"Australian PictorMarks" Commemorative Postmarks 2 Volume set!

There are some superb and incredibly useful reference books, and catalogues out there. And tools to measure perforations or paper thickness or LED magnifiers etc Please add your new discoveries - and recommendations to this forum. As in all forums, you can post photos of your favourites and recommendations.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

OzPictorMarks
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

"Australian PictorMarks" Commemorative Postmarks 2 Volume set!

Post by OzPictorMarks »

"Australian PictorMarks" Edition 2 is HERE at last! Phew!!

Okee Dokee folks. Finally. At last. Boy, am I pleased! Here's the details of the important bits you may want to know:

Features of Edition 2 of "Australian PictorMarks"

✓ Two A4, loose leaf, four hole format volumes of 1300+ pages.

✓ Each book is individually numbered, and from #10 on, will be allocated on a first-come-next-number basis. Naturally, existing clients had "first bite of the cherry", so don't expect a terribly low number at this juncture.

✓ Postmarks are as close as possible to their actual size (allowance to be made for the vagaries of scanners and software)!

✓ Much more detailed reasons for introduction/use of postmarks.

✓ Much more detailed descriptions of covers used.

✓ Better date ranges where applicable, including “full sets”.

✓ Snippets of philatelic information of interest, including introduction of GP covers, postcodes, new systems, PSEs, new procedures, etc. quoted from Philatelic and Stamp Bulletins.

✓ Postmarking rules explained (see entry after 25 April 1990).

✓ Quotes from philatelic magazines of the time.

✓ “Last known use” added where known, especially for withdrawal of ppms.

Aerogrammes listed where postmarking is known.

✓ A completely reworked INDEX with a very heavy emphasis on thematics—Boats, Planes, Trains, Tobacco, Maps—you name it, we’ve listed it, all 19,000+ (did a re-count in the last few days!).

Look at a postmark —some have only two thematics while others have more (the record is 14 for a postmark from Seymour in Victoria)!

✓ Liberally sprinkled with many “I didn’t know that!” moments concerning all things Australian (see Launceston South, 21 January 1981)!

✓ Early ASPC, NSW SPC etc. maximum cards.

✓ New category noting ‘errors’ and 'mis-use’, deliberate and otherwise!

✓ De-mystifying the “Show Time” covers of 2010 (see entry immediately after 27 March 2010).

✓ Where known, CPSs with literals included.

Framas cancelled with FDU pictorial/commemorative postmarks listed.

✓ Miscellaneous articles of general interest reprinted (see end of 1980; one immediately following 14 May 1983, e.g.)

✓ WA v “The Rest” for national FDI postmarks 24 June 1987–11 June 1992 fully categorised.

✓ Various silk cachet makers listed.

✓ With forewords by Michael Zsolt, Australia Post's Manager, Philatelic and Frank Pauer, respected collector and President, Australian Cover Society.

These items following are believed unique to APM:

✓ Complete listing of Maximum Cards
✓ Complete numbered listing of PSEs
✓ Complete numbered listing of PNCs
✓ Complete numbered listing of PMCs
✓ Complete numbered listing of PFDCs

So-o-o-o ...

If you're interested in purchasing a copy, we have an easy payment option (over three payments), or you're welcome to pay by cheque of direct deposit.

The order form can be found on our website: http://www.ozpictormarks.com/order-form.html. Contact us regarding a change of payment dates (the first date has already gone, but the end of the week would be fine).

There's not a lot we can do about p&h around the world (it's only $20 here in Australia), but you'll need to check Australia Post's website for your location. The two volumes weigh around 4.3 kg.

Note that we'll (or maybe just me) will be at Australia 2013 (you'll find us at the Premier Postal Auctions stall) so you can pick up your copy there. You can also purchase a copy at that stand.

However, please note that you must have your order in no later than 4 April 2013 in order to take advantage of the pre-publication price of $150. From 5 April, the price will be $195 + $20 p&h in Australia or whatever it costs to send overseas.

We freely admit we're pretty happy with the result, and hope you'll find the wait worthwhile.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Edition 2 is HERE at last! Phew!!

Post by Global Admin »

Great to hear Colleen. :mrgreen:

However please read rule 10, where headings need to mean something to all members!

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2556

All members have an hour to edit any post.
muruk
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by muruk »

Contains details up to what date?
A man might as well marry ... if he finds a good wife he will be happy ... if not, he will become a philosopher.
Collecting Greater New Guinea & Macropods (Kangaroos & Wallabies).
OzPictorMarks

Post by OzPictorMarks »

Sorry ... I've put that on the front page of the website.

Current to December 2012!
A-One Stamps
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Re: "Australian PictorMarks" Edition 2 is HERE at last! Phew

Post by A-One Stamps »

Great news. Expanded edition will be a great help for collectors.

Good value at $150.00
Rod Perry
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by Rod Perry »

I've been privileged to see a review set of the handbook/catalogues.

Indispensable for all except those who don't mind giving away valuable postmarks for the price of a stamp hinge.

Rod
Preserve DNA - retain covers intact. Scientists may be grateful!
Commercial covers represent “Stamps in Action”: Philately’s last Great Frontier
Philanthropist
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by Philanthropist »

Congratulations.
Will catch up at Australia 2013.
Presume that this means you will be able to reintroduce yourself to your family :?: :roll: :lol: :lol:
OzPictorMarks

Post by OzPictorMarks »

Philanthropist wrote: Presume that this means you will be able to reintroduce yourself to your family :?: :roll: :lol: :lol:
Absolutely. My dog is wagging her tail at me again! And hey, there's sunshine and daylight and all sorts of good things!

I'll look forward to seeing you at 2013.

I may as well make the most of this opportunity to mention that there's mini-tutorials throughout Edition 2, as well as the new listing for national FDI postmarks for PPEs, which hasn't happened before.

19,200 + index entries. :?

It's hard to switch off!! :roll:

We've had to order more copies from the printer ... the first print run is all but sold out! :shock:
manfaefife

Post by manfaefife »

It's a pity it wasn't also done in CD Format, like the Freeman NSW book, which is simple to use on the PC, and would be cheaper postage wise, especially for us foreignors !

I can understand though the work involved, the publishers need a return on their efforts.
Donald.
Collector of Kirkcaldy Postcards & Postal History
OzPictorMarks

Post by OzPictorMarks »

It's not just that "manfaefife" ... it's finding the software to convert it properly! I have tried making a *.pdf of various parts of the document without success.

Unfortunately, without an investment of thousands of dollars for high end software, I don't think that will happen. I have never made a secret of the fact that I am simply a hobbyist out of control and this is really a "love" job. I can assure you I will never get a return anywhere near what it has cost me to put it together. As for my time? Poof! Good thing I'm retired is all I can say ... :?

I would love to produce it in CD format - storage would be a breeze - and if you can tell me how to do it, I'll be happy to give it a go ... if it's not going to cost me thousands!
manfaefife

Post by manfaefife »

It's fine OPM i understand there has to have been a huge amount of work involved it was only a comment honestly, looking at the postage Point of View, and looking at the other book i mentioned.

I find the more i get into Australian Stamps the more keen i am in the various publications i.e. the Postmark books for South Australia, and Victoria etc., all very commendable and excellent books, but price wise i can't justify the costs of them all, and if there was a cheaper way of producing same material then obviously i'd be interested.
Donald.
Collector of Kirkcaldy Postcards & Postal History
OzPictorMarks

Post by OzPictorMarks »

It's official ... the first print run has sold out and we're waiting on another batch from the printer. :D

All of you who have ordered - the books have been posted. Those of you who are picking up at Australia 2013 ... we have them in nice carry-bags to make life easier for you. We'll be in touch with you individually so we can work out who's coming on what day as obviously "storage" is at a premium (as you well know from stamp shows you have attended in the past!). :wink:

We'd be very interested in your feedback when you get them. All constructive comments are welcome! :)
muruk

Post by muruk »

OzPictorMarks wrote:It's not just that "manfaefife" ... it's finding the software to convert it properly! I have tried making a *.pdf of various parts of the document without success.

I would love to produce it in CD format - storage would be a breeze - and if you can tell me how to do it, I'll be happy to give it a go ... if it's not going to cost me thousands!
I don't understand. Word Perfect comes with "Publish to PDF" capability.

Virtual printers that write to PDF files are also available free.
A man might as well marry ... if he finds a good wife he will be happy ... if not, he will become a philosopher.
Collecting Greater New Guinea & Macropods (Kangaroos & Wallabies).
stampchris
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by stampchris »

muruk wrote:
OzPictorMarks wrote:It's not just that "manfaefife" ... it's finding the software to convert it properly! I have tried making a *.pdf of various parts of the document without success.

I don't understand. Word Perfect comes with "Publish to PDF" capability.

Virtual printers that write to PDF files are also available free.
Adding my two cents - there's much more to it then that. A good ebook, has hyperlinks added to the contents, and each entry in the index. Plus if there's a mention in the text to another postmark then a hyperlink is added to that. This takes a lot of time.
Chris de Haer - Author of 'A Closer Look at Modern Australian Stamps' in Stamp News Australia.Online Shop Latest news on my blog
OzPictorMarks

Post by OzPictorMarks »

muruk wrote: I don't understand. Word Perfect comes with "Publish to PDF" capability.
Believe me I've tried! However, handling a 1300+ page document with nearly 7,000 graphics and multiple hidden typesetting codes ... nuh uh ... just won't happen. I've tried converting in chapters, in page ranges, etc. etc. The document is simply too big and too complex. It's only 43 Mb simply because I've linked all the documents to disk. If it were able to translate to *.pdf, it would triple or quadruple in size. :shock:

I've been using WordPerfect since V.3 for DOS (yes, I'm that old), was Australasian Editor of the WordPerfect User Group for many years and was a WordPerfect Certified Resource. I'm currently using WordPerfect X5 for Windows.

Trust me ... it can't be done in WordPerfect. And I won't even use that other "W" product! :(
OzPictorMarks

Post by OzPictorMarks »

stampchris wrote: Adding my two cents - there's much more to it then that. A good ebook, has hyperlinks added to the contents, and each entry in the index. Plus if there's a mention in the text to another postmark then a hyperlink is added to that. This takes a lot of time.
You're right Chris ... and while I can set up hyperlinks within WordPerfect, it simply wasn't worth the effort because of the other problems I've mentioned. And yes, you're right again, it would need to be done in the other software as well ... probably. Because I'm totally self-taught, I've never approached the software with the thought that it may have limitations. I've always believed I could make it do exactly what I wanted it to, and it's rarely let me down. I've also found there's always more than one way to skin a cat, and you can usually get the same result with three different approaches.

Maybe I'll look into it more. One day. When I've got nothing to do. Hmmmmmm. Sigh. :roll:
OzPictorMarks

Post by OzPictorMarks »

Wow ... our first bit of feedback!

Hi Colleen and Jan

It arrived today!!

What a mammoth effort - the whole 4.4kg chock full of all my favourite "stuff".

Loved the use of the two different Castlemaine "Women's Work" pictorial cancels on the front of each volume respectively. So appropriate for all the work you two girls have put into this enormous undertaking.

Also appropriate for the timing as we go into Australia 2013 - the World Stamp Expo - at the same venue of the Exhibition Building, Melbourne, that was used for the 1907 "Women's Work" exhibition.

A truly professional work in all regards with so much new detail and such clear illustrations that it is a joy to use.

I pulled out my old "New Look Pictormarks" the sterling work of Clarrie Peck with all the hand typed amendments faithfully cut off and glued in place as each annual addendum was received. This was my "Bible" for many years. Then you took over the task and modernised the layout by simplifying all the sections into a purely timeline format with differing symbols that made perfect sense. And now with Edition 2 in the new A4 format it has doubled in size and detail with many new lists of products that use Australia Post pictorial postmarks and will be a joy to work with. I agree with Michael Zsolt's comment in the Foreword to this edition
".....(they) have compiled a work that contributes a great deal to the advancement of Australian philately and deserves to be in the hands of every postmark enthusiast."

The thousands of entries in the Index is so central to the use of this work that I have put the Index right at the start of Volume 1 and, when I get around to it, I intend to make a copy of the 41 page Index to place at the front of Volume 2 also. Secondly I intend to place year dividers throughout the volumes to make finding entries faster. It may help to turnover sections in the loose leaf binders.

I am so happy to have this new edition and would recommend it to all enthusiast marcophelists.

Thank you Colleen and Jan for your tireless work in producing this magnificent work - my new philatelic "Bible"

In appreciation

Dennis O'Neill
Casuarina Stamps.

So it was worth the effort! :D
sugarplum

Post by sugarplum »

Hi Colleen and Jan

I received my copy yesterday (37) :D

I can only echo the comments of Casuarina Stamps.

I was also using a second hand copy of New Look Pictor-Marks.

I love the new layout and think the idea of year dividers is something I will also do.

Thank you for all the hard work and effort. It's absolutely brilliant.

Jenny
OzPictorMarks

Post by OzPictorMarks »

Thanks Jenny ... we're truly tickled pink by the reaction we're getting from people; it has made the working-to-the-bone-until-midnight-a-lot worthwhile!

I guess my whole approach to it was that if I found snippets of information interesting, other people might too, and that is definitely turning out to be the case.

We are already gathering ideas for Edition 3 ... :D
markasmith
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by markasmith »

I must have been one of the first hundred that have purchased the new edition and I can't recommend it highly enough to everyone.

Given its vast amount of pages, I must confess to not having read it cover to cover...yet, but from what I have seen, it really is a credit to the authors.

Works like these are a labour of love and there is probably very little return on investment, other than hearing from philatelists who take the time to say thank you.

I put Sel Pfeffer's Frama Catalogue and David Mallen's Variation catalogue in the same type of category, in that their works will probably never make the authors rich, but are enormous contributions to philatelic research and recognition of specialised collecting interests.

Colleen and Jan's efforts, dwarf a lot of the work that has been done in producing specialised catalogues.

We are talking here of two large files, absolutely crammed with illustrated information. Almost 600 pages that literally must have taken years to research.

I think having something solid to hold and flick through is still appreciated by many people and it certaintly looks great in bookcase!

So, Thank you Colleen and Jan for your efforts.

Philatelists will be doing themselves a real favour purchasing your new work.
Perth Stamp & Coin Show at the South Perth Civic Centre, Western Australia
Friday 8th to Sunday 10th March - Perth's premier FREE philatelic & numismatic event
OzPictorMarks

Post by OzPictorMarks »

Wow ... thanks Mark! You're right - there are years of research, but hey, it's astonishing what I've learned along the way. I'm seriously thinking of hiring myself out for Trivia Nights!

You're right - we'll never get rich, but the "feel good factor" is huge ... and you've just added to it. So, thank you! :wink:

PS: I'm doing a presentation on pictorial and commemorative postmarks at the Australian Cover Society meeting on the Sunday at 2:15 p.m. - Meeting Room 1. I'm certainly having fun putting it together. :P
brissypete
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Post by brissypete »

A truly impressive publication, A job well done.

Now I just need to rearrange my bookcase to fit it in!
Collector and Part Time Dealer (Member IPDA)website and online store - http://www.pwstamps.com.au - Australia & World Stamps & Covers, Discounted Catalogues & Accessories
OzPictorMarks

Post by OzPictorMarks »

Thank you kind sir ... I hope you have many hours of enjoyment! :wink:
ChrisGray
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by ChrisGray »

Does anybody know if Colleen is away at the moment?

I emailed her a couple weeks ago without reply, and tried to contact her through the SB email service last week, again without reply.
stampchris

Post by stampchris »

ChrisGray wrote:Does anybody know if Colleen is away at the moment?

I emailed her a couple weeks ago without reply, and tried to contact her through the SB email service last week, again without reply.
I believe Colleen has been unwell of late, hence the delay. Colleen always replies so just be patient. If its a postmark query, maybe post it to Stampboards as there may be others who can reply.
Chris de Haer - Author of 'A Closer Look at Modern Australian Stamps' in Stamp News Australia.Online Shop Latest news on my blog
ChrisGray

Post by ChrisGray »

Hopefully she's on the mend. :)

I was enquiring about buying the latest edition. Plenty to do in the meantime!
BigSaint
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by BigSaint »

ChrisGray wrote:Hopefully she's on the mend. :)

I was enquiring about buying the latest edition. Plenty to do in the meantime!
Chris

There is a link to Colleen's website on her post above. There is an order form there (but it might be out of print).

Brad :)
Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.
ChrisGray

Post by ChrisGray »

Thanks Brad, I actually contacted her (first through her website and then here, as I mentioned above) to find out if it was still in print, so that I didn't process a bank transfer and subsequently discover copies weren't available any more.

I'll keep an eye out. :)
briggia

Is there a list of Australia Permanent Pictorial Postmarks?

Post by briggia »

Hi

Does anyone have a comprehensive list, or can point to an online resource, of current Australian Permanent Pictorial Postmarks?

The AusPost website only lists updated and/or temporary ones as far as I can see and not a comprehensive list of all that are current.

Thanks

briggia
Whilst growing my usage collection, I also collect other stuff.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: Anyone have a list of Australian Perm pictorial postmark

Post by Global Admin »

There is a very useful 2 MASSIVE volume set "Australian Pictormarks" covering these (1879 to 2012) that costs $A215 -

https://www.ozpictormarks.com/f/Edition_2_Orders_WEBSITE2.pdf

Essential buying if you collect this area. 1300+ huge pages.

I bought the previous Edition 2 volume set in an Estate this week, I've priced for $A60 if anyone just needs the detail content for reference. (Stock 836QL) :mrgreen:

Prices in that are pretty much the same as current edition. Tons of detail on every postmark, number struck, images of them all, even the numbers of Registered, and retail prices for all types etc.

Glen

This is an example of the kind of detail - prices the same in both Editions - just ONE set like this, on common 20c stamps, found in a junk box somewhere, just once in your life, pays for the 2 sets of books! :mrgreen:

Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
The Pom
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by The Pom »

There is a very useful 2 MASSIVE volume set "Australian Pictormarks" covering these (1879 to 2012)
That's all very well, but briggia wants a list of current postmarks, so a catalogue that is 4 years old is only going to be of limited help.
Always on the lookout for Australian pre decimal First Day Covers.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Well a fairly complete priced and illustrated list is better than none, many might imagine. :idea:

I'd guess 95% of what exist today are listed in the book - few new ones get added these days.

Glen
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
briggia

Post by briggia »

You are of course both correct.

A Valuable resource from 1879, and yes I'd prefer a current list, however if I bought a volume now (and had weeks to trawl through new postmark releases and withdrawals) I'd be right.

Seriously though. I'd no idea of this publication and I could see it being invaluable.......

Anyone got a list of 2015/16 current perm pictorials ? :mrgreen:

briggia
BigSaint

Post by BigSaint »

briggia wrote:You are of course both correct.

A Valuable resource from 1879, and yes I'd prefer a current list, however if I bought a volume now (and had weeks to trawl through new postmark releases and withdrawals) I'd be right.

Seriously though. I'd no idea of this publication and I could see it being invaluable.......

Anyone got a list of 2015/16 current perm pictorials ? :mrgreen:

briggia
Ian

They will be listed in the Philatelic Bulletin.

Specialist Collector of World Horse Racing Covers, Melbourne Cup & Kentucky Derby, & JFK fdcs.
Arakan

Post by Arakan »

I would love to get some of these on covers if anyone can help/exchange. I collect perm pictorial postmarks and yet I have no examples from Australia.
Visit my pictorial cancellation website: http://pcancels.wordpress.com
I Collect Permanent/Scenic pictorial cancellations, China, Taiwan, Japan, Art, Buddhism, Flowers, Fruits, Food/Gastronomy, Mathematics, Scenic Landscape/Landmark, UNESCO World Heritage.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

I listed up a bundle of these for $A1 each recently -

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=71340

Glen
stampchris

Post by stampchris »

The short answer is unfortunately there is no list.

Australia Post does list most new postmarks in the Stamp Bulletin, and it would be safe to assume that those postmarks listed over the last five or so years would still be available (postmarks last for over ten years or so, and only get withdrawn or replaced when the design gets worn or the year wheel runs out of years).

When Australia Post used to list alternative postmarks in the Bulletin they took their information from Colleen's Pictormark catalogue.

The South Australian Philatelic Council used to publish a list of a South Australian and Northern Territory postmarks, but that was back in the 1980s or 1990s. I wrote to all state councils a while back and not one could help.
briggia

Post by briggia »

Thanks everyone

briggia
briggia

Post by briggia »

Global Administrator wrote:There is a very useful 2 MASSIVE volume set "Australian Pictormarks" covering these (1879 to 2012) that costs $A215 -

https://www.ozpictormarks.com/f/Edition_2_Orders_WEBSITE2.pdf

Essential buying if you collect this area. 1300+ huge pages.

I bought the previous Edition 2 volume set in an Estate this week, I've priced for $A60 if anyone just needs the detail content for reference. (Stock 836QL) :mrgreen:

Prices in that are pretty much the same as current edition. Tons of detail on every postmark, number struck, images of them all, even the numbers of Registered, and retail prices for all types etc.

Glen

This is an example of the kind of detail - prices the same in both Editions - just ONE set like this, on common 20c stamps, found in a junk box somewhere, just once in your life, pays for the 2 sets of books! :mrgreen:

Ive just tried the link to the ozpictormarks www site and I get a 'server not found message'.....

If that is not working does anyone know how I can get hold of the latest edition of Australian Pictorial Postmarks by OzPictorMarks?

Thanks

briggia
BigSaint

Re: Anyone have a list of Aust. Permanent Pictorial Postmark

Post by BigSaint »

briggia

The one shown by Glen is the latest edition. There have been no updates since 2012 & nor will there be by Colleen.

My understanding is that it was a sell out so you will need to scour the second hand market.

Brighton Philatelic Society has one in it's library but a little far for you to come to look at it.

Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

briggia wrote:
I've just tried the link to the ozpictormarks www site and I get a 'server not found message'.....

It never ceases to astound me, that folks like Colleen and her partner, that take many THOUSANDS of hours (worth $50,000 of time) to put together a great work like this book, let websites expire all due to the $20 a year hosting renewal cost. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Happens endlessly with specialist pages and blogs of all kinds connected with philately. No idea why, but we see it all the time. Decades of work dropping off the web, all for the cost of a Pizza. :roll: :roll: :roll:

One reason I set up stampboards.com over 10 years back is that we can save a lot of detail of these now dead sites and projects to record them in one place for the record.

A great work, and what WAS there at Australian PictorMarks® a few months back is shown here -

https://web.archive.org/web/20160702044938/https://www.ozpictormarks.com/OzPictorMarks.html

The 2 massive books were very poorly promoted sadly, (and Colleen Woolley was a member here, and could have offered them here FREE of any sale charges) so they probably sold less than half what they would have with a bit of modest exposure, but that is another story. :roll:
GlenStephens

Re: Is there a list of Australia Permanent Pictorial Postmar

Post by GlenStephens »

For anyone keen on saving a year of their life chasing these special cancels one by one, I just listed a CARTON of them up today as 1 lot at ~$2000 under catalogue!!

THIRTY years of them - one man's main collection -

https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=76128
BigSaint

Re: Is there a list of Australia Permanent Pictorial Postmar

Post by BigSaint »

All Photobucket “Ransom” images above have been replaced, and saved forever.

ghool2003
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Australian PictorMarks

Post by ghool2003 »

Hi everyone
I wanted to know if figures of printing mentioned in the catalogue is for just the mentioned post office and what is the figures for philatelic sale center? Does anyone knows how to contact the authors of Australian pictorMarks by email or mail please. With thanks
Fred Rashid
ghool2003

Post by ghool2003 »

Hello OzPictorMarks
I had a question about the numbers of postmarks you state in your catalogue produced by particular post offices. Do we also know the number of postmarks done by philatelic sale center? are there always differences in the 2 postmrks or not.
With regards Fred
BigSaint

Post by BigSaint »

Fred

Colleen (OzPictormarks) has not visited the Board in almost 6 years, so it is unlikely that Colleen will see your post.

I would be inclined think that if Colleen was able to obtain the numbers of impressions at the Philatelic Bureau as well as the relevant Post Office she would have given that information separately for both rather than a combined total of the two.

Postmarks held at the Bureau compared to those held in the relevant Post Offices are rarely different but when they are I don't know if it is by accident or design.

Hope this helps.

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

I think, don't quote me, that Colleen retired from updating her catalogue and perhaps from being involved. It may have gotten too complicated and AP was no longer helping, making the challenge of accurate information nigh on impossible.
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"
ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

Both the previous links given in her last posts are coming up as "domain available", so the most obvious route of enquiry (in the absence of a report on possible demise) would be the "traditional contact details", given in the second edition (about six years ago):

Colleen A. Woolley OAM JP
Australian PictorMarks
PO Box 300
Diamond Creek Vic 3089 Australia

Tel: +61 3 (03) 9438 5137

She would be over 70 now, so well into retirement. Her Linked-in entry shows her last work published in 2017 (Honouring a police woman).

(Whatever you find, updating us all here would be useful).
norvic

Post by norvic »

Resurrected 6 years after the original post and there is still no picture to tell the unknowing what PictorMarks actually are! :roll:
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock see Modern GB Blog Also almost everything non-GB postal history & postcards I show here is for sale: DM for details.
Mystery Postcard Nos: 265, 290/1/3, 304, 310, 320/2/4/6-8, 331/7/8, 344/6, 353/8, 360/1/3
BigSaint

Post by BigSaint »

Ian,

Here you go:
AUSTRALIAN PICTORMARKS (OZ PICTORMARKS)

Australia's Commemorative
&
Pictorial Postmarks

Volume 1 - 1879 - 1989
Volume 2 - 1990 - 2012

Return to “Knowledge really is POWER in this hobby! Catalogues, journals and reference books.”