WANTED 1897 Western Australia (WA) 6d Lake Lefroy Goldfield local stamp

Others might have what you need -- be specific .. you never know what is out there! But be CERTAIN you have turned "ON" your email access in your account settings, or no-one will be able to contact you. You NEVER know what members of this board have for sale. Do ASK for what you are looking for!

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

MJ's pet
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Wanted. 1897 West Australia 6d Lake Lefroy Goldfields lo

Post by MJ's pet »

MJ's pet wrote: why don't you pay by direct transfer from your bank?
Global Administrator wrote:Probably because he knows the bank charge him a $25 fee and screw him an extra 3% or 4% via the usual bank fake exchange rate.
The $25 bank fee and bank exchange rate is peanuts. All depends on the foreign exchange rate which no one has control over.
Global Administrator wrote:Anyway these of course will sell for several times what our friend wants to pay so all moot really. :lol:
You would think so.
MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

dukeprince wrote:Does anyone else think that the signed HM is a bit strange that it looks like HW and slopes opposite to normally found in signing in reddish ink.
Here we go again. :roll:

Dukeprince finally finds this stamp temporarily in his price range and he doesn't know if he wants to buy it now. :roll:

For a start, the cancellation is not HM but H&M = initials of Hillier & Maskell.

It looks nothing like HW - it is "H" "&" written over each other following by "M".

The final letter does not look like a "W".

It is not "normally" found in red ink. It is found in red ink. There is one in black ink on Elsmore's website. It is found in indelible pencil of differing colours - violet and grey. The tete-beche pair looks to me like it is signed in red pencil, not ink. That is 5 different modes of cancellation for starters.

The Corinphila example (Lot 3176) is patently used with a Coolgardie cds that is genuine and not faked. Used examples with the Coolgardie cds are scarce and are the "gold standard" of used copies. Why the hand-wringing about the manuscript cancel?

You are worried about the cancellation sloping downwards instead of upwards. Given the cancel was quickly applied by hand to small sheetlets, I can't see that this matters. Pope & Reynolds state: "the normal practice was to break the printed sheetlets into singles and cancel them before use". It is a set of handwritten initials, not an overprint. There are all kinds of variations in the mss looking at used examples.

A while back I asked if you had seen the census by Pope et al of mint and used examples. You didn't answer so I presume the answer is "of course not". Silly me. Maybe obtaining that would be a good idea? :idea:
dukeprince
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by dukeprince »

MJ's pet wrote:
dukeprince wrote:Does anyone else think that the signed HM is a bit strange that it looks like HW and slopes opposite to normally found in signing in reddish ink.
Here we go again. :roll:

Dukeprince finally finds this stamp temporarily in his price range and he doesn't know if he wants to buy it now. :roll:

For a start, the cancellation is not HM but H&M = initials of Hillier & Maskell.

It looks nothing like HW - it is "H" "&" written over each other following by "M".

The final letter does not look like a "W".

It is not "normally" found in red ink. It is found in red ink. There is one in black ink on Elsmore's website. It is found in indelible pencil of differing colours - violet and grey. The tete-beche pair looks to me like it is signed in red pencil, not ink. That is 5 different modes of cancellation for starters.

The Corinphila example (Lot 3176) is patently used with a Coolgardie cds that is genuine and not faked. Used examples with the Coolgardie cds are scarce and are the "gold standard" of used copies. Why the hand-wringing about the manuscript cancel?

You are worried about the cancellation sloping downwards instead of upwards. Given the cancel was quickly applied by hand to small sheetlets, I can't see that this matters. It is a set of handwritten initials, not an overprint.

A while back I asked if you had seen the census by Pope et al of mint and used examples. You didn't answer so I presume the answer is "of course not". Silly me. Maybe obtaining that would be a good idea? :idea:
Some good information, thanks its helpfull , but why the Barbs are always added is it to make me feel inadequate or is something else occuring.
MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Dukeprince - If I were you, and I was going to spend a few grand on one stamp, I would be obtaining all of the considerable literature on it, reading it, and understanding it. But that is just me.

Please see feel free to ignore this advice and carry on as you were.

"You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink".

Both of the 6d Lake Lefroy in the Corinphila sale have expert certificates. Chris Ceremuga obviously has no doubts about the used example.

ImageImage
You were concerned about the H&M cancel. I do not think there is any reason to be.

Some of the used examples which I posted above are not cancelled "H&M" but have a post office cancel. This suggests, as Pope et al, remark, that "H&M" was more in the nature of pre-cancel which was not always applied. Ergo, if you want to be sure that "your" example is in fact used, you would want to buy one with a postal cancel if you had the choice.

It is possible, at least in theory, that an unused example could have been cancelled posthumously in pencil or ink (think of the 1930s LHI provisionals). I'm not suggesting that was done, simply that those with postal cancel have come off an envelope or parcel and seen service. I think they are better items but other people might have a different view.

On the other hand, some collectors expect to see "H&M" on a used example as the proprietors of the service were so well known.
dukeprince

Post by dukeprince »

OK, information has been taken aboard, any advice what would be the discount for the thins as described in the certificates, in your opinion.
A Helmich
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by A Helmich »

MJ's pet wrote:
The Corinphila example (Lot 3176) is patently used with a Coolgardie cds that is genuine and not faked. Used examples with the Coolgardie cds are scarce and are the "gold standard" of used copies.

Not the "gold standard".

My rankings are;

Manuscript with dumb obliterator would be the best.

Manuscript with Coolgardie cancel applied by a compliant postal clerk would be next.

Manuscript.

Coolgardie cancel from April to June, applied per favour. These didn't see use but were CTO.

Kalgoorlie postmarks are applied illegally, with some back dated. Coolgardie postmarks outside April to June 1897 are also applied illegally.
Protect the Black Swan, hunt ducks.
Exposing forgeries.
A Helmich

Post by A Helmich »

ImageImage

In 2011, the count was over 70, not 40.

Current count is 51 mint and 46 used (counting the tete-beche as 2).
Exposing forgeries.
A Helmich

Post by A Helmich »

MJ's pet wrote:
Kalgoorlie postmark of November 1896. As the Lake Lefroys had not been printed yet, the postmark has been back-dated. This strongly suggests the manuscript is fake.

Most likely suspect is postal clerk AE Green, who had 50 Lake Lefroys and was selling them. And was known to have published the wrong start date for the Lake Lefroys (November 1896). As used fetched more, well, do I need to say more.
Exposing forgeries.
dukeprince

Post by dukeprince »

A Helmich wrote:
MJ's pet wrote:
Kalgoorlie postmark of November 1896. As the Lake Lefroys had not been printed yet, the postmark has been back-dated. This strongly suggests the manuscript is fake.

Most likely suspect is postal clerk AE Green, who had 50 Lake Lefroys and was selling them. And was known to have published the wrong start date for the Lake Lefroys (November 1896). As used fetched more, well, do I need to say more.
Many thanks your kind advice , I hold your opinions in high regard.

I have placed a bid on the used Corinphila 6d lefroy but wish not to go too high as it has thins and multiple add on purchase costs, would apreciate your estimation on price.

By any chance could you email me via bottom button if you know of a rough example for sale hiding someplace, I have a few $K saved and ready Regards , john
MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

A Helmich wrote:
Not the "gold standard".

My rankings are;

Manuscript with dumb obliterator would be the best.

Manuscript with Coolgardie cancel applied by a compliant postal clerk would be next.

Manuscript.

Coolgardie cancel from April to June, applied per favour. These didn't see use but were CTO.

Kalgoorlie postmarks are applied illegally, with some back dated. Coolgardie postmarks outside April to June 1897 are also applied illegally.
Thanks A Helmich, that is very useful. What I was getting at was that a postmarked example was probably a better buy than an example with manuscript alone.
MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

dukeprince wrote:I have placed a bid on the used Corinphila 6d lefroy but wish not to go too high as it has thins and multiple add on purchase costs, would apreciate your estimation on price.

By any chance could you email me via bottom button if you know of a rough example for sale hiding someplace, I have a few $K saved and ready
Honestly, dukeprince's tyre-kicking knows no bounds. :roll: :roll: :roll:

"it has thins and multiple add on purchase costs" - as do nearly all of them. Add on purchase costs have existed for 40 years.

"would apreciate your estimation on price" - this is for you to work out. Is there any other free advice you would like?? You seem intent on spending a few grand on a stamp yet you have :idea: no idea :idea: of price versus condition. Many 6d Lake Lefroys have a thin, missing perf/s, poor colour or are off-centre, yet this makes little dent in the auction realisations because they are incredibly popular.

"apreciate" - the correct spelling is "appreciate". Dictionaries are free.

"if you know of a rough example for sale hiding someplace" - These Lake Lefroy stamps regularly sell for $5,000-$6,000. Do you really think that someone here has an example to sell *YOU* for one-third of retail? :lol: Are you delusional?

Nearly all of them have faults one way for another. What in your mind constitutes "a rough example"?
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

dukeprince wrote:
I have placed a bid on the used Corinphila 6d lefroy but wish not to go too high as it has thins and multiple add on purchase costs, would apreciate your estimation on price.
As advised, (but you of course may not have read or comprehended it) Corinphila estimates are silly jokes. It is an Estate sale - they do not care about what they estimate things at.

It will sell for 5 to 10 times their estimate. The market decides, as always. The prices for these are pretty well known. Only YOU can determine how much to bid. Bidding 2 or 3 times estimate is a waste of your time etc.
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
dukeprince

Post by dukeprince »

MJ's pet wrote:
dukeprince wrote:I have placed a bid on the used Corinphila 6d lefroy but wish not to go too high as it has thins and multiple add on purchase costs, would apreciate your estimation on price.

By any chance could you email me via bottom button if you know of a rough example for sale hiding someplace, I have a few $K saved and ready
Honestly, dukeprince's tyre-kicking knows no bounds. :roll: :roll: :roll:

"it has thins and multiple add on purchase costs" - as do nearly all of them. Add on purchase costs have existed for 40 years.

"would apreciate your estimation on price" - this is for you to work out. Is there any other free advice you would like?? You seem intent on spending a few grand on a stamp yet you have :idea: no idea :idea: of price versus condition. Many 6d Lake Lefroys have a thin, missing perf/s, poor colour or are off-centre, yet this makes little dent in the auction realisations because they are incredibly popular.

"apreciate" - the correct spelling is "appreciate". Dictionaries are free.

"if you know of a rough example for sale hiding someplace" - These Lake Lefroy stamps regularly sell for $5,000-$6,000. Do you really think that someone here has an example to sell *YOU* for one-third of retail? :lol: Are you delusional?

Nearly all of them have faults one way for another. What in your mind constitutes "a rough example"?
It would be delusional of me to expect plain advice from you, you are delighted to add barbs and as many as possible , my collecting of rare stamps seems unworthy from just a mere Stamp collector with no standing in the old boys club , some wonder why members cease perhaps consider why.

Dictionaries are free, gosh you waited some time for that one but yes you have pointed out my lack of education as well as the rest of my short commings , you know what else if free....good manners.
bluecourier
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by bluecourier »

Dukeprince is correct. Is tyrekicking such an offence?
JT
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

dukeprince - no-one (except you) is suggesting there is any ''old boy's club''. It is a competitive hobby for scarce material, and cash is king.

Auctions do not ask if you are a fisherman, bus driver, barista or Neuro Surgeon. They just enter your maximum bids.

No Auction gave Arthur Gray any discount. If anyone was in the ''old boy's club'' it was he! If he bid $5000 and got it, they invoiced him $5000 plus fees. Arthur understood the market for scarce stamps - pay WHAT you need to pay to secure it, and many of those $5000 buys got him $50,000 - a decade or so later, and he had the joy of ownership and exhibiting it in the interim. WIN WIN.

You are the only one here who is in the market for this stamp. :mrgreen:

Go ahead, place your best bid, and the market will soon tell you if you read the market correctly - or not.

I've already made my firm prediction on that outcome - but please keep us updated. :lol:

As I posted, the unique Tête-Bêche pair of these later sold at public auction for about 10 times what I sold them for - and I made a nice profit at the time.

History clearly tells us, those who paid market price for this scarce stamp 30 years back, 20 years back, and 10 years back - are all smiling. These stamps go up in value each year. The same as 1913 Roos top values, and other such truly scarce and sought after pieces go up in value each year, history also tells us.

I sold a 1913 FU £2 First Watermark Roo last week for $5,000. The seller bought it off me for $2,500, a decade or so back. I made some money both times, but he made FAR more. There is a lesson in there somewhere. :lol: :lol:

Glen
Click HERE to see superb RARE & unusual stamps - FIXED low nett prices, high rez pix + NO 20% buyer fees!
32_seeker
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by 32_seeker »

If I may relate to this amusing thread -

Years ago I recall bidding on a rare block. I was the underbidder on it. Two weeks later, to my surprise, the buyer offered it to me for 3x his cost as I had registered my collecting interests with him.

I learned my life lesson, of course. If you want it, step up, don't dream it will sell cheap.

Knowledgeable dealers never let items of value and rarity pass cheaply at auction.
MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Only a few days to go until dukeprince can put us out of our collective misery. :evil:

Here is some free advice - bid on both but place a LIMIT bid, which will limit your bidding to one lot. That way, you double your chances of winning at least one of them. :idea:

Given the advice you have received above about "fake" (or backdated) cancels on used, I would have a preference for a mint example. But it is not me that is in the market for this stamp.

Sometimes where there are multiple lots of something, the first sells for less than the second (basic auction psychology).
MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

32_seeker wrote:Knowledgeable dealers never let items of value and rarity pass cheaply at auction.
Exactly. Dukeprince is obviously banking on being extremely lucky and having a "Steven Bradbury" dream run to the auction podium. :lol:

You would have thought that he would be competing against dealers buying for stock also.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

MJ's pet wrote: You would have thought that he would be competing against dealers buying for stock also.
Forget dealers at these prices. BIRD COLLECTORS.

Dr. Woo in Hong Kong has spent $ MILLIONS to buy near all the 4d Inverted Frame WA Swans in private hands. Money no object.
MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Would think that Dr Woo already has everything he needs in this area.

Dukeprice is competing against collectors of Locals, extremely popular worldwide.
W5LDY
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by W5LDY »

To attempt to acquire one of these, you have to bid against the combined clout of Bird collectors, Cinderella and local collectors and Australian State collectors, a formidable task requiring deep pockets.
MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

W5LDY wrote:To attempt to acquire one of these, you have to bid against the combined clout of Bird collectors, Cinderella and local collectors and Australian State collectors, a formidable task requiring deep pockets.
This is true. The point about Dr Woo is though that once one he has the 6d Lefroy in mint, used and the tete-beche pair, there isn't much to be gained in exhibiting terms by purchasing more singles. Unlike the inverted frame, the presence of a heap of singles is going to make the exhibit look bloated.

Does Dr Woo already own the Lake Lefroy tete-beche pair? (Someone will know). 8)

While there are plenty of mint and used Lefroy singles about (something in the order of c.100?) there is always demand for them.
MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

The Corinphila auction is to be held on 11 June.

Stand back everybody, dukeprince is about to bid. Anything is liable to happen.

dukeprince bidding at the Corinphila auction
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

MJ's pet wrote: Does Dr Woo already own the Lake Lefroy tete-beche pair? (Someone will know). 8)
Pretty sure Watson sold it to the late stamp Insurance company owner, Hugh Wood in the UK.
MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Global Administrator wrote:
MJ's pet wrote: Does Dr Woo already own the Lake Lefroy tete-beche pair? (Someone will know). 8)
Pretty sure Watson sold it to the late stamp Insurance company owner, Hugh Wood in the UK.
Interesting. Which may mean it could come onto the market.
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Re: WANTED:1897 W.Australia 6d Lake Lefroy Goldfield local s

Post by Global Admin »

Hugh Wood owned some pretty amazing stuff.

The unique KGV 2d Tête-bêche pair etc, and I think the 3d Kookaburra Imperforate Mini Sheet that sold for $250,000 or so, and the unique unissued 1d and 6d Engraved pair etc.
mobbor

Re: WANTED 1897 W.Australia 6d Lake Lefroy Goldfield local s

Post by mobbor »

I don't know that this thread is all that amusing.

Dukeprince- good luck.
mobbor
dukeprince

Post by dukeprince »

mobbor wrote:I don't know that this thread is all that amusing.

Dukeprince- good luck.
Thanks Mobbor, some take some sort of delight in watching unfinancial Collectors trying to complete their collection with lesser quality Stamps, some think its an opportunity to perhaps belittle or lookdown at a mere Stamp collector in their midst.

Anyhow I have made my bid and will be somewhat surprised if I win , if I dont will it change anyone elses life whatsover, I think not but some may giggle at my loss , some may identify with me, such is life such is humanity in these times.
snaws

Post by snaws »

Totally Agree with mobbor on this. :x

The comments and ridicule above by some are not called for.

Good luck dukeprince.
Regards snaws
W5LDY

Post by W5LDY »

Hammer prices CHF2200 and 2600 (obviously nett of premiums etc etc)
Ubobo.R.O.

Post by Ubobo.R.O. »

One CHF is currently $1.45 AUS
Full time horse non-whisperer, post box searcher and lichen covered granite rock percher. Gee I'm handsome !
You gottem birds, lighthouses, butterflies, shells, maps, flags and heads on stamps ? Me wantem !
dukeprince

Post by dukeprince »

W5LDY wrote:Hammer prices CHF2200 and 2600 (obviously nett of premiums etc etc)
I missed out but the search continues for a faulty one , its a great hobby and worth the pain .

I learnt heaps from my first International Auction and the hobby is booming still, nice to discover what I own is worth more that I thought , much thanks to those who offered support.
bluecourier

Post by bluecourier »

All the best dukeprince. I have found that most of the members here are polite and supportive towards their colleagues.
JT
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

~$A4,500 invoice before any 10% ozzie GST added. Very close to what was predicted earlier.

No surprises there, to anyone who follows the actual market. That is what the real world price is - forget the idiotic Corinphila estimates, as predicted many posts earlier here. If they were estimated at $1 each they'd still cost ~$4,500 today.

And in a few years they will get $10,000. Such is the market in rare pieces from this region. And such is the wisdom for those who buy such pieces at real market rates, when they decide it is a gap they need filled. :idea:

Pride of ownership, collection completion, AND a fine capital gain. :idea:

I've sold about 10 of these over the decades, poor to superb, and tête-bêche, and all at a FRACTION of today's levels. The 1897 Western Australia 6d Lake Lefroy Goldfield local is just one of THOSE stamps, that does well historically. 8)
Global Administrator wrote:Anyone who has been following these Corinphila sales know the estimates are absurdly low.

As Rod and I have reported recently, they very often fetch 5 to 10 times the silly estimates, and then the Swiss add on about 30% for buyer fees, card fees, export VAT taxes and wacky shipping prices.

And then the ozzie Government charges you 10% local VAT upon entry.

Any 500 Franc Corinphila ''estimate'' can cost you $5000 landed.
MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

~$A4,500 invoice before any 10% ozzie GST added. Very close to what was predicted earlier.
Yep. The used example will cost the buyer ~$4,600. The question will be whether Australian GST is added.

People have been saying "good luck dukeprince" etc. etc. but luck has nothing to do with it.

This thread has belonged in the "ebay dreamers" category from Day One. :idea:

Dukeprince says he is "trying to complete their collection with lesser quality Stamps", which is fine. But the so-called mythical spacefiller 6d Lake Lefroy for under $1,000 or $2,000 does not exist. :idea:
MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water ...

Abacus Auctions have two 6d Lake Lefroys in their upcoming auction, 31 August 2019. I'll post pictures shortly.
MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

Abacus Auctions, 31 August 2019, Lot 705 Estimate: $4,000 Reserve: $3,000

LAKE LEFROY GOLDFIELD CYCLE MAIL: Swan 6d pink/pale green, well centred with the perforations better aligned than usual, small defects, unused. Reynolds & Pope Census #M36 of the 43 unused examples recorded. One of the few examples that don't have significant faults.
MJ's pet

Post by MJ's pet »

ImageImage

Abacus Auctions, 31 August 2019, Lot 706 Estimate: $1,250 Reserve: $950

LAKE LEFROY GOLDFIELD CYCLE MAIL: Swan 6d pink/green, the perforations more regular than usual, characteristic thins, small repaired tear at the base & repaired 17mm vertical tear at U/R, manuscript "H&M" cancellation. Despite the faults, the facial appearance is well above average. Ex Phil Collas. Chris Ceremuga Certificate (2002). [This is #U6 in the Reynolds & Pope Census]

*Dukeprince should buy this one. He may be in with a chance. Don't know who else would want it with the massive rip.

**Ceremuga cert. says "repaired tears". Does the plain English translation mean: "I put a hinge on the back over it".
Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

MJ's pet wrote:
Dukeprince says he is "trying to complete their collection with lesser quality Stamps", which is fine. But the so-called mythical spacefiller 6d Lake Lefroy for under $1,000 or $2,000 does not exist. :idea:

LL pants on fire. :D
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"
admin
Site Administrator
Location: That's on a need to know basis - and YOU do not need to know!

Post by admin »

Auction estimates mean absolutely nothing sadly.

These were clearly Estate lots - Auctions can estimate them at stupid low prices - with such rare pieces that means nothing.

Even if estimated at $1, the badly damaged copy will still invoice near $A2000. In my view. We will all soon see if I know anything about this market. :lol:

Remember with auction house buyer fee gouges, and wacky shipping and insurance fees etc, a $1,650 bid will see your credit card charged over $2000. Not that most bidders ever seem to realise that bog basic math. :roll: :roll:
dukeprince

Post by dukeprince »

I think I will have crack at this one, though I will need to start saving again as when I missed the Corinphila one I spat the dummy and used the money to buy a Royal Enfield 350 classic motorcycle.

I scared myself a few times but I am up and away now , after a 30 year absence and now aged 72 I was indeed rusty , feels great to ride again.

I call the Bike 6d as it was caused by missing that stamp, ask me what feels better on a sunny day, jumping on the Bike or opening the Stamp Album.
dukeprince

Post by dukeprince »

Its now aprox 1.30pm east time and lot 706 lake lefroy Stamp damaged is probably over, any one have a end price please, no info on the site at this time.

I have made a bid but am in the dark as to what resulted so any info much apreciated, when are results normally published?
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

dukeprince wrote:
I call the Bike ''6d'' as it was caused by missing that stamp, ask me what feels better on a sunny day, jumping on the Bike, or opening the Stamp Album.
The exact opposite answer to the same same question on a rainy Winter day? :idea:
dukeprince

Post by dukeprince »

dukeprince wrote:
I call the Bike ''6d'' as it was caused by missing that stamp, ask me what feels better on a sunny day, jumping on the Bike, or opening the Stamp Album.
The exact opposite answer to the same same question on a rainy Winter day? :idea:
Yep, you are correct , I now have two great things to do , both make me feel like a kid again.

Any idea when they will advise results of todays Abacus Stamp auction Sheriff , I am new at this Auction business and fumbled my way through the bidding process and would like to know result of lot 706 please.
Rod Perry
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by Rod Perry »

dukeprince wrote:
dukeprince wrote:
Yep, you are correct , I now have two great things to do , both make me feel like a kid again.

Any idea when they will advise results of todays Abacus Stamp auction Sheriff , I am new at this Auction business and fumbled my way through the bidding process and would like to know result of lot 706 please.
706 sold hammer $1400 (705 [at] $3200)

Rod
Preserve DNA - retain covers intact. Scientists may be grateful!
Commercial covers represent “Stamps in Action”: Philately’s last Great Frontier
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Folks as repeatedly posted here hammer prices are meaningless and misleading.

Please quote ALL Auction realisations as invoice prices after buyer Fees and GST added, before post and insurance, which here are -

Lot 705 - $A1680

Lot 706 - $A3840
snaws

Post by snaws »

Hi dukeprince.

You can listen to the auction on YouTube, Hope this link works below. Just scroll across to 2.48:06

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_7JOPeb31o
Regards snaws
dukeprince

Post by dukeprince »

Rod, you are the bearer of good news, unless something weird happens I am the top bidder so this initial posting of mine has born fruit .

I have had help , criticism, sarcasm and many enquiries as to my sanity, but the end result is my West Australia local collection is now complete, thanks to all Stampboarders.
dukeprince

Post by dukeprince »

snaws wrote:Hi dukeprince.

You can listen to the auction on YouTube, Hope this link works below. Just scroll across to 2.48:06

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_7JOPeb31o
Terrific , many thanks, one wonders why that resource was not mentioned on their website?
Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

Well done if you did secure "a lifetime goal". :mrgreen: And under 2k after all the fluff and fluster that has been posted.

I didn't. What I was after was at the back of a book amongst lots of other stuff (so I thought "go for it and sell the rest off later"), and even though I near doubled the estimate, still got blown out of the water and will have to keep waiting. I though my bid was high enough.

How often do you come across a complete strip of the 20 positions of Aussie KGV Die II. Pricey enough in Green, impossible for me in Red... ah well. :cry:
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

Return to “WANTED by members - Stamps or FDC or Accessories or images etc.”