The Long Room - General Cricket Related Chat

Discussion of anything you like. Sport, stamps, politics, religion, weather, world disasters, news articles - whatever. Things generally NOT stamp related belong in here. Please keep it CIVIL and polite though! We encourage lively discussion on all things.

Moderators: gmoney, Volunteer Moderator Team

TheRoyalCounty
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

The Long Room - General Cricket Related Chat

Post by TheRoyalCounty »

Now that the 2013/14 Ashes series is over; thoughts turn to other Cricket matters.

The Long Room is the forum for general cricket chit chat; feel free to add any cricket news, results, useful links, opinion, sledging, photographs etc. etc.

To start the ball rolling a couple of items that caught my eye....

I see Australia's first tour match in South Africa has been abandoned without a ball being bowled; this is Australia's only warm-up match before the first Test that starts 12 February at Centurion.

South Africa meanwhile had a generally trouble free day in their final warm-up against Rest of South Africa.
It will be interesting to see how the lack of cricket affects the Australian preparations as they have not had a competitive match now for about 4 months!!!!!!!

Elsewhere, John Mooney has left Ireland's tour of the West Indies due to a stress-related illness.
More on that story here:
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/cricket/26029941
In their first match Ireland were well beaten by Guyana in the Nagico Super50 Tournament and things did not improve with another heavy defeat against Jamaica 04 February.
Down the 'corridor of uncertainty'

ewen s
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Re: The Long Room - General Cricket Chat

Post by ewen s »

Great thread. I am watching Perth on their way to a T20 final. The Sixers need 45 off 20 in a rain-affected match so the Scorchers should have it.

Gotta go, this is exciting :D

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Be interesting to see how the ozzies do in RSA . .they are quite a team down there.

TheRoyalCounty

Post by TheRoyalCounty »

ewen s wrote:I am watching Perth on their way to a T20 final. The Sixers need 45 off 20 in a rain-affected match so the Scorchers should have it.
Decent match, fantastic penultimate over from Pat Cummins....quick too. Lumb and Bopara can't buy a run.
Global Administrator wrote:Be interesting to see how the ozzies do in RSA . .they are quite a team down there.
No.1 Test team against the No.1 'Wannabes' - for the neutrals it's set up nicely, the Proteas to shade it but the absence of Kallis might be telling.

ivqii
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Post by ivqii »

Who here has been in the Long Room during a match?

Very atmospheric - you could swear the click of the boots is that of Hobbs or Bradman
Nobody will ever win the Battle of the Sexes. There's just too much fraternizing with the enemy

TheRoyalCounty

Post by TheRoyalCounty »

ivqii wrote:Who here has been in the Long Room during a match?
They don't let riff-raff like me anywhere near the Long Room; the closest I got was having my picture taken outside the pavilion after play against the Kiwis in 1983, I was soon moved on by a white coated steward.

Lord's on a Saturday...one of life's great pleasures.

ewen s

Post by ewen s »

I'll admit I needed to look up what it was. Not I, but a test at Lords is most definitely on my 'bucket list'.

This will be a great thread to discuss the resurgence of NZ as they climb the rankings.

Also looking forward to discussion on how Australia, India and England are doing their best to wrest control of the coffers and get rid of cricket as a world game.

jrg
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Post by jrg »

ewen s wrote:Also looking forward to discussion on how Australia, India and England are doing their best to wrest control of the coffers and get rid of cricket as a world game.
My view is that it is the BCCI which wants control (we generate most of the world revenue, so we'll run the game), and they have generously allowed the old enemies, AUS and ENG, to tag along to give the power group "respectability".

Shame on the BCCI for even thinking they can get away with it.

Shame on ECB and CA for being party to such b/s.
John

Looking for used pre-decimal OS/NSW and G/NSW state perfins, and NWPI KGV overprints.

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

Since the forthcoming Australia v South Africa thread is unlikely to provide anything like the numbers in the recent Ashes threads, I agree that this should become the repository for Australia's future incredible victory and return to Number One (or whatever when we get demolished). And of course everything else cricket, including the upcoming World 20/20 and next years 50/50 World Cup.

The Long Room is a lovely title for a permanent Cricket thread.

Norm
Geelong, VFA Premiers 1878, 1879, 1800, 1882, 1883, 1884, 1886, AFL Premiers 1925, 1931, 1937, 1951, 1952, 1963, 2007, 2009, 2011, .

ivqii

Post by ivqii »

Right lets get the unspoken truth out of the way

Lords is a totally crappy cricket ground

It's great for the MCC members ( about a 15 year waiting list for full membership ), corporate guests and for the players once they get used to the slope

But for the ordinary bloke who pays £85 - 100 for a day's cricket it is in truth a nightmare

- The best seats from a viewing point of view ( behind the wicket obviously ) are at the mercy of the weather so you sit in blazing sun or pouring sun completely uncovered

- As for the other seats quite a few of them do not have a complete view of the field

- The perimeters are very small and completely inadequate to hold the crowds at lunchtime - jostle and push time

- Catering ( although in quality terms miles better than it used to be ) is VERY expensive eg £8.50 for a sausage in a roll and £5.50 for a pie

Having said that I have been probably about 30 times and would still go every opportunity I get - the history just comes up through your shoe soles and the atmosphere is amazing - but it's still a crappy ground

Oh and The RoyalCounty - I have been in the Member's and hence the Long Room twice each time via a connection
Nobody will ever win the Battle of the Sexes. There's just too much fraternizing with the enemy

ivqii

Post by ivqii »

OOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPs

Pouring rain obviously :oops:

You don't get pouring sun in the UK :mrgreen:

TheRoyalCounty

Post by TheRoyalCounty »

ivqii wrote:Oh and The RoyalCounty - I have been in the Member's and hence the Long Room twice each time via a connection
There was me thinking you were a member with your MCC tie and on personal terms with great and the good!!

Ireland hosts it's games at Malahide Castle in Dublin and Stormont in Belfast. Given the rapid rise in interest in the game here, crowds are increasing but without the facilities to cope both use temporary stands. That said, both are in lovely locations and great places to watch cricket...if the weather holds!!

So, this leads me to my question....where's your favourite place to watch cricket; past or present?

Me? Fenners in Cambridge, home to Cambridge University CC, holds very special memories for me watching the stars of the day play. I used to sneak in when the touring international sides played and it was where my love of Surrey CCC was formed thanks to a brilliant knock by John Edrich one summers afternoon.
I also faced a delivery from Joel Garner in the nets....I never saw it!

I was also fortunate to see Galle and Kandy in Sri Lanka 11 years ago, the former just before it was devastated by the tsunami a year later, a stunning backdrop for cricket.

Blundstone Arena in Tasmania always looks great with the views beyond indeed I have to say the stadiums in Australia all look fantastic.

Kennethsequeira

Post by Kennethsequeira »

jrg wrote: Shame on the BCCI for even thinking they can get away with it.

Shame on ECB and CA for being party to such b/s.
ECB and CA used to do the same in the 80's and 90's.. They used to pick and choose their tours.....

From espncricinfo

---- The BCCI will emerge the biggest beneficiary under the proposed revenue distribution plan, its earning increasing in the range between US$ 63 million and US$ 766 million. Srinivasan said that none of the other boards had objections to India taking a higher share of the revenue because there was universal recognition of India's contribution to cricket's global revenues.

"A strong India with a vibrant commercial structure is good for world cricket," he said.

"The other members in the committee realised that India's concerns were legitimate and therefore it led to a discussion, out of which all these proposals came".

Srinivasan also maintained the ICC's stance that Associate members stand to gain, financially and on the field, from the proposals. "I'll explain it to you. In the last rights cycle, a total of US$ 314 million was allocated to the Associates. But actually the Associates, in terms of money, got US$ 125 million directly from the ICC. And then the balance went by way of subscriptions collected from them, ICC administration costs, event costs, tournament costs, and costs of running some programmes - umpires' programmes or high performance programmes etc. So basically it is 125 plus cost.

"Now, in this proposal … they are likely to get 200 plus costs. The top performing Associates will get almost a 100 million, which is what was [previously] given to all of them.

"What has been their concern at all times? They say we are playing only amongst each other, we never get to play you. So there is an opportunity now, in time. You can't look at things overnight, you take a 10-year cycle, 20 years. A top Associate can become a top Test nation, that possibility is there."

-------------------------------

Apart from BCCI, ECB and CA- NZ, WI, BD, Zim support them for obivious reasons of gauranteed touring.

Getting Lorgat in the fold would get CSA on board too...

PCB and SL will fall in line.
Last edited by Kennethsequeira on 06 Feb 2014 23:12, edited 3 times in total.
Collecting Interest: Cricket; India: Joint Issues, Flags on stamps
Mint MS : India,UAE,Canada & Malaysia

ivqii

Post by ivqii »

Favourite ground?

Well I haven't been to that many

The Test grounds

Lords
Kingsmead
Wanderers ( in fact I saw the 1st Test ball ever bowled there - Heine to Richardson )
Newlands - the most beautiful of the big venues in my opinion
Aegeas Bowl Southampton ( where coincidentally I also saw the 1st Test ball bowled - Anderson to Paranavitana )

But head and shoulders above any ground I know - Arundel - http://www.cricketatarundelcastle.co.uk

TheRoyalCounty

Post by TheRoyalCounty »

Arundel looks fabulous, exactly how an English cricket pitch should...

Changing tack; here's an Irish insight into the draft proposals for Test cricket...
http://www.cricketeurope4.net/DATABASE/ARTICLES8/articles/000026/002636.shtml
Definitely worth a read (as are most Odran Flynn articles)

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

The final of the Australian + 20,000,000 international players 20/20 is about to start, with two outsider teams Tassie and Perth participating, both having rolled the two favourites in the semi-finals. Should be a bit of fun.

Norm
Geelong, VFA Premiers 1878, 1879, 1800, 1882, 1883, 1884, 1886, AFL Premiers 1925, 1931, 1937, 1951, 1952, 1963, 2007, 2009, 2011, .

TheRoyalCounty

Post by TheRoyalCounty »

Watching from here; it looks like the weather wont be a factor!!

Hurricanes to win

ewen s

Post by ewen s »

fromdownunder wrote:The final of the Australian + 20,000,000 international players 20/20 is about to start, with two outsider teams Tassie and Perth participating, both having rolled the two favourites in the semi-finals. Should be a bit of fun.

Nortm
Hard to say outsiders when it's Perth's 3rd consecutive grand final!

phyvillo
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by phyvillo »

Disaster at the WACA the members has run out of beer.

Call the game off.

Phil
Collecting Australian Pre-Decimal and Australian States

ewen s

Post by ewen s »

Lookin good for the Scorchers... C'mon fellas

TheRoyalCounty

Post by TheRoyalCounty »

A tough ask for Hurricanes from here...

Great atmosphere, well bowled Hoggggyyyyyy!

phyvillo

Post by phyvillo »

Yep Hogg did very well at the age of 40 something, maybe time for me to make a comeback.

Well done WA good performance. They will be hard to beat in the Champions League.

Phil

ewen s

Post by ewen s »

To be honest the Scorchers are an average team but they have played their guts out. Katich and Simmons have really been the engine room.

But I tell you, there is nothing like being at the WACA and hearing the roar unleashed and growing around the ground, when Brad Hogg gets even close to fielding the ball, let alone bowls.

TheRoyalCounty

Post by TheRoyalCounty »

ewen s wrote:To be honest the Scorchers are an average team
The same point was made in the post-match analysis here; the Scorchers will struggle against the top IPL sides. IMHO the CL will be much the poorer for the absence of the Stars; 8/8 in the league format while the Scorchers were 5/8 & Hurricanes 4/8.

Elsewhere, across the Tasman it seems the Kiwis have put themselves in a strong position after day 2 of the 1st Test against the Indians; at least one SB member will be happy!

It's also worth highlighting Kumar Sangakkara has scored 424 (319 & 105) runs for Sri Lanka in the 2nd Test against Bangladesh; this one's a proper run-fest with 1330 runs scored in 4 days...

ewen s

Post by ewen s »

TRC, I have held off talking about the Kiwis out of respect to the Ashes, which most of us NZers love.

We are cooking something special though. Williamson is fulfilling his potential, McCullum is thriving as Captain, Taylor is fast becoming the new Martin Crowe and the icing is a genuine fast bowler in Boult, and a genuine all rounder in Anderson.

Watch. This. Space. 8)

TheRoyalCounty

Post by TheRoyalCounty »

Ewen
Yes, the Australia/England series has consumed us rather and we forget that other cricket is being played.
It's certainly a strong looking Kiwi side...and your timing couldn't be better with England's (alleged) demise...

Come 2015 when we meet again prior to the Ashes series the Test rankings may well look quite different than today.

Here's the current (20 Jan 2014) ranking:
The current ODI/T20 rankings can also be seen here:
https://www.espncricinfo.com/rankings/content/current/page/211271.html

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

Wow! New Zealand have smashed India (so far)

04.48 (IST): Its all over! Wagner gets the wicket of Mohammed Shami to bring an end to the Indian innings on 202, giving his side a 301-run lead. Still to find out if the follow-on will be induced.

04.39 (IST): This is going from bad to worse for India. Ishant Sharma is also gone! He tries to play over the top and can't clear the in-field. He is gone caught by Boult off Southee. India 189/9.

04.35 (IST): Zaheer is gone! He is caught behind by wicketkeeper BJ Watling. India 188/8.

04.30 (IST): Despite the tight field, Zaheer is freeing his arms and playing his shots here. India 185/7, trail NZ by 318 runs.

04.17 (IST): Three slips, gully, a short point, a short cover and a forward short leg for Zaheer Khan and he still manages to hit one through the off-side for four. India 176/7.

04.11 (IST): Dhoni is gone! Neil Wagner gets the Indian skipper to edge the ball to wicketkeeper BJ Watling who completes a good catch behind the stumps. India 167/7, trail New Zealand by 336 runs.

New Zealand did not enforce the follow on and are two runs, one wicket in their second innings.

Norm

TheRoyalCounty

Post by TheRoyalCounty »

The Indian sides of recent years never seem to tour well - that's a gut feeling rather than backed up with research....

Question:
Is the refusal to enforce the follow-on the new captaincy tactical vogue? It certainly seems that way. Perhaps it's more to do with how wickets are prepared now....?

ewen s

Post by ewen s »

Thanks for the 'mockers' Norm, now 15/4... :shock:

TheRoyalCounty

Post by TheRoyalCounty »

"Are you England in disguise?" :lol:

ewen s

Post by ewen s »

I think it's to deny the other side the batting practise they need. Set a high enough total that the other team has to survive for two days rather than chase. Then set your attacking field and watch them try to play straight bats with three slips in.

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

ewen s wrote:Thanks for the 'mockers' Norm, now 15/4... :shock:
My sincere apology. New Zealand are now 80/8. But surely chasing 380+ is going to be a tough task, even if you have two days to do it?

Note: In future, I am going to go with the runs/wickets way of posting scores here, rather that wickets/runs. I have turned to the dark side.

Norm

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

80/9

Norm

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

105 All Out. India need 407, and will be challenging history:

West Indies 418/7 won v Australia St John's 9 May 2003
South Africa 414/4 won v Australia Perth 17 Dec 2008
India 406/4 won v West Indies Port of Spain 7 Apr 1976
Australia 404/3 won v England Leeds 22 Jul 1948

Higher scores (actually 15 of them) have been made in the 4th innings, but if India wins, this will be the third highest winning fourth innings total ever. Out of well over 2,000 tests.

Norm

TheRoyalCounty

Post by TheRoyalCounty »

With India 87/1 and a cricketing eternity left in the match we could be about to see the 3rd highest run chase....notice I said 'could'!!

The bookies are offering odds of 5/4 for an Indian victory.

Kennethsequeira

I wish for a good 4th innings... At end of Day 2, when I slept I saw India batting highlights... India trailed 300 odd....When I got up for Day 3 live coverage, India was batting again needing 300 to win :mrgreen:

ewen s

Post by ewen s »

India need 245 with 8 wickets in hand. Kohli (45) and Dhawan (74) are set.

I am starting to get that sick feeling in my stomach.

phyvillo

Post by phyvillo »

End of over 54 (11 runs) India 180/2
S Dhawan 81* (152b 9x4) KS Williamson 3-0-18-0
V Kohli 55* (82b 10x4) IS Sodhi 8-2-39-0
1.03pm A shake of hands between Dhawan and Kohli as they walk off. They have added 83 already. There is a bit of swagger as they walk off. It was gripping cricket for most of the session. Southee and Wagner bowled superbly through that first hour, but the dour response from both Kohli and Dhawan was exemplary. They defended and left through the hour. They absorbed and absorbed the pressure until New Zealand went to the change bowlers. And then they cashed in on the lesser bowlers. This is excellent Test-match batting. There is no swing or reverse-swing. The pitch has only got better to bat on
Brendon McCullum of all people should have known these drop-in pitches don't deteriorate. They actually get better. They were in denial last night - at least in public - about a blunderous day yesterday. At least Neil Waner's press conference suggested that. There will be second thoughts now as they have lunch. They still have an even chance to win this game, but they made huge mistakes yesterday, both with strategy and with the execution of the wrong strategy
We will be back in 40

From espncricinfo commentary. website link http://www.espncricinfo.com/ then go to live scorecard.

I am sure New Zealand are now thinking hard about not enforcing the follow on. Lots of time to play still, however those 400 odd run chase victories as history tells us, are like hens teeth. Looking good for a close finish at this stage. Will be locked to cricinfo as I do mundane computer tasks. Oh and of course stampboards. :mrgreen:

Phil

ewen s

Post by ewen s »

Wagner makes some music and Dhawan is gone. Indian 248/4. 25 minutes till tea, should be an exciting spell.

How experienced are India; number 6 is in but they have Dhoni still to come.

The sickness in the stomach has settled back to just butterflies. 2 more before tea and I'll be a lot happier.

Can't believe this is Day 4, feels like the last day.

ewen s

Post by ewen s »

And Boult takes a wicket with the first new ball delivery.

LBW with a thick inside edge. India doesn't agree with the DRS so can't complain. I'll take 'em any way we can.

It rests on Dhoni, a very capable cricketer, to survive until tea to start with, and then guide India home.

Kennethsequeira

DRS or no DRS .......Poor umpiring from Steve Davis :(

Here is where 3rd Umpire or match referee should step in.. Broadcasters showed the Hot Spot inside edge even before he reached half way back to pavilion.

The 4th umpire should also be at the sidelines

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

Sharma out 1st ball after tea.

Norm

ewen s

Post by ewen s »

First ball after tea -wicket to Southee!

I agree with you Phil but there should be an agreed way of referring that is standard across all tests.

Kennethsequeira

Agreed way does not mean DRS, 1 referral until 80 overs and then gets renewed....

So all decisions does not get a standard check

phyvillo

Post by phyvillo »

Less then 100 to go now 4 wickets in hand and the batsmen attacking, wish I could watch the game!! As I am getting excited with a ciricinfo text commentary. Could be one of those games where everyone in NZ says they were there. Down to 92 runs while typing.

What a great game.

Phil

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

Seven for... 83 runs to win.

It's hard to believe that this is only the fourth day.

Norm

fromdownunder

Post by fromdownunder »

Eight for... 58 runs to win.

Is it just me, or is Wagner bowling from outside the popping crease?

Norm

ewen s

Post by ewen s »

He does a bit Norm.

Both sides looking for a hero...

ewen s

Post by ewen s »

Dhoni drags on to his stumps but it's a no-ball!

I can't watch this

ewen s

Post by ewen s »

Still out! You called it earlier Norm, what do you think?

Return to “'The Water Cooler' - A relaxing and FUN place to let off some steam ......”