set up the website. I had sat with my catalogue and pondered for hours over certain stamps, giving up on occasions and then coming back to them time and again, telling myself that someone somewhere would be able to expertise this, so it can't be that hard!

But of course ,as you have discovered, it really is quite tricky to correctly identify the Britannias. Hopefully next time your friend passes you some Britannias you will know where to look for the answers :D

As to the blog, I really must update it soon :oops:

Jon
Belti
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Re: The Barbados stamps and covers discussion thread

Post by Belti »

Well done Jon, a very interesting and informative website.
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer. Bruce Lee
greidp
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by greidp »

Hi Jon
I too congratulate you on starting a very interesting thread - we need more of these. Among several Commonwealth countries I collect is Barbados. I've always admired the medallion sets from QV to KGVI and just completed a mint set of the 1938 issue. Have most of the later material to about 1975 and am now working backwards from 1938. Will watch this thread closely and hope others will join in.
Safi

Post by Safi »

I like this 1950 King George VI Pictorials Set. Especially the 4c Nelson, 8c Schooner and the $1.20 Map. I wonder if the 12c Flying Fish is indigenous to Barbados region and if it occasionally flies over the water in the sea before taking a dive into it or does it actually fly over the land too :lol:
greidp

Post by greidp »

You should google the flying fish - Wikipedia says the flying fish was common in waters around Barbados but is no longer so - having been chased from the area partly by damage to nearby coral reefs resulting from ship pollution. However, it is still common in waters off S. America. Can "fly" about 150 feet, so it is unlikely it will fly over land.

I have been building a mint set of these lovely KGVI stamps; thought I had it all and was preparing to mount it when I discovered I was missing the 60 cent value; looking for it now.
Safi

Post by Safi »

Thanks for that information :)
JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

Safi wrote:I wonder if the 12c Flying Fish is indigenous to Barbados region and if it occasionally flies over the water in the sea before taking a dive into it or does it actually fly over the land too :lol:
Actually it is indigenous and if you take a boat trip from Bridgetown anywhere out round the coastal waters you may be lucky enough to spot them. The fly alongside the boats and flick their wings open with a 'crack' so you can hear them flying as well as see them!
greidp wrote:You should google the flying fish - Wikipedia says the flying fish was common in waters around Barbados but is no longer so - having been chased from the area partly by damage to nearby coral reefs resulting from ship pollution. However, it is still common in waters off S. America. Can "fly" about 150 feet, so it is unlikely it will fly over land.
I'm afraid Wiki is right on this one as they are not as familiar a sight as they once were, although the locals still eat them and call them 'dolphin'!
greidp wrote:I have been building a mint set of these lovely KGVI stamps; thought I had it all and was preparing to mount it when I discovered I was missing the 60 cent value; looking for it now.
And I've just checked my stocks for you - sadly no mint but I do have a full set of FU/VFU for sale on my site, or alternatively I have a couple of filler quality 60 cents if you would like one as a stop gap. I'm happy to let you have one of these two FOC as I won't be selling them and would prefer they went to a good home!

Jon
JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

The very latest stamps from Barbados have arrived today and here they are, as individuals and on the official FDC

10c Gunhill Signal Station
65c The Clock Tower
$2.00 St Mary's Church
$2.75 The Public Library
First Day Cover depicting Arlington House Museum

The set depicts the 50th Anniversary of the Barbados National Trust and Historic Bridgetown and its Garrison.

To reaffirm what I said in an earlier post, the set and FDC cost me $15.65BBD including postage which is approximately £5GBP, and as one of five sets being issued this year it reaffirms Barbados as an 'affordable' country to collect. :D

Jon
gugusg

Post by gugusg »

barbados stamps seems very beautifull and not so numerous.

I found theses stamps in my GF's collection. What do you think I should pay attention to ? (I can make closer scan)

My blog with my French General Colonie Collection : http://phila-colgen.blogspot.fr/
HalfpennyYellow
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by HalfpennyYellow »

Very informative and interesting website. :D

Meanwhile, one of my favourite stamps of Barbados is the 1906 commemorative "The Olive Blossom". This is not an expensive or rare stamp (SG cat. 25p used), but I just love the design and engraving. :)
(JonEboy, I took this image from your website)
JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

gugusg wrote:barbados stamps seems very beautifull and not so numerous.

I found theses stamps in my GF's collection. What do you think I should pay attention to ? (I can make closer scan)

Hi there,

I think your GF has some very nice stamps there although the majority are not that valuable. The best would appear to be as follows:

On page one the very first stamp is a green Britannia and it has a very nice numeral 1 bootheel on it, but what makes this different is that it is the 'thin 1' handstamp which would be of interest to postmark collectors.

On page 2 the bottom right hand stamp is from the GeoVI Victory set which has been known to have a constant flaw, 'two flags on tug' (which you can see on my site) and although I can't see it on your stamp it is worth checking for this flaw. You also have two shades of both the green and red 'Large Seal' definitives which is nice.

On page three the very best stamp of the lot is in the middle of row two, the £2.40 GeoVI top value which is currently catalogues at £38 and although there seems to be a rough perf or two on the top right hand corner it is still a nice stamp.

The thing about Barbados is that you rarely come across heavily cancelled stamps so the collection you have here are all easily identifiable and where they have been cancelled they generally have crisp cancels unlike many other countries who used the 'killers'.

If you wanted to continue the collection then you have a good starting point here - thanks for sharing them with us!

Jon
JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

HalfpennyYellow wrote:Very informative and interesting website. :D

Meanwhile, one of my favourite stamps of Barbados is the 1906 commemorative "The Olive Blossom". This is not an expensive or rare stamp (SG cat. 25p used), but I just love the design and engraving. :)
(JonEboy, I took this image from your website)
Thanks HalfpennyYellow, yes this is a stunning line engraved example. I think I might try and scan a mint copy later and post it here and on the Engraved Stamp Beauties thread as well.

Jon
gugusg

Post by gugusg »

thank you :)

Is there any free ressources online to identify and value theses nice barbados stamps ? :)
My blog with my French General Colonie Collection : http://phila-colgen.blogspot.fr/
JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

gugusg wrote:thank you :)

Is there any free ressources online to identify and value theses nice barbados stamps ? :)
In terms of identifying them then you should be able to do that from my site - they are mostly listed by Stanley Gibbons number although there are one or two not completed yet :oops: . In terms of value, the main resource is Stanley Gibbons but they charge for a subscription. The best way to value them is to find a site that sells them and they should give you the catalogue value as well as the current selling price. For example on my site I have a black SG35 1/- Britannia for sale http://www.barbadosstamps.co.uk/buy-stamps/barbados-stamps/sg35-1-black-2 and if you look you will see that I have put down the current catalogue value (£7) as well as my selling price.

For the Britannia's you can take a look at my guide http://www.barbadosstamps.co.uk/resources/identifying-barbados-britannias but if you still can't nail them down send me a high res scan or put it on this thread and I will do my best to identify them for you.

Regards,

Jon
gugusg

Post by gugusg »

thank you for the link :)

I will try to make a higher scan. For identification some seems very similar but have not the same SG number, maybe a difference I could not see ;)
JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

No problem, sometimes the difference is in the watermark or perforations. Post the scan and I'll do my best to help. :)

Jon
JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

JonEboy wrote:
Thanks HalfpennyYellow, yes this is a stunning line engraved example. I think I might try and scan a mint copy later and post it here and on the Engraved Stamp Beauties thread as well.

Jon
And as promised here it is in its full glory...

This is a MNH copy of the 1906 commemorative stamp depicting the Olive Blossom. The stamp was apparently designed by Lady Carter, wife of the islands' Governor at the time however it is unlikely that the ship actually ever docked in Barbados at the time.

Jon
gugusg

Post by gugusg »

here are the closer scans, but I could not check the watermark yet :)

I will add other scans later, it is only the older :)

greidp

Post by greidp »

JonEboy wrote:
And I've just checked my stocks for you - sadly no mint but I do have a full set of FU/VFU for sale on my site, or alternatively I have a couple of filler quality 60 cents if you would like one as a stop gap. I'm happy to let you have one of these two FOC as I won't be selling them and would prefer they went to a good home!

Jon
I'd be pleased to give a good home to one of those copies. Do you need me to e-mail you an address? I'd be happy to cover the postage!
greidp
JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

Hi gugusg

As far as I can make out these stamps you have are, in order:

Green ½d possibly SG58 (watermark large star - clean perfs) though it may be SG43 (watermark large star - rough perfs)
Blue 1d, probably SG 48 (watermark small star - rough perfs)
Blue 1d, probably SG 48 (watermark small star - rough perfs)
Black 1/- could be one of a three, either SG35 (no watermark, rough perf 14-16), SG47 (watermark large star - rough perfs 14-16) or SG51 (watermark small star - rough perfs)
Green ½d - SG72
Grey Blue 1d - SG 74
Blue 1d - SG66
Dull blue 1d - SG73
Green ½d - SG72
Green ½d - SG72
Grey Blue 1d - SG 74
SG89 or 90
SG90 or 91
SG96
SG104

With some of these the only way to be sure it to check the perfs and to check the watermark, and with the 1882 set showing Victoria, these are straightforward but the shades vary across the ½d and 1d and only a proper colour guide will help. I always assume that they are the cheapest variety unless convinced otherwise.

In terms of value none of them seem to be the more expensive varieties as even if the 1/- black turns out to be the most expensive variety the top value is around £20GBP.

What you do have though is some nice postmarks and a couple of nice used stamps and a good way to start a Barbados collection :D

Thanks for sharing and I hope that I've been able to help you narrow down their catalogue numbers.

Jon
JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

greidp wrote:JonEboy wrote:

Jon
I'd be pleased to give a good home to one of those copies. Do you need me to e-mail you an address? I'd be happy to cover the postage!
greidp
Email sent :D :D
gugusg

Post by gugusg »

thx !

I will have to buy something to see watermark :)
JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

gugusg wrote:thx !

I will have to buy something to see watermark :)
Don't do that just yet, a lot of the watermarks will be easily visible if you know what you are looking for. I'll try and post some examples in the next day or so to give you an idea.

After that if you still can't see them then there are other solutions before spending money :)

Jon
Robert1

Post by Robert1 »

JonEboy wrote:
JonEboy wrote:

Jon
And as promised here it is in its full glory...

This is a MNH copy of the 1906 commemorative stamp depicting the Olive Blossom. The stamp was apparently designed by Lady Carter, wife of the islands' Governor at the time however it is unlikely that the ship actually ever docked in Barbados at the time.

Jon
If I may join the thread and comment on this stamp. What a beautiful stamp! It almost could make me want to collect Barbados! Nice thread Jon and reading and watching with interest.
Warm Regards, Rob, If you have time, please visit my blog: http://sparetimecollector.blogspot.com/
Collecting: Fine Used Australia 1913 - Current | Australian Territories | Hong Kong | Malaya/Malaysia | Straits Settlements
DaveR

Post by DaveR »

Hi Jon.

An interesting thread and website. Browsing around it reminded me of a strange stamp I have -

1925-35 series - 6d purple and a 6d :?: :?: :?: - both have a wmk multi script CA
What's the red one - has me baffled :?: It has a faint cross drawn right across it and was marked in the album "forgery? wrong colour".

Thanks - Dave.
JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

DaveR wrote:Hi Jon.

An interesting thread and website. Browsing around it reminded me of a strange stamp I have -

1925-35 series - 6d purple and a 6d :?: :?: :?: - both have a wmk multi script CA
What's the red one - has me baffled :?: It has a faint cross drawn right across it and was marked in the album "forgery? wrong colour".

Thanks - Dave.
Hi Dave,

Very interesting! I don't believe it to be a forgery, the detail is far too good on it. Having taken a look at the best magnification this laptop will give I think the clue is in the cross.

Stamps that were crossed typically had a blue crayon applied to them and as you can see from your copy this has all but disappeared. I'm sure others on the board will know more about this practice however it's common on a lot of QV GB stamps. From the way the cross now looks and the consistency against the background I'm guessing that what you have here is a stamp that has been bleached by the sun. This appears to have made the cross fade to almost nothing and as a by product so has the stamp.

SG list this as 6d purple and I have never seen any variations on this offered (although I stand to be corrected) so I'm assuming this to be the case. The perfs look right, the engraving right, the centring right for the period, it's only the colour that looks off.

I'd love to be able to tell you that you have a rarity but..... :(

Nice to have in the album though and a lovely shade of carmine!

Jon :D

PS - I'd keep it purely as a novelty! As it looks unused apart from the cross does it still have any gum on the back? If not it could well be used and the cancel faded out as well.
ikanek
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by ikanek »

The stamp is described Revenue and Postage. Such pen cancels - crosses and similar - can indicate revenue use. And as it is the case, many attempts are met with such trial of bleaching out the pen cancel to get generally more valuable mint (unused) stamp. During the attempt to remove the pen cancel also color of the stamp is affected - a change from purple to carmine.

So, I´d keep it as a curio. :D
Lakatoi 4
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Location: First star on the right then straight on till morning ...

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

Here's a censored commercial air mail cover from Bridgetown, Barbados to New York:

Tony
"A cancelled stamp tells part of the story, a cover tells it all"
JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

Lakatoi 4 wrote:Here's a censored commercial air mail cover from Bridgetown, Barbados to New York:

Nice cover and really well ties to the island as is appears that they supply 'ethnic food products' and have done so for over 100 years. https://www.raymondhadley.com/

Checking their site a bit further I can see that they supply Plantain flour and Demerera sugar https://www.raymondhadley.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=44&Itemid=63 both of which are part of the staple diet on the island. Their History page says that they lost the Caribbean business as the islands developed their own economies.

Nice find!

Jon
Lakatoi 4

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

Some covers went to Barbados by mistake (well who wouldn't :D ). This one posted from Dominica was to go to Radio Antilles in Montserrat but somehow went to Barbados:

Tony
JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

Lakatoi 4 wrote:Some covers went to Barbados by mistake (well who wouldn't :D ). This one posted from Dominica was to go to Radio Antilles in Montserrat but somehow went to Barbados:

Now that's one that is worth hanging onto as it is gold dust to Barbados postmark collectors. If I'm reading this correctly it has the 'Missent To Barbados' all on one line but I can't tell how high the figures actually are. In 'Barbados Post Office Markings to 1981' (Clarke, Radford & Cave) they list 8 different marks of which only four are all on one line and of these only two have the correctly shaped letters. From this I'm guessing it's either G11 (letters 3mm high, line 43mm long) or G14 letters 2mm high, line 47m long, although neither of them seem to match exactly.

As G11 was used from 1958 and G14 only has one known use in 1971 then I suspect that what you have there is an unrecorded handstamp. When I say unrecorded, that's not to say that no one has one or has ever seen one, more that it never made it into the 1982 printing of the book and I haven't seen a revised edition since.

Hand onto it as future researchers will be very interested in this one!

Jon
Lakatoi 4

Post by Lakatoi 4 »

Letters are exactly 3mm high and the words are 48.5mm long. Nice info. thanks :D
Tony
JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

Lakatoi 4 wrote:Letters are exactly 3mm high and the words are 48.5mm long. Nice info. thanks :D
In which case it's not in the book....hang onto it! I'll contact the BWISC (British West Indies Study Circle) and see if there are plans to update the book.

Thanks for sharing :D

Jon
DaveR

Post by DaveR »

jon wrote:Very interesting! I don't believe it to be a forgery, the detail is far too good on it. Having taken a look at the best magnification this laptop will give I think the clue is in the cross.
ikanek wrote:The stamp is described Revenue and Postage. Such pen cancels - crosses and similar - can indicate revenue use. And as it is the case, many attempts are met with such trial of bleaching out the pen cancel to get generally more valuable mint (unused) stamp. During the attempt to remove the pen cancel also color of the stamp is affected - a change from purple to carmine.

So, I´ll keep it as a curio. :D
Jon / ikanek

Many thanks for solving the puzzle. There is no gum on the back, it is used.

Back in the album it goes, with an amended annotation :)

Dave.
DaveR

The "Olive Blossom"

Post by DaveR »

Jon wrote: And as promised here it is in its full glory...

Here's an interesting story to go with this stamp - found whilst wandering around wikipedia trying to understand the Caribbean, the Greater & Lesser Antilles and the Windward & Leeward Islands, and all the various British Empire & Commonwealth stamp issues ...

Barbados was initially visited by the Spanish around the late 1400s to early 1500s and first appears on a Spanish map from 1511. The Portuguese visited in 1536, but they too left it unclaimed. The first English ship, the "Olive Blossom", arrived in Barbados in 1624. They took possession of it in the name of the British king James I. Two years later in 1627 the first permanent settlers arrived from England and it became an English and later British colony.
[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbados - the wikipedia article says 1624, but clearly should be 1625 (or is this different calendars).]

Now, why does this stamp commemorate 1605-1905 :?:

The answer is - by mistake :!:

Holetown Monument:

The Holetown Monument commemorates the first English landing in Barbados by Captain John Powell in 1625 (not in 1605 as stated on the main plaque on the monument).

Barbados was claimed on behalf of King James I of England and remained as an English territory until Independence in 1966.
[https://www.barbados.org/holetown-monument-barbados.htm#.UBO6yZEjfyA]

Holetown:

The historic Holetown had the first settlement in Barbados and is the third largest town on the island. It was originally called 'St James Town' then 'Jamestown' after King James I of England.

It was finally renamed 'Holetown' because of the 'hole', a small channel in which ships anchored in the area, similar to the 'Hole' on the River Thames in London, and also because of its Shallow draught.

History has it that on May 14th 1625 Captain John Powell and crew on the ship 'Olive Blossom' landed on Barbados and claimed the uninhabited island for England. Two years later, on February 17th 1627, his brother Captain Henry Powell landed with a party of 80 settlers and 10 slaves. The group established Barbados' first settlement 'Jamestown'. This event was commemorated by the Holetown Monument.
[https://www.funbarbados.com/Sights/holetown.cfm]

And here's the only picture I can find of the monument plaque with what may be a correction attached underneath - can anyone find a better picture?

Lots more can be found by googling - with various names, dates and ships :!: - happy to be corrected :)

Dave.
JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

Great research Dave, I had never thought about the discrepancy but now if kind of makes sense. When I get out there next time I'm going to go to the monument and see if there is some kind of explanation on it. Unless anyone reading this happens to be on the island in which case please check it out for us!

Also, inspired by gugusg and his questions about the early Britannias I have been inspired to write another page for my site explaining how you can spot the different watermarks on Britannias, which I've linked to here https://www.barbadosstamps.co.uk/resources/identifying-barbad ... britannias. I will also reproduce a version of it on this board shortly.

I was also lucky enough to find the missing value for greidp at a stamp fair I went to yesterday so it's in an envelope ready to go. Thought I'd share it though as it is a cracker - I may even pop it on the Line Engraved beauties board :D

Jon
greidp

Post by greidp »

Many thanks to JonEboy for finding this great stamp for me - completes my mint set - may post the page after I mount the set (although you've seen the stamps before).
JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

greidp wrote:Many thanks to JonEboy for finding this great stamp for me - completes my mint set - may post the page after I mount the set (although you've seen the stamps before).
I may have see the stamps many times before but there's nothing quite like the feeling of satisfaction when you see a completed set of super line engraved stamps. Oh and they're Barbados and that's what this thread is all about so go for it! Please do post the page up here and share them with everyone.

Jon
JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

Further to last night's post I'm posting an abridged version of the article that appears on my website regarding watermarks on Britannia's.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There are two key elements to identifying your Barbados Britannia; the perforations and the watermarks. This article deals only with the watermarks and explains how you can find them on your stamps.

There are many devices on the market to help you see a watermark, but probably the best bet is to lay the stamp flat on a black background. If you have any old stockcards around these make ideal backgrounds and won’t damage the stamp in any way. Most watermarks will be easily visible using this method but if that fails then there are other tricks you can use.

If you have access to a computer and a scanner the next best option is to scan the stamp in at 600 or even 1200 dpi as this will often show up a watermark. You can also adjust the contrast on your screen or tilt it slightly as this often shows up previously invisible watermarks.

After that if you still have no luck, watermark fluid is a really useful and cheap option and this generally exposes harder watermarks. There are of course more expensive options such as electric watermark detectors but unless you plan to make a business out of spotting these then you can probably do without one.

The very first Britannia's were all imperforate, so from 1852 to 1860 all the stamps were separated by scissors and none of them had any watermarks. From 1860 though the first pin perfs were introduced but again there were no watermarks on the stamps for the next ten years. In 1870 however that all changed as the first stamps were issued with watermarks and tellingly they all had rough perfs as well. Whilst it can often be tricky to separate the rough perfs and pin perfs, and frankly sometimes they look almost identical, the watermark will generally be the giveaway.

From 1870 to 1875 Perkins Bacon printed the Britannia’s and each of the issues were slightly different, but the key in the watermarking was that they only used either small star of large star watermarked paper. From 1875 until the series was replaced in 1892, De La Rue were the printers of choice and they always used a Crown CC watermark. So essentially when you are trying to pin down your Britannia you are looking for one of just three watermarks.

This becomes even simpler when you know that from 1852 to 1870 the stamps had no watermark and from 1875 to 1892 they had a Crown CC watermark. That just leaves a tricky five year period in which there were two star watermarks, either large star or small star. These dates are quite important as you can sometimes age a stamp from the cancel on it, particularly if it is still on piece.

So what are you looking for? Well the key is to know where you are going to find the star, and in most cases you are not looking for a complete star, just part of one. To make it easy we can start with an unused imperforate pair of SG60 6d Orange Vermillion which have a large star watermark.
As you can see from the picture the star is not in the middle of the stamp but at the edges, so essentially what you will be able to see is only part of the star. The large start watermark measures between 15mm and 16mm across the star from point to point and about 27mm between the stars centres if you can measure vertically. The small star watermark is very similar but it is noticeably smaller, between 12mm and 13.5mm point to point and 24mm from centre to centre.

The next picture illustrates just how hard it can be to spot the small star, but if you either stand back from the screen or adjust the angle of your screen you will find the picture becomes a lot clearer. We’ve put a red circle around the watermark to make it easier to see and as his stamp has been helpfully expertised on the back as being SG51 we don’t have to look too far to check that this is correct.
By the time we get to 1875 and the De La Rue printings (which are much crisper and clearer anyway so often you can spot these without even turning the stamp over) the watermark was crown CC and this is easily visible on most of the stamps.
The trick therefore is to start on the front of the stamp and look for clues before turning it over, then see if you can eliminate one or more of the periods before searching for the watermark to confirm your suspicions.
gugusg

Post by gugusg »

nice post, maybe you could duplicate images and try with paint to clearly show the watermark by painting it even more because I still do not see the third :mrgreen:
JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

gugusg wrote:nice post, maybe you could duplicate images and try with paint to clearly show the watermark by painting it even more because I still do not see the third :mrgreen:
I know. it's quite difficult but surprisingly the third image (Crown CC) is even easier to see than the other two.

If you are on a laptop then tilt the screen away from you and keep on tilting it until the image appears - it's like one of those strange puzzles that suddenly appears :D . If you are on desktop then make the image as large as you can on screen then stand back about 5 ft and see if you can make it out - distance can often help in the process. My wife has found me before standing in the office doorway craning my neck at different angles to view a watermark on the screen ten feet away! She would think I'm mad but she already knows :roll: :lol:

But in case none of that works, here it is in glorious contrast....

Jon
JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

Just as a curiosity I've just acquired this cover which appears to have a very nice Barbados slogan cancel (Barbados ForAll Year Round Sunshine and Seabathing - first used in February 1932 and still in use up to 1979) and is back stamped as being from the Finnish Consulate. It is addressed to a stamp dealer but I've yet to figure out the relevance of this cover - any suggestions welcome!

Jon
Graciousenamels
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by Graciousenamels »

Hi All, great thread, can I add my bit to the crown circle discussion.
Initially used to indicate that postage had been paid, or not and struck on covers between 1849 and 1852, prior to the issue of stamps, manuscript rates in either red (unpaid) or black indicated if it had been paid or not and needed to be collected rom the recipient., I beleive that are 22 or 23 covers known. It then was used to indicate overseas postage rate was either due, struck in red and also struck in black/ blue to indicate postage was paid until about 1858, this was because, though the islands intenal post had been controlled by the colony's administration ,the Crown Agents retained the control of the overseas postage and used it as described above.
It then fell out of use until the 1890's where it was used twice as described earlier in the thread due to the shortage of postage stamps on covers but also was used to show payment of printed material, such as newspapers during a shortage of the 1/4d stamp due to a rate change.
I promise to get my scanner out and put a few items on here when back from work, and do my best to illustrate these but I am short a blue strike, and I've yet to see one at auction.
JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

Graciousenamels wrote:Hi All, great thread, can I add my bit to the crown circle discussion.
Initially used to indicate that postage had been paid, or not and struck on covers between 1849 and 1852, prior to the issue of stamps, manuscript rates in either red (unpaid) or black indicated if it had been paid or not and needed to be collected rom the recipient., I beleive that are 22 or 23 covers known. It then was used to indicate overseas postage rate was either due, struck in red and also struck in black/ blue to indicate postage was paid until about 1858, this was because, though the islands intenal post had been controlled by the colony's administration ,the Crown Agents retained the control of the overseas postage and used it as described above.
It then fell out of use until the 1890's where it was used twice as described earlier in the thread due to the shortage of postage stamps on covers but also was used to show payment of printed material, such as newspapers during a shortage of the 1/4d stamp due to a rate change.
I promise to get my scanner out and put a few items on here when back from work, and do my best to illustrate these but I am short a blue strike, and I've yet to see one at auction.
Hi Graciousenamels, thanks for this - great addition to the thread.

When you do get a moment any scan you have would be much appreciated. I've yet to see a blue strike anywhere at auction and I check a lot of auctions every month!

When you say you believe there to be 22 or 23 covers known, I take it that this is the number of variations known not the total number of covers?

Looking forward to seeing any scans you may have.

Jon

PS - I will be away from the boards for the next week so looking to have a massive catch up when I get back :D
JonEboy

Post by JonEboy »

I've not posted much on this thread recently as I've been wading my way through a bargain bucket of stamps, but I was distracted the other day by a post from Mchaggis asking if anyone knew what bound a whole lot of stamps from different countries together. The thread is here https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=39674&hilit=Annigoni and if you read it you will find that the eventual answer was that all the stamps featured the Pietro Annigoni portrait of Queen Elizabeth II. The portrait is believed by many to be the finest ever painting of the Queen however it has been used sparingly on stamps, although there was a period in the 1960's where it showed up on a number of sets.

Barbados actually issued three sets between 1958 and 1962 featuring this portrait and as I scanned them for mchaggis I thought I should share them on this thread as well.

The first set to show this particular profile was the Inauguration of the British Caribbean Federation, SG303-305, printed in recess by Bradbury Wilkinson & Co Ltd and issued on 23rd April 1958.

Barbados SG303

Barbados SG304

Barbados SG305

Following this set there was a wait of just over three years until 6th May 1961 when BW once again printed a recess set of stamps, this time depicting The Opening of Bridgetown Deep Water Harbour, SG306-308

Barbados SG306

Barbados SG307

Barbados SG308

The final set featuring the Annigoni portrait was issued just after the declaration of self government on the island; printed once again by BW in recess the stamps were issued on 9th May 1962. They depicted the Golden Jubilee of the Barbados Boy Scout Association and were given the catalogue numbers SG309-311

Barbados SG309

Barbados SG310

Barbados SG311

This was the last time that the Annigoni portrait was used on a Barbados stamp, and although it has appeared elsewhere in the world on other stamps (see the earlier thread) it is still a relatively rare thing to find this particular portrait on a stamp.

Jon

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”