Countries with no stamp issues last year

General things you want to know. Stamps you can't identify. Catalogue values you need to establish. Advice on ANYTHING stamp related you want. SOMEONE might be able to help. You can post photos of the stamps right here to assist . NOTE: - We have a nearby Forum for basic questions from *NEW* collectors.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

kursk119
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Countries with no stamp issues last year

Post by kursk119 »

The end of the year is very close...

What countries have not issued a single stamp this year?

I have Nauru and British Indian Ocean Territory.

Countries I am sure are interested in philatelic profit.

British Antarctic Territory should issue its stamps in December....

Any others?

BarryM
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Re: Countries with no stamp issues for 2013?

Post by BarryM »

kursk119 wrote: British Antarctic Territory should issue its stamps in December....
According to Linn's the BAT issued a SS sheet for the naming of Queen Elizabeth Land in March 2013, and a set of airmail stamps (with penguins) on Nov 16.

Stewie1980
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by Stewie1980 »

As far as I know:

Afghanistan
Anguilla
Angola
British Indian Ocean Territory
Cameroon
Cape Verde
Caribbean Netherlands
Comoros
Congo-Brazzaville
Djibouti
East Timor
Eritrea
Ethiopia
Haiti
Jamaica
Kenya
Kiribati
Kurdistan
Lesotho
Nauru
Nicaragua
Nigeria
Panama
Rwanda
Seychelles
Somalia
South Sudan
St Lucia
Swaziland

I included the two mentioned by Kursk119 in this list.

Maybe we can change this list everytime more info about 2013 comes available?

norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by norvic »

Kurdistan isn't a stamp issuing member of the UPU so should probably be excluded.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - Not looking at all threads. If you need an answer please quote my post or use board email. What I post is available, unless otherwise stated or copied from elsewhere, as I reduce a roomful of 'stuff'. GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site

Stewie1980

Post by Stewie1980 »

norvic wrote:Kurdistan isn't a stamp issuing member of the UPU so should probably be excluded.
I don't look at the politically correct list of the UPU. Kurdistan issues stamps that can be used on international mail.

Same as Nagorno-Karabakh which is now listed in every major world catalogue.

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

That's a surprising list...surely a few/some/a lot of those countries have issued stamps this year--Nigeria, Jamaica, Panama, Ethiopia...these aren't flyspeck islands like Nauru or philatelic cash-grabbers like BAT & BIOT. Then there's the "usual suspects" like British Caribbean Islands or French African states, that at least used to pump wallpaper--can we really believe the Comoros and Anguilla have reformed?
Collecting Mongolia; Thailand; Indo-China; Mourning Covers; OHMS.

Finchley Chris
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Finchley Chris »

bardhi
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by bardhi »

Same as Kurdistan, Kosovo is not a member of UPU but the stamps are valid, legit and appear on Michel (I don't know about other catalogues)

kursk119

Post by kursk119 »

Stewie1980 wrote:As far as I know:

Afghanistan
Anguilla
Angola
Cameroon
Cape Verde
Caribbean Netherlands
Comoros
Congo-Brazzaville
Djibouti
East Timor
Eritrea
Ethiopia
Haiti
Jamaica
Kenya
Kiribati
Kurdistan
Lesotho
Nauru
Nicaragua
Nigeria
Panama
Rwanda
Seychelles
Somalia
South Sudan
St Lucia
Swaziland

I included the two mentioned by Kursk119 in this list.

Maybe we can change this list everytime more info about 2013 comes available?
i have just checked tony bray's webpage and there is a definitive issue for Kiribati (ships). They used to mail their news with info about stamp releases, but they ended that last year. they said they were going to save money and instead send the news by email. i did not receive by email that news however. they mailed using stamps :-)
Kiribati has been always a CASB/CASCO customer with nice and few issues. However i have just checked casco wb and: the Definitive issue was never included in its pdf Trade Circulars AND Kiribati is not shown in their Countries (customers) List. Kiribati a new customer for IGPC/Philatelic Collector Inc? Please NO!

CASCO Countries

CASCO acts for around 12 countries around the world managing the design, production and printing of their stamps.

Barbados
Belize
Bermuda
British Antarctic Territory
British Indian Ocean Territory ZERO
Cayman Islands
Jamaica ZERO
Mauritius
Nauru ZERO
St Helena JUST 2
St Lucia ZERO
Seychelles ZERO

Is this Agency slowly disappering?

Somalia is lawless. they do not have an active postal service since........
True about BAT, i did not remember that £3 wallpaper. However the main issues are issued at the end of the year in Nov/Dec

kursk119

Post by kursk119 »

BarryM wrote:
kursk119 wrote: British Antarctic Territory should issue its stamps in December....
According to Linn's the BAT issued a SS sheet for the naming of Queen Elizabeth Land in March 2013, and a set of airmail stamps (with penguins) on Nov 16.
The Falkland Islands issued a set of Airmail postcard stamps on Nov 21. actually 2 sets (12 stamps). single stamps with white border and the same 6 stamps but in a minisheet without the white border. Like if 6 were not enough
But i have no info about BAT penguins and the FK IS philatelic bureau did not have any info either when i asked them in november about future issues for BAT

norvic

Post by norvic »

kursk119 wrote: CASCO Countries

CASCO acts for around 12 countries around the world managing the design, production and printing of their stamps.

Barbados
Belize
Bermuda
British Antarctic Territory
British Indian Ocean Territory ZERO
Cayman Islands
Jamaica ZERO
Mauritius
Nauru ZERO
St Helena JUST 2
St Lucia ZERO
Seychelles ZERO

Is this Agency slowly disappering?
Seems unlikely as it is now part of the Harry Allen group (288 group).
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - Not looking at all threads. If you need an answer please quote my post or use board email. What I post is available, unless otherwise stated or copied from elsewhere, as I reduce a roomful of 'stuff'. GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site

Stewie1980

Post by Stewie1980 »

Thanks to replies here and info found online we can cross off Angola, Kiribati, Jamaica, St Lucia and Nigeria. They all issued a few stamps in 2013.

New list:

Afghanistan
Anguilla
Cameroon
Cape Verde
Caribbean Netherlands
Comoros
Congo-Brazzaville
Djibouti
East Timor
Eritrea
Ethiopia
Haiti
Kenya
Kurdistan
Lesotho
Nauru
Nicaragua
Panama
Rwanda
Seychelles
Somalia
South Sudan
Swaziland

New info is more then welcome!

ecwk

Post by ecwk »

Stewie1980 wrote:Thanks to replies here and info found online we can cross off Angola, Kiribati, Jamaica, St Lucia and Nigeria. They all issued a few stamps in 2013.
Stewie, could you give any detail on the 2013 issues from Angola and Nigeria?

Here is a few updates.
Anguilla
A set on "Anguilla Seafaring Captains" was issued on 25 November according to "The Anguillan".
Cape Verde
A couple of 2013 issues are available from Stamperija (not their tacky wallpaper).
Eritrea
A set on 20th Anniversary of China-Eritrea Diplomatic Relations was issued on 24 May. Curiously, so far it seems to be available from Chinese sources rather than Eritrean ones.

Eric

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

ecwk wrote:A set on 20th Anniversary of China-Eritrea Diplomatic Relations was issued on 24 May. Curiously, so far it seems to be available from Chinese sources rather than Eritrean ones.
Sounds like another set printed in China as a "gift" to the issuing nation, as was the South Sudan inaugural set. I wonder what natural resource Eritrea has that China wants? :roll:
Collecting Mongolia; Thailand; Indo-China; Mourning Covers; OHMS.

Stewie1980

Post by Stewie1980 »

ecwk wrote:
Stewie1980 wrote:Thanks to replies here and info found online we can cross off Angola, Kiribati, Jamaica, St Lucia and Nigeria. They all issued a few stamps in 2013.
Stewie, could you give any detail on the 2013 issues from Angola and Nigeria?

Here is a few updates.
Anguilla
A set on "Anguilla Seafaring Captains" was issued on 25 November according to "The Anguillan".
Cape Verde
A couple of 2013 issues are available from Stamperija (not their tacky wallpaper).
Eritrea
A set on 20th Anniversary of China-Eritrea Diplomatic Relations was issued on 24 May. Curiously, so far it seems to be available from Chinese sources rather than Eritrean ones.

Eric
Thanks Eric!

Nigeria
After re-research i found out that the Nigerian stamps are from 2012 and not 2013! So Nigeria is back on the list.

Angola
In the Dutch stamp magazine 'Filatelie' there is a mention of Angola on the new issue pages, but without an image.
"10-4-2013, Day of Peace and Reconciliation, 100 and 200 Kzr."

Ethiopia
There is a new issue on Stamperija's website, "2013, Addis Ababa".

The list becomes shorter:

Afghanistan
Cameroon
Caribbean Netherlands
Comoros
Congo-Brazzaville
Djibouti
East Timor
Haiti
Kenya
Kurdistan
Lesotho
Nauru
Nicaragua
Nigeria
Panama
Rwanda
Seychelles
Somalia
South Sudan
Swaziland

traralgon3844

Post by traralgon3844 »

Kenya may slip one in if they issue a stamp alongside Japan for the 50th Anniversary of Diplomatic Relations between the two countries.

The Japanese sheet is due for release on 12/12/13.
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

whiteknight&dog

Post by whiteknight&dog »

British Indian Ocean Territory has just issued, or is just about to issue, (publicity put out by Harry Allen to collectors about CASCO territories is so poor in recent months that exact details are still awaited) a set of 4 very attractive stamps which commemorate the 60th anniversary of the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. The first new BIOT issue since 6 February 2012.

kursk119

Post by kursk119 »

Where do you find that information?
can't find it anywhere

whiteknight&dog

The new BIOT stamps are currently offered for sale and illustrated on the Tony Bray website.

There are also 5 new British Antarctic Territory sets illustrated including a large set of 16 stamps which depicts the territory's original definitive set of 1963 but this time the top value is £5.

Stewie1980

Post by Stewie1980 »

whiteknight&dog wrote:The new BIOT stamps are currently offered for sale and illustrated on the Tony Bray website.

There are also 5 new British Antarctic Territory sets illustrated including a large set of 16 stamps which depicts the territory's original definitive set of 1963 but this time the top value is £5.
So BAT issued all these this month?

Btw, that Tony Bray guy sells a lot off illegals and his prices for all of his stock are ridiculously high! I looked at his Netherlands pages and his prices allmost gave me a heart attack!

whiteknight&dog

whiteknight&dog wrote:The new BIOT stamps are currently offered for sale and illustrated on the Tony Bray website.

Sorry, I should have written that there are 4 new BAT sets rather than 5. I think that they were issued on 27 November 2013. They are nicely illustrated on the Polar Postal History Society of Great Britain website.

Rovers2

Post by Rovers2 »

Stewie1980 wrote:
They normally issue all their stamps together, as it is one supply ship delivery to the Antarctic Bases
For Falkland Islands Collectors
http://www.fipsg.org.uk

whiteknight&dog

Rovers2 wrote:
Stewie1980 wrote:
They normally issue all their stamps together, as it is one supply ship delivery to the Antarctic Bases
Perfectly understandable, but issuing stamps with a face value of £34.38p all on the same day is not very considerate to their loyal stamp collectors, many of whom are feeling the pinch of the recent economic situation.

kursk119

Post by kursk119 »

whiteknight&dog wrote:

Sorry, I should have written that there are 4 new BAT sets rather than 5. I think that they were issued on 27 November 2013. They are nicely illustrated on the Polar Postal History Society of Great Britain website.
thanks. interesting webpage that one about PPH. The BIOT 60th Anniversary of Coronation does not look like a CASCO issue. If it would have been issued by CASCO for BIOT it would have looked like this one: http://www.postoffice.gov.sh/product_info.php?products_id=973

That same design was issued for: St Helena, Ascension Island, Tristan da Cunha, Isle of Man, British Virgin Islands, Bermuda, Bahamas and even the Cook Islands.
It means that that issue designed by CASCO was released for Pobjoy countries (AScension, Tristan, BVI, Bahamas) and even Philatelic Collector Inc. too (Cook islands) However only the issues from Bermuda and St Helena were displayed in February's Casco's Trade Circular. BIOT must then have a new agent? Tony Bray must have a good contact.

And as usual BAT issuing excessive stamps. do they really need 22 stamps? Falkland islands have a population of 2,500 and they have issued 41 so far. Port Lockroy Cruiseship tourist need so many ???????

Rovers2

Post by Rovers2 »

kursk119 wrote: And as usual BAT issuing excessive stamps. do they really need 22 stamps? Falkland islands have a population of 2,500 and they have issued 41 so far. Port Lockroy Cruiseship tourist need so many ???????
To be fair both the BAT and Falkland numbers include new definitive sets in 2013, the first for five years.

However, it is wise for smaller territories, in general, to have a conservative issuing policy. Not too many minature sheets as well as issues for example.
For Falkland Islands Collectors
http://www.fipsg.org.uk

norvic

Post by norvic »

whiteknight&dog wrote:Perfectly understandable, but issuing stamps with a face value of £34.38p all on the same day is not very considerate to their loyal stamp collectors, many of whom are feeling the pinch of the recent economic situation.
They've had all year to save up their pennies, though :lol:

whiteknight&dog

I have been informed by a contact in South Africa that a set of stamps has been released by Swaziland. The set is titled "Towards 2020" and is apparently on Development themes featuring education, health care, sports etc.

Stewie1980

Post by Stewie1980 »

traralgon3844 wrote:Kenya may slip one in if they issue a stamp alongside Japan for the 50th Anniversary of Diplomatic Relations between the two countries.
According to http://commonwealthstampsopinion.blogspot.nl/ (whiteknight&dog, is that you?) Kenya issued a set for the 50th Anniversary of Diplomatic Relations with China. Stamps printed in China of course.

And a set of 100(!) different stamps for the 50th Anniversary of Independence.

The list becomes shorter again:

Afghanistan
Cameroon
Caribbean Netherlands
Comoros
Congo-Brazzaville
Djibouti
East Timor
Haiti
Kurdistan
Lesotho
Nauru
Nicaragua
Nigeria
Panama
Rwanda
Seychelles
Somalia
South Sudan

Arbousier
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by Arbousier »

Can you tell if stamps will be issued in jamaica during the year 2014? Thank you in advance

whiteknight&dog

Remove Nigeria from the list - a pair of stamps issued during 2013 is being offered for sale on an Internet auction site. The stamps depict flora and appear to be a joint issue with Philippines. Both stamps seem to have small holograms printed on them as is becoming quite common with new Nigerian issues.

markasmith
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by markasmith »

Can we please list East Timor as Timor Leste?

Thank you :)
Perth Stamp & Coin Show 2021 and Swanpex Exhibition at the South Perth Civic Centre
Friday 29, Saturday 30 & Sunday 31 October 2021

norvic

Post by norvic »

markasmith wrote:Can we please list East Timor as Timor Leste?

And Somalia as Jamhuuriyadda Federaalka Soomaaliya ?
Comoros as Udzima wa Komori?

whiteknight&dog

norvic wrote:
markasmith wrote:Can we please list East Timor as Timor Leste?

And Somalia as Jamhuuriyadda Federaalka Soomaaliya ?
Comoros as Udzima wa Komori?
The difference between the 2 above countries and Timor Leste is that Timor Leste is the 'English' name of the country used at The United Nations, not 'East Timor'. In the English list of member states neither of the above local forms is used for Somalia or Comoros.

markasmith

Post by markasmith »

whiteknight&dog is correct, although technically speaking it hails from the Portugese name.

The country's proper name in English (since their independence) is Democratic Republic of Timor Leste, which is shortened to Timor Leste.

All the stamps produced by the new Country to date, carry the name Timor Leste, hence the request.
Perth Stamp & Coin Show 2021 and Swanpex Exhibition at the South Perth Civic Centre
Friday 29, Saturday 30 & Sunday 31 October 2021

Stewie1980

Post by Stewie1980 »

Time for a new list.

Afghanistan
Cameroon
Caribbean Netherlands
Comoros
Congo-Brazzaville
Djibouti
Haiti
Lesotho
Mali
Nauru
Panama
Rwanda
Seychelles
Somalia
South Sudan
Timor Leste

Nigeria is off the list, thanks to info from whiteknight&dog!

Nicaragua is off the list, they issued 1 stamp!

Kurdistan is off the list too, hey issued a set of 4. Officially only valid for local mail, but some previous issued have appeared on international mail.

Mali is added on the list. I don't remember why I didn't added it before... Couldn't find any new stamps.

Caribbean Netherlands: During 2013 there was no postal service operating on the islands, so no stamps issued. Since january 1st 2014 there is a new postal company. No stamps issued yet this year. They are currently using printed labels.

Some countries on the list haven't issued stamps in years.

Somalia for example where the postal company was completely shut down since the civil war started. In 2013 Somali Post was officially relaunched, so maybe there will be stamps in the near future. In 2011 a sheet appeared that was printed by the Chinese (maybe as a gift?) but no official confirmation about the issue.
See also http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=28618&hilit=somalia

Stewie1980

Post by Stewie1980 »

Time for 2014 now.

As far as I know the following countries didn't issued stamps in 2014:

Abkhazia*
Afghanistan
Belize
Benin
Burkina Faso
Congo-Brazzaville
Djibouti
Eritrea
Gabon
Haiti
Kurdistan*
Lesotho
Nauru
Rwanda
Somalia
South Sudan
Sudan
Swaziland
Timor Leste
Yemen

* Not recognized by UPU. Stamps valid for local mail only.

dptashny

Post by dptashny »

Kurdistan stamps are valid for international mail, so it's different from Abkhazia.

whiteknight&dog

Re. 2014:-

The 5 Commonwealth territories you list (Belize, Lesotho, Rwanda, Nauru and Swaziland) do indeed appear to have issued no stamps during 2014 unless some odd surcharge or locally produced item turns up.

I am suspicious that Timor Leste may have issued a stamp on 5 May 2014 as part of an omnibus of issues from Portuguese-speaking countries to commemorate the 800th anniversary of the Portuguese language. Such an issue may or may not eventually turn up. See the blog "Commonwealth Stamps Opinion" no. 519.

Stewie1980

Post by Stewie1980 »

dptashny wrote:Kurdistan stamps are valid for international mail, so it's different from Abkhazia.
Thanks! I didn't knew for sure, but some of those stamps have appeared on international mail. After an online search just now I read that the stamps are indeed valid for international mail and that UPU approved the use of these stamps.
https://stamps.org/userfiles/file/AP/feature/Feature_07_14.pdf

That's good news. Kurdistan is still on my want-list. Is there allreay a world catalogue listing them?
whiteknight&dog wrote:Re. 2014:-

The 5 Commonwealth territories you list (Belize, Lesotho, Rwanda, Nauru and Swaziland) do indeed appear to have issued no stamps during 2014 unless some odd surcharge or locally produced item turns up.

I am suspicious that Timor Leste may have issued a stamp on 5 May 2014 as part of an omnibus of issues from Portuguese-speaking countries to commemorate the 800th anniversary of the Portuguese language. Such an issue may or may not eventually turn up. See the blog "Commonwealth Stamps Opinion" no. 519.
Thanks for the confirmation on those 5 countries! I couldn't find any info on Timor Leste on the Portuguese omnibus issue. Portugal, Brazil and Cape Verde issued the stamp.

There was another omnibus/joint issue in 2014 from France, TAAF, Comores, Madagascar, Mauritius and Seychelles.
For Comores, Madagascar and Seychelles this was their only stamp in 2014.

I only do not know if these stamp actually were available at the PO's in those countries. For the time now they are only available in a presentation pack sold by La Poste.

whiteknight&dog

So, it's the end of February 2016 and we might ask which philatelic entities did not issue stamps, or have "stamps" issued with their names printed on them by some agency or the other, during 2015.

As far as I can tell, within the sphere of Commonwealth countries the following do not appear to have released any stamps in 2015:-

Jamaica
Lesotho
Malawi
Nauru
Rwanda
Saint Lucia
Seychelles
Swaziland
Trinidad And Tobago
Uganda

6 out of 11 of the above are postal services which use CASCO as their philatelic agents. Whether or not persistently issuing no or very few stamps is a good thing is a matter of opinion.

As far as I can tell both South Sudan and Eritrea also did not issue any stamps during 2015. This may also apply to Timor Leste but it is possible that the territory issued a pair of stamps in April 2015 though I haven't seen any being offered for sale.

Stewie1980

Post by Stewie1980 »

Trinidad & Tobago had 2 issues if I am correct. A $1 overprint on a bird definitive and a set and miniature sheet 100 Years Indigenous Banking.

I think we can add many African countries to your list.

As far as I know or after some research:

Angola
Burundi
Comoros
Congo (Brazzaville)
Congo (Kinshasa)
Djibouti
Gabon
Ivory Coast
Mali
Mauritania
Somalia
Sudan

And

Afghanistan
Haiti
Panama
Peru
Yemen

I don't have info about the unrecognized countries Abkhazia and South Ossetia and about the Kurdistan Region in Iraq.

But, info can be scarce from some countries, so it's possible some 2015 issues can turn up later.

whiteknight&dog

Thank you. The Trinidad banking issue had completely missed my attention - it apparently consisted of 3 stamps and a miniature sheet and was reported by a local news service in late September. My new issue dealer has clearly not yet received the issue nor have I seen anyone else offering it for sale.

Certainly, Trinidad And Tobago should be removed from the list.

norvic

Post by norvic »

whiteknight&dog wrote:So, it's the end of February 2016
IN which case it might be an idea to either split this off into a separate thread or get one of the mods to change the thread title to "last year" - not much to be said about 2013 now :?:

Stewie1980

Post by Stewie1980 »

norvic wrote:
whiteknight&dog wrote:So, it's the end of February 2016
IN which case it might be an idea to either split this off into a separate thread or get one of the mods to change the thread title to "last year" - not much to be said about 2013 now :?:
Changing the title is a good idea. Easy to read previous years and to see which countries quit(?) issuing stamps. It looks like the list is getting slowly longer every year...

Edit: I will update the lists of 2013 and 2014 tomorrow. Some African 2014 issues have turned up later in 2015.

Stewie1980

Post by Stewie1980 »

Stewie1980 wrote: Edit: I will update the lists of 2013 and 2014 tomorrow. Some African 2014 issues have turned up later in 2015.
2013: 16

Afghanistan
Cameroon
Caribbean Netherlands
Comoros
Congo (Brazzaville)
Djibouti
Haiti
Lesotho
Mali
Nauru
Panama
Rwanda
Seychelles
Somalia
South Sudan
Timor Leste

2014: 16

Abkhazia
Afghanistan
Belize
Benin
Eritrea
Haiti
Kurdistan
Lesotho
Nauru
Rwanda
Somalia
South Sudan
Sudan
Swaziland
Timor Leste
Yemen

2015: 32!

Abkhazia
Afghanistan
Angola
Burundi
Comoros
Congo (Brazzaville)
Congo (Kinshasa)
Djibouti
Eritrea
Gabon
Haiti
Ivory Coast
Jamaica
Lesotho
Malawi
Mali
Mauritania
Nauru
Panama
Peru
Rwanda
Saint Lucia
Seychelles
Somalia
South Ossetia
South Sudan
Sudan
Swaziland
Timor Leste
Uganda
Yemen

As I said before, info can be scarce from some countries, so it's possible some 2015 issues can turn up later.

whiteknight&dog

This seemingly ever-growing list is an interesting observation and tells us a lot about modern stamp collecting.

Of course some of the countries on the list, such as Somalia, are in a state of conflict making the running of a postal service there very difficult if not impossible and some of them, such as Eritrea, have very strange regimes which may influence the issuing or non-issuing of stamps.

But it seems that a growing number of postal administrations are finding that it is no longer cost effective to produce stamps - it costs more to produce them than is made from selling them to collectors.

I have recently visited Mozambique and visited a couple of post offices (not in Maputo) which did NOT sell any postage stamps at all but used counter-sold labels even for use on postcards. There was certainly no evidence at all of the Stamperija-produced stuff being sold for use as postage stamps. You might say therefore, that if you ignore the Stamperija products, Mozambique is another country that could be added to the list.

In this period of E mailing and counter-generated labels, stamps are clearly now little needed to indicate the pre-payment of postage and if there are too few collectors buying the stamps to make their production financially worthwhile then we can expect Stewie1980's fascinating list to grow even longer in 2017.

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

Just wondering if Haiti, will ever issue stamps again. They haven't issued stamps since 2003 and the earthquakes no doubt made it harder, but Haiti has steadfastily refused to join an agency, although they had some wallpaper issues in the 1960s and 1970s. There was also a series of bogus stamps that emerged after the earthquake I think.

Interesting many of those countries are wallpaper entities and/or banana republics, maybe between agencies. The sliding scale goes, Colonial issues, Independent ethical ones, Casco, IGPC, Stamperija and then nothing?

Stewie1980

Post by Stewie1980 »

whiteknight&dog wrote: Of course some of the countries on the list, such as Somalia, are in a state of conflict making the running of a postal service there very difficult if not impossible and some of them, such as Eritrea, have very strange regimes which may influence the issuing or non-issuing of stamps.

I have recently visited Mozambique and visited a couple of post offices (not in Maputo) which did NOT sell any postage stamps at all but used counter-sold labels even for use on postcards. There was certainly no evidence at all of the Stamperija-produced stuff being sold for use as postage stamps. You might say therefore, that if you ignore the Stamperija products, Mozambique is another country that could be added to the list.
When we look at these agency countries who don't issue stamps on their own anymore we can surely add more countries to the list.

Buf when they DO issue stamps of their own these can be VERY hard to get.

Guinea Republic issued a set of definitives in 2010. Nowhere to be found, only a few used examples on covers. Probably the catalog publishers don't even know this set exists.

Same for the few stamps Mozambique issued which you mentioned on your blog a while back.

Eritrea's last issue was in 2013 to commemorate diplomatic ties or whatever with China. These stamps were a gift from China, like they give to more African countries.

This "Chinese" issue is hard to get. Previous Eritrea issues from 2006 till 2011 haven't showed up at new issue dealers untill 2013!

Stewie1980

Post by Stewie1980 »

Princestamps wrote:Just wondering if Haiti, will ever issue stamps again. They haven't issued stamps since 2003 and the earthquakes no doubt made it harder, but Haiti has steadfastily refused to join an agency, although they had some wallpaper issues in the 1960s and 1970s. There was also a series of bogus stamps that emerged after the earthquake I think.
This bogus 2010 earthquake issue was produced by Stamperija. They distributed it together with all their other new issues, so many dealers received it and many collectors bought it.

I believe the Haitian post or government themselves declared this issue as illegal.

Evil Stamperija, making money out of this tragidy. My guess is they donated not even 1 cent.

whiteknight&dog

Re: Countries with no stamp issues last year

Uganda should be removed from the 2015 list as an issue of 14 stamps and 4 miniature sheets was released there on 27 November to commemorate the visit of Pope Francis to the country and to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the canonisation of the Uganda Martyrs.

Also Cote D'Ivoire and Mali should be removed from the list as they were among the 15 West African states which participated in an omnibus issue to commemorate the 40th anniversary of ECOWAS - each releasing a single identical stamp on 17 December 2015 as well as, possibly, a single stamp miniature sheet.

Return to “You ask the questions - SOMEONE will have the answers!”