A NEAT FIND. Global 40s covers to 'Olympic Spark Plugs', Vic

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

A NEAT FIND. Global 40s covers to 'Olympic Spark Plugs', Vic

Post by Global Administrator »

The wonderful thing about being a "Buyer Of Everything" is that some very nice looking hoards turn up now and again. :mrgreen:

To brighten up my life, as a refreshing change from the constant torrent of PO emissions of the past 30 years. 8)

I was recently mailed these covers from someone who worked at this company - Olympic Spark Plugs Pty Ltd in the 1940s, and had the wonderful good sense to save the full covers, and not tear off the stamp corner as 99.9% of recipients did then.

There were over 100 covers here, and I have scanned a number of them above to share with members. A few were pre-war 1930s.

There are amazing array of origin country, commercial covers from the 1940s mainly. They have never been near a stamp dealer for ~65-75 years.

Burma, Portuguese India, Iran, Iraq, Cyprus, Malta, Southern Rhodesia, Thailand, Malaysia, France, China, Netherlands indies, Sarawak, Uganda, Belgium, Portugal, Turkey, a real early Israel cover, Egypt, Trinidad, Fiji, South Africa, Argentina, Sudan (several!), Lebanon, Ceylon, Greece and

There is a 1949 India Gandhi commercially used - a $50-$100 cover in today's market. Who would know - 1949 Gandhi stuff is white hot.

Includes Registered mail and Postage dues assessed etc.

Pretty much all of them sent to Olympic Spark Plugs Pty Ltd in Melbourne. .

Looks like they were a big deal back then -

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Olympic+Spark+Plugs+Pty+L ... =firefox-a

I am lazy and sell these things as one lot, and move onto the next thing - which in this case might be nice, as they may well stay together a bit longer!

"Australia" is an EXOTIC inwards destination for any collector overseas.

Rod Perry has for years been making a fortune listing such things up at $9.99 reserve start on ebay and selling most at that, and often getting 10 or 20 times that -

https://www.ebay.com/csc/rap_com_au/m.html?_ipg=200&_from=&_nkw=&_armrs=1&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

I have neither the time or patience, but I must admit I have no idea why things like this get $71 on ebay with $9.99 start - 1949 to Australia, exactly like most of these above -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Netherlands-New-Guinea-Indonesia-194 ... 257505154e

So - does anyone else have a story of a nice little untouched for 65-75 years hoard of anything? Or a similar story?

I'll take a few more pix if anyone is interested in this little snapshot of social history. :mrgreen:

Glen

Mani
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Re: A NEAT FIND. Global 40s covers to 'Olympic Spark Plugs',

Post by Mani »

There is a 1949 India Gandhi commercially used - a $50-$100 cover in today's market. Who would know - 1949 Gandhi stuff is white hot.

You Gandhi cover is good but I don't think it would fetch more than $10 Just a thought.

And they were issued in 1948!

P.S
Nice lot :)
Always on the look for British India stamps!

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Mani wrote:
You Gandhi cover is good but I don't think it would fetch more than $10 Just a thought.
Clearly you know very little of the real world global value of Gandhi commercial covers - on stampboards it is handy to be well informed, before refuting comments.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/India-1948-Gandhi-12a-commercial-air ... 25743cf58e

The buyer was Indian, and was happy - http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/airmail1929

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

A few more of them. :)

Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Philexx
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by Philexx »

Wow that certainly is a hoard! Some lovely looking covers there. I particularly like the one from Khartoum and the one from Baghdad. Looking forward to some more scans if you have time :wink:
Join the Stampboards Monthly Cover Exchanges

HalfpennyYellow
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by HalfpennyYellow »

Nice lot. I really like those Sudan Camel Postman ones. :D

Note the AIR MAIL / MALTA cancellation on this is catalogued at €9.30 although they sell for less on ebay:
Global Administrator wrote:
Collecting worldwide postage and revenue stamps - focusing on Malta, British Commonwealth and revenues in general

Philexx

Post by Philexx »

Yes they are nice aren't they (the camels). I just had another look through them and Glen is right, it would by a crying shame for this "hoard" to be split up.
Join the Stampboards Monthly Cover Exchanges

gillamo
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by gillamo »

I guess most of us would never come across this type of find - the odds would point to mostly dealers, by nature, uncovering this, and even then only very occasionally.

It must be quite unusual for a company to have had such an international business at the time; very unusual for their covers to have been kept at all, never mind so whole; and extremely unusual for the collection to have survived complete for so long.

Any insight into why they were kept? Or what this chap had done with them? Just stored in a box in the cellar?
Collecting Scottish cds cancels pre-1910, and UK s/a booklets

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

gillamo wrote:
It must be quite unusual for a company to have had such an international business at the time
Yes that was my first thought too. :)

I assumed the Americans would have been market leaders by this post war era.

However I found this ad in the 'Sydney Morning Herald' from October 9, 1946 -

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/17998206

SPARK PLUGS

IN eight short years Olympic have become the most popular spark plugs in Australia today. There's a good reason for that popularity.

American Engineers have kept ahead of the times, with research and tests, to evolve a tougher, more efficient long-life insulator - the "POST- WAR" Insulator - exclusive to Olympic spark plug.

Today, Australian and overseas users are demanding millions of Olympic Plugs annually - Olympic had to expand - so they acquired an additional factory - to more than treble the present output.

Your garage has a full range. Specify Olympics, the plugs that give greater engine efficiency. Check the Olympic type chart for the correct plug for your engine.

OLYMPIC SPARK PLUGS PROPRIETARY LIMITED

NEW HEAD OFFICE AND FACTORY ADDRESS

64 Little Bourke Street Melbourne Phone JM 1529 (3 line«)

No 2 Factory, Anthony Street Melbourne F 3116

Rod Perry
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by Rod Perry »

Refreshing to see an intact hoard of commercial covers from abroad to Australia for this era.

I've not seen anyone take a guess at what the trashing rate for converting commercial covers to packet material was 60 or more years ago.

I wouldn't be surprised if 99.9% of incoming mail was trashed to service the once booming packet trade.

I am surprised, however, at the present day popularity of kiloware.

Is there no shortage of slow learners even in this more philatelically enlightened age?

Rod
Preserve DNA - retain covers intact. Scientists may be grateful!
Commercial covers represent “Stamps in Action”: Philately’s last Great Frontier

GlenStephens

Post by GlenStephens »

Rod Perry wrote:Refreshing to see an intact hoard of commercial covers from abroad to Australia for this era.

I've not seen anyone take a guess at what the trashing rate for converting commercial covers to packet material was 60 or more years ago.

I wouldn't be surprised if 99.9% of incoming mail was trashed to service the once booming packet trade.
I am sure you are right Rod .... the value of the stamps above soaked off covers might be $35 or so, as a few of the 1930s Dutch airmails are not common. But I assume all on cover they are worth 10 times that - I hope so anyway, as that is what I'll list them up for when I get time!

Someone will like them as a group - or maybe to keep them intact.

The Gandhi 12A used to Australia is the 'sleeper' I think among the lot. As I do not bother with ebay, I will never know probably.
A member here listed this really ugly dog on ebay - and it did not even have the actually scarce 10R high value, and it got $US6,300! I repeat -
$US6,300
His detailed description said - in full -

"1948 FIRST DAY COVER INDIA MAHATMA GANGHI ,A FEW TONE SPOTS ON COVER ,A VERY NICE COVER ,RARE ."

The 3 stamps that are there, are cat £9½ as used off cover in the very latest SG.

When it got to $2000, the owner asked me if he should maybe take it off ebay, and keep it "for an investment."

I told him I'd have gladly taken $200 for it due to the crappy condition, and to cheerfully accept whatever silly sum the fevered ebay Prize Bunnies punted his way, even if it did not get one more bid.

It went on to sell for over treble the price from when he contacted me. ebay SUPER Bunnies. :lol: :lol:

I then ran a poll among members here (without telling them the price it got!) and after 100 votes, when I closed the Poll, way over half - 57%, agreed with me saying it was worth $250 or less in their view.

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=36654

In fact of the 100 votes about 10% voted for $10 value, or $25, or $50 value respectively.

About $A10 - 9% [ 9 ]
About $A25 - 12% [ 12 ]
About $A50 - 9% [ 9 ]

Glen

A-One Stamps

Post by A-One Stamps »

At $350 the hoard - sold to Marty. :)

vicaf60
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by vicaf60 »

All Photobucket “Ransom” images above have been replaced, and saved forever.

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”