The Great British Coin Hunt - 26 x new 10p coins released

A *LARGE* percentage of stamp collectors also collect various numismatic areas. This is YOUR little corner of the board to ask questions, seek advice, check values, and chat. Please join in!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

FairyFoot
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: The Great British Coin Hunt - 26 x new 10p coins released

Post by FairyFoot »

Still not seen any more of these over the last 18 months. I want my P for Postbox!
I am a Penpaller and Stamp User. I send therefore I receive. I muse on letters and stamps at correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk. I have a forum, A World of Snail Mail. I need to collect "Welt der Briefe" stamps from Deutsche Post. I may need help to postally use RM postage stamps - does anyone want to get into letter writing?
lesbootman
I was *ALMOST* online for post number TEN MILLION!

Post by lesbootman »

FairyFoot wrote: 14 Aug 2021 10:16 Still not seen any more of these over the last 18 months. I want my P for Postbox!
I've only ever received one in my change and that wasn't recently.

I suspect that they put a very limited number of the coins into circulation and sell the rest at premium prices. The ones that do enter circulation are soon removed.

10p coins don't seem to be used as much nowadays - automated tills seem to dispense 5p and 20p coins, skipping the 10p.

I sometimes see commemorative 50p or £2 coins in my change but they are usually "used" beyond being collectible.
Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind!
norvic

Post by norvic »

With the increase in card usage over the last 18 months for even a single coffee (like New Zealand), coin usage has diminished - car parks and shopping trolleys have seen more use for my coins than shops!
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock see Modern GB Blog Also almost everything non-GB postal history & postcards I show here is for sale: DM for details.
Mystery Postcard Nos: 265, 290/1/3, 304, 310, 320/2/4/6-8, 331/7/8, 344/6, 353/8, 360/1/3
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

norvic wrote: 16 Aug 2021 19:08 With the increase in card usage over the last 18 months for even a single coffee (like New Zealand), coin usage has diminished - car parks and shopping trolleys have seen more use for my coins than shops!
It's a bit like when we went to Iceland (in 2019), the people in the shops were surprised when anyone tried to pay with cash, even for a single postcard!
Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind!
FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

I did receive Benjamin Bunny (50p) and Shakespeare £2 in change last week (self-service, Asda), both in great condition and now "acquired" by someone else in the household...
I am a Penpaller and Stamp User. I send therefore I receive. I muse on letters and stamps at correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk. I have a forum, A World of Snail Mail. I need to collect "Welt der Briefe" stamps from Deutsche Post. I may need help to postally use RM postage stamps - does anyone want to get into letter writing?
GB 789
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by GB 789 »

FairyFoot wrote: 16 Aug 2021 22:18 I did receive Benjamin Bunny (50p) and Shakespeare £2 in change last week (self-service, Asda), both in great condition and now "acquired" by someone else in the household...
I have only received the ‘X’ 10p coin in change which was then removed from circulation like I assume pretty much all the others were. It seemed daft to release so few coins into circulation as the Royal Mint could have really encouraged coin collecting with this issue.

As no one really has the chance to collect these from their change now, buying the full set at a huge mark up is the only option which is a huge put off for any potential collectors, particularly youngsters.

I remember the thrill of the chase with the old big 10p coins prior to 1992 and trying to get the KGVI two shillings pieces that were still circulating as the decimal 10p. I even got lucky and got a pre 1947 silver example in my change once too! That got me interested back then and I’m sure this opportunity with the A to Z coins could have got more collectors onboard.

The £2 seem to be fairly easy to get on the whole but the 50p designs seem more tricky.
norvic

Post by norvic »

GB 789 wrote: 17 Aug 2021 05:56
FairyFoot wrote: 16 Aug 2021 22:18 I did receive Benjamin Bunny (50p) and Shakespeare £2 in change last week (self-service, Asda), both in great condition and now "acquired" by someone else in the household...
I have only received the ‘X’ 10p coin in change which was then removed from circulation like I assume pretty much all the others were.
Please expand: what has been removed from circulation and why?
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock see Modern GB Blog Also almost everything non-GB postal history & postcards I show here is for sale: DM for details.
Mystery Postcard Nos: 265, 290/1/3, 304, 310, 320/2/4/6-8, 331/7/8, 344/6, 353/8, 360/1/3
GB 789

Post by GB 789 »

norvic wrote: 17 Aug 2021 06:26
GB 789 wrote: 17 Aug 2021 05:56
I have only received the ‘X’ 10p coin in change which was then removed from circulation like I assume pretty much all the others were.
Please expand: what has been removed from circulation and why?
Apologies for the vagueness of the statement. What I meant was that I received the 10p ‘X’ design (as shown below) in change and I kept it thus removing it from circulation. This is what has probably happened to the vast majority of the other 10p pieces with these designs that were released so they are no longer circulating.
A to Z 10p with the ‘X’ design
A to Z 10p with the ‘X’ design
norvic

Post by norvic »

Oh yes, I follow, thanks. I thought you meant that some had been withdrawn.

Yes, with so few coins and so many serious and ad hoc collectors I would think that there are many 'part sets' out there.
FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

Still haven't spotted any for a while in the wild... but have just checked my change and found a 50p Beatrix Potter (2016, 1866-1943).
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

I've not seen one of the alphabet 10p's for many a moon. They'll all have been snaffled now I imagine.

I do get the occasional commemorative 50p coin. recently I've had a couple of 2019 Paddington at St Paul's (or something I mistook for St Paul's); one 2020 Diversity Built Britain and one 2015 Battle of Britain - the 2015 coin was in pretty good nick and hadn't been circulating much since issue.
peterh
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by peterh »

Since my last post in this thread, I have finally received one in change- ‘W’
1BEBC19C-1644-498E-A9C1-C51BA8DFF9BD.jpeg
norvic

Post by norvic »

lesbootman wrote: 02 Feb 2022 10:28 I've not seen one of the alphabet 10p's for many a moon. They'll all have been snaffled now I imagine.

I do get the occasional commemorative 50p coin. recently I've had a couple of 2019 Paddington at St Paul's (or something I mistook for St Paul's); one 2020 Diversity Built Britain and one 2015 Battle of Britain - the 2015 coin was in pretty good nick and hadn't been circulating much since issue.
What’s cash? The last time I used any was for a parking machine, and most of those now take cards.
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

norvic wrote: 02 Feb 2022 19:40
lesbootman wrote: 02 Feb 2022 10:28 I've not seen one of the alphabet 10p's for many a moon. They'll all have been snaffled now I imagine.

What’s cash? The last time I used any was for a parking machine, and most of those now take cards.
A number of my elderly (yep, even more elderly than me) relatives pester folk for change. In order to generate some to assist them I occasionally use actual folding money in shops.

I've often struggled using those new fangled parking payment machines.
cgm
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by cgm »

peterh wrote: 02 Feb 2022 10:34 Since my last post in this thread, I have finally received one in change- ‘W’Image
I was vaguely interested in these when they came out, but have NEVER seen one in change, despite counting church collections and buying a few bags from the bank. I was not and am not going to pay £2-£4 each for them.

By contrast, I have had success finding most of the 50ps and £2s issued in the last 20 years.
FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

I still haven't found P for Postbox... Does anyone have one and want to say "ner ner na ner ner!" to me!
norvic

Post by norvic »

Have you had any KC3 50p yet?

My Crown PO had some before Christmas and they all went quickly, but one of the staff said she got given one in change at the supermarket!
FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

No, no new 50p though did find a Peter Rabbit 50p in the lockers (locks with 50p).

I want to see the coins circulated (and stamps too... there's a comment on the Postcrossing forum asking where to buy stamps other than RM online).
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

norvic wrote: 16 Aug 2021 19:08
With the increase in card usage over the last 18 months for even a single coffee (like New Zealand), coin usage has diminished - car parks and shopping trolleys have seen more use for my coins than shops!

Wait until they appear with the grim, jowled, visage of Charles Da Thurd .... absolutely on-one will accept those. :)

When USPS issued Richard Nixon stamps, folks literally refused to take them. Millions were destroyed. :!:

All over the USA, postal clerks reported that people were asking for any stamp other than Nixon. The ‘USA Today’ article quoted a Post Office sales manager in Houston saying 9 out of 10 customers turned down the Nixon stamp when it was offered to them.

Only 80 million Nixon were printed, and it is understood a large chunk were destroyed later. Numbers ’sold’ have never been released. USPS know what they were doing – they issued 400 million of the Marilyn Monroe stamps, released the following month! The Reagan issue was so popular they issued it again a year or so later one 37c, the other 39c - 'due to popular demand.'

Nixon is quite a contrast to the 1993 29¢ Elvis Presley issue. USPS claims it is their largest selling commemorative stamp in history. Over 517 million stamps were sold. They reportedly made a phenomenal profit on that one stamp. 8-)

Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
norvic

Post by norvic »

norvic wrote: 28 Feb 2023 08:45 Have you had any KC3 50p yet?

My Crown PO had some before Christmas and they all went quickly, but one of the staff said she got given one in change at the supermarket!
They are already in circulation.
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

norvic wrote: 28 Feb 2023 18:26
norvic wrote: 28 Feb 2023 08:45 Have you had any KC3 50p yet?

They are already in circulation.
I got one in my change from a small sub-PO before Christmas but I haven't seen any in circulation, although there will be some out there. Most of my transactions are card only.
FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

Still checking change for an A to Z 10p. I spoke to a cashier who put a KC3 50p in my change and she said she hadn't seen many of the 10p, and also said that most don't check how fancy the coins are!
POP
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by POP »

Never had any of these 10p in my change, i get the 50p and the £2 coins but never see any 10p's ??
lesbootman

Post by lesbootman »

POP wrote: 10 Feb 2024 08:11 Never had any of these 10p in my change, i get the 50p and the £2 coins but never see any 10p's ??
I think I have had just one of the alphabet 10p coins in my change, and that was a year or two back.

I see the commemorative 50p and £2 coins fairly frequently, but quite often they are circulated to the extent that they are not really collectible.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Cash is still the option of choice in MANY places.

We were in Brunei this week and saw an item at the market for $B5 -- about $US3. ZERO card acceptance there in the Bazaar.

Had no local money but offered the stallholder either a $US5 or 5 euro note that I did have. No deal oddly.
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
norvic

Post by norvic »

Global Admin wrote: 12 Feb 2024 23:21

Cash is still the option of choice in MANY places.

We were in Brunei this week and saw an item at the market for $B5 -- about $US3. ZERO card acceptance there in the Bazaar.

Had no local money but offered the stallholder either a $US5 or 5 euro note that I did have. No deal oddly.
Two years ago of course we were still in a pandemic crisis. Now things have changed: I used cash today for a purchase. And The Post Office, now the substitute for so many closed banks, has this announcement today:

Post Offices see £3.37bn worth of cash transactions in January 2024; up over £140 million on January 2023
New figures today (12 February) reveal Post Offices handled £3.37 billion worth of cash deposits and withdrawals in January 2024, up over £140 million on January 2023 (£3.23 billion).

Personal cash deposits totalled £1.42 billion in January. This was just short of the all-time record set for a single month which was in September 2022 (+ £372,000). Personal cash deposits were up almost 8% month-on-month (£1.32 billion, December 2023) and up 2.5% year-on-year (£1.39 billion, January 2023).

Business cash deposits totalled £1.14 billion in January, the highest amount in a single month since June 2023 (£1.17 billion). Business cash deposits were up almost 4% month-on-month (£1.10 billion, December 2023) and up 3.3% year-on-year (£1.11 billion, January 2023). The all-time record for business cash deposits in a single month was set in August 2022 (£1.2 billion).

In December, Post Offices 11,500 branches saw a record £930 million worth of personal cash withdrawals. December is always the busiest month of the year for cash withdrawals in the run-up to Christmas. In January, personal cash withdrawals over the counter totalled £778 million. This was up 10% year on year (£709 million, January 2023).
And that excludes people buying stamps and paying for services in cash, as it only refers to banking transactions.
OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Let's hope their computer systems get it all right!!!

Return to “Coins, Banknotes, tokens, medals and all things NUMISMATIC!”