Stamp Mounting, what do you use?

Stampboards has 1000s of regular readers who WILL take the time to help out even with the most basic question. If you are new to stamps - or taking up the hobby after a long break, there is a lot to learn. PLEASE do not be shy in asking the simplest of questions .. members here will be delighted to help you with the answers!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Gillian
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Stamp Mounting, what do you use?

Post by Gillian »

Just wondering, what method of stamp mounting do people here favour? I just use hinges as I just collect for fun and not for profit. I have thought of using mounts, but am not sure which ones give me best value for money or are the most convenient.

Thanks.

Gillian

Brit-Col
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Re: Stamp Mounting

Post by Brit-Col »

Welcome Gillian.

Since you say you collect just for fun, I will assume that you are not collecting expensive stamps and perhaps not even mint stamps.

Nothing wrong with that, there are a great many inexpensive stamps which are attractive and that feature interesting subjects and themes, and that can provide a lot of enjoyment.

If that is the case I'd suggest just continuing to hinge. The cost of mounts can add up fast and the expense is not worth it for cheap stamps. Save the money and buy more stamps!

On the other hand, if you are collecting pricier material, especially mint, the extra protection is worth it.

Personally I don't use either hinges or mounts much - I prefer stock books - but I have a small supply of Showgard mounts for the occasional need.

BC
Good judgment is gained from experience. Experience is gained from poor judgment.

vikingeck
PLATINUM Shooting Star *10,000* Posts!
PLATINUM Shooting Star  *10,000* Posts!

Re: Stamp Mounting

Post by vikingeck »

Stock books are OK, but if you join a stamp club and your collection becomes known to others you might find you want to show! I am a social animal and like to exhibit in my own club and travel quite a bit to other clubs.

Stamp clubs have member participation evenings , bring along a few sheets on a theme or topic . As your collection grows, you might be asked to show more than just a few sheets . For these, stockbooks are no good. You have to mount on pages ,and often you have to be prepared to remount and rewrite pages as the collection grows. That is part of the interest and acquisition of knowledge .

For 40 years I have used light hinges with 90% of my material and Transparent mounts for Expensive mint . As Brit -Col suggests the cost of the mounts soon adds up.
whatever it is -------it's better than a poke in eye with a wet umbrella !

dj_claz
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Re: Stamp Mounting, what do you use?

Post by dj_claz »

Personally I hinge all used stamps and 'lower value' mint stamps - generally under £10 cat value. If the mint stamps are previously unhinged I may mount. Anything of great value I use mounts for protection more than anything.

Although costly new, I generally pick up bulk lots of mounts, either off ebay or at auctions.

Good luck with expanding your collection!

OldDuffer1
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by OldDuffer1 »

I'm afraid I use transparent Gard type mounts all the time just because I like the look of them! If purchased as strips are not too expensive.

mjkerpan

Post by mjkerpan »

This topic is relevant to my interests as well. I'm just getting started in the whole collecting thing and am not 100% sure of what I want to do beyond moving my collection out of a spare desk drawer. Most of my collection is currently made up of modern self-adhesives on their original souvenir sheets plus a few clipped covers and I'm at a loss when it comes to figuring out the display thing.

Brit-Col

Post by Brit-Col »

You might consider Hawid mounts which come in various sizes.

https://www.showgard.com/coin-stamp-results.cfm?ID=8&title=Hawid%20Mounts

Alternately you may prefer stock pages which come with varying numbers of pockets per page. I use Vario brand but there are other good brands.

http://www.lighthouse.us/epages/lighthouse.sf/en_US/?ObjectP ... 03/US_2206

You can buy these items from any dealer who sells supplies as well as stamps, if you prefer not to buy online. There is usually at least one supplies seller at just about any stamp show/bourse.

If you're just getting started you need some basic supplies anyway, such as a pair of stamp tongs, a perforation gauge, a watermark tray and fluid, and a magnifying glass.

BC
Good judgment is gained from experience. Experience is gained from poor judgment.

mcgooley
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by mcgooley »

Before I answer, I'll endorse Brit-Col's comments regarding stamp tongs/tweezers, perforation gauge and magnifying glass. Really helpful toys in this here hobby 8) I would have added a catalogue to the range.

Mounting stamps depends on a wide variety of factors; for example, consider some pre-printed albums like the pair portrayed in Filling spaces - my SG Imperial Album - a 'space' odyssey. Using mounts are too bulky - I have a 1910 Schaubek World Album for which hinges are the only method which will ever work.
(The catalogue helping to hold up the album is the earliest I own, 1930, and still too late to help me with some of the countries which have shuffled off this mortal coil...)

If you are using personally designed and printed pages, the field is wide open. As has been discussed above; mint unhinged stamps are generally begging for mounts; used, or mint-no-gum (MNG) are less fussy about their housing requirements.

Stockbooks - as opposed to stock pages (e.g. Vario or Hagner) - have some issues as your collection expands... consider the image below:
Those seven stockbooks were supposed to house my collection of postmarks. Now they hold the postmarks which haven't found their way into the 23 400-page binders which now hold my collection; nearly all of which are hinged onto purpose-designed pages.

On the same track, a member here has dunnamany binders for her world-wide collection which continues to grow exponentially. Her choice is Vario stock-pages.

Stamp collecting is/should be a relaxing hobby. Using hinges has a long and illustrious history - they are cheap and readily available - and the only drawback is their (semi-)permanent nature in your album (and the need for copious amounts of drinking water....)

It really ends up being your personal preference. Your own sense of style, regarding album pages, will dictate what you choose. If you are an exhibitionist, you might want to consider the ability of being able to rearrange stamps on sheets for a "bring and brag" night at a stamp club... down the track.

If, on the other hand, you're a closet collector who eschews the public arena - then you use the method of arranging and displaying your stamps which pleases you the most.

I'll end by making a (very) general observation about stamp collecting... as a sometime secretary of a little stamp club; there are as many ways of collecting stamps as there are stamps themselves. There is no right or wrong way to collect: there are, however, wrong ways to curate your collection.

Use hinges or mounts. The method doesn't really matter. What does matter is that you open the books and look at them on a regular basis. Store the albums vertically, as you would ordinary books on a shelf - - paper needs to breathe.
FORESTS OLD, PASTURES NEW
"Truth is stranger than Fiction, but that is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." MARK TWAIN

Machaggis52
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by Machaggis52 »

I use stockbooks and Hagner sheets.
With kind regards, Jim

mjkerpan

Post by mjkerpan »

Lots of good hints here. I'm currently leaning towards using stock pages in a binder (the Vario Grande size looks useful) as most of my stamps are currently in the form of sheets and booklets. As I accquire more singles and wish to build more elaborate displays, I may well look into album pages.

rtvstamps
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by rtvstamps »

:D I am using mounts (clear for mint & used stamps) and Klembinders, both of Lighthouse.

Regards!
Rodolfo

hutch

Post by hutch »

Lots of good points being made by members here!

In my younger days, I used hinges...as did most people as that was the way it was done. When I got back into collecting again after quite a few years, I decided not to use hinges as they are rather restricting unless you use pre-printed pages or albums.

I went out and bought a dozen stock books but was not at all happy with them. I'm not sure where I first came by Vario sheets but after the first time I used them, I was hooked! My stockbooks are great for spares but my stamps look so good on the black Vario pages.

I use 3" wide office binders to house all my sheets....the albums now number 72 and I just bought another 6 as several countries really need two albums each.

If your collection is not too big you can put them in anyway you like. I have spaces for missing stamps as I like to have them in catalogue order and I used to get really sick of having to shift all the stamps around just to fit in one or two more...must be a slow learner huh!

Pre-printed pages have the same effect...gaps for all the ones you are missing! But it is great to fill them in...very satisfying!

Enjoy your collecting. If I may add a comment here, start off small and see if you are happy with the results. If you try a little bit of everything..stock book, printed pages, Vario sheets, You will quickly work out which one you want to go with. I know people who have invested lots of money in a particular type of storage and then discovered they didn't like it all that much!

hutch
I am having fun collecting WW and Indian States.

jjarmstrong47
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by jjarmstrong47 »

We use hinges at the club for most of the stamps on exchange sheets which works fairly well for used stamps but people use them for unused stamps as well. The problem with this is that many people don't seem to be able to control the lick and so many of these stamps get stuck to the page where the moisture has spread onto the gum.

I've also found that a lot of older stamps have hinges that have discoloured, possibly due to the action of saliva on the gum, and often this has spread to the stamp as well.

The worst I've seen was an album where the collector made their own hinges from loops of sellotape and after a few years, everything was ruined.

Stockbooks are good if you buy the better ones but you will find you will be constantly shuffling things to make room. Hagners and Vario pages allow you to add or move pages but they can be expensive. I have seen old stock books with removable pages but they seem to have been replaced by Hagners and Vario.

Sadly, far too many of mine are in boxes, still waiting for their place in the albums. I really should stop buying more until I catch up.
Where do the years go? I went from philandering to philately and didn't even notice.
http://www.engravedstamps.net

capetriangle

Post by capetriangle »

All concerned

For my exhibits I prefer Lighthouse clear mounts.

In the collection Dad used to use black Hawid or Showgard (essentially the same plastic product as Lighthouse or Scott) mounts for unmounted mint (NH) stamps and I have also. I tend now to be less favorable to the Showgard style (the ones with the split backs) since increasingly as a professional I have seen stamps with gum damaged by what is called "a mount salivation line," horizontally across the stamp - as a result of excessive moisture seeping in and damaging the all-important formerly pristine gum.

I do not use Prinz products at all.

For most used stamps (except rarities) hinges are fine.

However I do not used hinges on covers.

Kindest regards

Richard Debney

JMH67
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by JMH67 »

For used stamps, I use hinges, too. The few mint stamps that I keep are in stockbooks with glassine strips (not with polymer ones, as there are types that can chemically damage the stamps), and I also use such stockbooks to store some duplicates. Just like others, I do not think mounts are worth the extra expense.

Speaking of hinges - there used to be "double sided" ones, which were not folded, but gummed on both sides halfway down from opposite ends. They are even less bulky than the usual hinges gummed on one side only. Are these still made, and if so, who sells them?

-jmh

Battyrat
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by Battyrat »

At the moment I am using black mounts for my stamps in my albums, but as has been suggested they are expensive.As the collection grows and I need to start to re arrange it more I expect I will eventually move back to old fashioned hinges. All of my stamps are used so affixing a hinge to the back will not be too much of a problem. I prefer used stamps as I quite like postmarks and feel a stamp without one is rather naked. They add another rather interesting dimension to the collection. However saying that I like to see the perforations or margins on a stamp which is difficult unless they are housed in a black mount.

Preferred pages are off white, pure white pages seem to suite modern stamps more. I find often pure white pages to be too harsh on the eyes and may distract slightly from old stamps. Albums I tend to use are Gibbons Simplex albums simply because they are easy to find. But I don't like the way the pages do not lay flat when the albums are open. You cannot simply open an album and it lays flat on the table. You physically have to hold the pages open which means I don't have a free hand when I need it to hold eye lens or another stamp when I wish to compare it. I used to use Gibbons peg fitting Exeter albums as when opened the pages used to lay flat, but in recent years I cannot seem to find a new one anywhere. It may come to pass that eventually when the time comes I may start to look for good quality ring binder albums which will make using two hand instead of three or four more easy.

Many old letters and stamps on more square cut pieces I use those Acid free photo mounts that hold the corners of the item to the page. They work fairly well unless the item is bulky.

Stock books I have a love hate relationship with. I love to use them but believe that they must be changed every couple of years simply because the thick card can absorb moisture and I don't like to see a tatty album. It dose not take long with continuous use for a stock book to start to get a bit grubby.
Loves to collect Lundy Island and 12 miles as straight as the Puffin flies South East another little island called England.

Gillian

Post by Gillian »

Thanks for all the comments.

Brit-Col, you assume correctly that I mostly collect inexpensive, used stamps. I was happy to read that you reckon it's ok to use ordinary stamp hinges for these.The majority of these come off envelopes people use to send my husband qsl cards for contacts made on amateur radio.

Vikingeck, I am nowhere near a stamp club, so am highly unlikely to find myself needing to do a demonstration or exhibition of my stamps anytime soon.

McGooley, thanks for the hint about storing albums vertically, as on a book shelf. I'll have to find space somewhere to do that.

Hutch, you mentioned something about having to move stamps around in your albums so that you could have them in the right order. I gave up doing this some time ago as it meant being well-organized, which I am not, so I remove the stamps by the traditional method, lay them on pieces of kitchen roll to dry, then put them in a plastic container, eventually putting them into album pages, using hinges.

I have three albums of my own and have also started using my son's album as I was running out of space for Italian, Japanese a USA stamps. I think I like his the best as it has loose leaves and also spare leaves which can be moved to where they're needed. I have some mint stamps which I collected from the post office at one time - they kept any new stamps for my son many years ago when he was collecting them. I might put these in stock books.

Gillian

Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

For me Hawids or Hingeless for my stamps. Hingeless is the albums with mounts already in them. A few items go in stockbooks, but if its over £20 the stamp will live in a mount, even the best stockbooks tone in our humid climate.

You can never go wrong with Hawid or Davo mounts (The two brands I can get here in Auckland), I have stamps I mounted in them 5 or 8 years ago and they are still perfect.

Rod Perry

Post by Rod Perry »

When I collected stamps, I used peelable hinges, for mint as well as used (for covers, corner mounts fashioned specifically for the purpose).

I liked my stamps to breath.

The hinges went on the most humble, to the most magnificent.

An example of the latter is coming up at Corinphila soon:

The greatest item extant of Victoria, SG 1a in unique and superb largest multiple (the SG 1 group of Victoria is on a par with Canada 12d Black for rarity)
I hinged this block to my exhibit without a care.

Corinphila has it estimated at 30,000CHF.

A bargain at that price. I paid £22,000 for it in the Boker auction of 1981.

Rod
(miffed not to be included in provenance of this item in Corinphila sale)
Preserve DNA - retain covers intact. Scientists may be grateful!
Commercial covers represent “Stamps in Action”: Philately’s last Great Frontier

Gillian

Post by Gillian »

Hi Rod, what are peelable hinges? What is their advantage over normal hinges?

Gillian

Michael Beharry

Post by Michael Beharry »

Gillian wrote:Hi Rod, what are peelable hinges? What is their advantage over normal hinges?

Gillian
Means the hinges can be easily 'peeled' off the stamp or album page without biting out a chunk of either (although this doesn't always happen and a nice stamp can be thinned behind). Some brands may be better than others.

I used them years ago but then got fussy when I rebooted my collection...prefer crystal clear strips now, either on individual pages or stockbooks.

Gillian

Post by Gillian »

In that case, Rod, I think I’ll stick with what I’ve got.

Gillian

Cill Dara

Post by Cill Dara »

Gillian wrote:In that case, Rod, I think I’ll stick with what I’ve got.

Gillian
Hi Gillian, greetings from Cill Dara.

You may find some useful contacts from the attached link, from North of Ireland Philatelic Society.

http://www.cui.org.uk/NIPS/index.html

Gillian

Post by Gillian »

Cill Dara wrote:
Gillian wrote:In that case, Rod, I think I’ll stick with what I’ve got.

Gillian
Hi Gillian, greetings from Cill Dara.

You may find some useful contacts from the attached link, from North of Ireland Philatelic Society.

http://www.cui.org.uk/NIPS/index.html
Hi Cill Dara, thank you for your greetings and for the link.There's lots of interesting looking stuff there, but I don't see any activity beyond 2014. Wnat happened?

Gillian

Return to “NO question is too basic or silly - you ask - we WILL help you with it!”