Here is a tough topical to find for a digaholic

Stampboards has 1000s of regular readers who WILL take the time to help out even with the most basic question. If you are new to stamps - or taking up the hobby after a long break, there is a lot to learn. PLEASE do not be shy in asking the simplest of questions .. members here will be delighted to help you with the answers!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Sarko#19
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Here is a tough topical to find for a digaholic

Post by Sarko#19 »

Other than stamp collecting(51 years) there is only one other hobby that comes close to this passion. Hi my name is Leslie and I'm a digaholic...that is addicted to metal detecting land and water.

Simple question being is there an issues out ther that actually show a metal detector on it?

HayeSmyth
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Re: Here is a tough topical to find for a digaholic

Post by HayeSmyth »

peterh
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by peterh »

Hi Leslie.

I don't know if there is a stamp illustrating a metal detector, but I'm a detectorist as well, and recognise your details from the detectorist.co.uk forum. I have read your entertaining posts there many times.

Welcome to Stampboards buoy!

AMark
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by AMark »

I didn't think that a metal detector would be depicted on a stamp.
But I am always surprised by the things that appear on stamps.

Uzbekistan 2001

It does pay if you are humble and kind.
Join the November 2020 Cover Exchange ..... OR .... Join the November 2020 Postcard Exchange

Sarko#19

Post by Sarko#19 »

Thanks a ton me son...now in the processes...of digging them up youz!

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

Wouldn't Poland have issued one to honour the man who invented them in WWII?
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

Vempski
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by Vempski »

Well, well, I didn't know a fellow countryman, Józef Stanisław Kosacki, invented the first man-portable mine detector, & to answer the question, no, Poland has not commemorated him with a stamp.
Rick

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

Kept secret for over 50 years.

There is an episode of the BBC series "Coast" that while in Scotland, showed you the details behind his invention and the need for secrecy. You don't tell the ememy that you can find all their mines!

Wikipedia:

"In the pre-war period the Department of Artillery of Poland's Ministry of National Defence ordered the construction of a device that could be helpful in locating duds on artillery training grounds. The instrument was designed by the AVA Wytwórnia Radiotechniczna, but its implementation was prevented by the outbreak of the Polish Defensive War. Following the fall of Poland and the transfer of Polish HQ to France, work restarted on the device, this time intended as a mine detector. Little is known of this stage of construction as the work was stopped by the Battle of France and the need to evacuate the Polish personnel to Great Britain.

There in late 1941 Lieutenant Józef Kosacki devised a final version, based partially on the earlier designs. His invention was not patented; he gave it as a gift to the British Army. He was given a letter of thanks from the King for this act. His design was accepted and 500 mine detectors were immediately sent to El Alamein where they doubled the speed of the British Eighth Army.[2][3] During the war more than 100,000 of this type were produced, together with several hundred thousands of further developments of the mine detector (Mk. II, Mk. III and Mk IV). The detector was used later during the Allied invasion of Sicily, the Allied invasion of Italy and the Invasion of Normandy. This type of detector was used by the British Army until 1995.

An attempt was made to mount a version of the mine detector on a vehicle so that sappers would be less vulnerable. To this end "Lulu" (on a Sherman tank) and subsequently "Bantu" (on a Staghound armoured car) were developed. The detector mechanism was in non-metallic rollers on arms held away from the vehicle. When the roller passed over a mine, or a similar piece of metal, the roller it was under was indicated in the vehicle. Prototypes were built but never tried in combat.[4]"

Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

Sarko#19

Post by Sarko#19 »

peterh wrote:Hi Leslie.

I don't know if there is a stamp illustrating a metal detector, but I'm a detectorist as well, and recognise your details from the detectorist.co.uk forum. I have read your entertaining posts there many times.

Nice to meet you here too. Winter is stmp time and the rest of the year detecting. Can't wait to get back over to the UK for my yearly dig...have a m8 in Lincoln.

Sarko#19

thanks

Post by Sarko#19 »

Looked through a few Scotts but couldn't find any myself. If anyone has any I'll gladly trade....and send first. Thanks again!

Philanthropist
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by Philanthropist »

peterh wrote:Hi Leslie.

Small world :roll:
Would the Princess Diana wearing a protective face mask stamps, near a former mine field, have any mine detectors in the back ground.
Interesting to read the development of the instrument.
Regards

Return to “NO question is too basic or silly - you ask - we WILL help you with it!”