The Great British Coin Hunt - 26 x new 10p coins released

A *LARGE* percentage of stamp collectors also collect various numismatic areas. This is YOUR little corner of the board to ask questions, seek advice, check values, and chat. Please join in!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

FairyFoot
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

The Great British Coin Hunt - 26 x new 10p coins released

Post by FairyFoot »

I picked up my first new 10p coin in my change from buying 10 of yesterday's new issue of stamps! C for Cricket! What I really wanted was P for Postbox as I had two letters to feed it!

http://blog.royalmint.com/the-great-british-coin-hunt/
The Great British Coin Hunt, Quintessentially British A – Z

March 1, 2018 by Anna Powell

It’s here, the day has come and we are so excited to finally introduce to you the Great British Coin Hunt, Quintessentially British A-Z!

From the Angel of the North to the red-chested Robin, an English Breakfast to the perfect brew – we have used the alphabet to map out the A-Z of what makes Britain great. And, for the first time ever, we have struck commemorative designs on a 10 pence piece!
I am a Penpaller and Stamp User. I send therefore I receive. I muse on letters and stamps at correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk. I have a forum, A World of Snail Mail. I need to collect "Welt der Briefe" stamps from Deutsche Post. I may need help to postally use RM postage stamps - does anyone want to get into letter writing?
HalfpennyYellow
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Re: The Great British Coin Hunt - 26 new 10p coins

Post by HalfpennyYellow »

Here are pics of the coins (screenshot from the above link):
I really like the J for Jubilee, P for Post Box and S for Stonehenge designs.
Big Cat
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by Big Cat »

I still haven't seen one of these ...

I did visit the Royal Mint website when they first came out, thinking I would order a proof set ~ until I saw the price: £52 (face value £2.60), plus a tenner or more for a card folder to display them in :shock:
FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

https://www.royalmint.com/coinhunt/faqs/

Where can I find the coins?

The circulating coins will be distributed through The Post Office network from the first week of March so Great British Coin Hunters will be able to find them in change throughout the month. The Royal Mint will also release additional coins in relevant locations throughout 2018.
OK, we are in mid-April now! The post office counter lady did emphasis that I was getting a new 10p in my change!

So, get ye to the post office! They should also still have some of April's new stamps. Pay by cash and you might be lucky!
I am a Penpaller and Stamp User. I send therefore I receive. I muse on letters and stamps at correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk. I have a forum, A World of Snail Mail. I need to collect "Welt der Briefe" stamps from Deutsche Post. I may need help to postally use RM postage stamps - does anyone want to get into letter writing?
Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

Very disappointed that L is not for Lundy. :shock:
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, lighthouses, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Ubobo.R.O. wrote:Very disappointed that L is not for Lundy. :shock:
L is for Loch Ness Monster, that famous non-existent British animal!

Lords Cricket Ground will be p!ssed! Not to mention London Bridge.
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

Global Administrator wrote:
Ubobo.R.O. wrote:Very disappointed that L is not for Lundy. :shock:
L is for Loch Ness Monster, that famous non-existent British animal!

Lords Cricket Ground will be p!ssed! Not to mention London Bridge.
Cricket got C, and I really can't think of another word beginning with C that describes us Brits better. Oh, hang on ...... nope, better not. :D :D

London Bridge is the boring one - a lot of people mistake it for Tower Bridge, which is the pretty one.

I think the most disappointing is M (Mackintosh).
Looking back, it could have been Maritime, or looking forward, Mosque.

The release of these to the public is so low key, you are more likely to get a US quarter in your change, as a 10p.
Philexx
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Re: The Great British Coin Hunt - 26 x new 10p coins release

Post by Philexx »

My favourites are the Postbox and King Arthur, my wife loves the '99 Icecream :D
Join the Stampboards Monthly Cover Exchanges
FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

I went back to the post office today to get some Welsh 1st class definitives as an excuse to see if I could get more 10p coins. It looks like the Post Office receives them in batches, and all the nice post office counter woman had seen was C for Cricket. Might be a while before P for Postbox or L for Nessie get released into circulation.
ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

FairyFoot wrote:Might be a while before P for Postbox or L for Nessie get released into circulation.
I'm not sure. There certainly seems to be a hoard already in Derbyshire

(To be fair, some listings start at 99p).

The premium will soon blow over - they will issue billions.
Scottish set, Welsh set, Cultural Diversity set etc .....

It would be more interesting if they issued them in "proportion" of scrabble tiles

I foresee a day when venues give you admission for the 10p's spelling out the attraction name, although I'd also expect llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch station to see a drop in visitors during that promotion. :D :D
FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

ViccyVFU wrote:
FairyFoot wrote:Might be a while before P for Postbox or L for Nessie get released into circulation.
I'm not sure. There certainly seems to be a hoard already in Derbyshire

(To be fair, some listings start at 99p).

The premium will soon blow over - they will issue billions.
Scottish set, Welsh set, Cultural Diversity set etc .....

It would be more interesting if they issued them in "proportion" of scrabble tiles

I foresee a day when venues give you admission for the 10p's spelling out the attraction name, although I'd also expect llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch station to see a drop in visitors during that promotion. :D :D
In the Welsh alphabet, that isn't so many letters!!!
Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

I'd love to get a handful of the L for Loch Ness coins! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

(I don't need uncirculated, just regular use.)
If anyone come across a few...pretty please.
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"
fchd
I was online for post number TEN MILLION!

Post by fchd »

Just got my first one the other day, "E" for English breakfast.
FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

Received my first Loch Ness Monster!
Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

I think they are quite cute, they need to do it here in New Zealand, as they did it in 2008 on a page of stamps.

Charging way over face value is not though, these are change coins, not rare collectable pieces made out of silver.
Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

Finally, I think this idea is great, as being 10p coins worth like 19 cents our money and 18 cents Australian, all the children can afford to hunt the coins, which are well designed and also educational.

I can see school assignments based around what is depicted on each coin, and it will help bring children into coin collecting. Unlike the USA with their 50 or so quarters, these all came out at once, not over 10 years.

Perhaps stamp issuers could learn from this experience.
FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

Has anyone seen these in the wild? My local main post office hasn't seen any except in the early days, and that was C for Cricket.
varunpaul
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by varunpaul »

That quick.
ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

I was thinking about this last week (after I picked up a free coin mag at the York Stamp Fair, containing an article about them).

I also have also yet to see one in the wild. (I've asked a few times in the Post Office, but they have not noticed them, either).

Each quarter Changechecker.org publishes a scarcity index, and their initial one for the A-Z series is here:

https://www.changechecker.org/category/scarcity-index/

(For posterity, I scanned the table)

It notes that initially 2.6m coins were issued, and a further 2.6m are currently entering circulation, so there should be 200,000 of each coin in play (which does make you wonder why there is a "scarcity index" at all !).

Its certainly a challenge to collect one, at present, let alone the set!!
peterh

Post by peterh »

Like others above, I have not seen any of these in change so far.

That being said, I guess we all use coins a lot less - tends to be contactless plastic most of the time.
FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

There's only one I would really like, and you guessed it, P for Postbox!
ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

FairyFoot wrote:There's only one I would really like, and you guessed it, P for Postbox!
Bearing in mind you've seen "none to date", and its "just one of the twenty six you might eventually see", you could just take the hit and end that search tonight.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-A-Z-2018-ALPHABET-10p-COIN-HUN ... 3338650432

At that price, valuing my time, I couldn't even get to the shops and back, let alone a three month search.

(NB other vendors are available - this just seemed a reasonable mid priced one for an uncirculated example)

Job done?
fchd

Post by fchd »

Since April, I've managed to increase my collection from 1 to ...... 3

Along with the "E" I already had, I've since picked up Q for queueing and U for Union Flag.

They really are quite elusive.
FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

Main post offices have them for £2.50 each, although I haven't checked recently.
ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

FairyFoot wrote:Main post offices have them for £2.50 each, although I haven't checked recently.
Yet, earlier you wrote .....
FairyFoot wrote:https://www.royalmint.com/coinhunt/faqs/
Where can I find the coins?

The circulating coins will be distributed through The Post Office network from the first week of March so Great British Coin Hunters will be able to find them in change throughout the month. The Royal Mint will also release additional coins in relevant locations throughout 2018.
OK, we are in mid-April now! The post office counter lady did emphasis that I was getting a new 10p in my change!

So, get ye to the post office! They should also still have some of April's new stamps. Pay by cash and you might be lucky!
So if the Post Office have held them back, to sell them privately, instead of distribute "as per the Royal Mint instructions", I'd say that was a scandal in the making....
FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

That is the uncirculated coins, presumably akin to the stamp presentation packs. My main post office sells other Royal Mint stuff too.

Elsewhere, I commented about not seeing many of these 10p coins. Someone said they hold hope because they've been noticing the Beatrix Potter 50p pieces coming through in change.
HalfpennyYellow

Post by HalfpennyYellow »

I guess these are similar to the €2 commemorative coins. Malta has issued 16 of them since 2009 (there are two or three issues per year). They're supposed to be in general circulation, but I have only seen about three. Regarding commemorative coins from other countries, occasionally you see some from Germany, Italy, Austria or some of the other larger countries, but they're still scarce to find in general circulation.

To keep on topic with the British 10p coins, I also did not see any when I visited London last summer. I also wanted to keep one of each of the regular coins in circulation as souvenirs, but surprisingly I was also unable to find a 2p coin with the current design (the coat of arms series introduced in 2008). :lol:
GlenStephens

Post by GlenStephens »

A GOOD IDEA, POORLY EXECUTED it seems?

If these were mass circulated it gets LOTS of new folks into collecting coins. As history shows occurred with the USA State Quarters mega successful issue. :idea:

Glen
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

My son has seen the Houses of Parliament coin in the hands of someone else at school but was not impressed with the design!
Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

GlenStephens wrote:A GOOD IDEA, POORLY EXECUTED it seems?

If these were mass circulated it gets LOTS of new folks into collecting coins. As history shows occurred with the USA State Quarters mega successful issue. :idea:

Glen

Same with the 2 New Zeland war coins, the 2018 50 cents armistice was restricted to one roll of 20 per customer with a $5 delivery fee per roll. Considering NZ Post never charges to deliver anything locally unless you request express or insured service, it is clearly a mark up.

Yet some how I know people who have access to hundreds of them and have yet to see one in change - 2 million were issued, but 1 million went to Military personnel and descendants of war veterans, and another 900k went to be sold as rolls, so just 100k in circulation.

This sounds exactly like these British train wrecks - none of my British friends have got one in change yet - then again none of them can be bothered looking at 10p coins - a denomination that is pretty much worthless.
Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

ViccyVFU wrote:I was thinking about this last week (after I picked up a free coin mag at the York Stamp Fair, containing an article about them).

I also have also yet to see one in the wild. (I've asked a few times in the Post Office, but they have not noticed them, either).

Each quarter Changechecker.org publishes a scarcity index, and their initial one for the A-Z series is here:

https://www.changechecker.org/category/scarcity-index/

(For posterity, I scanned the table)

It notes that initially 2.6m coins were issued, and a further 2.6m are currently entering circulation, so there should be 200,000 of each coin in play (which does make you wonder why there is a "scarcity index" at all !).

Its certainly a challenge to collect one, at present, let alone the set!!

The UK has a population of 60 million, 5.2 million coins in circulation, thats one per 12 people and if you take out babies, the invalids, prisoners and mentally subnormal it may drop to one coin per 10 people.

Congratulations English - you have to be 1 in 260 people to get a set. Seriously, surely they would issue at LEAST 2 million of each coin. Look at Australia, they issue numerous commemorative 20c, 50c, $1 coins each year and are super easy to find in change.

Yet I bet you Royal Mint can sell you a uncirculated or proof set for a gigantic mark up (Like £29) or they even have silver and gold versions too.

My guess is that many of the 10p coins are on ebay for like £2 each, just like here where numerous people are selling the Armistice 50 cents for as much as $5 per coin plus $5 postage and handling on Trade Me.

If coin and stamp collectors can hardly find these coins in change, how on earth does the Royal Mint expect kiddies and newbies to start collecting, when they have a better chance of unearthing a roman coin hoard in their back garden :lol:
Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

Just went to change checker and you can see they ahve updated the list. The original list is from October 2018, this one is dated January 19 2019

As you can see, Stonehenge has gone from the most common coin to the rarest and the most scarce. I wonder why that is.

Villages is the most common. Otherwise there are a few changes. All credit to changechecker.com where I found the image.

They also rate the 50p and £2 coins that are commems. Glad now I accidentally sold my Libraries 50p and that my 1995 £2 end of war coin is worth something (It sits in a 1995 Uncirculated set though).
ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

What this revised chart tells us, or rather confirms, is that there still is "a sucker born every minute".

These coins were issued in equal measure, so I imagine their rarity index is entirely their take on "how to move their stock".

Stonehenge - position 26 (the commonest) and King Arthur - position 25, but now we are supposed to believe they are 1 (the rarest) and 2??

Greenwich Meantime was number 5 (scarcity rating of 59), but now, just three months later, falls to 21 (scarcity rating of just 4).

By all means, collect the set, but I'd give Changecheckers scarcity index a wide berth.

Aim to pay 10p each, and not a penny more!!

(The aftermarket only exists as a form of "care in the community").
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Does that rating company SELL these coins?

Sounds like a Ponzi scheme a bit to me!
Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

Shheeesshhh!

I am the messenger and I agree, make them widely available and the only price being that you find them in your change, buy a 90p item, pay with a pound coin and hope you get lucky.

I also think that list may be a bit bogus and made to order, but these guys did a break down a few years ago for some tabloid about the old pound coins and which were the rarest as well.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/2523342/rarest-valuable-one-p ... h-fortune/

I know its the sun, but scroll down and the first words are "Blog changechecker.org"

Oh and by the way the 2011 Edinburgh pound is the rare one.
norvic

Post by norvic »

The 10p coins were available in our post office originally, but only in individual packs for ? £2.50? each.

I asked about them yesterday and they reckoned that they had seen very few in circulation, and that Q was the scarcest (I thought that's what they said but may be wrong).

I haven't seen any in change.

Regarding the €2 coins mentioned earlier, we have commemorative £2 coins and many are very common, with the 2005 St Paul's cathedral coming in at 10,000,000 copies and Abolition of Slavery 2007 at 8,500,000. Scarcest are the Commonwealth Games and Olympic Handover/Centenary coins with less than 1,000,000 each.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock see Modern GB Blog Also almost everything non-GB postal history & postcards I show here is for sale: DM for details.
Mystery Postcard Nos: 265, 290/1/3, 304, 310, 320/2/4/6-8, 331/7/8, 344/6, 353/8, 360/1/3
ViccyVFU

Post by ViccyVFU »

Global Administrator wrote:Does that rating company SELL these coins?

Sounds like a Ponzi scheme a bit to me!
Well, Changechecker is the "hype division" of 288 Group....

... who will sell you the coins through the operating division company of 288 Group
- A name familiar to all : Westminster Collections.

So, yes, basically a rip of scheme for the gullible.

Or as they might phrase it .....

"An opportunity for individuals to join in a hunt, to collect the very essence of what being British means".

(The very essence, in this case, being "more money than sense").

Royal Mint are losing a lot of credibility by not making sufficient quantities available at face.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

ViccyVFU wrote:
Royal Mint are losing a lot of credibility by not making sufficient quantities available at face.
Agree a no brainier, if the shiny shoe brigade are wiping the floor with these huckster Pop Charts of them!
FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

I was away from home for a couple of months this year, so frequented a different little post office. They hadn't had any of the 10p in the post office, but one of the counter staff said that she had a few at home. She did however have the 50p Beatrix Potter coins, quite a few, in the cash draw. We may now have a full, or almost full set of the one issue.

I might have imagined it, but I think I saw the uncirculated 10p pack on sale for £4 each in a post office. Listed as £2 on the Royal Mint website (but then there's p&p to add on). I forgot to snap a picture with my phone.
FairyFoot

Post by FairyFoot »

I just missed out on K for King Arthur, in change as the cashier also fancied it!
maszki
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by maszki »

Didn't Australia Mint issue a similar alphabet set back in 2016?

https://www.ramint.gov.au/news-media/news/2016-alphabet-collection-here
norvic

Post by norvic »

maszki wrote:Didn't Australia Mint issue a similar alphabet set back in 2016?

I thought that was this year!
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock see Modern GB Blog Also almost everything non-GB postal history & postcards I show here is for sale: DM for details.
Mystery Postcard Nos: 265, 290/1/3, 304, 310, 320/2/4/6-8, 331/7/8, 344/6, 353/8, 360/1/3
maszki

Post by maszki »

norvic wrote:
maszki wrote:Didn't Australia Mint issue a similar alphabet set back in 2016?

I thought that was this year!
So did I. My son was complaining a couple of weeks ago that he wasn't getting the new coins in his change, but the Mint press release says 2016.
Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

TWO different issues gents.
1. 2016 Royal Australian Mint Animals issue
2. 2019 Australia Post issue.
Only the second issue will you be able to get in your general circulation change. I have received one.
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, lighthouses, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !
lesbootman
I was *ALMOST* online for post number TEN MILLION!
I was *ALMOST* online for post number TEN MILLION!

Post by lesbootman »

The 10p coin isn't the most popular coin in the UK. Self service tills might give you 5p or 20p coins but never 10p. I've only ever seen a G and a W from the alphabet set and a bus driver I know had those. He gave me the W 10p and that is dated 2018.

Before the bank branch closed I got quite a few £5 bags of 10p coins to sift through (and then spend) and there were none of the alphabet coins in any of the bags.

No doubt however many were released into general circulation were quickly spotted and snaffled.
Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind!
peterh

Post by peterh »

I still haven't seen a single one of these in change.
maszki

Post by maszki »

It seems that one country produces an issue about dinasaurs ..everyone follows.

A country produces issues about mushrooms...suddenly mushrooms are popping up everywhere

Do the issuing authorities organise this. or is it a case of 'follow the leader'?
Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

Well the Alphabet coin fad has spread to Australia, although in their defence they had the Alphabet stamp issues.

I agree with all the above now, a complete and pointless rip off - not only will true collectors eventually admit defeat and buy the overpriced mint offerings (Take the glitz off it, its a stainless steel coin that costs less than a penny to make and has a face value of 10p). Each single sold coin is a £2.49 profit for the mint.

Not so much alphabet, but limited minting collectibles are all the rage to make mundane low value coins, lucrative money spinners and collectors items. Take here in New Zealand, the Anzac 2015 and Armistice 2018 50 cent coins (A coin similar in size and composition to a 10p coin ironically) were minted in low batches of 1 and 2 millions and at least half went to armed forces and mint officials along with all the bigwigs.

The few sold to collectors were sold in mint rolls that had limited sales over the counter in 2015 (2 per person) and then in 2018 to stop hoarding made them Mail order sales only with a $5 postage and handling fee per $10 roll.

It caused the opposite as they appeared on Trade me straight away at an average price of $3 per coin. Today you can still buy them at hyped up prices and many are "legit" collectibles traders.

Limited edition coins are just the latest scam to milk collectors.
fchd

Post by fchd »

fchd wrote:Since April, I've managed to increase my collection from 1 to ...... 3

Along with the "E" I already had, I've since picked up Q for queueing and U for Union Flag.

They really are quite elusive.
Nearly 12 months after getting my third, today I was given the "V" coin in change to make it up to 4.

I must have handled many thousands of 10p coins in that time drawing a complete blank.
Princestamps

Post by Princestamps »

My friend from the UK (Aged 82, lives near Durham) sent me the 5 10p coins he has accumulated since mid 2018. I am very grateful to get them.

There was a 2019 A, O and X and a 2018 Z and K

5 coins in nearly 2 years - I mean wow and he uses cash for nearly everything.

Also got the 2018 and 2019 Paddington bear 50p's - wonder if they are doing anymore for 2020 and subsequent years.

Return to “Coins, Banknotes, tokens, medals and all things NUMISMATIC!”